Regarding Invasion Events

Techwright

1 hour ago, gamingglen said:

You're wrong on all counts. Maybe MOST people don't wander around most zones, but I do and I see others (I take a second look just to be sure I ain't seeing things :D) in those zones as well. 

I pulled 16 blueside zones COMBINED from the nobodygoesthere at 7pm EST (its pretty busy right now on excelsior). There were only 49 people. Total. In 16 combined non-populous zones. (I even included KR, but I guess skulls arent as cool as I think... 😞 )

Atlas, 50 people. PI, 25. Talos, 23.  If you catch people leaving mishs, PI has been in the 40s. Talos has been hovering around 30. That is in just _3_ of the "populous" zones on blueside.

Yes, there are people who play in every zone, but that is far from a majority position.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Luminara said:

A "Current Events" channel which continually updates players about the state of events, even if it's only when an event starts a different phase, like, "The Rikti Drop Ships have ceased their bombardment and begun transporting troops to the ground", would go a very, very long way toward attracting more players to events.

If it is possible, I'd take it further.  I was thinking about it yesterday when I logged in only to find a message pop up after several minutes announcing an end to a zone event.  Had I been informed at the moment I could start moving of any events currently happening, I might have been able to super speed over to it and caught the last half.  So, having a current events messaging system that alerts an inbound player (or for that matter a player coming out of an instance) as to any current events might allow them to contribute.  I'd not complain if also the LFG channel were to broadcast the previous 1 minute of message at login.  That way, we might know about that rare Sister Psyche task force recruiting before it fills.

18 minutes ago, Techwright said:

If it is possible, I'd take it further.  I was thinking about it yesterday when I logged in only to find a message pop up after several minutes announcing an end to a zone event.  Had I been informed at the moment I could start moving of any events currently happening, I might have been able to super speed over to it and caught the last half.  So, having a current events messaging system that alerts an inbound player (or for that matter a player coming out of an instance) as to any current events might allow them to contribute.  I'd not complain if also the LFG channel were to broadcast the previous 1 minute of message at login.  That way, we might know about that rare Sister Psyche task force recruiting before it fills.

Something like a police dispatcher/snooping snitch, sending occasional updates to a chat channel, was what I had in mind.

Let's take the troll raves in Skyway.  Instead of one message when a rave begins, and one message when it ends, something like the following would be more helpful:

"Trolls passing Sixth and Newcombe, headed toward rave." - each time the rave refills with regular trolls

"Supatrolls seen exiting building, moving <direction> toward the train station." - each time Supatrolls spawn

"Ravers appear to be wearing themselves out." - when the event reaches X% completion

Simple messages, not enough to qualify as chat spam, but they'd do so much to inform players on an ongoing basis.

• Like 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:01 PM, Techwright said:

Regardless of whether it is Rikti, zombie, or Nemesis invading:  why are so many zones ignored when an event triggers?  

I can only speak for myself. 
I'm in an ouro arc or tf, so I can't team at that time OR 
I have the badge for that event, so there's no compelling reason to participate. 

With Nemesis, there's almost always a reason every time if you're inclined to pursue Freedom Phalanx Reserve Accolade. The thing is - this badge is easier/faster to get on redside, visit Null, and it converts along with you back to blue. 

I get that for some, randomly meeting in the midst of some spawning hordes is reward enough, but when you can't even target the mobs when they spawn - but the MMs pets and lore pets can, they are generally dead before I can target through them. 

"Target through a pet" is just fine in most cases, but when you want to do a positional cone, it's far more optimal to pick the target myself rather than let some stupid pet do my targeting for me. 

Personally - I like where the Rikti invasion is triggered by completing a lady gray TF.  And, I've heard that the zombie invasion is triggered by completing Katie Hannon TF. 

I had read somewhere that there was something in the works about making the Nemesis event spawn from completing the SSA out of Steel Canyon, but that doesn't seem to be case at present. 

So, I do think some incentives beyond a badge would be nice once a character has completed it once and gotten the badges that go with it. 

"The Rikti invasion event"  as it seems  now isn't like the original one on  live.

I remember not being able to move 5 steps without blundering into a mob of evil alien calamari. even in Atlas.

The dropship aspect of that event, well its been so long ago I'm fuzzy on if that was even a component.

As to the OP's 4  thoughts?

1: yeah same as posters have already posted in this thread.

2: I like the idea and am all for it.

3: see above, and would like the incentives to go up for these types of things but I'm sure someone has a better way to accomplish this than I do. 🤤

4:  Temp boost  FOLD SPACE during these.  and bring the calamari back to ya.  police drones eat too much  😁

I would really like, when these invasions occur, if when working in AE, the screen didn't shake when whatever makes that happen goes off. It's really annoying when one is designing a custom villain, and every five seconds the entire image shakes violently. Not pleasant, I can tell you.

(I realize there are some zones I can go to to avoid the invasions. I'm also anticipating someone will reply with some easy graphics adjustment I never considered.)

32 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

I would really like, when these invasions occur, if when working in AE, the screen didn't shake when whatever makes that happen goes off. It's really annoying when one is designing a custom villain, and every five seconds the entire image shakes violently. Not pleasant, I can tell you.

(I realize there are some zones I can go to to avoid the invasions. I'm also anticipating someone will reply with some easy graphics adjustment I never considered.)

There's an option to disable screen shake in game, should work for that issue., check out game options.  Unless you mean you like screen shake except in that one instance.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hexquisite said:

I'm also anticipating someone will reply with some easy graphics adjustment I never considered.

Options -> Controls -> Mouse -> Camera Shake -> Disabled.

Yeah, I don't know why it's under Mouse, either, but there you go.

• Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

There's an option to disable screen shake in game, should work for that issue., check out game options.  Unless you mean you like screen shake except in that one instance.

I don't mind screen shake in general. When I'm moving about and playing the game, it doesn't bother me at all. It's almost specifically when I'm working in AE, and trying to focus on something static, that it bothers me and occasionally messes with my brain.

3 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Options -> Controls -> Mouse -> Camera Shake -> Disabled.

Yeah, I don't know why it's under Mouse, either, but there you go.

As soon as I said it, I knew someone would have an easy solution...