Iron man/Woman Challenge

Chainz

I believe it's also a bit of 'equal playing field'.  Much less risk of getting on a team full of "Leroy's" or a team tackling a mission at a much higher setting than they ought to be and getting dead that way.  Though to a large degree the exact rules are up to you.  It's all on the honor system in any case.  Just note any of your own rules or how you elected to play a given rule.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, Ukase said:

I think I now have to demote my playing ability from better than average to slightly better than mediocre. And all I needed for the kistmet accuracy that had dropped was one lousy uncommon salvage! 

What are the rules with merits?  Could you not buy anything available at the merit vendor with acceptably earned merits?  I know it only applies to rare salvage, not the uncommon you needed in this case, but are recipes and salvage fair game?

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Also even if not picking a Brute or Tank with a little planning the content can be trivial.  Pick an enemy group to focus on and take a Corruptor that works well against that group.   Dark Dark is insane against most normal mobs.  To hit debuffs are real.  The heals are insane.  Armor? Kill everything and heal off their dying bodies as you go

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I never got a clear answer on how/if the AH could be used.   Like we can buy there but not sell there?  Or we can do anything there?

And what about Architect tickets?  Can you farm for components, as well?

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

34 minutes ago, PLVRIZR said:

Exactly.  If you turn off experience and solo repeatable content you are safe in,with patience, you will have an “i/o edge” in all future  content you run.  Just take some time up front to improve your odds on the back end

2 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Rules are probably going to vary from player to player. 
For me, I had initially planned to use AE for tickets, and the merit vendor, as that would allow me to avoid the AH altogether. But someone suggested it would be too easy to do that, and to a point, they were right. If you can use AE, there are some simple level 1 AE maps that any AT can do, and easily to get the tickets required, to gain the salvage required. 

Now, it certainly isn't "cheating" to do that. It's not like you're sitting in a farm. You're solo, and doing the work, and using your own knowledge of the game and the various methods to get what you want. But for me, the "drop challenges" I've done have been the ONLY way I can get excited about something as simple as a common IO recipe drop. 

But, the one takeaway I had was that end mod enhancements, and the common invention recipes for them just don't drop very often at all. I want to say the wiki said a one out of 75 chance of dropping. I don't know what the %'s are, but I firmly believe very rare recipes are more common than end mod common invention recipes, or at least on par. And if I'm wrong, my perception bias must be making things far more opaque than I think. 

Great stuff.  I don't stream, so it's my own personal challenge, but my Dark/Kin Corr is level 4 and rolling 😆.  Never done a "delete on death" character and it certainly adds entertainment value (read:  adrenaline rushes)!

On 11/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, PLVRIZR said:

Great stuff.  I don't stream, so it's my own personal challenge, but my Dark/Kin Corr is level 4 and rolling 😆.  Never done a "delete on death" character and it certainly adds entertainment value (read:  adrenaline rushes)!

Very much!  Beware the early 20's.  You start to feel a bit comfortable gaining enough powers and slots just as the foes start to hit a bit harder, use more mez and woops there goes that try.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 4:58 PM, PLVRIZR said:

What are the rules with merits?  Could you not buy anything available at the merit vendor with acceptably earned merits?  I know it only applies to rare salvage, not the uncommon you needed in this case, but are recipes and salvage fair game?

You can use merits however you want. You can use the AH absolutely. The point was to avoid the AE building because you weren't supposed to farm anything. But as said by many already, it'll vary from person to person. You don't have to stream it. When Chainz (Mijurai from Twitch) made up the rules (yeah he'll blame me too for some of them since we discussed it a lot), we turned off email so we didn't accept anything from anyone. Turned off gifts from anyone. Whatever dropped from you earning you used. If you could earn merits and buy recipes and utilize the AH, then by all means do so.

Any kind of "farming" was avoided. But it's all how you wanna challenge yourself.

@Tax E
** THE UNITED POWERS OF PARAGON **

Welp, into try #2.  Dark/Kin wasn't the right combo.  Thought Siphon Power and the dark blast debuffs would be enough.  It was...until lvl 8 and the KR bank mish.  Rolled a Dark/Rad Corr and have coasted to lvl 10.  Same three attacks (including the snipe), but having a PBAOE heal, instead of Transfusion, and the massive debuff of Radiation Infection has proved to be the difference.