Sentinels. Are they underused?

Blasters are broken as hell for endgame minmaxing with the I/O system. You get the absolutely ludicrous maximum damage....and 45% defense.

Meanwhile, a Regen Sentinel has CC protection and generally refuses to die, which is somewhat more bearable if you intend to play the other 99% of the game that isn't the end.

• Like 1

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

They have a questionable reputation, especially among power-gaming folks who tend to be on the lookout for "the best" of whatever character category they want to build.  Unfortunately that not-best assessment from the high end has filtered down to become "OMG THESE ALL SUCK" for a lot of people, so... yeah. You're likely to run into Conventional Wisdom that says Sentinels are always poor choice.  

Personally? I think their current Opportunity mechanics could use some work. Their damage sets are very uneven and often under-tuned. They absolutely do need a balance pass from the dev crew... Assault Rifle needs a whole lot more than just that... But with all that said, they're not terrible as-is or at all an unplayable choice. Some combinations are definitely stronger than others, and you'll never be The Most Dangerous Thing Ever, but on the average City team, not everyone needs to be The Absolute Best to smash a collective hole in the world.

I find that where Sentinels really do well *isn't* on a team, though. They're good soloists, and I've had a lot of fun with them in that space. Yes, with the right build any character in the City can solo... But to me at least, these guys actually feel like they were made for it.  So, if your buddies keep giving you grief about your supposedly less-than-optimal AT choice, make a Blaster to run with them and take your DP Sent out on their own. They'll be just fine. (I soloed a DP/Energy Sent to 50+ red-side, myself. It was good fun. DP is one of better-done Sentinel primaries.)

• Like 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I’m not sure Sents are underused, but I think they are misunderstood. A lot of people on CoH tend to look at the game very one-dimensionally, that dimension being Damage. If you view the game through that prism then, yes, Sentinels are poor. 

Personally, I’ve never looked at Sentinels as a damage-dealing AT. It’s more of a utility AT as far as I’m concerned. It can adapt to any requirement really. It can take alpha strike if need be, it can hover blast, it can comfortably survive in the melee, it can solo.

It doesn’t really need anyone’s help either. No tank on a team to take aggro? That’s fine, you don’t need one. No buffers? Also fine. You’re good. No debuffers? Won’t make much of a difference to you. No heals? Meh, you’ll be okay. 

A sentinel isn’t the most powerful AT, but it’s the most adaptable and independent, and that comes with a damage price I guess. 

As for value on teams... I’ve been on teams where I’ve been very thankful for a Sentinel around. Sents are always the last to die, and one has got a team back up and running after a wipe more than once by dragging a mob away from players ready to pop wakies. Their T9 being used on every mob tends to make life much easier for everyone else too. I’ve been playing a defender before, many times, that is taking aggro and a Sentinel has saved my bacon. Why? Because it was at range with me so could see I needed help whereas the tank couldn’t. 

The problem is, the people who will tell you Sentinels bring nothing are the same people who want you to believe they are single-handedly doing everything, so acknowledging Sentinels will never fit their narrative. 

I main a blaster btw. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

especially among power-gaming folks who tend to be on the lookout for "the best" of whatever character category they want to build.  Unfortunately that not-best assessment from the high end has filtered down to become "OMG THESE ALL SUCK" for a lot of people, so... yeah.

This. 

OMFG maybe you needed to fire off TWO attacks instead of one to wipe a mob.  Break out the opera singer belting out the tragedy.  You still mow through content plenty fast enough.  If you deeply care about speed-running, and if it really deep-down matters to you, that you cleared a map in 4 minutes vs 6, then OK, Sentinels are not for you. 

I will never give a flying leap about my clear times. 

Neither do most people I team with..

• Like 4
4 hours ago, MTeague said:

This. 

OMFG maybe you needed to fire off TWO attacks instead of one to wipe a mob.  Break out the opera singer belting out the tragedy.  You still mow through content plenty fast enough.  If you deeply care about speed-running, and if it really deep-down matters to you, that you cleared a map in 4 minutes vs 6, then OK, Sentinels are not for you. 

I will never give a flying leap about my clear times. 

Neither do most people I team with..

Precisely how I see it too. We lost CoH altogether for seven years, so why anyone would want to speed through it now is completely beyond me.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Innerwave said:

Are sentinels really looked down on this much?

Oh Hi! You're obviously new here. 

5 hours ago, MTeague said:

OMFG maybe you needed to fire off TWO attacks instead of one to wipe a mob. 

In other words, the Sentinel is literally unplayable. 

Image - 162808] | Flipping Tables / (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | Know Your Meme

• Haha 6

A heartfelt experience from someone who went into playing a Sentinel with zero expectations early on into Homecoming's life:

A long time before, back in the days of yore, I had a character concept that I really wanted to try and get off the ground which only worked as a Blaster as being the only high-yield Ranged class in the game. My goal was a long-ranged canon, truly using the concept of "range" as my actual "defense", but to my dismay Blasters still just didn't really fit the bill and I often found it faceplanted more than I'd ever felt comfortable with. There's just too much stuff in the early game that's office buildings and sewage plants that make the idea of a vast open orbital satellite like character from really shining, and it killed the dream for me.

In comes the prospects of Sentinels and having baked in armor along for the level-up ride, and I thought "hey, why not revisit the idea and see how I feel about it?"

Now I can't get nearly the same total net range as I could've before, but I was also now in a position where that didn't matter nearly as much. I loaded up procs into my attacks as the slots became available and I hit the XP pavement. I noticed slash felt by the time I got into my 40's that the game started to feel tipsy-turvy. Early on there's a lot of even exchange, but as sets grow, slots get slotted, and powers get expanded, AT's start to shimmer and shine, and I noticed in a team scenario that it was pretty easy for a Blaster to quickly out class me if one was present, but only if they were. If it was a few Melee and I, we were a pretty even bunch, at least enough that I didn't feel too wildly out of place.

By the time I got my Sentinel to 50, slotted, and marked with a couple of Incarnate abilities I came to terms with the fact that despite it being a somewhat fun journey to 50, I had come to feel a tad bit lacking in the end, like I'd been eating an ice cream cone and found out much too late that the entire time there'd been a hole in the bottom and it'd leaked down my shirt while I was eating the top.

I don't regret making the Sentinel and have no intention of deleting him, I'm just quietly waiting to see if some passive buff comes along that gives them a better purpose or toolkit than what they have now that might peak pique my interest in playing the character once again.

Edited by Sir Myshkin
typing on mobile is hard
  • Like 3

Sentinels are very fun for the ride to 50, and are still fun to play at 50. They just aren't optimal at 50 compared to blasters. If you aren't one of those who needs to have the best possible option, sentinels are fine. They do need some damage help, and I believe it will happen eventually. For the moment, I just play my sentinels when I feel like it and still have fun. That's why there's different ATs, so you can enjoy the content in different ways. 

Let's set down some facts. An "average" Blaster chasing 45% defense does not do a truck-ton of damage. They do about 20% more damage than a Sentinel chasing offense. Which will more than likely still be defense capped and have status protection that a Blaster does not. Now, your top end Blaster, Fire/Devices by my numbers, will absolutely destroy anything a Sentinel is capable of. Ever. But not everybody is playing that. This is averages I'm talking about. And honestly Elec/Devices and Fire/Devices are outliers and are throwing the averages out of whack anyway.

Your Average Corruptor will be matching Your average Sentinel. It will also not have innate status protection.

Defenders do 20% less damage than a Sentinel. In every instance. They're an actual support AT. Don't play them to do damage, play them to support.

Scrappers? A Scrappers average damage is a Blaster top end damage. Brutes are right behind them, and Tankers right behind Brutes.