Torn between two powersets based on concept

Hey all!

First post so sorry if this is the wrong forum (and please correct me if it is!), been playing for a month or two after finding out that HC existed and being overjoyed that I can finally play CoH again. I'm coming up with a character that's going to be Version 2, MCU-style reboot of my old main from live as a Sentinel (he used to be a blaster). The problem I'm running into is I can't decide between his primary powersets, either Energy or Electric would make sense for his origin, and they both look and sound fun based on what guides I've read. I'm at a loss, and would like to get some opinions to help me decide one way or the other.

The TL;DR version of his origin is he was an engineer/inventor who was, in true Science origin fashion, trapped inside of a stellar PV energy collector (meant to serve as an energy source for long-distance flights between solar systems) of his own design due to sabotage by a jealous colleague. He became fused with that energy on an atomic level, giving him his powers. The way I see it either Energy or Electric would make equal amounts of sense for this origin - Energy due to the photonic, well, energy that now makes up part of his body, and Electric because of the form that energy/power would take.

I'm using comic book physics of course, but what do y'all think? Would it make more sense for such a character to hurl bolts of raw energy or launch devastating electrical discharges? Or something completely different?

• Like 1

Given the source for long distance flights, I would have the energy manifest as force for propulsion and make him an energy blaster. 

But for gaming purposes I would only do that if I soloed with him.  The knockback in energy is considered annoying by many in teams.

• Like 1

How exactly is your concept outside "Oh, he has this back round and powers."  The sets are vastly different play wise, otherwise you are just talking about graphics and may end up hating the concept.

This is mostly from playing melee ATs, but  the difference in play style:

Electric armor, great resist spread and you can build for +S/L defense to mitigate about 80% of the incoming damage towards you.  

Energy Aura, equivalent to super reflex but damage typed.  You can avoid almost all attacks coming towards you, but its going to hurt when they hit.

Both seem to have a mixed grab bag of gimmicks for utility with, both had a regen + heal and endurance discount.  Both have a health toggle, Eletric is +regen while energy is +HP.

Im a sucker for electric armor, once you avoid a lethal defense check for split damage type attacks like Cremate Smash/Fire or Ice Blast Lethal/Cold you just reduce the incomming damage by up to 75% (Sentinile cap) and regen the rest back, can easily build in +KB protection.  My Mace/Electric brute laughs as most S/L/F/C/E attacks at 80% resists while his weakness are N/P at 40% and Toxic; then if he gets hit with -regen he cries

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

6 hours ago, ItalicSquirrel85 said:

He became fused with that energy on an atomic level, giving him his powers. The way I see it either Energy or Electric would make equal amounts of sense for this origin - Energy due to the photonic, well, energy that now makes up part of his body, and Electric because of the form that energy/power would take.

I could also see Radiation here.

So do you envision it as concussive force? If so, Energy Blast.

Is it ionic (charged) energy, as it was converted to a drive energy source? Electric Blast.

Is it the stellar energy itself, pre-conversion and storage? Radiation Blast.

You could mix and match primary and secondary within the sets to taste and still fit the theme.

• Like 1