Any stream overlay artists? (Paying!)

Oof.  Be careful with this.  

Any real money transactions related to Homecoming are strictly forbidden, so you may want to adjust your message slightly to ensure you're not going to potentially be misinterpreted as being in breach of that rule.

Additionally, you may want to request this thread be moved to the Arts and Multimedia board.  You may find more traction there.

Good luck.

• Like 1

No, that's not the rule.
The rule is about making certain that nothing is posted or stated on these forums which may be considered a breach of copyright law in regard to the potential profiting from the existence of these servers while these servers are purportedly operating a bootleg copy of a corporate entity's protected intellectual property.

While an artist making an overlay for a stream channel and being compensated for their work is entirely fine, posting about that theoretical transaction in a space such as this one with language that could be interpreted as using these forums as a marketplace of paid-for services puts the operation at potential risk.

At least from my understanding of the situation.  Disclosure:  I am not a lawyer.  I've just worked in an industry that is notoriously litigious.

Just trying to give you a helpful word of caution before someone more strict feels inclined to address a possible breach.

• Like 1

@CrankyOldMage: I'm just going to go on record here saying that based on the text in the OP I don't think there's anything wrong with the ask, depending on what goes into the overlay. And as you can see in the post about the music videos, it's all dependent on what's being done.

But there's also the Art & Multimedia section that might let you see existing work, and there's even an existing commission thread in that section that, as @TemporalVileTerror said in their first reply, may get you better results. If nothing else, you can look through the section and see if you can find someone whose style you like, and contact them directly.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess it would depend on if it could be viewed as the hired artist profiting monetarily from CoX.  It does seem like a bit of a 'stretch' to me but maybe one of the HC folks can pop in here and clear this up a little.  It doesn't sound to me like what you want to do is wrong in any way - in fact it sounds neat.  I'm just not sure what the mindset of the NCSoft people is and the HC team might be able to elaborate.  It's possible they may not have even given such a scenario much thought but now that it's come up clarification would be good.  Just my take on it.  So, is this sort of the same as paying the server folks or is it a potential way for people to start making money off of something that (at least for now) has to remain non-profit?

• Thumbs Up 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

I'm going to second the "Check art and multimedia section." I don't know if anyone down there does overlays like you're talking about or not, but that'd be the place to ask.

I think "legally" (not a lawyer, etc.) about the only thing anyone might trip over is if there's any NC "property" as part of the overlay, or anything regarding Homecoming. I don't stream, either :) but if you're describing what I'm thinking of, most tend to be layout, placement and color? *shrug*

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

14 hours ago, Prestidigitator said:

I'm going to use the opportunity to be a crankyoldman and just say that if you're using the game that I love playing on the QT to pad your ego &/or wallet then you can just take a gtfo ticket and wait in line just over there.

I earn no money streaming. I do it for fun. Maybe have all the facts before acting a dick. 

On 5/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, CrankyOldMage said:

Since we can stream this game now, I'm wondering if there are any overlay artists available for a commission? 

Not disregarding the possibility this post might be more successful in another forum, I was curious what exactly you were needing?

Over the long weekend I began tinkering with streaming, having never done it before. I've been using OBS studio for a while anyway to create various videos, and found a lot of instructional videos on Youtube on how to create various overlays. If you aren't already committed to another software for that, maybe check that out. I figured out yesterday how to dock all the twitch stuff inside OBS, making it even easier to use for that.

The other thing I will say is that after searching around twitch a lot this weekend I found that a lot of streamers, and most COH streamers, use a pretty simple layout of having the game running full screen with a small cutout for their camera view. Maybe you've got something more complicated in mind, but I guess I'm saying it doesn't take much to get started.

27 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Not disregarding the possibility this post might be more successful in another forum, I was curious what exactly you were needing?

Over the long weekend I began tinkering with streaming, having never done it before. I've been using OBS studio for a while anyway to create various videos, and found a lot of instructional videos on Youtube on how to create various overlays. If you aren't already committed to another software for that, maybe check that out. I figured out yesterday how to dock all the twitch stuff inside OBS, making it even easier to use for that.

The other thing I will say is that after searching around twitch a lot this weekend I found that a lot of streamers, and most COH streamers, use a pretty simple layout of having the game running full screen with a small cutout for their camera view. Maybe you've got something more complicated in mind, but I guess I'm saying it doesn't take much to get started.

Just looking for something to frame out the cam box, have my name across the top. Wasn't thinking anything complicated. I know it doesn't take much to get started, I've done this before. 

I'm so confused on how such a simple request has become so difficult. 

33 minutes ago, CrankyOldMage said:

I'm so confused on how such a simple request has become so difficult. 

I understand. Sometimes it can feel like asking what time it is, and people are telling you how the clock works.

Like I say, I just started streaming and you can see what I did here. This is a scene in OBS studio. The very bottom layer is actually a slide I created in Google Drive (Slides). I put the game on top of that, then my video and the HC image on top of that. It sounds like a similar setup to what you are wanting, and it didn't require any artwork to be created.

I *think* there is a way to export a scene from OBS studio, so I could create something like this for you and send it to you. But I bet you'd still have to make adjustments to work with your camera, etc. Maybe start with a Google Slide first to sort of layout what you want, and then build on top of that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I understand. Sometimes it can feel like asking what time it is, and people are telling you how the clock works.

Like I say, I just started streaming and you can see what I did here. This is a scene in OBS studio. The very bottom layer is actually a slide I created in Google Drive (Slides). I put the game on top of that, then my video and the HC image on top of that. It sounds like a similar setup to what you are wanting, and it didn't require any artwork to be created.

I *think* there is a way to export a scene from OBS studio, so I could create something like this for you and send it to you. But I bet you'd still have to make adjustments to work with your camera, etc. Maybe start with a Google Slide first to sort of layout what you want, and then build on top of that?

Thank you. That's been the most helpful response. I'll play around in Slides and see what I can do. 

• Like 1

• Lead Game Master
On 5/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, CrankyOldMage said:

If paying an artist for their work is a breach of the rules then the rule is stupid. 

The code of conduct states there can be no transacting real money for any sort of services on Homecoming venues. Locking the topic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1