Questions about RP

Heroestoday1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, Palehood said:

One question; if you bump into other characters you've roleplayed with outside Pocket D, do you need to say hi using the Local chat? I've noticed nobody small-talks outside Pocket D.

"Need" to, no. But I'll say at least on the MSRs there's plenty of IC talk. (And OOC.) Some tied to ongoing plots, others just watercooler chatter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, Palehood said:

One question; if you bump into other characters you've roleplayed with outside Pocket D, do you need to say hi using the Local chat? I've noticed nobody small-talks outside Pocket D.

On 8/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, TwoDee said:

You don't need to say hi, but honestly I wish more people did.  A lot of folks think of Pocket D as "for roleplay" and the rest of the world as "for gameplay"... implicitly, if not explicitly.  One of the coolest moments for me in-game was when I put on the walk toggle and decided my character didn't feel like flying back from a mission in Talos, so I just meandered across the city en route to the metro, and another character flying above touched down to say hi, strike up a conversation, and walk with him.

I've seen that topic come up as a point of contention among different groups.

I'm a big fan of "creating scenes" (and experiencing them).   Any MMO's a rather dead place, no matter how animated the NPC's may be, but roleplayers can bring variety and sponinaety and new experiences to a world that isn't otherwise changing much.   Public local interactions add so much flavor, so I do prefer them over private chat, but know they can cause problems for others.   

3 hours ago, A Cat said:

Not just rp (which I have done very little of being a beginner) but I try to say hi to people I know if I spot them in time. 

And there's no harm to that at all. If anything, we've made a few friends along the way being open and social like this. Isn't that right Cat? 😄

There's no harm in being social on an RP server, in fact, many of us want to see more conversation and chatter, it brings life to the game that it otherwise lacks with the players themselves. 

• Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

1 hour ago, CrystalDragon said:

And there's no harm to that at all. If anything, we've made a few friends along the way being open and social like this. Isn't that right Cat? 😄

There's no harm in being social on an RP server, in fact, many of us want to see more conversation and chatter, it brings life to the game that it otherwise lacks with the players themselves. 

That's right! It's multiplayer for a reason!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:40 PM, Heroestoday1 said:

I suppose these questions seem more like complaints, but I'm genuinely curious. I want to know if I'm looking at RP wrong or if there are like-minded individuals out there.

My RP in THE CITY doesn't tend to go past a detailed bio and sort-of trying to stick with the character conception with power picks and what kinds of enemies a character fights.

Since I tend to run mission teams with friends or run DFB, Task forces, and SBB (when solo - no so much RP interaction in most of these situations other than whatever time is spent standing around during recruiting or between missions.

My main RPG on the level you are talking about was always live and in-person. Yeah, I'm from back-in-the-day when there wasn't an internet, and we met up somewhere to run a role-playing game. People started calling it pencil-and-paper and now they seem to call it table top (not so sure if that means the are more likely to be using miniatures or not). Most of the advanced games we played didn't have figure or maps. It was basically all in our heads. Distances were relative but we still diced the combat and dice-worthy interactions. A lot of talking back-and-forth.

It's for this reason, that I would think Discord would be a big thing in the RPG community, but ... yeah... just don't to that, because being in THE CITY lets me keep my mask on all the time. Discord kind of takes away from the mask.

But good luck, and I hope you find a good group of people to RPG with. It is a lot of fun when it works.

Edited by UltraAlt
taking = talking
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

My experience with tabletop RPG has been extensive.  My experience with online is relatively very new, but I really wanted to experience it.  I am by nature a shy person who becomes very social with people I am comfortable with.  A few months ago, I forced myself to turn on my roleplaying tag and keep it on most of the time, just to show that I'm interested and open to it.  Most of the time if I'm in a strange situation (Pocket D, other places I don't know anyone) I will sit and watch and listen to other people's conversations to pick-up on things I like/don't like [My main RP character also has some degree of (back-storied) social awkwardness] I've also gotten great lessons from people who are very good at it (shout out to Crystal Dragon). I have become much more comfortable with it [and no, I am by no-means an expert, but I'm beginning to better understand what I don't know], and I'm having much more fun in the game than I ever have.

So my advice for people who are new at it, or who want to try is: observe, listen, ask questions.  If you see a good scene, but  don't want to interrupt it, maybe send a tell to one of the participants afterwards telling them that you liked it (people like to be praised) and then ask them if they have any advice to give you.  Most people who RP, if they have time, are willing to help you or at least willing to point you to somebody who can. Also RPers do want more RPers

So again, don't give up, it can be fun and rewarding and definitely worth it.

• Like 6