Lazy but effective defender - sonic/sonic with sorcery

KaizenSoze

I love defenders, but find them exhausting to play. Too much attention to the team widow, too many buffs or debuffs to manage.

So, I have come up with this lazy build taking advantage of the new sorcery pool changes in Issue 27, page 2.

I thought about Radiation first, but too much re-toggling of debuffs and no mez protection. Sonic Resonance turned out to be the best primary for being lazy and do some damage.

On a team, I buff resists, then stick Disruption Field and Enflame on the aggro magnet. Enflame will cause some fleeing, so pick someone with a taunt aura. If a teammate seems to be taking a lot of hits I put Spirit Ward on them and cover them with Sonic Dispersion, giving them another 21% resists. I have yet for someone to die with Spirit Ward on them.

That's it. Enflame needs to be recast even 60 seconds. Resists buffs every 2 mins. Attacking key target's resists with my attacks.

I thought I would have to go very slow through my attacks, so I wouldn't run out of endurance. But it's been good. Actually, I have not run out of end once. Though, I am not rotation aggressively through my attack chain.

The char is level 34 and relaxing to play for long sessions. Currently, I only have max SOs slotted.

The build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Defender
Primary Power Set: Sonic Resonance
Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Sonic Siphon -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Shriek -- SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 2: Sonic Barrier -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-ResDam(3), GldArm-RechRes(3)
Level 4: Scream -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(37)
Level 6: Sonic Haven -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(7), StdPrt-ResKB(7), ImpArm-ResDam(9), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(9)
Level 8: Howl -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(37), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(37), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), PstBls-Dam%(42)
Level 10: Disruption Field -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(11)
Level 12: Sonic Dispersion -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(13), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(13), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Ags-Psi/Status(15)
Level 14: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(17), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(17)
Level 16: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(19), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(19), Prv-Heal/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(21), Prv-Absorb%(23)
Level 18: Enflame -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(23), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(25), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 20: Amplify -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 22: Shout -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45)
Level 24: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46)
Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 30: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(46), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(48), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 32: Liquefy -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(33), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(33), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(33), RechRdx-I(34), AchHee-ResDeb%(34)
Level 35: Screech -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(43), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(43), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(46), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(50), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(50)
Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(40)
Level 41: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 44: Victory Rush -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 47: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal(11), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(34)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5), EndMod-I(5)
------------

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I played a Sonic/Sonic for quite a while back in the day but never described him as lazy. Teams will throw that kinda hate at  you enough already.

I always said I create tank mages when inevitably asked what I was bringing to the team. And once you are up and running most any team turns into a group of tank mages (io'd out or not). You never see the glory for this though as everyone just ignores the buffs and debuffs on defenders.

One of the great things about the setup is that it's the defender inherent. You only provide lots of resistance so everyone on your team is still taking like 5-10% of their health gone at any one time. This allows you to blast away as fast as you can with no endurance issues at all. 🙂

It's a really fun ride as long as you don't have to be directly causing all the damage (you still provide huge -res so damage should rightly go to you ).

Compared to kinetics, trick arrow, or poison this is a relaxing build to play. 

Though defenders do not get the best damage out of Enflame. I can buff the damage with disruption field to decent levels. I have been happy so far.

Side note, blasters get the best damage.

Spirit Ward is the stand out for defender, as they get the best healing modifiers. Really beefs up any player. I will interested to see if it helps against Lord Recluse on MLTF this week.

• Like 1

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get a Sonic/Sonic through Praetoria 1-20.  So far it's looking like "Team" or "Nope".

I'll being seeing what can be seen with Sonic Cage to do some splitting but... I know it won't be enough to actually solo with. Not in the land of timed laser guided ambushes.

13 hours ago, MTeague said:

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get a Sonic/Sonic through Praetoria 1-20.  So far it's looking like "Team" or "Nope".

I'll being seeing what can be seen with Sonic Cage to do some splitting but... I know it won't be enough to actually solo with. Not in the land of timed laser guided ambushes.

Won't be speediest as you are best one v. one but status prot by level 12 (throw in tough) and take your kback power (can respec out of it later if you want) and you will be fine. Just look out for the psi damage throwers.

Just remember to slot only for acc and take out larger single targets. If you get into trouble, the Cage will take out someone fast. Having your enemy at -90% res will go a long way toward "arresting" him fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ankhammon said:

Won't be speediest as you are best one v. one but status prot by level 12 (throw in tough) and take your kback power (can respec out of it later if you want) and you will be fine. Just look out for the psi damage throwers.

Just remember to slot only for acc and take out larger single targets. If you get into trouble, the Cage will take out someone fast. Having your enemy at -90% res will go a long way toward "arresting" him fast.

And the Sleep.

Good way to divide and conquer.  But yeah fast not so much solo.

Edit:  Basically crank up the control powers.  Screech, Sonic Cage, Shockwave, Repulsion, Siren's Song and try not to lose too much hair with the animation and rooting times.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

One psychological benefit of Enflame is seeing a direct benefit to my debuffs.

Flame ticking along at 8 points. Howl, now they are ticking at 10 points.

Resist debuff is really helpful, but hard to see the result directly.

Just curious, what does sonic siphon do to the Enflame? Just incr damage on the one it's on or does the spread get stronger too?

Also, what's the best way to slot Liquefy? It bugs me with all the potential in it and the recharge

Edited by Ankhammon

11 hours ago, Ankhammon said:

Just curious, what does sonic siphon do to the Enflame? Just incr damage on the one it's on or does the spread get stronger too?

Also, what's the best way to slot Liquefy? It bugs me with all the potential in it and the recharge

Enflame causes an fire damage patch to drop from the target every few seconds.

Any -resist power that hits mobs in the patch will cause the take more damage due to lower fire resists.

As for Liquefy, I was just trying to get it up as often as possible. My slotting is just a guess.

For me (I haven't to date built a Sonic Resonance on HC) it was a mix of either HOs (Enzymes) and/or set bonuses from defdebuff and to hit debuff IOs to max recharge, decent endred then push the debuffs to limits.  Everything I've been told despite being able to use more procs than it can take when 6-slotted doing so really doesn't work well which was disappointing.  So I'd probably go either all in for 6 slots or 2 slot with +5 recharge IOs and be happy with the base debuffs which are none to shabby.

For sonic Resonance, how bad is the sleep whole in the status protection? When I played it on live it was a royal pain cuz it would cause the toggle drop. Now that this is not the case, is there a perceptible delay in it coming back on line? is a sleep/hold combo gonna ruin your day?

35 minutes ago, Ankhammon said:

For sonic Resonance, how bad is the sleep whole in the status protection? When I played it on live it was a royal pain cuz it would cause the toggle drop. Now that this is not the case, is there a perceptible delay in it coming back on line? is a sleep/hold combo gonna ruin your day?

Your status does not drop if you get slept. Status defense toggles to do not drop unless you run out of endurance. I am sure there is an exception somewhere, but not in Sonic Resonance.

Now, disruption field, enflame, and spirit ward will drop if you are slept.

2 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Your status does not drop if you get slept. Status defense toggles to do not drop unless you run out of endurance. I am sure there is an exception somewhere, but not in Sonic Resonance.

Now, disruption field, enflame, and spirit ward will drop if you are slept.

Right, the Dispersion field is suppressed if you get slept.

What I'm wondering is if you get hit with a sleep and then get a follow-up hold or stun, are you boned?

The other question is if you get slept and you get 6 minions hitting you within a quarter to a half second, will you get resistance for all but the first hit or does it take time to "come online" and you get hit with lots more damage while the field ramps up. 

2 minutes ago, Ankhammon said:

Right, the Dispersion field is suppressed if you get slept.

What I'm wondering is if you get hit with a sleep and then get a follow-up hold or stun, are you boned?

The other question is if you get slept and you get 6 minions hitting you within a quarter to a half second, will you get resistance for all but the first hit or does it take time to "come online" and you get hit with lots more damage while the field ramps up. 

My understanding and I have not seen different playing. Sleep does not have any negative effect on your other status protection. As long as the power is running you get the full protection even if you are slept. You can get hit with 2 holds while sleeping and as long as they don't exceed the protection value you're fine.

Damage resistance is applied to each attack, if you have 20% resistance across the board any and all attacks will have 20% subtracted from the total before they land. It does not matter if the attacks come in quickly. The resistance value will be subtracted from each hit.

To be clear, sonic resonance doesn't have psi resists. Just trying to give an example.