Patch Notes for May the 4th (be with you), 2021

49 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

Try a Universal set in it like Zephyer or Winter.  run+jump combo is great

Also 85ish mph runspeed with 2 slot sprint and 2 slot infiltration.  not bad considering the jumping allows me to hurdle a train station

And those alts with [Quickness] or [Mental Training] at at cap or near cap.

Another thing to add to this is HOs, the travel/End one affects ALL travel. 😄

5 minutes ago, Gobbledygook said:

Hey! I get that reference!

Which means we're All old. :p

• Haha 2

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

13 hours ago, Jimmy said:
    • Instead, Walk now applies Only Affect Self, caps your speed to the base values, and disables all travel powers

Is it strictly necessary for Walk to detoggle travel powers? I was really looking forward to stacking walk with the new Superspeed phasing toggle for RPing as a person with the uncanny ability to stand within two feet of another person.

Edit: It already allows Combat Jumping to stay on, presumably for the defense, without impacting the actual jumping stats. Can we keep Superspeed, too? The stealth bonus on Superspeed may also be useful if one wanted to do, say, RP-walk mission stealthing. Wouldn't be mad if we could keep Superjump and be able to use Doublejump to continuously and very slowly jump to higher heights.

Edited by JelloMold

38 minutes ago, JelloMold said:

Is it strictly necessary for Walk to detoggle travel powers? I was really looking forward to stacking walk with the new Superspeed phasing toggle for RPing as a person with the uncanny ability to stand within two feet of another person.

Edit: It already allows Combat Jumping to stay on, presumably for the defense, without impacting the actual jumping stats. Can we keep Superspeed, too? The stealth bonus on Superspeed may also be useful if one wanted to do, say, RP-walk mission stealthing. Wouldn't be mad if we could keep Superjump and be able to use Doublejump to continuously and very slowly jump to higher heights.

The way Walk works, it reduces your maximum run speed cap to the level where your max speed is 3.15 mph.

If you allow Super Speed to be turned on, it would increase your max run speed which would effectively turn your walk into super power walk.

Edited by Bopper
  • Haha 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

13 minutes ago, Bopper said:

The way Walk works, it reduces your maximum run speed cap to the level where your max speed is 3.15 mph.

If you allow Super Speed to be turned on, it would increase your max run speed which would effectively turn your walk into super power walk.

I tested this with Combat Jumping. My Movement tab still showed me getting the +JumpSpeed and +JumpHeight (Not to mention the bonuses from Swift and Hurdle and IO sets, also still active), but what I can actually do remains capped at 3.15 mph and 4.00 ft. It is, I believe, reasonable to assume that if Walk can cancel the movement bonuses from both inherent Fitness and from Combat Jumping, then it can cancel the movement bonuses from Superjump and Superspeed.

Edit: Right after hitting submit, I remembered the changes that gave Fly, SJ, and SS cap-boosting effects. That part could be tricky, but it may be possible for Walk to 'win' over those boosts?

Second Edit: I tested with Hover, which does not stay available like Combat Jumping. This is another one I wish we had for the secondary effects, with Walk doing a blanket and obscene -Fly.

Edited by JelloMold

24 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Why can’t it simply be a toggled animation?

13 minutes ago, JelloMold said:

Right after hitting submit, I remembered the changes that gave Fly, SJ, and SS cap-boosting effects. That part could be tricky, but it may be possible for Walk to 'win' over those boosts?

Thats exactly what I was referring to. Walk does a giant -X to your speed caps, but travel powers do a modest +Y to your speed cap. So having both on, you would get the net effect which would increase your speed from the 3.15 mph you're experiencing.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

1 minute ago, xl8 said:

Why can’t it simply be a toggled animation?

It could be, but that would be best served as a post in the Suggestions and Feedback forum. In closed beta I saw what it looked like when walk was bugged and you could buff the speed, and it looked awfully silly seeing a walk animation at 120 mph.

I asked this in chat last night and I didn't get a definitive answer.

Why do some of the travel powers make you "Only Affecting Self"? For example, the Void Skiff.

And if that reason is compelling, could there be an alternate version without whatever requires it to be that way? I have a character that wants to rain fire on her foes from a Void Skiff... 🙂

• City Council
1 hour ago, steve1967 said:

Why do some of the travel powers make you "Only Affecting Self"? For example, the Void Skiff.

Because their Idle animation status can't transition into combat animations without all sorts of animation breakage.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I literally just did this arc and I could swear it was the other thing...

I actually went and grabbed the arc just now, and it is the other thing. Though her description does say that it's 'amazing' that she's using 'such a self-deprecating name'.

Edited by Crasical

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

5 hours ago, xl8 said:

Is there a game mechanic reason I can’t walk menacingly slowly after a target, a la generic horror villain, and hit them with my melee weapon?

There's always Granite! 😀

Seriously though, *I Think* you could still do it with any character, you'd just need a macro / bind that disabled walk just before you strike. 

Anyone else noticing Travel Power Suppression is REALLY aggressive after this patch?
My fly speed is closer to Walking speed after executing an attack, for about half a second. Combat Attributes says it's halved, but it feels WAY slower than that.

2 minutes ago, MaHaBone said:

Anyone else noticing Travel Power Suppression is REALLY aggressive after this patch?
My fly speed is closer to Walking speed after executing an attack, for about half a second. Combat Attributes says it's halved, but it feels WAY slower than that.

The DIFFERENCE between suppressed speed and slotted speed IS greater, because slotted speed is now faster than it used to be.

Suppressed speed is not any slower than it ever was, afaik.

Edited by Wavicle

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but is there going to be a fix at some point for Electric Blast animations? I find mine randomly shift back and forth with the alternate versions. It's irked me enough to not want to play the set, which is sad because i love it so much.

Edited by Patient001

• Retired Developer
1 hour ago, RMS33 said:

@Piecemeal is running point on all things Freakshow now, and undoubtedly has interesting thoughts. But the echo log comment seems rather clever on examination.

Many medical conditions can cause one to "shake uncontrollably" (Myoclonus) during sleep. Chemical poisoning, infections, spinal and autoimmune inflammatory ailments and more. All either do or might apply to the Freakshow.

These in turn highlight the many destructive responses associated with transplant rejection. Dr. Vahzilok (a la Frankenstein) has "conquered" all these problems, making his laboratory an unholy grail for the Freakshow.

All of which further confirms the Workshop of Horrors to be an eminently logical, and perhaps inevitable, progression within COH.  Again, brava!  👏 👍

I'm not *exactly* a Powers dev, so thank you for the momentary boost to my ego, but this just happens to be a big old coincidence.

PlumpPoisedFrogmouth-max-1mb.gif

"Science. Science, my friend, requires radical gambles and adventures in malpractice sometimes. Take solace in the fact that I tested the majority of these things on the dead, the re-dead, and the nearly departed before I went to live trials.

Honestly, most of my "specimens" were several iterations past being considered a human being with their original fingerprints, teeth, or IDs. So it was rather a lot like experimenting on moaning clay putty."

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master! For science and community!

4 hours ago, Faultline said:

Because their Idle animation status can't transition into combat animations without all sorts of animation breakage.

Oh yeah, that does sound familiar. Dang, no path forward on that then.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am very grateful for what the whole team does and that I get to play CoH again, new patches are just a big old bonus for me!

• 2 weeks later
On 5/4/2021 at 3:11 AM, Jimmy said:

Sewer Network & Abandoned Sewer Network

• The "Living Dark" badge in the Abandoned Sewer Network has been moved into Vahzilok's lab

Um..so, where is Vahzlok's lab? I don't see a gate/entrance from within the abandoned sewer network. I'm assuming without evidence to the contrary that I now have to do Doc Buzzsaw's new arc to get access. As a badger, this arc has so many pre-reqs it's like one of the last things I'm likely to do on a character. I'd rather not have that one exploration outstanding for so long. Is there a different path to the badge other than the arc, if my assumption is correct?