how do I open epic pool?

Specifically for the patron pools, you have to be a villain/rogue and talk to Arbiter Rein in Grandville to start a patron arc; if you're a vigilante, you can join someone else who's doing an arc, but can't start one yourself.

• Like 1

Nitpick corrections (just to make it obvious instead of implied):

• For epic pools, you can select the first power at level 35 for any unlocked pool.
  • Ancilliary (originally heroside epic) pools are unlocked automatically at level 35.
  • For patron pools, these are unlocked by having any of the badges for completing the last mission of one of the first Patron arcs, AND level 35.
    • You have to be a villain, rogue, or vigilante to be able to be redside in order to be in the missions, but it doesn't have to be your mission*.
    • You can get the badge before level 35 from someone else's mission (I recommend this if you can because then you can just train at level 35 like you can for ancilliary pools)
    • To get the patron arc for yourself, what @srmalloy said is correct - you train to level 35, are introduced to Arbiter Rein automatically, and running his mission to select one of the Arachnos patrons introduces them as a contact. Finishing the last mission in the first arc for whichever patron you selected grants you a badge and unlocks the pools, and because you can't get villain contacts as a vigilante, you have to be villain or rogue for this method.
    • All of the patron arcs are also available in Ouroboros, if you decide to just run them later and respec into patron powers.

* - this is actually a change from how they were originally; they used to be tied to arc completion and not mission completion, which only applied for the mission holder(s) and not anyone else on the team.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, siolfir said:

• To get the patron arc for yourself, what @srmalloy said is correct - you train to level 35, are introduced to Arbiter Rein automatically, and running his mission to select one of the Arachnos patrons introduces them as a contact. Finishing the last mission in the first arc for whichever patron you selected grants you a badge and unlocks the pools, and because you can't get villain contacts as a vigilante, you have to be villain or rogue for this method.
  •  

* - this is actually a change from how they were originally; they used to be tied to arc completion and not mission completion, which only applied for the mission holder(s) and not anyone else on the team.

Nitpick to the nitpick, you don't have to actually train to 35 to get the mission yourself.  You can be 35 without training up and just go talk to Arbiter Rein to start the mission.  That way you can complete the arc and THEN train up and pick that patron pool power at level 35 instead of having to wait until 38.  Done it that way myself several times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Riverdusk said:

Nitpick to the nitpick, you don't have to actually train to 35 to get the mission yourself.

Fair enough; I hadn't tried that specifically and was almost positive that the automatic introduction didn't happen until you trained (could be mandela effect going on here, I don't remember seeing the popup after exiting a mission). The last few times I worried about Patron powers I was able to get the badge before level 30 by tagging along on someone else's mission, then picked up the mission to hold for the next alt (repeat as needed).

Just now, siolfir said:

Fair enough; I hadn't tried that specifically and was almost positive that the automatic introduction didn't happen until you trained (could be mandela effect going on here, I don't remember seeing the popup after exiting a mission). The last few times I worried about Patron powers I was able to get the badge before level 30 by tagging along on someone else's mission, then picked up the mission to hold for the next alt (repeat as needed).

Don't think you are wrong about the automatic introduction, but you can still go talk to him even without an intro (lot of contacts are that way actually), if you know where he is and are the right level.  He'll still offer you the mission to start things off.

4 hours ago, Hew said:

I really like that we have a legit newbie in the forum asking questions. Especially with that doom and gloom thread about how noooooooobody plays anymore.

... are we sure this isn't just you with an alt account just *pretending* to be a newbie?

*suspicious look*

• Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

... are we sure this isn't just you with an alt account just *pretending* to be a newbie?

*suspicious look*

Or even said newbie's evil counterpart? Or alternate self from another dimension or timeline or ... both?

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:51 AM, siolfir said:

• For epic pools, you can select the first power at level 35 for any unlocked pool.
  • Ancilliary (originally heroside epic) pools are unlocked automatically at level 35.
  • For patron pools, these are unlocked by having any of the badges for completing the last mission of one of the first Patron arcs, AND level 35.
    • You have to be a villain, rogue, or vigilante to be able to be redside in order to be in the missions, but it doesn't have to be your mission*.
    • You can get the badge before level 35 from someone else's mission (I recommend this if you can because then you can just train at level 35 like you can for ancilliary pools)
    • All of the patron arcs are also available in Ouroboros, if you decide to just run them later and respec into patron powers.

How do I get the badge before 35?

2 minutes ago, seihyup kim said:

How do I get the badge before 35?

Go redside and join in someone else's patron arc. Technically you only need to do the final mission for the badge. You still won't be able to pick the patron pool until 35 though.

• Like 1

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

Hi, can an alt that already has unlocked the Patrons rerun say Scorpion via flashback, and if teamed with an alt that has not, will the badge drop for the other alt?

Basically want to use my lvl 50 tricked out alt to help by alts on second account get their patron unlocked.

Thanks

On 5/4/2021 at 8:59 PM, Hew said:

Especially with that doom and gloom thread about how noooooooobody plays anymore.

Nobody plays this. It died 26 years ago. #Fact

• Haha 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, seihyup kim said:

how do I open epic pool as a hero?

Kind of glossed over everyone else's posts but you can only have 4 pool powers and that includes the Epic Pools, so, if you already have 4 pools, you can't gain access to a (hero or villain) epic pool set.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, Riverdusk said:

Nitpick to the nitpick, you don't have to actually train to 35 to get the mission yourself. 

And if you're jumping on someone else's mission, you don't even have to be 35 -- completing the mission gives you the unlock, and you get access to the patron pools when you train to 35 -- I had a character who joined the Black Scorpion arc at 27, and she got the patron pools in the pick list at 35.

6 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Kind of glossed over everyone else's posts but you can only have 4 pool powers and that includes the Epic Pools, so, if you already have 4 pools, you can't gain access to a (hero or villain) epic pool set.

I will check my characters when I get off work to confirm, but I am not sure if this is true. You should be able to have 4 common pools and an Ancillary or Patron pool. Speed/Leaping(or Flight)/Leadership/Fighting is my go-to for most characters, then Fire, Soul, Mu, or Mace.

Looking over a lot of the build samples on the Melee pages shows similar limits (4 commons and an Ancillary or Patron).

• Like 1

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

58 minutes ago, archgemini24 said:

I will check my characters when I get off work to confirm, but I am not sure if this is true. You should be able to have 4 common pools and an Ancillary or Patron pool.

That does appear to be the case after a web search.

I had recalled that I hadn't been able to get an Epic Pool at some point because I already had 4 power pools. 

I'm getting old and I dream lot about THE CITY at any rate. Could be a memory slip or remembering something that happened in a dream.

Sorry about that.

• Like 2

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, Jacktar said:

Hi, can an alt that already has unlocked the Patrons rerun say Scorpion via flashback, and if teamed with an alt that has not, will the badge drop for the other alt?

Basically want to use my lvl 50 tricked out alt to help by alts on second account get their patron unlocked.

Thanks

If they're on the same team, sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

That does appear to be the case after a web search.

I had recalled that I hadn't been able to get an Epic Pool at some point because I already had 4 power pools. 

I'm getting old and I dream lot about THE CITY at any rate. Could be a memory slip or remembering something that happened in a dream.

Sorry about that.

No problem, at all. If nothing else, you just got more options for every hero, villain, vigilante, and rogue you roll! Even if you end up indecisive about which pool to take (if any), knowing you can is always a good thing!

Happy Hunting!

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

39 minutes ago, archgemini24 said:

knowing you can is always a good thing!

1. G I Joe.jpg
Edited by UltraAlt
  • Haha 2

OMG I totally forgot I use to have G.I. Joe “The secret of the mummy’s tomb” adventure set (and another with a helicopter but I can’t recall exactly which one). Holy flashback Batman!  and oh yeah - 'Kung Fu Grip!'  lol

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

17 hours ago, KauaiJim said:

(and another with a helicopter but I can’t recall exactly which one)

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

And I guess you know, Jack "The King" Kirby's Challengers of the Unknown "... The adventuring quartet the Challengers of the Unknown debuted in Showcase #6 (February 1957)"

Challengers-Unknown-DC-Comics-Kirby-h1.jpg

Meanwhile, GI Joe "The original 12-inch (30 cm) line introduced on February 2, 1964, centered on realistic action figures."

Gotta wonder.

They look more like the later Action Team, but look at their descriptions and hair color. (No beards and mustaches, but even so ..)

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1