Oh. My. God.

Aeroprism

You know, sometimes, you start a new alt.

A common theme for CoH players...

...or so I'm told.   And then you say...

Hey, I'll do something different this time around.  How about a tutorial. 

So let's see...

Outbreak.  haha Good times.  This brings me back.

Breakout.  Oh yeah that was fun too. CoV had a nice launch.

Wait.  Galaxy City. I haven't done th....  oh hi, what's this?  a "Enter Game" AND a "Next" button.  What does "Next" do?

*clicks*

Holy Sister Psyche STATESMAN!

We need more of this. 

Speaking of...  I still have quite a few of those awesome comics they used to send while I was a live subscriber but I never got around to read them all.  After all these years, surely someone has them scanned somewhere?

I love this game so hard.

• Like 4

The comics "pages" for the Galaxy City tutorial are nice.

But oh my god, the HORRIBLE GOD-AWFUL nails-on-blackboard voice acting. 

And no I don't care about Blue Spectrum in the slightest buddy, in fact even my heroes slaver at the chance to kill him, not because of anything against him?  But because of the over the top dude SCREAMING in my ears to save him. 

I simply can't tolerate that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MTeague said:

The comics "pages" for the Galaxy City tutorial are nice.

But oh my god, the HORRIBLE GOD-AWFUL nails-on-blackboard voice acting. 

And no I don't care about Blue Spectrum in the slightest buddy, in fact even my heroes slaver at the chance to kill him, not because of anything against him?  But because of the over the top dude SCREAMING in my ears to save him. 

I simply can't tolerate that. 

hahahaha I was just about to say "Oh wow there's voice!!"

But yeah, ok, it's not exactly AAA material voice acting 🙂

20 minutes ago, Aeroprism said:

Wait.  Galaxy City. I haven't done th....  oh hi, what's this?  a "Enter Game" AND a "Next" button.  What does "Next" do?

*clicks*

The CoV Breakout was the best.  Both for nostalgia and the great feel of being a villain.  Did not always fit some of my concepts, but it did a lot of them.  Then Fort Darwin.  sigh.  How I miss thee.

Still, killing Blue Spectrum and hearing some wanna be hero droning on about "somethings gone wrong" is a hoot.

• Like 4

I need to try that with my next villain.  That advice lady had a Starcraft/Computer voice that was kinda nice but Captain Consonnant screaming his out of breath pleads quickly wanted me to plug my ears with dynamite.

So yeah the comic was a well delivered pleasure but as far as tutorials go, this was weak AF. Kill two minions. Deal with Blue Spectrum.  Talk to trainer.  Spam your two attacks until pseudo boss magically disappears. Voilà.

I prefer red and blue.

• Like 1

I did use the Galaxy City Tutorial as a pseudo prequel to a set of AEs I wrote.  Mainly because I thought there's stuff in here that's kinda cool, but oh hell is it wasted on this thing.

• Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

As an aficionado of the Old Legacy of Kain games, I was spoilt with great voice acting.  That's my standard.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Just now, Darmian said:

As an aficionado of the Old Legacy of Kain games, I was spoilt with great voice acting.  That's my standard.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain's voice actor for Kain is the one. Maybe my favorite performance ever in a game.  My crush remains years later.  Vae Victus.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dark Dove said:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain's voice actor for Kain is the one. Maybe my favorite performance ever in a game.  My crush remains years later.  Vae Victus.

Simon Templeman.  Voiced Kain across all 5 games.

I agree that the original Legacy of Kain is possibly one of the greatest stories every communicated through voice acting and- yes- that voice acting was top notch.

But, we are sort of comparing apples and oranges here.  The vibe of each game is very different and I thought the voice acting for the galaxy city tutorial was fine for the genre it's trying to emulate.

The cheesy cut-scenes aren't really any better than the voice acting, IME, to be honest.  😁

I did the Galaxy tutorial in i21 beta and immediately turned off voice acting, and that was one of the first tweaks I made on coming back to Homecoming as well.

I think the Galaxy tutorial is basically useless; IIRC, you jump over a pit, choose hero or villain, kill a couple Shivans, then twiddle your thumbs until NPC airstrikes kill the giant Shivan for you because your level 1 attacks do absolutely nothing against it.

(Oh, and in the before times you "bought" a free badge from the market, but no more of that.)

I think I did the Galaxy tutorial on one character and have gone back to Outbreak for the rest. It's a shame, because the Praetorian tutorial is beautiful, but, unfortunately, tied to being a Praetorian.

• Like 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

25 minutes ago, Placta said:

the Praetorian tutorial is beautiful, but, unfortunately, tied to being a Praetorian.

You say that like it's a bad thing!  All Hail Emperor Cole!

And if anyone does the Galaxy City tutorial on beta and gives themselves hover you can FIND Officer Daniels nearby on a roof!  He's not just a voice!

Sadly the reason you can't do more than run and jump is shown below.

screenshot_201114-00-52-59.thumb.jpg.1db01010ddc6abb9de80118070af7b13.jpg

• Like 2

No idea what folks are complaining about with that voice acting - it sounded like people, at least, not ridiculously cartoon stock characters rejected from Hanna-Barbera cartoons of the 1970s.  Back when I first got into CoH, the friend who hooked me was also playing WoW and that was a real turn-off, that's exactly what those voices reminded me of; if that's "professional voice acting," to hell with that.

But yeah, I'd completely turn it all off too if I could, no voice-acting is going to work for all people.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Like I said, spoilered by already hearing great voice work in older games.  However, the speech balloons work as a comic book aesthetic for me.  And as someone who uses the AE a lot, how the hell would we do dialog?  A bank of robotized sounds badly repeating our text?  Very limited choice of prerecordings? And even if there was a big selection, it (a) wouldn't be big enough ever and (b) would take a CHUNK of memory.

2 hours ago, Chewburkka said:

I usually play with no sound turned on. I didn't know there WAS voice in the Galaxy City tutorial... Now I have to try it just to feel your pain.

Oh dread... Myst we do that again bud? Remember what happened last time lol...

Peace...

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

I'm a trained Arachnos soldier, you won't get me to spill the name of $Name that easy!

Still one of the best lines in the game.....

• Haha 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 4/26/2021 at 11:00 PM, Greycat said:

For the other question, yes, I was able to find the COH comics ... fairly recently online.

http://www.cityofheroes.ca/media-and-downloads/comic-archive/

Yah. Google search for City of heroes comics and it was the top result.

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

I submit my theory:

Galaxy City voice acting isn't so much bad, as it is shocking when the rest of the game has none.

If the rest of the game had it, we wouldn't say it was particularly good but it wouldn't be any worse than most of what's out there.

(Also, Legacy of Kain va is way too good to be fair to other games.)

• Like 2