I don't understand Sentinel, please help

DarknessEternal

My sentinel started feeling better once I picked up Boxing/Kick/Cross Punch.

I think it's because it nudged them into the same sort of arena my Bane Spider lives in, as this mostly melee (but has a ranged attack chain) hybrid that has some team support utility. It's not 1/1, since the Bane Spider is mostly melee with a bit of range and the sentinel is the opposite, but it's the same general zone.

The comparison ain't flattering, sadly. The inherent doesn't quite do enough for the team compared to a Bane's leadership auras, and I don't get the same feeling of power, wading through mobs and laying waste as the bane does. 

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

3 hours ago, Crasical said:

If an inherent is the only thing it's bringing to the table, should the Sentinel be marketing itself with this team support gimmick?

Thankfully, for the poor Sentinel it does not market itself around its inherent.  It markets itself as a damage dealing AT that is more durable than a Blaster and can handle the aggro it gets.  That's the paraphrase of the AT's description.  At no point does it say that it assists its team to do more damage or any other fluff text like it.  The entire concept of the Sentinel being some kind of warped support AT is born from forum posters.  

Now, as to whether or not it brings enough to a team that is debatable.  It may not go as far as some like, and that is understandable.  

2 hours ago, Haijinx said:

I thought the other thread said melees are no good for teams, only ranged.  Now Sents aren't either?  

Sentinels are never good for teams, solo, logging into, looking at, cosplaying as, or recommending.  The only good thing about the Sentinel, and apparently its entire purpose, is to create shitposts.  That's the true power of the AT...  its to troll everyone.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, oldskool said:

Sentinels are never good for teams, solo, logging into, looking at, cosplaying as, or recommending.  The only good thing about the Sentinel, and apparently its entire purpose, is to create shitposts.  That's the true power of the AT...  its to troll everyone.  🤣

And y'all have engaged him for days. Unbelievable.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:07 PM, Riverdusk said:

IMO, it's an ideal AT for new players.  You get the classic blasting that a lot of new players look for when they start and you are much more sturdy out of the box than a blaster.

This is spot on.  Believe it or not, we do occasionally get completely new players from time to time, and I usually recommend a Sentinel for newbies who want to play ranged chars.  It's a shallow learning curve that gets folks into the game and into CoH's mechanics quickly and easily, without penalizing them early with debuffs and mezzes.  Once they get used to how the game plays with "training wheels", they're usually better prepared to take those off later with their subsequent alts.  And ultimately, that's what CoH is really about: the alts.

• Like 2

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

I agree with the sentinels are the 'nice and easy' AT. They really make the road to 50 easy if you're actually going to play it instead of stand around and get leveled up by someone. 

Once you're there, they are better solutions to most challenges as all the tools are now available. 

• 2 weeks later

I showed up very recently(Though I played a little many decades ago on a friend's account), don't know anything about the 'meta' of the game and am discovering a lot of things for the first time.

And I have to say so far, out of my various characters I've made, I really like what sentinel brings to the table. See, I don't even worry about range, I run into melee before doing any of my powers, and then range is just for anyone who starts running away. I have no idea if that's an optimal playstyle, but it feels really good. To run in as this invulnerable tank, lobbing high powered water at people's faces, and pummeling them with brawling and the various 'fighting' powers. It's really cathartic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saying that, I kind of wish Sentinels had more melee abilities beyond the 1 we can get from the epic pools. Something more like the Assault sets for Doms.  I mostly like Sents because of the near invincibility factor and I don't have to worry about hugging the mobs to do damage. But! if I have a few hard hitting melee abilities and they're weren't a major hinderance to get in range to use, I'd use them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, underfyre said:

Saying that, I kind of wish Sentinels had more melee abilities beyond the 1 we can get from the epic pools. Something more like the Assault sets for Doms.  I mostly like Sents because of the near invincibility factor and I don't have to worry about hugging the mobs to do damage. But! if I have a few hard hitting melee abilities and they're weren't a major hinderance to get in range to use, I'd use them.

I thought the class would be a hybrid.  Hard hitting melee/medium range blast/a hold/medium defense/some support.  Kind of like a leadership class.  Not the highest DPS but can hit hard at times and hold and blast agro breaking MOBS, provide some support to a group. Like a leadership class. Not sure how this meta would work as I just recently started playing.   

On 5/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, underfyre said:

Which is why I've said from day 1 they should have been assault/armor instead of range/armor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Which is why I've said from day 1 they should have been assault/armor instead of range/armor.

This notion seems to have a strong following, though personally I don't want it. I want a ranged armored AT. I'm really no fan of the assault sets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, underfyre said:

Assault would be way cooler than just ranged, that's 5sho. And they could have Earth Assault. I want an Earth Sentinel.

Most of the Assault sets have few AOEs and/or melee AOEs, so that just make them worse then they already are.  However, I'd -certainly- would like to see an Earth Blast set of some kind, eventually.  Although, I could see that might be a little.. boring?  'I'm throwing a rock at you!'  '..Now I'm throwing an even -bigger- rock at you!'  'Oh?  That wasn't big enough?  Well, here's an even BIGGER rock!'  'You get a rock!  And you get a rock!  EVERYONE GETS A ROCK!'

Perhaps, instead of the T4 blasts that most of the sets ended up getting, maybe an extreme damage melee control-type attacks might have been a better option.  That way, we could have 2 good melee attacks in the high-end and fill in with pool powers for filler, if we wanted.

28 minutes ago, Teirusu said:

Most of the Assault sets have few AOEs and/or melee AOEs, so that just make them worse then they already are.  However, I'd -certainly- would like to see an Earth Blast set of some kind, eventually.  Although, I could see that might be a little.. boring?  'I'm throwing a rock at you!'  '..Now I'm throwing an even -bigger- rock at you!'  'Oh?  That wasn't big enough?  Well, here's an even BIGGER rock!'  'You get a rock!  And you get a rock!  EVERYONE GETS A ROCK!'

Perhaps, instead of the T4 blasts that most of the sets ended up getting, maybe an extreme damage melee control-type attacks might have been a better option.  That way, we could have 2 good melee attacks in the high-end and fill in with pool powers for filler, if we wanted.

I mean I've given it a minor amount of thought, but yeah, it kind of devolved into throwing rocks.

T1 - Throwing small pointy rocks

T2 - Worse DPA but harder hitting version of throwing pointy rocks that people think is better but isn't

T3 - Earthquake cone (Dominator Fissure, but with damage behind it), or a rock that explodes targeted AE style (I like this one better)

T4 - The best version of throwing rocks, probably Hurl Boulder

T5 - aim

T6 - Fossilize from controller set

T7 - Very big boulder?

T8 - Targeted AE version of Mud Pots, but with more damage

T9 - Earthquake

1 hour ago, Teirusu said:

Earthquake(fall PBAoE), earth fist(single target ranged pushback), earth impaling spears(erupting targeted small AoE, hold), earth saw (cone of blades sliding across the ground vertically), mudslide(cone pushback), Boulder crush (single target with damage to nearby characters), diamond sword attack(single target resistance passing attack). A lot can be done with earth honestly.  

8 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I suggested this a year ago or more, and everyone hated this idea. LOL

Basically leave the range stuff, but add in Assault sets.  Let players decide. 

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

I suggested this a year ago or more, and everyone hated this idea. LOL

Basically leave the range stuff, but add in Assault sets.  Let players decide. 

This would be my preference since I don't want any of the assault business. 

On 5/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, drbuzzard said:

This would be my preference since I don't want any of the assault business. 

Same: I'm not a fan of "assault"/blapping.  I prefer completely ranged, which is why I like Sentinels and skip all of the melee powers in the secondaries when I play a Blaster.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer