Things one misses from the original game

I miss the old Pocket D on Union.

Perhaps it's because I've grown up a lot since then, or just because I'm more aware, but there are a lot of... very strange characters hanging around there these days that skirt the codes of conduct. (And some that blatantly disregard it.) Back on Union, we had our fair share of that too, of course, but in far smaller number, and far less blatant, or so it feels to me.

It's probably just the old rose-tinted glasses, but these days it feels like a huge part of my cherished teens (and the introduction to roleplay in general) has become a means for sleazy people to be sleazy, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Veloice said:

I miss the old Pocket D on Union.

Perhaps it's because I've grown up a lot since then, or just because I'm more aware, but there are a lot of... very strange characters hanging around there these days that skirt the codes of conduct. (And some that blatantly disregard it.) Back on Union, we had our fair share of that too, of course, but in far smaller number, and far less blatant, or so it feels to me.

It's probably just the old rose-tinted glasses, but these days it feels like a huge part of my cherished teens (and the introduction to roleplay in general) has become a means for sleazy people to be sleazy, sometimes.

As far as I know that's an Everlasting thing.  None of that nonsense happens in Pocket D on Excelsior, Torchbearer, nor Indomitable.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Apparition said:

As far as I know that's an Everlasting thing.  None of that nonsense happens in Pocket D on Excelsior, Torchbearer, nor Indomitable.

Oh, absolutely. I'm speaking as a roleplayer myself about roleplay specifically in Pocket D - I should have specified.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, kikyoku said:

I think the biggest change is just the leveling curve. I don't want to turn this into a complaints post, but everyone just powers to 50 on double xp, and the only things being run below that are task forces.

Hollows used to be what you did at low levels every time, and the danger of it was the point. Now A Hollows group is pretty rare and they are always just running arcs. Plus, travel powers and fast travel means you don't have your blaster sprinting through the mission door in the red with a group of trolls following them.

A couple times now I've powered a new character to 20 to experience low level content and no one was doing it. I know I could just run it myself but... I guess I just miss the crowd of people. I almost wonder if we shouldn't reduce the number of shards and have everyone play together.

I agree.

The Hollows was the place to be, running like mad to FrostFire only to die at the door ...lol

/e poofgone

On 5/24/2021 at 2:43 PM, kikyoku said:

Plus, travel powers and fast travel means you don't have your blaster sprinting through the mission door in the red with a group of trolls following them.

ahhh the memories. 

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, GastlyGibus said:

I personally just wish activating the challenge settings on TF's gave you bonus merits. "Hey, you did the Imperious Task Force with 0 deaths, enemies buffed and no inspirations? Have some bonus merits for your effort!"

I do wish those settings did something, if only to give the same badges you get if you set them in Ouroboros.  I always set the time and deaths when I start a task force, if only because the TF completion text gives you more data.  I always take care to let the team know the settings are only for fun.  Once was on a Citadel with all the enemies buffed and players debuffed settings on for the hell of it.  Took more than three hours.  And in the end, no badge, nothing to prove that we did it.

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

2 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I agree.

The Hollows was the place to be, running like mad to FrostFire only to die at the door ...lol

28 minutes ago, Cherry said:

ahhh the memories. 

Of putting the "vet/team lead" on follow "he'd get us there" to a deep distant Hollows door.  Over that big boulder ... and into the Gultch.  Man that Ogre is purple thinks my lvl 6 scrapper as the boulders flew.  You'll be pleased to know my corpse stuck the landing!

Or my now lvl 43 scrapper's super jump  landing her outside her mission door in PI that was within sight of two things.  The Portal Corp parking lot and a nice large mob of lvl 50 Nemesis Jaegers.  Couldn't click the door fast enough.  They certainly had a perverse tendency to place your mission doors deep, deep in the red zones.  And I'm just unbalanced enough to miss it at times.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Heraclea said:

I always set the time and deaths when I start a task force, if only because the TF completion text gives you more data.  I always take care to let the team know the settings are only for fun.

Unless I'm in a rush and forget, I always set a limit on deaths just because it won't track them otherwise. I also tell everyone on the team this, and not to worry about it - it's not like it tracks who dies, and I like to know the final number.

Chalk me up as one who also wants those settings to mean something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, siolfir said:

Unless I'm in a rush and forget, I always set a limit on deaths just because it won't track them otherwise. I also tell everyone on the team this, and not to worry about it - it's not like it tracks who dies, and I like to know the final number.

Chalk me up as one who also wants those settings to mean something.

Just avoid running with a FFoF team (Faithful Fans of Fallout) ... not sure the numbers can go that high 😜

1 minute ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Just avoid running with a FFoF team (Faithful Fans of Fallout) ... not sure the numbers can go that high 😜

Probably, and teams like that are why I started wanting to know the final number. 😄

• Like 2

I miss Doctor Door!

(If you hadn't noticed, in the original game, going through a mish door had a bug where it randomly inflicted a minor amount of damage to your character. If your HP was low enough, it could kill you!  Instead of fixing the bug, the Devs decided to add a Heal effect to the mission door.

Since always heal > sometimes damage, it became a thing for overmatched squishies to run to the mish door when they got down to their favorite hit point. Bounce in and out a few times, you'd get maybe a half bar of health. Thus, "BRB, I have an appointment with Doctor Door!")

I think they fixed the bug and killed off Doctor Door about the time dying in missions started to earn half the debt of dying on patrol. Probably a net win. But I still remembered Dr. Door with fondness.

(old-guy anecdote alert!)

In fact, my Grav/FF controller and a stalwart companion were the last members of a deserted old-fashioned Posi TF, with the front-loaded offices full of Spectres and such who'd been kicked out of Oranbega. We used Dr. Door (and bubbles) and managed to finish the damn thing!

It was one of my early peak experiences with CoH. Sniff!

Edited by DoctorDitko
'splaining, anecdote
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Various discussions of redside population got me to thinking: 

I miss the time when, if you wanted to jump from Hero to Villain (or vice-versa, or in between) you had to play your way from one side to the other. That way, if you saw, say, a Tank in Nerva, or a stalker running around Talos Island, it was a rare sight (was especially fun if that was you). Then running tips to get to that gray area so you could hop back and forth. Felt like a real achievement. 

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I miss how the game played right before the incarnate system came around. I don't want to make this a complaint post or make it sound like the game was a utopia, there were a lot of powersets needing love. But there was something really fun about the battles at that time being dictated by the actual powersets your team had available. I can still find things that can kill me right now of course, but the conflict is less satisfying due to numbers being pushed so far to their limits. 

• Like 7

One thing I'm nostalgic about is the TP chains my coalition used to do.

Pretty much everyone would take Recall.  When it was time to head to the next mish, often in another zone, one person would race to the tunnel thru the warwall, and Recall someone directly into zoning.  That person would rush to the next tunnel and when Person #! Recalleded the next "victim" into the tunnel, Person #2 would Recall them directly into the next zone.  Repeat ad nauseum until the entire team was at the next mish.

The one thing I really miss is the original dialogs between the Desperate Guy and the Turndown Girl in Pocket D.  There were some truly epic burns in there.

<Dons flamesuit> Toggle Instant Healing and Rage Defense crashes that could be worked around.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

To the folks who miss the old ways, they can still experience it in a way - the only difference between then and now is choosing to level up quickly or turning off experience. There are challenges on these forums that explain the conditions a player would need to meet in order to correctly duplicate 'the old ways,' but the good news for those folks is it's still possible.

And it's possible for other folks to experience the game how they want to play it. If that means getting to 50 in 30 minutes, they should be just as capable of having their fun as the many other ways available in this game. At least that's how I see it. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Oh, and I miss the very first Winter event where the giant monster was worth a ton of xp.

The first time seeing Eochai on a Halloween. 

Playing city of villains on day one. 

When PvP zones weren't empty. 

The first time I teleported out of a map - it was Perez Park. Started a life long love of geometry breaking in other games. 

Unlocking a travel power for the first time. Fly was so fast and cost so much endurance lol

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 5/24/2021 at 12:00 AM, TraumaTrain said:

I miss Double XP Weekends.

I remember making sure to take off the whole weekend each time that happened.  The one time I missed part of one was, well, my sister was getting married.  But I still made it home that night!   Other than that, barring my characters and the billions....AND BILLIONS of inf I had....I'm good.  Though I did have a lot of friends online.  But now, it's easier to get IOs, still a bit grindy but not horrible. Only reason I don't play more is because I need to get a new PC, and even though I'm not working atm I can't be playing games all the time, I'm too lazy.

Honestly... I miss very little.  For 8 years I was looking for a game "like CoH."  I think I finally found what I was looking for.

• Thanks 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Oddly, the things I miss most seem to be rooted in nostalgia and not in actual enjoyment of the game.  I do miss double-xp weekends, but then again, I can have one any time I want via the P2W vendor.  Our sg might decide to schedule one for our members, and if I'm simply swamped or out of town or can't get online on the rare 2xp weekend, I don't stress it now because any weekend I want can be 2xp.  Any day I want can be 2xp.  I like that.  I like it a lot.

Yes, the Hollows used to be a unique challenge, but it really really sucked at the time.  Hard.  Sure the taxibots helped with the suckage, but it was a slog, and while shining up a debt badge may seem like fun, it was, in fact, not fun to get "this close" to the mish door (on the far side of the map. because of course) only to be struck down by a mob that spawned in the time it took you to run back from the hospital. 

And this was on every single toon, so the novelty wore off super fast.  So then  you go to KR instead of dealing with the Hollows with no travel, and that was much better (running straight down the middle of the road, anyone?), but it took forever to get anywhere, and once you got there, you were out of inspirations, on the verge of an end crash (pre-inherent stamina), and had to sit inside the mish door and rest.  Then you had to rest after every fight.  Just like you had to in the Hollows.  Yeah, don't miss any of that, not at all, not even a teensy tiny bit.

Even those things that I remember fondly (like earning capes and Roman costume pieces, etc.) are just fond memories.  I didn't unlock capes on the majority of my toons, let alone stress out that I didn't have Roman sandals.  I did all that on one, maybe three or four, toons, but I couldn't be bothered on the vast majority.  It was a slog. So  yeah, I did do the Steel Canyon Midnighters Arc on all my toons just so they could get into Cim, but I didn't see it as fun.  CoT, Lady Jane, meh, grind through it, I told myself, get access to Cim.  NOW, though, I do that arc quite often because I want to not because I have to in order to enter a zone. 

I love the freedom we have on HC.  I love being able to pick any costume piece, any aura, any cape, any wings, etc. that I want from the get-go.  I love not being forced to complete or even unlock (or hope someone's on who is running) mishes for those items, for access to Cim, for respecs.  It's just a million times better now, and I wouldn't go back to live if I could.  I hear there are servers running COH that still have live requirements; you couldn't pay me to join them now (and this after my being a paid subscriber to just that for many years, and I'd still be subscribing now, of course, but I wouldn't know how much more awesome the game is when you aren't stuck in grindy stuff on every single toon). 

Sure, it was fun to earn my cape the first few times, but that wore off fast, and I got to where I just didn't use capes on the majority of my toons (ditto all the other fussy stuff we had to do for this thing or that).  Sure, my main and one or two others had all the goodies, but that's it.  Don't miss a bit of it, not really.   I think back to fun times doing them with a great team or to that first time I did it and felt so awesome I couldn't wait to get to the tailor, but that's not missing a game mechanic, that's just missing that one moment in time, one that was never recreated even on live.  You can only earn your first cape/etc. once, and after that, it's just not a thing.  At least it wasn't for me.

• Like 5

On 5/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, Nitekilla said:

The blinkies in certain missions used to give massive xp.  I would power level my stalker by running around and clicking the blinkies and then reset the mission !

Lol, I remember a mission in Peregrine that had those that we replayed endlessly until they fixed it. You could even get the XP outside of the mission as long as you were part of the team. One time I just stood in Atlas and the leveling animation going off every few minutes. People would ask how I am leveling just standing there. It was hilarious.