Iron man/Woman Challenge

Chainz

Blaster's Log, 2106.08 - levels 18-20

Faultline fun!  Ran Jim Temblor and Penelope Yin arcs in Faultline for nostalgia's sake.  It's been awhile since I ran those, way back in retail live.  I got to rescue Fusionette, and teamed with her and Arbiter Sands, of all people.  Then I had to rescue Penny's dad: I fully expected to buy it in the last mission.  Oddly enough, it was kind of a let down: it was a lot easier than I remembered.  Almost died a couple of times tonight (I really hate The Lost Anathema), but not in that mission.  Phew!

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

How can you tell a character has died?  I could be a liar!

Mediporter logs. Lord Recluse does not favour the weak. It would be better to turn yourself in and accept your fate. 

• Haha 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

The Community Information Terminals let you see how much XP debt you've accumulated - I guess a screenshot of that?

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

3 hours ago, Gulbasaur said:

The Community Information Terminals let you see how much XP debt you've accumulated - I guess a screenshot of that?

I imagine you'll also have a debt badge progress bar in the badge window somewhere, no?

ETA: Now I think of it, there are situations you don't earn debt for a death aren't there?  I noticed this by chance when I didn't recognize an icon in my buff bar.  Clicking on it, it said "100 debt protection during this event".  I think I was near a zone event location in Praetoria.  Also you have debt protection in the first 10 levels, right?

Edited by ZemX

Radiant Cascade update #1:

Reached level 15. I'm concentrating on the hero story arcs and badge missions. I've finally been able to afford a full set of DOs, so things are going good. I still have several story arcs from the lower teens to finish up,

Pools of Mercury has reached level 21 in Praetoria.  Put in some low bids for level 25 IOs since that should save information in the long run.

Did Loyalist Power until Neutropolis where I did Responsibility and was weirded out by Mother that I went resistance, then did the Warden arc.  Still informed Marchand of stuff, but since he's as disgusted with Berry, etc... I can go with that.   Just wish the later arcs in First, Night Ward, and Primal that have the Praetorians would acknowledge the Praetorians characters instead of  treating them as new to them.   Should be feasible to do this without too much effort.  I think the one that bugs me the most is Reese in Number 6's arc. 

So now before leaving Praetoria, I think I'll run around and get all the exploration badges and plaques.  May have to make a second build with some flight capability though.  I think I can do the top of the building in Nova, but getting to the top of the reactor in Neutropolis seemed more problematic.

5 minutes ago, lemming said:

So now before leaving Praetoria, I think I'll run around and get all the exploration badges and plaques.  May have to make a second build with some flight capability though.  I think I can do the top of the building in Nova, but getting to the top of the reactor in Neutropolis seemed more problematic.

Challenge accepted!

• Like 1

Agent V Update - 6/8/21

I finished up the The Vahzilok Pollutant Plot & The Clockwork Captive story arcs and leveled to Level 15. After completing both arcs, I traveled to Faultline, where I started up the first Faultline story arc. After a close call with Kurse (he kept targeting me instead of Arbiter Sands), I was able to complete the rest of the arc with little issue, gaining a level in the process. I then went ahead and completed Penelope Yin's story arc and got access to Mr. Yin's shop, where I was able to finally buy some accuracy and damage SOs for a few powers that I was not able to get from the marketplace.

After running a few missions, I was able to start up both the three original story arcs for this level range (The Mind of a King, Tsoo Shenanigans, & The Vahzilok Plague), as well as Graham Easton's arc. After a few missions, I spent the rest of the evening crafting IOs, getting each of the first two sets of badges. I also was able to craft a few set IOs and was to flip them for more money on the AH. By the time that I finished, I have leveled up to Level 18 and picked up the snipe for BR.

1 hour ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

Right so deaths before level 11 dont count?  Or honor system?

It's all honor system.  There's no prize or punishment for this: it's just something we're doing for bragging rights and a sense of accomplishment.  If you feel like you have to lie about deaths, then you're only cheating yourself.

IM Blaster 1 has died once due to "Lost Connection to Mapserver" while in a mission, surrounded by enemies.  When I got back online, I was laying face down outside the mission door.  I asked @Chainz (Mirujai) if I had to delete and start over because of that.  He said no, that doesn't count because it was completely beyond my control. 

So technically, my character has died once.  I haven't mentioned it before because LCM deaths are allowed (and I presume not encouraged).  If I look at anything in game that reports defeats, it's going to show that death, even though it doesn't really count.

• Like 1

@Rathstar

7 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

IM Blaster 1 has died once due to "Lost Connection to Mapserver" while in a mission, surrounded by enemies.  When I got back online, I was laying face down outside the mission door.  I asked @Chainz (Mirujai) if I had to delete and start over because of that.  He said no, that doesn't count because it was completely beyond my control. 

Yeah... mapserver errors, powercuts, floods, random acts of sasquatch... anything totally out of your control and not related to gameplay doesn't count. 

Cold Iron Ninja hit level 18 in Neutropolis last night after finally finishing Imperial City's Responsibility and Crusader arcs on No XP, which took seemingly forever.

And level 18's Ice Patch came not a moment too soon, because I then had Neutropolis's "Battle at Junction 221" Crusader mission with waves of Loyalist clockwork, PPD, and T.E.S.T.  coming at me through the sewer.  Iced a doorway chokepoint and they didn't stand a chance.  The end of those waves came piled one on top of the other so it's a good thing they spent most of the time flopping around on the patch or stuck on the other side of the doorway.

Vanessa Devore was a bit a challenge in Mother Mayhem's arc since Assassinating her doesn't finish her off but just causes her to spawn decoys with herself, back to full health, hidden among them.  All orange bosses (though most one-hittable except for the real Devore)... they still hurt well enough when they landed hits.  Again, hiding behind a pillar to pull them together onto an Ice Patch helped immensely.  Still ate half my tray to stay out of the danger zone. 

I know I'm going to regret going defense instead of resistance at some point.  It's fabulous... once you're nearly level 50 and soft-capped with some resistance bonuses and Tough backing it up.  In the meantime it can be dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge.... dead if you run into someone that hits hard enough.

Blaster's Log, 2106.10 - levels 20-21

While I was still in Faultline, I paid a visit to Doc Delilah and ran missions for her.  Picture below, here we are bathing in the afterglow of defeating Captain Castillo.  After my play date with the good Doc, she introduced me to Agent G, who had me infiltrate Arachnos and the Sky Raiders as they battle for control of southern Faultline.  I earned Entrusted with the Secret for defeating Arbiter Sands, along the Aftershock badge for finishing all of the arcs in Faultline.  But I didn't quite make it to level 22: I still have about 2.5 bubbles to go.  It was a long night, so I'm going to bed.

image.png.a7bfdb1a0aa4b1b5d8026bfd6935cda4.png

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Agent V Update - 6/10/21

After taking a break from playing yesterday, I logged in and began to buy some much needed IOs for V. I was able to get  both the Performance Shifter End Mod & the proc after some converter roulette. I was also able to get a few PVP IOs after buying a few of the Gladiator's Strike IOs and converting them. After selling a few IOs that I converted for extra cash, I resumed my missions by completing the last mission in the Tsoo Shenanigans story arc. I completed Graham Easton's arc and continued both the The Vahzilok Plague and The Mind of a King story arcs, which helped me level up to Level 20 and Field Operative.

After leveling up, I started on Doc Delilah's story arc as well as the first story arc of Mercedes Sheldon. After completing Doc Delilah's story arc, I continued with Agent G's arc. An hour or so later, I had completed Agent G's arc and destroyed the PsychoChronoMetron (with the help of Penelope Yin). I then continued Mercedes story arc and recovered the Dirge of Chaos from the Freakshow. I started The Magic Man story arc, as well as the Tsoo Coup. I ended the session at level 22 after starting up a couple of more missions.

screenshot_210611-00-58-09.jpg

Time for an update on Pools of Mercury.

After being disillusioned by Praetoria, she left.

I hadn't done the Marchand transfer for a long time and was surprised to see Reese there saying farewell.  No option to toss him off the barge though.  I also find this to be even more jarring compared to his behaviour in the Number 6 arc later.  I need to put together a dev machine to see if we can add options to that arc at some point. 

Anyway....

Took a couple days to wander around, saved some civilians, helped out this guy about a Midnight Club.  Man this world is a mess y'all.  I know there are other ex-praetorians around, but been doing her own thing.  Mostly following tips on the street and trying to do the more "heroic" thing.  Ran into Maelstorm, but he was working with some Council goofs, didn't seem to recognize me even though we fought just a little while ago.  I don't think that guy's brain is wired right.

Close fight, nearly bought it.  Picked up some supplies from the hospital and they said I should get a mediporter.  No thanks, that's how they can track you.

Game terms, got to 22, bought some 25 IOs off the AH

• Like 1

Agent V Update - Weekend Update

After taking a break Friday, I continued on my quest. I traveled to Striga Isle and took on the first two story arcs there. After completing quite a few defeat-all missions from Stephanie Peebles, I was able to retrieve her ring from Hercules, the Warrior boss that stole it from her and returned it to her. She allowed me to keep it for now, giving me a nice temp power. After helping her out, I went to help out her friend Long Jack who wanted to get revenge on the Council for what they did to him several decades ago. After defeating the doctor that experimented on Long Jack, I was sent to take down Maestro. After a tough fight, due to the tight quarters in the lab, as well as Maestro's sonic attacks, I was able to defeat him and help close a tough chapter of Long Jack's past.

After completing those two arcs, I continued on The Magic Man story arc and defeated Mickey 'The Magic Man' Maloney, a Family boss who thought that he could alter time to avoid his fate. Doesn't he realize that messing with time travel is dangerous? After helping recover the Devil's Timepiece from Maloney, Mercedes sent me after the Warriors to retrieve the Crown of Glory, another family artifact. After taking down some of the leaders of the Warriors in a cave with very tight spaces (thanks Smoke Grenades for blinding the various mobs in those spaces), I entered a ship where Hector, a Warrior boss who defected from the group, had taken the crown. After taking down ambush after ambush, I was able to take down Hector, defeat every boss that attempted to kill me for the crown, and escape the ship without dying. 

After helping Mercedes, I began finishing up the other story arcs that I had started on. After completing every one, I ended up a little bit shy of Level 26. I also began to play with the market, flipping bought IOs and selling things like LotG and other valuable IOs. I then was able to buy a few booster packs, where I got a few ATOs which I then converted to the Blaster sets. 

• 2 weeks later

It's great to see the updates on those who are not necessarily on the same server as the majority of us. I love reading the updates, keep 'em coming!

I am currently on #6 - LOL with the current limits on the ATs, that leaves me with only 5 more ones that I would want to try. So just for fun, I thought I would give you all an update on my characters that died and if you wanna see their deaths, feel free to check the links out. LOL (and pardon my language in some of them).

The first character I made was a DP/Ninjitsu Blaster, he was killed to a Goldbricker: Zephyrs Hired Lackey. At least, this was totally unexpected and I really made myself laugh at how I reacted to his death.

My second character was a Widow, she really should have just left the bank when she had the chance. Instead, I got cocky and tried to just back off. Yeah DoT will get ya every time.

My third character was probably my favourite at that point, an Energy Melee/Regen Stalker. I should have never upped the difficulty. AND with respites in my tray!!!!

My fourth character was a Defender, Trick Arrow/Fire Blast and I really was enjoying her. Of course like a dummy, I didn't bring the inspirations I needed and again was cocky. Sigh... at least I died to myself... I was "kicking my ass, do ya mind". LOL

And finally, my fifth character who I thought was just a silly joke but I was enjoying it, a MM - Demon Summoning/Dark Miasma. Someone suggested I only take the T3 pet, so of course, I went with it. It was doing well and I even faired very nicely against an Elite Boss (Veles) early that night. But alas, I was distracted in answering some questions and died to my own stupidity and DoT. LOL! Take a look.

So where am I at now?

I'm on my 6th character... a Corruptor, Assault Rifle/Storm Summoning. I have high hopes! I really do. Will he survive? Have I learned enough from my previous mistakes? Time will tell and I'll post another update after the next few deaths. Hope you enjoyed it and again, I apologize for the cursing in the video. It just happens ya know. 😄

• Like 1

@Tax E
** THE UNITED POWERS OF PARAGON **

Blaster's Log 2107.04 - levels 21-22.

IM Blaster 1 is dead at level 22.  He was ambushed by Chaos Spirits at the end of "Stop Amanda Gates!".

image.thumb.png.a0275b6247a6a042908a74e131f3a338.png

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Sad 2

@Rathstar

Radiant Cascade on Reunion (Energy/Energy Blaster) is up to 23 now, and no, she's not going to do that Dirge of Chaos arc. Too risky. Sometimes I get through that last fight easily, sometimes I get stomped by the ambushes.

My thoughts on how I would approach Iron rules for the AH:

1.  No selling on the /AH.  Vendors only.  Unfortunately that means only 5k for a rare.

2.  No buying on the /AH unless it is a seeded item, then pay the seeded price.  10k for common salvage, 100k for uncommon, 1mm for rare, 10mm for Hero packs, 25mm for Winter Packs.  Buy whatever you want from vendors.

3.  Anything else goes, including merit vendors, pvp vendors, etc.

This feels sufficient to stay decently equipped in SOs, you should be able to accumulate lots of merits (and therefore converters) so you can strategically add crafted IOs based on drops if you get lucky.  

This is pretty strict, but I’m also the kind of person who accumulates 100mm on an new alt in an hour, so an unrestricted budget would probably make things too easy.

Am I right in assuming people are running +0/x1, bosses, no AV?

Who run Bartertown?

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Am I right in assuming people are running +0/x1, bosses, no AV?

I've never changed the difficulty setting in all my years of playing CoH, and I don't intend to.

For this challenge, I'm not using the AH at all, but that's just me. I made my own solo super group just so I can conveniently craft IOs and store salvage.

9 hours ago, huang3721 said:

I wonder, do you guys read the wiki before jumping into the mission? Let's say, checking for the ambushes, memorizing the objectives or checking if one of the missions in the story arc is "that one level"?

I don't really need to. I've done the missions enough times that I remember the problematic spots.