[Beta] Patch Notes for June 6th, 2021

13 hours ago, JayboH said:

If you are telling me that this game's PvP doesn't use dice rolls for calculating actual combat please give me details

No, that's not what I'm telling you. You stated PvP was "more about getting favorable rolls than actual skills/reflexes." I'm telling you your statement is incorrect. I did not say PvP does not use dice rolls but rather in most cases the outcome of a given encounter relies far less on those dice rolls than it does the skill of the players involved. This can be proven by giving a new PvPer and an experienced PvPer identical builds/characters then having them fight each other and watching the results.

To use your example from a later post (the "blast will follow you around corners" bit) - yes, obviously the dice roll will determine whether that attack will hit you. Player skill will determine whether that dice roll happens in the first place based on things like movement, creative use of map geometry, strategic timing of mez powers, etc.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

5 hours ago, macskull said:

No, that's not what I'm telling you. You stated PvP was "more about getting favorable rolls than actual skills/reflexes." I'm telling you your statement is incorrect. I did not say PvP does not use dice rolls but rather in most cases the outcome of a given encounter relies far less on those dice rolls than it does the skill of the players involved. This can be proven by giving a new PvPer and an experienced PvPer identical builds/characters then having them fight each other and watching the results.

To use your example from a later post (the "blast will follow you around corners" bit) - yes, obviously the dice roll will determine whether that attack will hit you. Player skill will determine whether that dice roll happens in the first place based on things like movement, creative use of map geometry, strategic timing of mez powers, etc.

How often has identical builds fought each other at all, let alone with an experience disparity though?  Enjoy the testing.  I think I will continue to avoid dice-based PvP personally and scratch my PvP itch in the FPS and Fighting genres as some examples instead.  I don't want to influence development where I lack experience.  What I said wasn't 'an almost entirely incorrect assessment' which is what I was responding to, that's all.  🙂

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

• 2 weeks later
On 6/18/2021 at 2:23 AM, JayboH said:

How often has identical builds fought each other at all, let alone with an experience disparity though?  Enjoy the testing.  I think I will continue to avoid dice-based PvP personally and scratch my PvP itch in the FPS and Fighting genres as some examples instead.  I don't want to influence development where I lack experience.  What I said wasn't 'an almost entirely incorrect assessment' which is what I was responding to, that's all.  🙂

I actually prefer fighting games over mmo pvp for many many reasons. It's one of the reasons I haven't stepped into zone pvp since HC came online. If I want to pvp there are better games than COH for it, that have been released since COH live shutdown.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, golstat2003 said:

I actually prefer fighting games over mmo pvp for many many reasons. It's one of the reasons I haven't stepped into zone pvp since HC came online. If I want to pvp there are better games than COH for it, that have been released since COH live shutdown.

Yeah, which is why I'm leaving it to those who actually find this game's pvp interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

• Faultline changed the title to [Beta] Patch Notes for June 6th, 2021
  • Booper locked this topic