Please revert the Rage change.

I admit, I just don't take SS on defense base sets.  Not exactly a "solution", more of a workaround. 

But if my Invulnerable tank is still 90% S/L resists and above 70% to most others, I don't feel the crash that hard.

Also, I rarely solo on said tank.  So I have backup in the form of Def/Corr/Controllers/MM's, anyway. If i've got bubbles or a Fortitude or an Ice Shield, I don't really notice the crash anyway. 

I just find it funny that a Brute can have Fury and Rage running then also use an Enrage Inspiration. Kind of thematic overkill.

I have my own ideas about Rage and Super Strength, but it's a popular set so the probably the smartest idea is to change nothing.

A string walks into a bar and orders a beer...

"Hey, read the sign, we don't serve strings beer in this bar," says the bartender, thumbing over his shoulder.

"Aw, geez, be a pal and give me a beer, I've been walking all day and my threads are just beat!" The string replies, tired and increasingly agitated.

"Beat it! We don't serve strings beer in this bar, I told you!" yells the bartender.

At this the string is distraught and storms out.

Outside, he stomps about, cursing and angry. Suddenly, a thought occurs to him! Spinning about and mussing his end, the intrepid string sways back into the bar, nonchalantly.

"Barkeep, I'll have a beer," he smiles, sidelong.

"Aren't you that string that was just in here?!" The bartender exclaims.

"No sir, I'm afraid not."

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later

Ok, just another two Inf, but I just rebuilt one of my favorite toons from live.  He's a SS/WP Brute.  I didn't research first, so didn't  know about Rage crash change on Homecoming and used my old build. He was solid and fun on Live.  Now he's really just no fun at all, and I haven't been able to find any way to build him that will be.  He's much worse than my other characters, and he would be right in line with them--not at all "OP"--with the old mechanics. 

If the old Rage crash mechanic was a bug and not a feature, then that was manna from heaven and should have been embraced.  The end crash + highly resisted  S/L damage type is enough to keep SS in line with other Melee sets. 

I'm ecstatic to have the game back and very grateful to the Homecoming team,  and I love what they've done and are doing.  I don't post much, but I honestly think that this particular decision was a boner and I had to throw in my vote.

Edited by TheEmpyrean

So. This thread explains a lot.

Recently came back to the game and tried to recreate my Inv/SS main from the old Union server. Was wondering why I was getting frustrated/dying so much more on the basic IO build I've been playing. 

A few points, and just my opinion:

- The entire damage output of SS is based around Rage. Skipping it does not really feel like an option

- Just personal, but a power you absolutely must take to do comparable damage to other sets, but which will periodically cause you to die - completely kills my desire to play this, or any other SS build for now

- From the sounds of things, this 'fix' was unintentional, but my Inv/SS was kind of my favourite, so I'm finding this... annoying. I also had a Shield/SS I was planning that I'll be quietly shelving for now

- Super Strength is kind of a iconic thing in comics - maybe prioritising this once the next issue is out would be an excellent idea.

Sorry for the negativity - much appreciation here for the job the HC team have done - looking forward to the next issue, and I hope this is fixed soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Daniel_R said:

So. This thread explains a lot.

Recently came back to the game and tried to recreate my Inv/SS main from the old Union server. Was wondering why I was getting frustrated/dying so much more on the basic IO build I've been playing. 

A few points, and just my opinion:

- The entire damage output of SS is based around Rage. Skipping it does not really feel like an option

- Just personal, but a power you absolutely must take to do comparable damage to other sets, but which will periodically cause you to die - completely kills my desire to play this, or any other SS build for now

- From the sounds of things, this 'fix' was unintentional, but my Inv/SS was kind of my favourite, so I'm finding this... annoying. I also had a Shield/SS I was planning that I'll be quietly shelving for now

- Super Strength is kind of a iconic thing in comics - maybe prioritising this once the next issue is out would be an excellent idea.

Sorry for the negativity - much appreciation here for the job the HC team have done - looking forward to the next issue, and I hope this is fixed soon.

You wouldn't need many "set IOs" to boost your "basic IO build" to the point it was just as survivable as the overlapping Rage glitch on live gave you. 

Suggestions- 

Add in the two 3% Defense Uniques into two Resist Powers 

Pick up a couple of Kinetic Combat or a few Smashing Haymaker sets

Add in the two +Resist Uniques into two Def Powers 

6 hours ago, Haijinx said:

You wouldn't need many "set IOs" to boost your "basic IO build" to the point it was just as survivable as the overlapping Rage glitch on live gave you. 

Suggestions- 

Add in the two 3% Defense Uniques into two Resist Powers 

Pick up a couple of Kinetic Combat or a few Smashing Haymaker sets

Add in the two +Resist Uniques into two Def Powers 

Not to put too fine a point on it Haijinx, but some of us have small children and limited windows of time for gaming. Time spent farming expensive unique IO's is not really what I had in mind.

Bluntly, I just wanted to try recreating my old Inv/SS tank from a decade ago and play him. But I'm now finding out that the build has effectively suffered a significant nerf. I can choose to invest precious time hacking around it, I can roll something else, but what I can't currently do is recreate my old experience on my main. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed.

My Inv/SS tanker, his SS/Inv evil twin, and my SD/SS Captain Britain expy are all going to have to go on the shelf for now, unfortunately, while I wait to see what the dev team does. There's a whole bunch of interesting new content to try and more about to arrive; that ITF will just have to wait.

5 minutes ago, Daniel_R said:

Not to put too fine a point on it Haijinx, but some of us have small children and limited windows of time for gaming. Time spent farming expensive unique IO's is not really what I had in mind.

Bluntly, I just wanted to try recreating my old Inv/SS tank from a decade ago and play him. But I'm now finding out that the build has effectively suffered a significant nerf. I can choose to invest precious time hacking around it, I can roll something else, but what I can't currently do is recreate my old experience on my main. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed.

My Inv/SS tanker, his SS/Inv evil twin, and my SD/SS Captain Britain expy are all going to have to go on the shelf for now, unfortunately, while I wait to see what the dev team does. There's a whole bunch of interesting new content to try and more about to arrive; that ITF will just have to wait.

You will notice that this thread is over a year old.  It got Necrobumped a little while back.   So the chance they are going to remove the crash entirely seems unlikely.  

The Uniques really are not that expensive in the current Homecoming economy.  Run a few Task Forces, convert the Merits into converters and sell them and you will be able to afford them.  Or a few solo arcs etc.  

Otherwise perhaps try Street Justice.  It feels "strong"  with no rage crash.  The Moves are pretty much Standard Comic Book Fighting(tm).

4 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

You will notice that this thread is over a year old.  It got Necrobumped a little while back.   So the chance they are going to remove the crash entirely seems unlikely.  

The Uniques really are not that expensive in the current Homecoming economy.  Run a few Task Forces, convert the Merits into converters and sell them and you will be able to afford them.  Or a few solo arcs etc.  

Otherwise perhaps try Street Justice.  It feels "strong"  with no rage crash.  The Moves are pretty much Standard Comic Book Fighting(tm).

I've waited the best part of a decade to get my Inv/SS tank back; what's another one or two years eh?

Again, I think you're overestimating my available free time - perhaps I'll soften on the idea in the future, but just for now it's a question of priorities: I'd rather use that minimal time I possess to play the new stuff rather than a nerfed version of my favourite powerset combination from the live servers. YMMV.

2 hours ago, Supertanker said:

Hit Handclap right before Rage crashes and you'll have a lot less incoming attacks for most of the ten seconds.

Perhaps we can start a "One Cool Trick To Keep Rage from Killing Your Character" thread. There's a couple here to throw on the pile.

Edited by Daniel_R
spelling

Handclap is best because you can have it before Rage, but likewise use Earth Mastery Salt Crystals. Earth Mastery is so great in general.

None of these can mitigate Bosses and AVs though, so you're still screwed there. One cool trick for them: Pray you can land Knockout Blow and a epic/patron Hold, but purple patch? Run.

11 hours ago, Daniel_R said:

I've waited the best part of a decade to get my Inv/SS tank back; what's another one or two years eh?

Again, I think you're overestimating my available free time - perhaps I'll soften on the idea in the future, but just for now it's a question of priorities: I'd rather use that minimal time I possess to play the new stuff rather than a nerfed version of my favourite powerset combination from the live servers. YMMV.

Free time? Take a 50, any 50, (hopefully at least alpha unlocked, even if not slotted). Find ~ 15 minutes. Run an apex, or tm, or apex/tm combo, for 60-120 merits in generally 15 or 30 minutes of play.

Convert those merits directly into influence in less than 2 minutes (resell a wintero, a wintero + boosters, a wintero + cats, etc etc). Come back in 24 hours, collect loot, buy "expensive" set ios, rinse, repeat.

An entry level 50 char with alpha unlocked is the fast-forward button on getting "stuff". It is extremely fast, efficient, and lucrative. Plus, you hyperactivate your incarnate powers. Buy attuned atos with your ill gotten gains, email them to yourself, move on.

1 hour ago, Hew said:

Free time? Take a 50, any 50, (hopefully at least alpha unlocked, even if not slotted). Find ~ 15 minutes. Run an apex, or tm, or apex/tm combo, for 60-120 merits in generally 15 or 30 minutes of play.

Convert those merits directly into influence in less than 2 minutes (resell a wintero, a wintero + boosters, a wintero + cats, etc etc). Come back in 24 hours, collect loot, buy "expensive" set ios, rinse, repeat.

An entry level 50 char with alpha unlocked is the fast-forward button on getting "stuff". It is extremely fast, efficient, and lucrative. Plus, you hyperactivate your incarnate powers. Buy attuned atos with your ill gotten gains, email them to yourself, move on.

Thanks, I'll put this one on the pile too, Hew. In the meantime, I think I'll stick with my initial reaction, which is that there's now more fun content/powersets to play given the nerf to SS, and that I'll revisit this decision when I have more free time to spend. 

• Like 2

Regardless if this thread is necro, SS is in bad place right now and the bug fix was a bad idea.  Since doing a major update anyway, they should roll back or fix it.  But I guess I'll park my beloved old main till that day.  Just can't stand to to watch the poor guy struggle so hard compared to all my other melee toons 🤕.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, Daniel_R said:

Thanks, I'll put this one on the pile too, Hew. In the meantime, I think I'll stick with my initial reaction, which is that there's now more fun content/powersets to play given the nerf to SS, and that I'll revisit this decision when I have more free time to spend. 

Regardless of whether you play your SS character, if you send @Yomo Kimyata an in-game email, he'll send you 20 million inf per this thread.  That should give you a head start on making your new character nice and shiny. :-)

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

If Rage is so crappy and in such a poor spot, it could be completely reworked, for example;

Remove all defense and give you a huge placate but 500% damage. Then you can choose to be a blapper for the duration ...

Edited by Herotu

What are the effects of the crash?

Is it just a -20% Defense?

Because I also seem to recall a brief period of having no damage output.

Is there also an Endurance penalty?

Does the power need to have that much penalty to balance it when using Rage brings the damage performance in line with the other sets?

Also, I know it's a two minute bonus, but is the bonus equal to the damage and to hit bonus of Build Up?  Or does Build Up get bigger bonuses for a brief time with a quicker recharge?

I mean, I would rather the set's base damage was brought up to be in line with everything else and switch Rage to a Build Up effect than suffer so much penalty to have my attacks perform on par with other sets.

• 2 weeks later
On 11/8/2020 at 5:22 PM, Moka said:

Made the mistake of rolling a super reflexes/SS tanker. Ahhhh!!!!

And this is the problem.  You can get by on elec or other resistance only sets.  But i would think its unplayable on any sets that need defense to survive.  Thats alot of horrible combos with a death sentance every couple minutes.

To those who disagree go build an ice/ss.  Come back and report.  

Spoke with someone in game today who uses energy absorption to counter rage crash.  And that ice has counters to DDR.  So perhaps I was in error.  Ice armor isnt as bad as I think?  And the rage crash might actually be OK?

Edited by RageusQuitus2
energy absorption info