Put all mission objectives on the map.

Wasting your time by hiding objectives was part of the MMO zeitgeist back in the day, but times have changed.  People want their objectives in plain sight now.

Code's already there to show objectives when some percentage of them are left to go.  Just turn that to 100%.

• Like 4

That cuts out some mission/objective types, where you find, complete or defeat something and have something else trigger.

Besides, the "show remaining mobs" code doesn't always work.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Apparition said:

No thank you.  The game is easy enough as it is.

The game's difficulty is under your control.  It always has been.  Changing anything now changes nothing if you want things hard.

This game can have some modern game design tropes.

Edited by DarknessEternal
  • Like 3

I think it would make character who can ghost past everything too strong.

If you have trouble finding the glowies, change the sound file.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I think it would a good Temp Power or similar out-of-the-way perk that could allow this kind of information to be shown on the map.  I know back when Day Jobs were on the horizon, I assumed the likes of what we now have as Reveal or the Last Enemies Shown map features would be what the Day Jobs would unlock.   Maybe it's time to visit that kind of thing as a possibility with some new Day Jobs.

I'll staunchly stand behind any suggestion that makes the game more accessible or adjusts difficulty, as long as it's optional and in the player's control.  Personalized game experiences are exactly the sort of thing which make up City of Heroes core identity, and expanding on them reinforces what allowed so many different people to become so passionate for this game over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nah.  I'm not in school reading Cliff notes, I'm reading the book.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I kinda see this working as testing purposes on AE missions where it is hard to find what you looking for. But normal game? No thanks.

Or put some kinda sonic radar device as temp power maybe? It will ping if what you looking for is nearby when you activate it. But also de-stealth you.

Edited by Darkneblade

Yes please. Unlike so many others in this thread I am not a fan to of scouring the map looking for things that are hiding in the rafters, or behind plumbing, or ARE SIMPLY INSIDE THE GEOMETRY, as has happened more than once. We do have the code when only one objective or only a few of the mobs are left but this isn't not always a thing.

Maybe it should be a toggle in the options though, for those who don't want it.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2021 at 6:48 PM, Darkneblade said:

I kinda see this working as testing purposes on AE missions where it is hard to find what you looking for. But normal game? No thanks.

Or put some kinda sonic radar device as temp power maybe? It will ping if what you looking for is nearby when you activate it. But also de-stealth you.

Speaking as a player whose play includes writing AEs, I don't WANT you finding all the objectives before you're supposed to. So maybe we need to clarify this a bit more. Are we talking about that "Where the hell is that damn thing?" we all get when searching for the last glowie? Or are we suggesting some form of the Reveal power that just lights up where all the objects are as soon as you activate it?  Because if it's the latter then IMO that's a terrible idea.

(I do, where possible, label my stuff like "1 Filing Cabinet to find [back]")

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

As someone who has spent 20 mins looking for Dr Whathisname, in the mission from Tina, I think this would be a good idea. As others are saying, make it totally optional. But considering we ALREADY have AE Fire Farms that let people hit 50 in an hour..why is it so bad that other groups of people want to save time and not have to hunt for glowies/bosses/ladt dude on the map?

Make it another Prestige Power..Super Reveal or something.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, RogerWilco said:

I think it would make character who can ghost past everything too strong.

Oh so everyone with SS + a stealth power is OP and should be nerfed? Got it.

• Like 3

It really circles back to the question of "What even -is- 'The Game' in City of Heroes?"
People clearly have different answers to that question.  I believe those answers are always valid so long as they do not harm other players.
Someone being able to play a game (ANY game) on an easier difficulty mode than another player does not cause harm to the players who are choosing to play on harder difficulties.  It doesn't change what has been "earnt," since nothing it actually -being- earnt.  It's all make-believe.

As long as difficulty settings are optional and within each player's personal control, the way any other player chooses to engage with the game is independent of others.

Yes, PvP introduces a complication to that point of view.
But given the very particular brand of PvP here, it's segregation from PvE content (where these difficulty settings and quality of life features would be used), and that the most vocal members of this game's progressively more tailor-fit PvP experience have said time and time again that the PvE experience is largely divorced from the rules and structure of PvP here,

... there aren't really any advantages to a player getting rewarded more easily in PvE content that would have a detrimental knock-on effect to other players' PvP experience.

The game -can- stand to get easier.  If someone personally doesn't want to play on easy mode, then that should remain their personal choice.  Thus optional settings and features are clearly acceptable additions.

And, for a sense of fair play and equity; sure!  There should also be more options to increase and improve the difficulty settings for those seeking that kind of gameplay too.
But at the moment, the difficulty scale goes from -1 to +4.  Things are already leaning in the favour of players who want a tougher time.

Some sort of reliable but optional way to find glowies, hostages, or stragglers in instanced missions is an excellent idea worth pursuing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

Some sort of reliable but optional way to find glowies, hostages, or stragglers in instanced missions is an excellent idea worth pursuing.

Optional.  Absolutely.

I don't like not being able to find that last damn glowie either. But for the above mentioned reasons I don't want it immediately easy to just waltz around an AE I've written. So an optional super Reveal from the TFV/P2W that costs a fair bit more than Reveal perhaps. One that will not work in PVP.

And for this player, no, I do not see this as somehow being a QOL modifier. 

25 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

One that will not work in PVP.

Why are people bringing up PvP? Normal Reveal already shows a pvp map, or you can just run about and unfog it all. I thought the only PvP missions with objectives are the ones in Warburg, and I really cant see a new 'super reveal' power suddenly making everyone flock there.

11 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Why are people bringing up PvP? Normal Reveal already shows a pvp map, or you can just run about and unfog it all. I thought the only PvP missions with objectives are the ones in Warburg, and I really cant see a new 'super reveal' power suddenly making everyone flock there.

I suggested an Influence cost for this and I’m not sure how you took my interaction to be the same as Darmian’s.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

10 minutes ago, Myrmidon said:

I suggested an Influence cost for this and I’m not sure how you took my interaction to be the same as Darmian’s.

I didn't, really. But you did quote his bit about PvP..hence me saying 'people' bringing up PvP.  Anyway, I am still wondering!

This suggestion will have zero impact on PvP.

Edited by America's Angel

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.