JFC: Warning, Server Drama Ahead

Judasace

Something that always seems to get lost in these discussions of "official" events is that the vast majority of players are not on the forums, have no idea when scheduled events take place, and are happy that way. 

I wasn't there for the drama described, but I would hope that it is exaggerated.  For someone leading anything to "ban" players from their raid because they joined an earlier one is . . .  insane.  And rude.  And unnecessary. 

I do sort of agree that the original organizer should have just said, "oh cool, I'll join that one in 30 mins then!"  But I am also sympathetic to the fact that nothing requiring a team, much less a league, is filled up quickly..  There's always a lag time where everyone is just waiting, so why not merge the league started 30 mins early with the later one?  The "official" raid seems to be the reason, and that's no reason at all.  That's ego getting in the way of the heroic, friendly behavior that does mark this server, and this game more broadly. 

I think that's why I am more upset with the reported (again, I wasn't there, so am only going by the OP) behavior of the vets on the "official" team than by the uninformed player who is probably not on the forums and doesn't know there are player-scheduled (but in no way at all "official") events.  Banning people from joining because someone's ego is bruised is not a good look.  We need to do better. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I expect Excelsior natives/patriots to be defensive.

So far there are are only two of you being defensive. 

I think that there are plenty on Excelsior know that I'm saying is correct or they would be chiming in. They aren't.

I think the issue here is your definition of "bad behavior". 

You make a lot of statements, and it took me about 4 pages to cover all of them. And, I looked it over, and deemed it a bit too harsh. 
In a nutshell, I have seen rude behavior on every server. I have also seen generosity, civility, humor on all the servers as well. 

If you see more rudeness on Excelsior, I would suggest that's because you see more people on Excelsior. 

Truth is - if you look for a problem, you will find it. So, yeah, I think there's some perception bias on your part. And you owe Jits an apology. Clearly, you don't know him. He's a great player, but not only that, he's generous with his time. If you need help with a badge, if he has the time, he'll help. 

You may all genuflect now for I have spared you pages of nonsense! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I expect Excelsior natives/patriots to be defensive.

So far there are are only two of you being defensive. 

I think that there are plenty on Excelsior know that I'm saying is correct or they would be chiming in. They aren't.

"People aren't arguing against my point, therefore I am right" 

Yeah, that's not how that works.

Every last thing you listed, happens on every server, on every game in existence.  You are either oblivious to it, or for some reason hate Excelsior so much that you make mental notes (or actual notes, not sure just how anal you really are) about it.

Ever thought about not logging onto that particular server?  

There are far more players on Excelsior than any other server, therefore it you will experience more of what bothers you - it only makes sense.

Now, I'm giving you exactly 7 minutes to tell me I'm wrong - If you don't, that means I am 100% correct.

Edited by Ghost
  • Haha 2

So... what exactly is the point of these "drama threads?" All that happens is people start arguing about the matter until the mods eventually close the thread due to people on both sides of the argument taking it too far. If all you're going to do is spark controversy over something as simple as a video game event (which might I add that no one has entertained the idea that the person is question started the MSR before the other person started broadcasting their preplanned gathering... meaning by the time he found out about the event in 30 minutes it would've already been too late) then why bother posting about it at all? It would be less of a hassle to either forget about it and move on or talk to a GM/Mod about it in private (screenshot some names if ya need to).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ExoGrimz said:

So... what exactly is the point of these "drama threads?" All that happens is people start arguing about the matter until the mods eventually close the thread due to people on both sides of the argument taking it too far. If all you're going to do is spark controversy over something as simple as a video game event (which might I add that no one has entertained the idea that the person is question started the MSR before the other person started broadcasting their preplanned gathering... meaning by the time he found out about the event in 30 minutes it would've already been too late) then why bother posting about it at all? It would be less of a hassle to either forget about it and move on or talk to a GM/Mod about it in private (screenshot some names if ya need to).

Dammit.

There is no place for common sense on the internet!

• Haha 5

On 6/4/2021 at 10:10 AM, Jitsurei said:

These are some very unkind assumptions you’re making about someone you don’t know at all 

yet  you would do the same to me.

ironic

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Arli said:

you haven't stated which server you play on most

This is true. I try to keep the mask on as much as I can.

It is a superhero thing.

Excelsior isn't the main server that I play on. I think I have played on Excelsior about as much as the 3 others that are not my main server.

I have 20 characters there.

I do team on Excelsior. Most of the game play I do is teaming. I don't solo very much.

I have lead a good number of teams on Excelsior but I have not lead all the teams that I have been a part of.

A majority of my gameplay on Excelsior is task forces.

(I played on the original CoH servers, and was already part of a community that was there - that community chose to make Excelsior their base)

I played from around Episode 2 (I think it was a week or two before Episode 2 dropped) until about a year before the shutdown.

I stopped playing City of Heroes because of the increased amount of microtransactions for subscribers, a change in the attitude of players caused by going F2P, the incarnate system, and some other game play related things (I really hate AE Farming but I don't have to take part - when it comes down to it, they give me their influence)

The people that I gamed with regularly were great.

Homecoming came back and others that I had gamed with pretty much said "come on back, the water's fine" - in my case "there are no microtransactions or goldfarmers"

There are cool people here to be found. I g-friend them, and we hang out when the stars are right.

People have g-friended me on Excelsior, but I haven't g-friended anyone there.

Essentially: I don't see enough evidence to believe what you claim is true, based on my own experiences.

... as stated...

On 6/4/2021 at 8:42 AM, UltraAlt said:

Yep. Our personal experience is all any of of us have.

I'm a data-oriented person; you provide me with data, I'm more inclined to believe you.

You haven't provide me with any data to substantiate your opinion either.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:22 PM, Tahliah said:

Something that always seems to get lost in these discussions of "official" events is that the vast majority of players are not on the forums, have no idea when scheduled events take place, and are happy that way. 

I'm going to go ahead and bait the trolls again (because they like that apparently)

This isn't targeted at the person that I'm replying to, but they have pointed out something that is a very important element in this topic.

The only "official" events are those held by DEVs/GMs. I do not believe they would behave in the manner discussed in the original post.

The other events are player created events. These are not "official". Like the RP and PVP servers - they are "unofficial".

I'm more than welcome to discuss how someone that has a long-standing event feels like they have ownership of whatever it is their event is related to. That is their feeling and opinion on their part.

My opinion - yes OPINION - is that in regards to game forums

only 10-25% of the game population goes to the forums for any reason other than to find the answer to a specific problem or check out the WTF.

only 10-25% of that number will dig to find posts about things that they are interested in but might not have a specific question about (such as guides)

only 10-25% of that number will dig any deeper into the forums

in the case of Homecoming

only 10-25% of that number that dig any deeper into the forums really care much about the calendar event postings or clubs.

Homecoming is on the higher end of the percentages, but, saying that, a large majority of player simply don't know/don't care about the calendar events or clubs,

I haven't played every game that ever came out. I've played some. This seems to be the general behavior.

My opinion can't be wrong. It's my opinion. Just the same as anyone else opinion. People can disagree with it. I can disagree with their opinion.

Our personal experience is all any of us have and that is what our opinions are based on.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, Ghost said:

Every last thing you listed, happens on every server, on every game in existence.

I'm not going to run in circles with you any more.

I said that I saw it happening more on Excelsior than the other servers.

That's the truth from my point of view. It can't be debated.

I don't see large numbers of Excelsior players running to the rescue.
That's true too. The thread isn't that long.

And Excelsior is the most populated server. This too is true.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

yet  you would do the same to me.

ironic

I did not insult you in any way. My point was only ever that what you perceive as “bad behavior” is your personal opinion.  The community is not a homogenous mass with one set of expectations. 

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm not going to run in circles with you any more.

I said that I saw it happening more on Excelsior than the other servers.

That's the truth from my point of view. It can't be debated.

I don't see large numbers of Excelsior players running to the rescue.
That's true too. The thread isn't that long.

And Excelsior is the most populated server. This too is true.

You aren’t seeing a flood of excelsior players because that was never the point of this thread. It was referring to one single incident, not some vilification of the entire server. As you mentioned, not everyone uses the forums anyways. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, Jitsurei said:

Sounds like you just don’t like how some people choose to play. 

On 6/4/2021 at 10:10 AM, Jitsurei said:

These are some very unkind assumptions you’re making about someone you don’t know at all 🙂

And these are not intended as insults?

Am I trying to vilify a server?

If pointing out that the highest population server has a higher chance of producing bad behavior is vilifying the server, then - yes. I am doing that.

Edited by UltraAlt

4 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

And these are not intended as insults?

Am I trying to vilify a server?

If point out that the highest population server has a higher chance of producing bad behavior is vilifying the server, then - yes. I am doing that.

They are not.

And insulting large swaths of the community, not to mention individual players, is not upbuilding for the community. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jitsurei said:

They are not.

And insulting large swaths of the community, not to mention individual players, is not upbuilding for the community. 

Bad behavior is bad behavior.

Good day, sir.

• Thumbs Down 2

9 minutes ago, Jitsurei said:

“My way or the highway” hm. 

This is not a discussion any more. You want an argument.

And once again you are insulting me.

Good day, sir.

Edited by UltraAlt

2 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

This is not a discussion any more. You want an argument.

And once again you are insulting me.

Good day, sir.

I’m neither looking for an argument nor insulting you. But I can’t prevent you from taking it that way, apparently. My only point this entire time has been that there are parts of this community with differing play styles and expectations. I’m not looking for a response here, just clarifying where I was coming from in case it got drowned in there.

• Thanks 1

• Retired Game Master

I think we all have enough drama in our lives, let's try to be more kind and respectful to one another regardless of which shard or game we call home.

Edited by GM Aurarius
fixed a typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 8
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Support page is always accessible should you require assistance or need to check the status of an already submitted ticket.

Consider volunteering as a Community Helper or Game Master || Gerne können Sie auch auf Deutsch mit mir in Kontakt treten, sollte dies für Sie einfacher sein. || GM Aurarius#7840 on Discord.