Hate to even bring this up...

11 hours ago, Snarky said:

I do appreciate you bringing this up.  I, and I am not the only one, am so greatful to have this game back.  We must be diligent in protecting it.

Now, from the other perspective.  Creativity.  it is HARD to do something original.   We are not all Bob Ross after all.  And, think for a second, what if Bob Ross hated his own style?  Not saying he did.  But what if he had that natural landscape ability, looked at his work, and thought.  "Crap."  Would he stop painting?  Or start trying to emulate Picasso?

Most of us are not a Bob Ross, or  a Stan Lee, of character development.  Any beginning artist starts with copying the masters in their medium.  My main is a Nosferatu that is as close as I can create copy of Murnau's Nosferatu, portrayed originally be Max Shreck.  Seen in my profile pick being copied by Willem Dafoe.

The Blaster I created last night is a Skull sitting in a Black Knight suit of armor.  Derivative of so many horror titles.  Not a "copy' per se, but far from original.  I am writing the backstory currently but it is very inspired by Tolkein's Sauron.  Will be different.  Less than 6 feet tall, can see Skull clearly, Ice/Ice/Ice powers.  Yet the DNA will be there.  I owe the inspiration to create the character to my days, weeks...years? enjoying Tolkein's stories.  

Basically we need to police, for the good of the community.  But go gently my friends.  Peeps are just trying to create and enjoy.  Mostly.  Except people that do McDonald clones.  i hate that F-ing clown.  Ban them.

I, too, am grateful.  I still remember when a work teammate told me Homecoming existed.  I believe I frightened about 20 nearby coworkers in my outcry of shock and excitement. 

I agree, creativity is hard.  I've killed several character projects, even 30 levels in, because I couldn't get all the components to feel cohesive.  But we've got a forum full of friendly helps including both name ideas and costume design.  Its a better choice than copying a trademarked property.  As I mentioned in the OP, I've no problems with homage characters should there be enough differences that there's no ripoff.  I mean, I even saw what appeared to be an homage to 1930s Superman and a really swell homage to Dr. Fate during the weekend costume contests.  Neither violated the rules so far as I could tell, which meant the players took the time to think through their crafting,  rather than just ripping something off.

Yes, I used "swell".  No I'm not a Boomer.   😛

I saw your character, too, at the costume contest, Snarky.  Actually I saw him before I noticed the name, and thought, that looks  a lot like Snarky's forum pic.  And it was.  Good show!

Yes I used "good show".  No I'm not a Victorian.  😛

5 hours ago, Luminara said:

This isn't mob justice, it's a neighborhood watch meeting.  The tenants in 4B have been testing their home-made flamethrower indoors again and we don't want the entire apartment complex to be burnt to the ground. 

That was home-made?  They told me they got it from Elon Musk.    (Still don't want the apartment complex burnt.)

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

What is “Boomer Hive-Mind”? 
Why don’t you say what you mean instead of hiding behind made up terms? 😉

Geeze, you guys either are the most literal people in existence or very sensitive.

I didn't make up any terms.  In the context of my point is just old people being sticks in the mud or people acting like old sticks in the mud (for a turn of phrase you SHOULD be familiar with).  I'm not defending making copy-cat characters, per se, but rather highlighting that people DO find a different enjoyment in impersonating or reworking old established characters.  To flippantly discard such things as uncreative or malice seems particularly detached.  

I still got no response for the examples I presented.  I guess the only concern left is pure fear, which is a perfectly valid concern.  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

*glances back and forth, then quietly deposits the following video before scampering off again*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0x7ho_IYc

This is actually quite an interesting video.  A lot to digest but very informative.  He also presents everything with a touch of humor so extra points for that.  I'm not mentioning this to perpetuate the already rather exhausted 'discussion' in this thread - rather instead it is something fascinating and perhaps worthy of 20~ minutes of your time if you just like learning things, which I do.  In fact I see this guy has a bunch of videos that look interesting to me.  I have no idea if I agree with him on everything (maybe, maybe not) but he certainly presents the information in a fun way and with logic and reason.  I might check out some of his other vids now - so "Thanks!" @TemporalVileTerror.  👍

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Thanks 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Seen in my profile pick being copied by Willem Dafoe.

Wait.  I thought that was a picture of YOU Snarky you handsome devil you!  😉  (I've been trying to figure out who that was for weeks now, and Google image search would be cheating)

• Haha 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Sorry to get so off track from the original topic, but I couldn't think of anything that was still appropriate to it, and considering so much of this thread circled around to "generational gaps," I thought I'd share something in that vein which might help broaden some perspectives.
You're welcome, @KauaiJim.  It's nice to know it was appreciated.
Likewise, I don't always agree with Michael's personal views or conclusions when he expresses them in some videos, but facts are facts.  And the more information our little ape brains can absorb, the more analysis and synthesis of new ideas we can perform.
I encourage everyone to just keep learning.  Vsauce, Mindfield, and Kurzgesagt provide a lot of interesting information and -actually cite their sources!-  Big kudos to them for that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

Man cannot live on cake alone.

But if we throw in Shepherd's Pie, and Chicken Pot Pie, you CAN live on pie alone.  (Although you might need to live a very active lifestyle.)

Now I'm hungry

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Naraka said:

Geeze, you guys either are the most literal people in existence or very sensitive.

I didn't make up any terms.  In the context of my point is just old people being sticks in the mud or people acting like old sticks in the mud (for a turn of phrase you SHOULD be familiar with).  I'm not defending making copy-cat characters, per se, but rather highlighting that people DO find a different enjoyment in impersonating or reworking old established characters.  To flippantly discard such things as uncreative or malice seems particularly detached.  

I still got no response for the examples I presented.  I guess the only concern left is pure fear, which is a perfectly valid concern.  

‘stick in the mud’ is a characteristic that can apply to anyone equally regardless of age. 

‘boomer hive-mind’ seems to unnecessarily focus on people of a particular age. 

I think using that term made your argument a lot weaker rather than stronger as it made it seem like you judgement was clouded by prejudice, for future reference. 😎

Let’s honest, most of us who are into CoH were young when it first came out, and are now older. So know your reader too 😉

• Like 4

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

13 hours ago, kelika2 said:

The hate is moving onto how old someone is.

And away from controllers who do immobilise? 😁

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone