Please revert the Rage change.

How about we balance all the other power sets around having a certain inspiration too?

Yeah dude, that really was a shitpost.

I can't think of any scenario where having permanent Build Up with no significant drawbacks is 'balanced'. The 10 seconds of no damage and reduced defense/endurance once in a while is the significant drawback to having multiple stacks of +80% damage and +20% to-hit indefinitely.

If you absolutely cannot stand having -20% defense for 10 seconds, then pop a purple insp before the crash and ride through it.

My Bane survives almost exclusively because of orange insps and the occasional purple when his defense is debuffed. It's literally why they exist -- to give you a situational edge where you need it.

Rage is fine as it is, no change necessary.

You need to read what I already posted. Without being able to use rage, SS becomes a subpar set. And you never answered my question, how about we balance other power sets around using insps?

Insps are supposed to be for extraordinary circumstances, like tanking Recluse before the red Tower goes down, not so you can run your set as intended under normal circumstances, Rage is broken and needs to be changed

Without being able to use rage, SS becomes a subpar set.

So use Rage, and deal with the drawbacks you get for having perma-buildup.

And you never answered my question, how about we balance other power sets around using insps?

This is not a question that anyone has ever entertained or tried to entertain, so I won't entertain it.

Insps are supposed to be for extraordinary circumstances, like tanking Recluse before the red Tower goes down, not so you can run your set as intended under normal circumstances,

Insps are for whenever you want to use them. That's why you can carry 20, that's why you can buy them wholesale from the AH for dirt cheap, and that's why they drop so frequently. People who don't use their insps are like the people in other video games who save all their powerful guns/spells/etc for 'when they need it', and never end up using them because of that.

Rage is broken and needs to be changed

It really doesn't. Maybe you could try changing the way you use Rage.

And you never answered my question, how about we balance other power sets around using insps?

This is not a question that anyone has ever entertained or tried to entertain, so I won't entertain it.

The fact that you aren't able to answer this simple and fair question tells us everything we need to know. No power set should need two inspirations every two minutes just to function normally.

In fact, you can't seem to answer any of my points. You can't argue that rage is ok the way it is, so when super strength underperforms, your answer is just "deal with it". I have a better idea, fix it. Make it comparable other sets. Turns out that is possible. :)

I can't fathom your reason for wanting to keep rage broken, because fixing it wouldn't impact you in any real way, but it definitely needs to be fixed.

All that being said, I do appreciate you helping me make my point, however unintentional that was. No other set needs insps to function normally, so I do appreciate the fact that somebody who wants to keep rage broken is forced to admit that.

The fact that you aren't able to answer this simple and fair question tells us everything we need to know. No power set should need two inspirations every two minutes just to function normally.

In fact, you can't seem to answer any of my points. You can't argue that rage is ok the way it is, so when super strength underperforms, your answer is just "deal with it". I have a better idea, fix it. Make it comparable other sets. Turns out that is possible. :)

I can't fathom your reason for wanting to keep rage broken, because fixing it wouldn't impact you in any real way, but it definitely needs to be fixed.

All that being said, I do appreciate you helping me make my point, however unintentional that was. No other set needs insps to function normally, so I do appreciate the fact that somebody who wants to keep rage broken is forced to admit that.

Do you ever read your own posts? Holy shit, I've never seen an argument that comes across so passive-aggressive in my life.

I don't want to answer your question because I don't want to answer your question. I don't need a reason or hidden agenda to do so. I just refuse to answer it. You are not entitled to an answer, just as you are not entitled to have permanent build-up with no drawbacks.

Do you ever read your own posts? Holy shit, I've never seen an argument that comes across so passive-aggressive in my life.

I don't want to answer your question because I don't want to answer your question. I don't need a reason or hidden agenda to do so. I just refuse to answer it. You are not entitled to an answer, just as you are not entitled to have permanent build-up with no drawbacks.

Lol, it's not that you won't answer it, it's that you can't, and your posts are getting less and less coherent because of it. But that's okay, keep frothing at the mouth. I honestly don't care. My only goal here is to get rage fixed, because it's broken currently. And one of the best pieces of evidence demonstrating that is you literally saying that people need to use inspirations to play the power set normally. Again, if this is okay for SS, why wouldn't it be okay to change other sets to be balanced around having a certain type of inspiration available at all times? It's a fair question.

• Like 1

Lol, it's not that you won't answer it, it's that you can't, and your posts are getting less and less coherent because of it. But that's okay, keep frothing at the mouth. I honestly don't care. My only goal here is to get rage fixed, because it's broken currently. And one of the best pieces of evidence demonstrating that is you literally saying that people need to use inspirations to play the power set normally. Again, if this is okay for SS, why wouldn't it be okay to change ourselves to be balanced around having a certain type of inspiration available at all times? It's a fair question.

VnQ2CNW.gif

Just catching up on this thread, but some of the suggestions are reminding me of my great fear of players taking over the game and "rebalancing" everything into oblivion. I wish rage worked exactly as it did on live. If it cant, something like the -health or a -tohit ( would affect those temp power workarounds, but also hurt your knockdowns during the crash) or literally anything that doesn't change the way the power works in general are my vote. People also need to remember the devs mantra on live that powersets were balanced against SOs, not super IO builds. You start making power changes based on your uber expensive live build and you will ruin this game for everyone. My two cents, but complete overhauls of sets or powers just should not happen. We finally got the game back, don't ruin someone else's favorite character they've waited 7 years to play again.

• Like 2

I get the desire to be all powerful all the time, but ...

super strength was extremely sub par in damage until you got rage. rage took it from being an extremely meh power set to playable/great. -20% defense is pretty nuts

If the people think the viability and existence of a whole combat powerset hinges on a single, non-attack power, then you know there is something that needs to be done about it.

My only problem with the -Def crash is that it's effect on different sets varies so widely.  For a Res-only toon in Incarnate content it ups your damage taken by roughly 30% (ignoring any extra debuffs that hit you).  For a just soft-capped Def-based toon in regular content your damage taken can go up by more than 10 times that.

I think the idea of making it able to be resisted (and scaling it accordingly) would be a good way to go.

Continue the behavior and I will lock this topic.

Just give us an Ignore button, and we'll put him on it.  Thanks.

Click on the Profile link (or any of the options under it):

1LRgB9t.png

Hover over "Modify Profile", and then hover over "Buddies/Ignore List", then click on "Edit Ignore List":

fCC8lQh.png

Type the name of the offender into the "Member" textbox and click the "Add" button:

MkPu3G6.png

Tr139wy.png

• Like 1
I'm out.

Perhaps we can wrap this one up?

Perma rage is overpowered. There's no real way to debate that it isn't and multiple stacks of rage are even more so. Why? Perma buff with no penalty.

A 20% def reduction on crash for seconds.... Not a big deal. Just ask an invuln tank how they deal with the tier 9 crash: strategy. Period.

Lastly, as for the multiple stacks of debuff... NOT clicking the power is an option...

Super strength and it's damage output vs other sets is another topic.

Rage: 2 min buff, trade off 10 second debuff. Sounds fair. Try popping unstoppable, that debuff is a Whopper.

Perma-Rage HAS to have a downside. 

There's a reason Assault is expensive for a non-damaging toggle; realize if a full team is running that, you've got a damage buff equal to Rage.  yes, it's whole-team, but that still gives you a rough benchmark for how much EPS Rage should 'cost'.  .32 EPS times 8 players minus a 10% premium for team-buff equals 2.29 EPS for an 80% damage buff.  I'll use Targeting Drone for the ToHit buff despite it being a Blaster power, because using Focused Accuracy x4 tips way over into 'holy crap' terrain and the overall numbers are pretty close - that gives us 2.6 EPS.  The power lasts 2 minutes - a total END cost of 312 for the full duration if paid as a toggle.  The actual cost is ~30 END between activation and crash, 10 seconds of single-digit damage, and a hefty DEF debuff. 

I agree the DEF debuff severely penalizes Defense sets, and that's an issue.  The problem is, how can it be made 'set-neutral' without breaking it upward?  Changing it to -Resist punishes Resist sets.  Changing it to -Recharge penalizes sets with slow recharge.  Throwing every debuff in the world on it in tiny amounts make it not bite hard enough to matter.  -ToHit during the crash?  You're already doing zilch for damage, so why do anything but Taunt?  Taking it away entirely reduces the penalty too much, because the crash HAS to hurt to pay off the other 90% of the power's END cost.  It has to be noticeable and significant, something you always keep in the back of your head.  Otherwise, it's guaranteed to be the 'effectively a toggle' situation.  And this ties in to why the devs always resisted Super Strength Scrappers - if it's this much of a can of worms on Brutes and Tanks, toss crits into the mix and it's run like hell time.

My .02:  Split the crash evenly between Resist and Defense; -10% all Def, -20% all Resist, neither portion resistable.

The reason unresistable is because any set that specializes WILL have enough debuff resist to at least halve the portion of the penalty that matters to them, more likely cut it to almost nothing - and splitting it already halves the penalty.  2:1 Resist/Defense because that's the way they tend to scale, all types because hitting any specific type would invite a corner-case.  It's not AS rough on a single-style-focused set of defenses, while still being painful to layered sets - rough parity.  Is it the best answer?  Probably not.  But it's AN answer, and at least worth poking the numbers.

Also, I think I need to point out that the stacking preventing the debuff from triggering WAS fixed on Live, just very quietly; it was still a shitstorm on the forums, but I clearly recall the net effect on my SS/Invuln then.  It made things harder, but not auto-lethal; it meant I had to pay attention to the situation and as Solvernia said pop purples occasionally if we were still mid-fight.  As to his way of saying it...well, I hereby award 10 out of 10 Walter Sobchak points.

A 20% def reduction on crash for seconds.... Not a big deal. Just ask an invuln tank how they deal with the tier 9 crash: strategy. Period.

Invul tanks deal with the T9 crash by not taking the T9, because it is a bad, almost completely useless power. With a downside.

But that does make it very easy to deal with, you're not wrong.

Click on the Profile link (or any of the options under it):

Hover over "Modify Profile", and then hover over "Buddies/Ignore List", then click on "Edit Ignore List":

Type the name of the offender into the "Member" textbox and click the "Add" button:

Thanks PK! :)

.... .

Also, I think I need to point out that the stacking preventing the debuff from triggering WAS fixed on Live, just very quietly; it was still a shitstorm on the forums, but I clearly recall the net effect on my SS/Invuln then.  It made things harder, but not auto-lethal; it meant I had to pay attention to the situation and as Solvernia said pop purples occasionally if we were still mid-fight.  As to his way of saying it...well, I hereby award 10 out of 10 Walter Sobchak points.

Perma rage already had a downside, the damage and endurance crashes. But, as I recall, the ability to bypass the defense crash was purposely left in by Castle after he removed the ability to bypass the damage and endurance crashes, because the defense crash breaks the power, resulting in the situation we see now where SS is gimped. Rage is not a standalone power you can take for any melee set. It's built the way it is to work with SS, which is an underperforming set otherwise. Even with perma rage, SS is still not the best set, but at least it's comprable to other sets. There's no reason that rage can't be fixed so that works the same way that it did on live. Constantly popping Inspirations every two minutes is not an answer. we can't balance a power set around having an unlimited supply of a certain inspiration. That wouldn't be a viable answer for other sets, and it's not one here.

Unstoppable was mentioned as a similar situation, but it isn't. Having played an Inv/ SS tank since I1, the solution ended up being just don't take Unstoppable, because the crash made it a worthless power. Now that's fine, because invuln is still a very viable set without it. But SS is a completely different animal, the defense crash means you pretty much can't use rage in high-level content if you are tanking, and without rage SS is completely broken. The defense crash just needs to be removed, plain and simple. SS still won't be the best set after that, but at least it will be on par with other sets.

• Like 1

Even with perma rage, SS is still not the best set, but at least it's comprable to other sets.

Then maybe it's time to adjust some of the numbers in the SS powerpool and, in return, rage gets a downtune to be a regular build-up.

This would be a reasonable solution.

Even with perma rage, SS is still not the best set, but at least it's comprable to other sets.

Then maybe it's time to adjust some of the numbers in the SS powerpool and, in return, rage gets a downtune to be a regular build-up.

This would be a reasonable solution.

Absolutely not. As far as I'm concerned, Rage becoming a Build Up is off the table.

.... .

Perma rage already had a downside, the damage and endurance crashes. But, as I recall, the ability to bypass the defense crash was purposely left in by Castle after he removed the ability to bypass the damage and endurance crashes, because the defense crash breaks the power, resulting in the situation we see now where SS is gimped. Rage is not a standalone power you can take for any melee set. It's built the way it is to work with SS, which is an underperforming set otherwise. Even with perma rage, SS is still not the best set, but at least it's comprable to other sets. There's no reason that rage can't be fixed so that works the same way that it did on live. Constantly popping Inspirations every two minutes is not an answer. we can't balance a power set around having an unlimited supply of a certain inspiration. That wouldn't be a viable answer for other sets, and it's not one here.

Unstoppable was mentioned as a similar situation, but it isn't. Having played an Inv/ SS tank since I1, the solution ended up being just don't take Unstoppable, because the crash made it a worthless power. Now that's fine, because invuln is still a very viable set without it. But SS is a completely different animal, the defense crash means you pretty much can't use rage in high-level content if you are tanking, and without rage SS is completely broken. The defense crash just needs to be removed, plain and simple. SS still won't be the best set after that, but at least it will be on par with other sets.

I note you clipped the math where I explained that the total Endurance cost for the power was ~30 END - 5 for activation and 25% max Endurance for the crash; since every character starts with 100 END, the 'base' crash is exactly 25 END.  Yes, you can get upwards of 15 max END from accolades and the Body APP, but that at most pushes the crash to ~30 END, which STILL means you're paying 10% of the power's END-over-time cost plus 10 seconds of piddling damage.  10 seconds of crap damage every two minutes does not equal 270 END worth of downside. 

And you are completely incorrect regarding the Rage crash being unfixed - it WAS fixed on Live around the time Incarnates got released.  While Invuln is not the best set to use as a benchmark, it's what I had at the time; as i said, it didn't mean insta-death in a BATF or Lambda if it crashed.  It meant I used some Inspirations if still in combat, and paid attention to my Rage time left so as to not start a fight with Rage close to falling off, and if I got stupid, I paid the price.  That's called balance.  Eliminating the defensive aspect of the crash breaks the balance, unless it's replaced with something equally harsh.

]

I note you clipped the math where I explained that the total Endurance cost for the power was ~30 END - 5 for activation and 25% max Endurance for the crash; since every character starts with 100 END, the 'base' crash is exactly 25 END.  Yes, you can get upwards of 15 max END from accolades and the Body APP, but that at most pushes the crash to ~30 END, which STILL means you're paying 10% of the power's END-over-time cost plus 10 seconds of piddling damage.  10 seconds of crap damage every two minutes does not equal 270 END worth of downside. 

And you are completely incorrect regarding the Rage crash being unfixed - it WAS fixed on Live around the time Incarnates got released.  While Invuln is not the best set to use as a benchmark, it's what I had at the time; as i said, it didn't mean insta-death in a BATF or Lambda if it crashed.  It meant I used some Inspirations if still in combat, and paid attention to my Rage time left so as to not start a fight with Rage close to falling off, and if I got stupid, I paid the price.  That's called balance.  Eliminating the defensive aspect of the crash breaks the balance, unless it's replaced with something equally harsh.

I clipped that part because the post would have been insane long otherwise. That's what the ellipsis means, there was more to this, but I wanted to include the part I felt this most needed for context. That being said, I have no problem answering it. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of your end, and a serious hit to your ability to damage, is more than enough for balance. And of course, the more stacks you have, the more endurance you will lose. And don't forget  the other major drawback to rage,  which is the underperforming ability of the entire rest of the set without it. Again, you can't keep talking about Rage as a standalone ability. All the powers in a given set are intended to work together, and when taken together with perma-rage, and honestly no crash, SS is a balanced set

Now it's my turn. I noticed you ignored the part where I discussed SS is supposed to have perma-rage. That's the way it was intended. The set is completely broken without it, and yet you can't use it normally in high-level content, where it is needed most. And the defense part of the crash was still bypassable in live. So why do you think it's necessary to cripple a tank's ability to tank in high-level content just to have the dmage on this set perform on par with other sets that do not have those serious drawbacks? And if you are going say using Inspirations it somehow a solution, do you feel it would be okay to balance other powersets around inspirations? I answered you, so please answer my questions.

]

I clipped that part because the post would have been insane long otherwise. That's what the ellipsis means, there was more to this, but I wanted to include the part I felt this most needed for context. That being said, I have no problem answering it. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of your rage, and a serious hit to your ability to damage, is more than enough for balance. And of course, the more sex you have, the more endurance you will lose, Now it's my turn. I noticed you ignored the part where I discussed SS is supposed to have perma-rage. That's the way it was intended. The second completely broken without it, and yet you can't normally in high-level content, where it is needed most. And the defense part of the crash was still bypassable in live. So why do you think it's necessary to cripple a tank's ability to tank in high-level content just to make this set perform on par with other sets that do not have those serious drawbacks? And if you are going say using Inspirations it somehow a solution, open to puke feel it would be okay to balance other power steps around inspirations?

In order:

1/4 to 1/3 of your Rage? Excuse me?  Rage has a 120-second duration.  It has a 10-second crash.  That is 1/12.  If you're referring to Endurance in that portion, it's 25%.  No more, no less.  And that 25% is ONE TENTH the END the power would cost across its duration if paid as a toggle.  No, 10 seconds of doing no damage is NOT enough to balance out that much END cost being waved off.

I didn't ignore the part about perma-rage - you can still have it.  You just have to pay attention and be prepared to mitigate the crash.  Is a pure Def debuff fair to some sets?  NO.  Thus why I said split it between Def and Resist - it hits all sets roughly equally at that point, whether DEF focused, RES focused, or layered.  The set is not 'completely broken' without it - it's just not as good as it could be. 

The Defense crash was bypassable at one point in the game.  By the time Incarnates were live it had been fixed.  It MAY have been broken again by I24 things, or possibly earlier, but it WAS fixed.

"cripple a tank's ability in high-end content" - not my intent, by any means.  Already noted more than once - AS IT SITS, the Def debuff is not the best way to do it.  What would you rather have?  10 seconds of 0 Recovery?  Howabout we go back to 10 seconds of Only Affecting Self - LITERAL zero damage, without Taunt auras or Taunt itself being able to hold aggro?  THOSE would cripple a tank - I know for sure the OAS would because I've experienced it.  IT HAS TO HAVE A DRAWBACK.  10 SECONDS OF MINIMAL DAMAGE IS NOT ENOUGH TO COVER 270 END WORTH OF BUFF.  Pick a drawback you can live with, and make the case.

"insps are not a solution" - I didn't need them every two minutes - only when I got stupid, inattentive, didn't have DEF-buffing teammates, or some jerk couldn't wait 15 seconds for Rage to crash, the crash to end, and me to re-fire it before engaging the next mob.  Which was and is a lot less common for me than, apparently, it is for you.  I didn't carry just purples, I didn't stack them, I used what dropped, and almost always had at least one available to make use of IF I needed it.  It's no different than keeping a yellow or two around for dealing with hordes of Spectrals and Madness Mages or the equivalent, or a 'rez kit' if you don't have a self-rez power, or a few greens if you're a defense set lacking a self-heal to take care of chip damage, or a blue or two for dealing with missed Sappers.  Insps aren't a solution to build around, but they're good cover for when you screw up.

]

I clipped that part because the post would have been insane long otherwise. That's what the ellipsis means, there was more to this, but I wanted to include the part I felt this most needed for context. That being said, I have no problem answering it. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of your rage, and a serious hit to your ability to damage, is more than enough for balance. And of course, the more sex you have, the more endurance you will lose, Now it's my turn. I noticed you ignored the part where I discussed SS is supposed to have perma-rage. That's the way it was intended. The second completely broken without it, and yet you can't normally in high-level content, where it is needed most. And the defense part of the crash was still bypassable in live. So why do you think it's necessary to cripple a tank's ability to tank in high-level content just to make this set perform on par with other sets that do not have those serious drawbacks? And if you are going say using Inspirations it somehow a solution, open to puke feel it would be okay to balance other power steps around inspirations?

In order:

1/4 to 1/3 of your Rage? Excuse me?  Rage has a 120-second duration.  It has a 10-second crash.  That is 1/12.  If you're referring to Endurance in that portion, it's 25%.  No more, no less.  And that 25% is ONE TENTH the END the power would cost across its duration if paid as a toggle.  No, 10 seconds of doing no damage is NOT enough to balance out that much END cost being waved off.

[irst, I used your numbers for that.

Yes, you can get upwards of 15 max END from accolades and the Body APP, but that at most pushes the crash to ~30 END

30 out of 115 is inching closer to 1/3. Second, you cannot keep talking about Rage as some stand-alone power. It doesn't matter what this move would cost as a toggle in other power sets, because the attacks in SS are far less damaging than other power sets. I made this point already, and you keep trying to ignore it. But this point is not going away, because it is Central to the issue.

I didn't ignore the part about perma-rage - you can still have it.  You just have to pay attention and be prepared to mitigate the crash.  Is a pure Def debuff fair to some sets?  NO.  Thus why I said split it between Def and Resist - it hits all sets roughly equally at that point, whether DEF focused, RES focused, or layered.  The set is not 'completely broken' without it - it's just not as good as it could be. 

The Defense crash was bypassable at one point in the game.  By the time Incarnates were live it had been fixed.  It MAY have been broken again by I24 things, or possibly earlier, but it WAS fixed.

Again, yes you did ignore it, because you keep trying to dodge around the fact that rage makes SS comprable to other sets when there is no defense crash. Again, the defense crash was still bypassable, it was the damage and the end crashes that were no longer bypassable. There is no reason to make SS worse than it was in live.

"cripple a tank's ability in high-end content" - not my intent, by any means.  Already noted more than once - AS IT SITS, the Def debuff is not the best way to do it.  What would you rather have?  10 seconds of 0 Recovery?  Howabout we go back to 10 seconds of Only Affecting Self - LITERAL zero damage, without Taunt auras or Taunt itself being able to hold aggro?  THOSE would cripple a tank - I know for sure the OAS would because I've experienced it.  IT HAS TO HAVE A DRAWBACK.  10 SECONDS OF MINIMAL DAMAGE IS NOT ENOUGH TO COVER 270 END WORTH OF BUFF.  Pick a drawback you can live with, and make the case.

Again, trying to to say What If This Were a toggle, or what if this were in another set, are not legitimate arguments. SS has to be looked at as a whole. And perma Rage only means that it will be comprable to other sets when there is no defense crash.

"insps are not a solution" - I didn't need them every two minutes - only when I got stupid, inattentive, didn't have DEF-buffing teammates, or some jerk couldn't wait 15 seconds for Rage to crash, the crash to end, and me to re-fire it before engaging the next mob.  Which was and is a lot less common for me than, apparently, it is for you.  I didn't carry just purples, I didn't stack them, I used what dropped, and almost always had at least one available to make use of IF I needed it.  It's no different than keeping a yellow or two around for dealing with hordes of Spectrals and Madness Mages or the equivalent, or a 'rez kit' if you don't have a self-rez power, or a few greens if you're a defense set lacking a self-heal to take care of chip damage, or a blue or two for dealing with missed Sappers.  Insps aren't a solution to build around, but they're good cover for when you screw up.

SS, as I said, when working as intended in live, made the defense crash bypassable. There is no reason it shouldn't be here. Your case for using Inspirations for very specific mobs does not hold up. That is nothing like balancing a power to work as intended around using Inspirations every 2 minutes. I noticed you can't point to any other power set where that is the case. In high-level content where there are timers or ambushes or other challenges, you don't always have the luxury to stop an entire trial because your power set is broken now. There is no good reason to keep this defense crash. SS it's not such an amazing set that it needs some kind of crippling draw back other powersets don't have. Again, it should perform on par with other sets, which it currently does not. That is 100% reasonable