Fastest Exp/Inf Farmer

Snarky

I recently finally got a Farmer up and running (on an alt acct) so that I can PL my projects whenever I want.  It is a relatively solid SS/Fire/Pyre Brute.  i just T3'd him and will be filling out his Incarnate powers as they are pretty spotty right now.  Musc Core Alpha, Pyronic Core Judgement, Barrier Core Destiny, Reactive Core Interface, and Assault Core Hybrid.  That is the plan anyways.  In those future days when I have time I will get him Melee Hybrid and a second (and/or third) Destiny as well.

Now that I have this alt acct set up I look at my main account with....no farmer.  You can really rake in the cash and I love fighting mobs.  So....  What is actually the top AT/powersets for clearing stuff out?  Are there 3-5 that are real similar?  Is there one particular AT-power setup that is much better?  Of course I am talking custom maps.  My fire Brute is doing okay in i Trials but that may just be luck as much as anything.  he has not done a lot of them.  But in a Fire tunnel he is a god.

Active (asteroid) = ice/fire blaster

Active (all other maps) = rad/fire brute

afk = rad/fire brute

For incarnates:
Alpha - Musculature Core

judgement = Ion Core Final Judgement (+dam)

Destiny = Ageless Core Epiphany (+recovery)

Lore = Banished Pantheorn Radial Superior Ally (untouchable pet)

Hybrid = Assault Radial Embodiment (Double hit)

Interface = Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface (75% damage proc, 25% -HP)

Reactive also works for interface, but as stuff dies so quickly Degen is probably better. The -HP works out as an extra attack.

• Thanks 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

There is a thread about this over the Guide section. I say this because they have all the numbers and the math and actual timed runs. That's where you'll find your answer.

Personally I'd go with something like Fire/Claws Tanker even if it's not the most min maxed. It's what I use to PL my alts to level 20. SS is great because of double rage but that advantage is diminished when soloing x8 mobs who will drop a ton of inspirations that can be macro combined into reds. And no 10 seconds of being unable to play.

• Thanks 1

something like this thread? as for tanker they are still quite behind brute speed played with the idea and also a water/fire blaster which was just too inconsistent also you lose the afk benefit you get on the brute most of my farming is done watching youtube or like right now rewatching start trek TNG

sidenote still recommend that fire/claws awesome tanker for "fun"

Edited by PainX
  • Thanks 1

Do you recall the data analysis the devs did regarding players and characters last year?  It included the following line:

"Because of the prevalence of Fiery Aura Brutes, we have included an additional graph for each category which excludes Brutes with Fiery Aura."

I have a fire/fire brute but spines/fire seems to be very popular.

• Like 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

What is actually the top AT/powersets for clearing stuff out?

Obviously it is quad-boxing your favorite with 3 Spines/Fire you are dragging on follow. If your not doing that you are pedestrian.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Flask said:

Obviously it is quad-boxing your favorite with 3 Spines/Fire you are dragging on follow. If your not doing that you are pedestrian.

i do not think i am up to quad boxing....but i have two comps up.  i can comfortable manage a rad/fire on my main with a spines/fire tag-a-long.  thanks for the inspiration

18 minutes ago, Snarky said:

i do not think i am up to quad boxing....but i have two comps up.  i can comfortable manage a rad/fire on my main with a spines/fire tag-a-long.  thanks for the inspiration

You want them on separate maps. You'll earn more.

• Thanks 1

What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

2 hours ago, America's Angel said:

Active (asteroid) = ice/fire blaster

Out of curiosity, don't enemies still reach you if you fly at ceiling cap?  Even if you soft-cap range?  I imagine Ice for Blizzard being targetable and having a much bigger target cap.  Why Fire if you're flying?

58 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

Out of curiosity, don't enemies still reach you if you fly at ceiling cap?  Even if you soft-cap range?  I imagine Ice for Blizzard being targetable and having a much bigger target cap.  Why Fire if you're flying?

If you're flying, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

52 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

You get way more mileage out of Agility +rech.  the 15%ish dmg from muscle is nothing to a brute

Agility lowers proc chances, which when you're at the damage cap is the only way of going faster.

• Thanks 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

11 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

To answer your question - yes enemies can still reach you on the asteroid map even if you're flying at the top, because the ceiling of the map is low.

However, this doesn't matter. You shouldn't be flying. Burn and your damage auras are a big source of your damage and they're melee range. (So if you're farming on a blaster, you're doing it in melee range.)

You mitigate damage by killing fast.

9 hours ago, kelika2 said:

You get way more mileage out of Agility +rech.  the 15%ish dmg from muscle is nothing to a brute

Nah.

You want to kill things as quickly as possible with procs firing with the highest rate possible. Agility is a terrible alpha for this.

For farming, the only alpha you want is musculature core. Endurance is handled by Ageless. Accuracy can be found with set bonuses. (My rad/fire 6-slots procs into Burn and IG, doesn't use tactics, kismet, or FA, and still has a 95% hit rate vs +4s due to IO set bonuses.)

Edited by America's Angel
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

To answer your question - yes enemies can still reach you on the asteroid map even if you're flying at the top, because the ceiling of the map is low.

However, this doesn't matter. You shouldn't be flying. Burn and your damage auras are a big source of your damage and they're melee range. (So if you're farming on a blaster, you're doing it in melee range.)

You mitigate damage by killing fast.

Ah OK cool.  I didn't realize you were meleeing on a blaster.  Do you build for melee/ranged def soft-cap or just chug purples and greens?  I wouldn't have thought a blaster could stand up to the hits that inevitably get through, even soft-capped.  I've taken other blasters into farms that only have S/L/R def softcapped and they have a hard time surviving (esp fire farms).  If you have a build, just curious to see it.  Cheers.

12 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

I have a Fire/Fire/Fire blaster with capped fire defense and fire resistance. Stands in melee in the asteroid map and barely ever even needs to pop a green. Aim for fire mitigation (or s/l if you want) and you’ll be fine. Whether you choose to farm against fire or s/l, just make sure to both soft cap AND get resistance. 

Edited by arcane

I'd imagine ice/fire is still the best for mega fast active farms....
but i'd be realllllly hesitant to call that the best farmer...
imho a good farmer is one that takes very minimal player effort to get rewards...... so an afk spine or rad /fire brute would be better long term...... you can easily run one of those in the back ground anytime you're gonna be playing CoH or generally just when you're around your house... I do most of my farming and power lvl'n while  I watch TV and then just reset the map in between episodes or w/e... so while that may not be as fast as a ice/fire for active farms... you'll end up with more time to play and more money overall farming passively with a brute.

Edited by BlackHearted
i c an't type
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, macskull said:

Agility lowers proc chances, which when you're at the damage cap is the only way of going faster.

4 hours ago, America's Angel said:

want to kill things as quickly as possible with procs firing with the highest rate possible.

Procs in irradiated ground/auras are not effected by recharge.  the way I do things on my firefarmers is melt them with DoTs

Mu mastery + interface DoT + Burn + complying primary.

rad > dark > spine > ss is my killing speed tiers on #2551, never timed myself

17 hours ago, Snarky said:

This is a good thing, Snarky. Quad boxing is against HC rules! I think maybe the poster in question was not clearly stating that they run 3 accounts at the same time, not 4. 

The truth is, there are so many flavors of farmers, most any opinion is clearly subjective and not absolute. Your own dark brute with a second build could likely be made into a farmer. Would it be as good as my afk spines/fire/fire brute? Probably not. But would it be good enough? Probably. 

The thing about a lot of us spines/fire farmers, we made them before some farmer/nerd type did some math and determined that a rad/fire was slightly better, numbers wise. How they reached this conclusion, I've no idea, but my contention is that if I want to make a rad/fire brute, and I did, there's a 50/50 chance that my spines/fire is better than my rad/fire. Why? Because of slotting. For whatever reason, TO ME - and only to me, as far as this statement goes - my ability to make a good build for spines/fire is better than my ability to make one for rad/fire. They are both quite good at sitting in a +4/8 when I'm not there and clearing an asteroid map. But the spines/fire clears faster, just standing in one place with burn on auto. It ultimately comes down to differences in slotting, really. 

So one player's ice/fire blaster might just be the best farming thing there is in terms of map clearing speed. But in terms of ease of play, the spines/fire would be my choice, whereas, the rad/fire would be the choice for other people. Use the SG build app and you'll find several farm builds to choose from. If you need help with the winter sets and such, you know where to find me. I have plenty to share. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Procs in irradiated ground/auras are not effected by recharge.  the way I do things on my firefarmers is melt them with DoTs

Mu mastery + interface DoT + Burn + complying primary.

rad > dark > spine > ss is my killing speed tiers on #2551, never timed myself

Agility would lower the proc rate of the first (non-pseudopet) burn attack, and the lack of musculature would lower every other attacks DPS.

The extra recharge from agility isn't worth this tradeoff.

• Like 1

Like so many others I have a Spines/Fire/Mu brute with 46% Fire Def, Max Fire resists, high Regen, high defense, etc etc.

For AFK farming he clears most maps in under 12 mins easy, no deaths.  For active farming, around 4mins or so.  I multi box (same machine) and generally am playing one of my many Alts on primary instance while PL’ing a new alt in an AFK farm (lowbie hidden) or just set the farmer to AFK farm for purples.  On a given weekday evening doing this I’ll PL a new alt to lvl 32-35, earn 4-5 purples between two of them and earn maybe 100MM in influence....all by just resetting mission and moving two accounts in/out of AE portal.  

Honestly if you are AFK farming speed isn’t as big of a deal as is damage and durability.  And of active farming.....I have an Archery/Fire, DP/Temporal and Fire/Energy blaster that can run the maps almost as fast as a tuned brute. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kelika2 said:

what?

Burn doesn't just summon a pseudopet.

See the bit in red below:

image.thumb.png.e0d028af20dd4ecc53f826f4ccb8904b.png

• Like 1