Things one misses from the original game

Post things fondly remembered from the original game that you might not have seen in Homecoming.

I play Excelsior 98% of the time, so these may be prevalent elsewhere and I've not seen them:

Taxibot supergroups - though I see an occasional character designed as a taxibot, the new and easier travel methods have mostly annihilated this.

Cow Supergroups - though I see the occasional cow character, I miss the days when a full bovine supergroup would meet up under Atlas before heading out on some crazy mission most likely heavily laced with cow puns.

Full instance herding - from the earliest days of CoH, tanks were powerful enough to herd an entire instance to one spot for wild and crazy team slaughtering.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 4

Fortunately for me the list of 'things I don't miss from live' is the longer one.  😁

The instance herding thing was fun.  I agree with the specialty supergroups too.  On Everlasting the other day my cyborg gorilla toon got an invite to an all animal themed SG which tells me that those things are maybe still around just harder to find?

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 4

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Street cleaning - radio basically eliminated this, but several HC changes and a smaller player base put the nail in the coffin. Teams used to just run around and beat up mobs on the street. That's basically what Boomtown was for. I also used to follow solo players around and heal them, was my favorite hobby.

• Like 4

Definitely the Taxibots.

Can't really say I miss the instance herding thing. Boring as hell if you're not the tank. Just "everyone stand around and wait. Someone nuke. OK, next floor."

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Base raids...I miss the fun of 2 super groups coming together and doing a pvp event.

I know alot of people hate pvp in this game but this was a great way for people to become friends, coalition buddies, new teammates, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

When I started out on live....Redside Liberty because I had no idea about server populations.  I was pretty happy to street sweep in Port Oakes to get levels.  It was not organized or pretty but it was fun.  Of course Knockout Blow at that level is a hoot.

• Like 1

All of the original and varied mobs you used to get when running Maria Jenkins and Tina Macintyre missions.  All gone, replaced with generic Praetorian robots and soldiers. 

Statesman.  Yes, the character was a bit of a tool, not the hero's hero he was presented as.  This itself is what made him an irresistible figure of fun. 

The original Sister Psyche task force.  No worse than Citadel, really.  Lots of XP.

Dreck and his map.  AFAIAC the Freakshow were ruined by adding Super Stunners. 

• Like 5
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

4 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

Dreck and his map.  AFAIAC the Freakshow were ruined by adding Super Stunners. 

Not a big fan of the Super Stunners either.  I've no metering to prove it, but it feels like the majority of Freek rezzes go to these guys now.  I liked the original take on it, which was that any of the Freeks could rez, and good percentage of them would.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Not a big fan of the Super Stunners either.  I've no metering to prove it, but it feels like the majority of Freek rezzes go to these guys now.  I liked the original take on it, which was that any of the Freeks could rez, and good percentage of them would.

Super stunners rez 100% of the time if there are any targets within their range.  The number of targets determines what percentage of their HP they reclaim when they get up.  If you don't want super stunners rezzing, kill them from 25' or further away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do miss seeing the Taxis- especially on maps like The Hollows where you'd pray to see one.

I also miss (in a really weird way) getting travel powers at lvl 14- as a severe case of altitis, it was always a bit of a slog and The Hollows were deadly to lower levels- but the moment you finally unlocked that travel power, you felt euphoric!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

Super stunners rez 100% of the time if there are any targets within their range.  The number of targets determines what percentage of their HP they reclaim when they get up.  If you don't want super stunners rezzing, kill them from 25' or further away.

5aop3z.jpg.64d9650d95aca12be1174c0f4a7a92a3.jpg

Just now, TraumaTrain said:

I miss Double XP Weekends.

I got my first main to 50 without knowing you could get double XP from the P2W lady.  I was WAITING for one of those weekends!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

13 hours ago, merrypessimist said:

With my new DP/MC blaster, I have found Ki Push to be a fun way to push them to a distance and a bullet to the face solves that nasty rez problem.

To be honest, I kind of miss having to unlock costume parts and slots like capes, auras, etc... I still refuse to utilize those costume pieces and slots until I've done the required missions at the appropriate level. Back on live, it always made me really happy to get to level 20 and go talk to Serge for a new costume, then go to City Hall for my cape. Sure, I can pretend I'm still unlocking it, but it's not really the same feeling, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

Very little, if anything at all. I have been around since CoH headstart (replete with my special head start sprint), and for me, this is the journey, not the end, and definitely not the beginning. Considering the massive evolution the game has gone through (and continues to go through), I am more than happy to keep going as it were. Still don't care about the origin. Sure, dumpster herding was fun, but so is fold space. Getting hung up on reminiscence doesn't help you to see what is there (buy it) NAO. 

• Like 5

All the people that were on my "Global Friends" List that have not returned. ( Including my brother, who just did not have any real interest in playing, left live at issue 16? or so )

Virtues always present creative community, saw some of the most Amazing Characters there, 3' tall Bird people, that sort of stuff.

The wonder that this game could elicit, at the time this game at Ultra was fantastic, and you had to have a really nice computer to appreciate it all, or to even see it.

I had a nice machine with a 2 Gig Video card and a dedicated Ageia PhsyX Co-Processor, rag doll physics actually didn't look like a defeated NPC were having a seizure or dismembering themselves.

Also had a  Yamaha 3D sound card, finding glowies was a piece of cake.

• Like 5

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

You can do pretty much anything you want to, you just have to let people know and they will oblige you. You just can't bring people back who don't want to play anymore. 😞

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I wish not everything was soloable. The task forces where you used to have to coordinate can now be done by a single player. It's a small thing, but that's a change I wish they'd reverted when the server went public.

• Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas