Which Server is the "RED" server?

UltraAlt

25 minutes ago, Dahkness said:

I play mainly blue cause it’s a pain in the butt to invite people to a ITF if you’re not blue. If they fixed small things like that. I’d play red more.

You're honestly better off requiring people to be in zone before you invite them anyway though.  Can't tell you how many times I've seen someone added to the team who then asks, in all seriousness... "Uh... how do I get there?"

The thing I would like them to fix though if they can is getting dropped from a team for going to Ouro or an SG base while cross-teaming.  I would honestly consider playing more actual villains if that were done.  I still have a few, but it's a bit annoying to cross-team sometimes and the team wants to move quickly but you don't have a teleport up that can take you to the mission or zone it's in quickly.  So you leg it to the transport or a zone boundary while everyone waits for you in the mission map (or doesn't wait, depending).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In all seriousness though they should consider a bank heist as a joinable instance for Heroes to get beat down by (or get to thwart) Villains.  Say a Villain gets to go rob a bank it scales them to the level of the instance and depending on the amount of teammates on each side the lower amount of players in the opposing team would get a handicap level.  

Say you have a team of 8 villains robbing the level 25 range bank.  It'll set your level at the top level and que you up.  Then there'd be a signaled event on the hero side, if say 7-8 heroes join up they all stay at level 25 and duke it out.  But if only 5-6 heroes join they get a level handicap so they'll show up as level 26's, 3-4 would be 27's and then 1-2 would be 28's, they'd still only have access to the powers 5 levels above 25 still though like normal if they are exemped.  This could also be inversed if there's only 1 villain that wants to take on the world.  

Also if no one on the other side wants to que then it can just then default to the npc version.  

You could also add in a nice pvp recipe drop or some attractive reward on top of the temp power to entice people to partake, kind of like the SBB with the once per day reward lockout.  If it's fun for you you can still que up as much as you like in the day.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

In all seriousness though they should consider a bank heist as a joinable instance for Heroes to get beat down by (or get to thwart) Villains.  Say a Villain gets to go rob a bank it scales them to the level of the instance and depending on the amount of teammates on each side the lower amount of players in the opposing team would get a handicap level.  

Say you have a team of 8 villains robbing the level 25 range bank.  It'll set your level at the top level and que you up.  Then there'd be a signaled event on the hero side, if say 7-8 heroes join up they all stay at level 25 and duke it out.  But if only 5-6 heroes join they get a level handicap so they'll show up as level 26's, 3-4 would be 27's and then 1-2 would be 28's, they'd still only have access to the powers 5 levels above 25 still though like normal if they are exemped.  This could also be inversed if there's only 1 villain that wants to take on the world.  

Also if no one on the other side wants to que then it can just then default to the npc version.  

You could also add in a nice pvp recipe drop or some attractive reward on top of the temp power to entice people to partake, kind of like the SBB.  

As long as it's optional, I think this would be great. 

ie, the Villain starting the mayhem should be able to choose "Nope, I don't care how many heroes are in the queue for a PvP safeguard, I'm not doing PvP, give me NPC opponents"

Same for Heroes too, it's just by population numbers, I expect there to be more of a bottleneck with villains vs heroes.

probably better as a totally new type of event though... both mayhems and safeguards are also timed, and have badges, and crowds of NPC ambushes, not sure you can nicely fit an opposing team into that without lopsiding too badly.  But a new event type designed that way from the ground up?  Sure.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MTeague said:

As long as it's optional, I think this would be great. 

ie, the Villain starting the mayhem should be able to choose "Nope, I don't care how many heroes are in the queue for a PvP safeguard, I'm not doing PvP, give me NPC opponents"

Same for Heroes too, it's just by population numbers, I expect there to be more of a bottleneck with villains vs heroes.

probably better as a totally new type of event though... both mayhems and safeguards are also timed, and have badges, and crowds of NPC ambushes, not sure you can nicely fit an opposing team into that without lopsiding too badly.  But a new event type designed that way from the ground up?  Sure.

Yeah there could be an option to select default or listed pvp event if there's takers.  If no takers then it resorts to the default style. 

It could still be built off of all of the same timed events and stuff, Villains get to run in with a head start and the Heroes have 15 minutes to stop them.  The escape route can only be shown once the bank has been looted so that the Heroes don't just get to camp the exit. 

If more villains make it out than there are heroes left the villains win a little bit extra, if the heroes hold it to a draw or capture more then they'd get a bit more of a reward.  Only 1 defeat though too so if you get killed and a teammate doesn't have a rez power then you stay unconscious (no temp powers or wakies), or it can transfer you to a proper jail cell until the event is decided.   

The winning criteria should actually be more fluid and would need to be scaled with team size too so that the solo villain gets all of their glory if they make it out against the 8 heroes.  

Edited by Mezmera

12 hours ago, Greycat said:

If you want it, do it.

Start organizing villain events. Do it on regular times.

Get villain groups together to run VG things at regular times.

Advertise it. Put the work in to make it happen.

For instance, start planning and advertising. Tuesday? Nope. BROOsday - redside brute bruising (ok, the others can come along if they want.)  Wednesday? Widsday... Widows (and SOA,) go through the arcs, missions, whatever. Thorn Tree Thursdays. Friday, take a day off. Saturday is shatterday - get those radios in, get as much mayhem going as possible. (I'd also suggest, if doing this, you get backup in case you can't show up, because this can burn one person out quick.)

Love this.  I've been saying this for a while now, but clearly yelling down the wrong alleys.  You've put a bit more thought into the details.

My unscientific impression is that Everlasting, while not as big as Excelsior, seems to have a higher percentage of its player base playing villains than any other.  This is probably to be expected from a server where roleplayers hang out. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

22 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You might have a point about those yellow guys, but they don't complain about not having anyone to team with.

Blue server? Ha. Heroes aren't complaining about anyone to team with either. Heroes get together to game with each other on every server.

It's always the mopey villains complaining about not having anyone to team with. How they are so cool, but no one wants to game with them.

"I'll turn on you and steal you blind in an instant! Why won't you be my friend? Here have a cookie. I promise it probably isn't lethal poison. No. Not that one. Take the one with skull and crossbones on it."

Even try to say something that might be to their advantage and they attack it.
It is what villains do. Can't help being villainous.

Carry on with your bad selves in self imposed isolation.

Heroes are bland, boring, and generally uninspirational.

"I think I'll make a ripoff of [X]!"

"Yeah! Go for it!"

I mean if we're going to make erroneously incorrect generalizations I want in! I can also talk about the fact that blueside produces some of the most star-allergic people I have ever seen in any game ever to add to the generalization.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

19 hours ago, ZemX said:

There are certainly people who play almost exclusively blue or red, but I kind of wonder how many people really do that.  I would think most people would want access to content from both sides.

Have the devs ever posted alignment stats like they've done for ATs and powersets? 

That'd be kinda cool. I play with the philosophy that most of my chars need to be vig/rogue to not only access both zones/all badges, but also because imo, if they were placed in RL and supers were a thing, there would not be very many TRUE Heroes or Villains. Most folks would be rogue, or some vigilantes so..

• Like 1

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Just now, Seed22 said:

That'd be kinda cool. I play with the philosophy that most of my chars need to be vig/rogue to not only access both zones/all badges, but also because imo, if they were placed in RL and supers were a thing, there would not be very many TRUE Heroes or Villains. Most folks would be rogue, or some vigilantes so..

For me, I have to not think about Vigilante because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense you'd go redside and run villain missions with other villains if you were just a hero that goes to extremes to bring villains to justice.

Rogues meanwhile are a lot easier.  You can do anything you want when your reason for it is merely self-interest. 

On 5/24/2021 at 12:26 PM, Glacier Peak said:

So is this a new suggestion thread (but in the General Discussion sub forum?), a rant about villain population, or just a collection of previously posted suggestions that did not receive the adjudication that the original poster wanted? 

I'm not into thread necromancy

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, Mezmera said:

They should make it so that when you complete the LRSF it'll spawn his henchwoman Ghost Widow and the bunch into AP at the bottom of the steps alongside those newly minted heroes.

back before the Sunset, sometimes GMS would puppet/play Giant monsters or AVs and spawn them in Atlas on top of City Hall. I always thought that was a good time.

I would, however, like them to appear at a zone gate and then travel to a given point on the map (any map and not just Atlas - there is usually a spot where this kind of thing happens/people congregate for this kind of thing). This gives some more action to it and gives time for players to respond before the target Giant Monster/AV(s) lock down to a certain spot.

23 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

The flaw in this thinking is the presumption that most "red" players play villains exclusively.

23 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Trying to push all who play villains to one server would mean either 1) players separating their hero and villain characters to different servers, which I expect most will not be willing to do, or 2) many "red" players bringing their "blue" alts over as well, boosting the "blue" population

No flaw in thinking. I play on all the servers. I play heroes mostly, but have like 5-8 Rogues (which mostly end up playing heroe side when I do run them).

I know I'm in the minority.

The majority seem to be those that run one MAIN character possibly with some alts.

Fewer are those that really alt out and don't really have a MAIN character, but do have a MAIN server.

Fewer still are those that make alts on other servers and jump servers daily. Honestly these players most probably have a main server as well. (I have to admit that I do)

No one is trying to "push" or force anyone anywhere.

Suggestion was that if players are having a hard time finding other villains to team up with then perhaps calling a server the unofficial Villain server would allow players that want to play villains a target server for grouping up for that kind of game play.

No forcing. No pushing. No dragging. No forced imprisonment on an "unofficial" server. No forced removal from a server due to gameplay choices  (I would be kicked off the PVP server as I haven't PVP'd on that server yet!)

But you see, that is the root of what we are talking about here. Making a suggestion isn't taking away anyone's choices.

Some arbitrary group of players that decide that they have made the final call on something doesn't mean that they are allowed to impose their view on everyone else (unless they are the DEVs of course and to some extent GMs).

I have not called for locking down any server to Hero content only. I haven't run into anyone posting about doing that.

Most of the most - let us say - impassioned people against what they they consider to be villain segregation (I really consider it to be consolidation for mutual advantage and my opinion is my opinion just as much as they have theirs) are acting like that is what is being called for. Some kind of forced removal of villains to a server.

That is a huge and unfounded conclusion based on my post. It's knee jerk and extremism. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Just because people moved villains to an unofficial villain server does not necessarily mean that they will bring all their characters with them.  The Heroes would still have plenty to game with where ever they were. Other heroes are not going to move to another server simply because you moved your villains there.

Characters can also move back and forth across servers (possible naming issues being the only reason not to do this)

22 hours ago, ZemX said:

There are certainly people who play almost exclusively blue or red, but I kind of wonder how many people really do that.  I would think most people would want access to content from both sides.

I'm assuming a lot more than did on live when CoV was first released.

I know I felt like I should explore the content since I was paying for it.

I can't remember for sure if I was leaning towards buying CoV or until it meant that I had to buy it in order to have access to Hero Bases.

Since I had bought CoV (for hero bases), I felt like like I should explore the content.

I like playing heroes more than villains.

I enjoy playing villain content more than playing Praetorian content (and I know that there is a lot of Praetorian content shoehorned into to hero and villain game play at this point.)

Initially, I really had issue with the villain content because I had set my Logitech game controller up for City of Heroes gameplay. CoV was much more vertical which meant that was having to take my hand off of the controller quite frequently to change viewing angle with the mouse.

After the sunset, I ended up playing DCUO (DC Universe Online <-assuming I don't need to say this but just in case) which made me re-configure my controller settings completely.

When I started playing on Homecoming, I rebuilt my City of Heroes controller configuration based on some of the ways I had set up my controller to play DCUO (mainly camera control)

This may negate some of the reasons that I probably didn't enjoy villains as much.

Plus, I'm not really villain oriented to be honest. 

22 hours ago, ZemX said:

Have the devs ever posted alignment stats like they've done for ATs and powersets? 

you can look on the server page https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/ and see the population broken down at any given time (oh, the number difference in the totals .. that would be the Praetorians that don't get their own column listing).

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 minute ago, UltraAlt said:

you can look on the server page https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/ and see the population broken down at any given time (oh, the number difference in the totals .. that would be the Praetorians that don't get their own column listing).

I said alignment, not side.  They are different.  A vigilante and a hero are both blue-siders but they are different alignments.  What I am curious to know is what percentage plays Vigilantes/Rogues vs. Heroes/Villains.   It matters because I think most of the "players don't like being villains" is nonsense.  Players just don't care that much about the story, for the most part.  They play where the content is and it's simply more convenient to base yourself blueside than redside, even with the alignments that allow crossing over.  You still run into annoying cross-teaming issues.   Not insurmountable.  Just annoying.

It might help a little if those last barriers were dropped and you could just make a team of any eight people no matter where they are.  If they can gather in one zone they can work together.  If not, some have to drop.  You work it out.  But there's no need to prevent people joining or kick people for the zone they are in.  The content the team runs will sort all that out eventually.

It won't ever bring the two sides to parity in population though and that's just the way it is.  Only the same level of content on both sides would do that... and that ship sailed long ago.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mezmera said:

kind of like the SBB

I would definitely like to see more Summer Blockbuster type content.

20 hours ago, MTeague said:

probably better as a totally new type of event though

could add as a side mission type inside of PVP zones.

Villains get the options to rob a bank or what not. If they do the alarm goes off and heroes get to respond. Could door lock it to only allow an equal number of heros to enter to match the number of villain in the mission.

.... of course, once villains are outside and trying to get to the getaway point ....

3 hours ago, Seed22 said:

I mean if we're going to make erroneously incorrect generalizations I want in!

Feel free.

I'm not going to accuse you of something simply because you make ungrounded attacks against me or try to insult me.

Villains going to villian.

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

No flaw in thinking. I play on all the servers. I play heroes mostly, but have like 5-8 Rogues (which mostly end up playing heroe side when I do run them).

I know I'm in the minority.

The majority seem to be those that run one MAIN character possibly with some alts.

Fewer are those that really alt out and don't really have a MAIN character, but do have a MAIN server.

I'd like to know the source of your data to back up this claim, because without such data, these are just assumptions.  I may be mistaken, but to my knowledge, the HC devs have not published these statistics, and I'm not aware of any other means of obtaining these numbers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ZemX said:

For me, I have to not think about Vigilante because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense you'd go redside and run villain missions with other villains if you were just a hero that goes to extremes to bring villains to justice.

Depends on the mission.  A lot of redside missions have you going up against villain groups, so teaming with villains to take them down is just going to another extreme.   It does start to make less sense when you join villains on stuff like the RSF though.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, UltraAlt said:

I would definitely like to see more Summer Blockbuster type content.

could add as a side mission type inside of PVP zones.

Villains get the options to rob a bank or what not. If they do the alarm goes off and heroes get to respond. Could door lock it to only allow an equal number of heros to enter to match the number of villain in the mission.

.... of course, once villains are outside and trying to get to the getaway point ....

Feel free.

I'm not going to accuse you of something simply because you make ungrounded attacks against me or try to insult me.

Villains going to villian.

Fully grounded and not attacks. Being sensitive won't help ya here pal. Look, like I said and others have called you out for: you start spewing BS, expect it to come around. And also thanks for the complement! Villains are pretty cool! Rogues are better and vigilantes...eh whatever I guess. But seriously as a PSA to everyone: Rogues are cool. We need more rogues. Plus the tips don't frame you as a buffoon or a rube, like they unfortunately do for the Heroes.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, ZemX said:

It matters because I think most of the "players don't like being villains" is nonsense. 

It isn't.

The numbers are there. They have been there historically.

You are refusing to accept the truth.

On 5/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, Blackbird71 said:

I'd like to know the source of your data to back up this claim, because without such data, these are just assumptions.  I may be mistaken, but to my knowledge, the HC devs have not published these statistics, and I'm not aware of any other means of obtaining these numbers.

General behaviour in-game and interaction with other players.

I don't have any documentation to back-up numbers that pick a Main character, Mainly Main (farm for their main or sometimes switch up), Character Alt/Server Main, or Server/Charter Alt. I didn't say that I did - see below.

When my current poll is over, maybe I will poll on this next or you can set-up a poll for it.

If the DEVs want to step in on it, that's great.

But from my experiences, it pans out that way.

On 5/25/2021 at 1:16 PM, UltraAlt said:

The majority seem to be those ....

"...seem to be..."

If you have different experiences that's great. Post your experience and don't simply attack others - unless of course that is your thing. That appears to be some people's go-to in forums in general. 

Bribe. The. Players. 

Bribe them. 

They'll flip red in a heartbeat. 

Red ONLY enhancements!

RED force locked open world pvp. We're all souls like over here. 

20210526_111516.thumb.jpg.c8649c2646bb0182742648b81450adcd.jpg

But rly.... Bribe them with an xp boost... Inf... Super p2w powers... Ya, make p2w only work for red.... Anything. 

The mobs are better, the music's better, it's dark and gloomy better. Red is better. 

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

If you have different experiences that's great. Post your experience and don't simply attack others - unless of course that is your thing. That appears to be some people's go-to in forums in general. 

I don't attack people, but I attack data, or the lack of data, or unsubstantiated or unverifiable claims of knowledge.  A good reminder for all is the maxim "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data,'" and representing it as such does a disservice to any honest discussion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/24/2021 at 10:09 AM, Glacier Peak said:

Sounds like segregation to me. 

11 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It isn't.

The numbers are there. They have been there historically.

You are refusing to accept the truth.

The numbers tell you there are fewer villains.  They don't tell you why.  I am not disputing there are fewer villains.  I am disputing the notion that it's because people don't like playing the bad guy.  i.e. It's the villainy.  The aesthetic of playing the role of a villain.

If this is what you believe then it's you refusing to accept that this is nothing more than a correlation.  Villains are bad.  There are fewer villains.  People must not like playing bad guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1