Do you play Heroes, villains, or Praetorians?

UltraAlt

Which sides do you play?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which sides do you play?

• I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play heroes, villains, and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes only
    • I play villains only
    • I play Praetorians only
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly heroes
    • I play heroes and villains - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly villains
    • I play villains and Praetorians - but mostly Praetorians

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/21 at 03:59 AM

58 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

My conclusion in general is malicious intent and self-serving interests that injury others (especially intentionally) are a primary clues as to who is a villain.

Conclusion from what? This poll that doesn't ask people what their intent is?

I play all of them, but my favorite morality/alignment to play is Rogue, which I guess is technically Villain, and the one I play the most.  I tend to view it more in D&D terms as more neutrally aligned than evil, though- and tend to play it as such.  

5 hours ago, ZemX said:

Conclusion from what? This poll that doesn't ask people what their intent is?

No, you see, that was his foregone conclusion; he arrived at it before ever making the poll.  The poll was just an attempt to have an opportunity to push that conclusion on everyone else, including the HC devs.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Apparently. we do different conclusions about what defines playing a hero or villain.

The poll that I created is about the game mechanics and not about a wish by some players that the game mechanics don't exist.

My conclusion in general is malicious intent and self-serving interests that injury others (especially intentionally) are a primary clues as to who is a villain.

This is interesting.  And kind of weird.  I have villains, not as many as I had back on live when that was the only way you could even play an MM, but I don't play redside a lot because I don't like it as much as blue.  There are fewer everythings there, and while plenty of people love the writing, etc., I'm kind of meh on it (I like the Goldside writing best, as a whole, then particular arcs on blue and red). 

Anyway, I also hate that navigating redside is such a PITA on a lowbie (though it's better now that you can get fly early), and I just feel more comfortable blueside since that's all there was when I started playing the game.  Part of that is that I never really took the time to learn where everything is, so I'm not as comfortable redside as I am blueside where I know where everything is and how to get there (well, yeah, I still have some troubles in Bricks and Perez Park, hehe).

I've noticed that players who joined when COV launched tend to stick to redside, but I would certainly not recommend judging their personal character for that.  We tend to prefer whatever side we started out playing.  I'm sure there are some players who have started the game with Goldside and prefer it just because it's more familiar and nostalgic to them. 

There are certainly a large number of players (myself included) who like to feel "heroic," but I've not noticed redside players being any less kind and helpful than blueside (or goldside).  In fact, there are more than a few dedicated vills (those who play redside like 90% of the time) that are wonderful human beings and valued fellow players.   And heck, sometimes it's fun to release from a particularly bad day by rolling Malice in Chains and wreaking havoc; then again, I do that on my main hero (blaster), too, so sometimes just bashing baddies (and to vills, goodies are baddies, but so what?) to bash baddies makes me happy.

I guess I just think what side a player plays is more complicated--and more simple--than you do.  Heck, we may both be wrong.  😛

[Edit to add:  I have to admit that I love redside bank mishes way more than blue.  There's something sort of fun about wrecking bus stops, parking meters, and cars.  Stuff you'd never DREAM of doing in RL but that is kind of sneaky good fun in the game.  I pretty much avoid banks blueside, but I jump on every one I see red. So fun!]

Edited by Tahliah
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

See, here's the issue with assuming Blueside = Hero, and Redside = Villain.

Hang around Atlas, near Ms. Lib. Look at who comes around, hanging out waiting for a DFB or leveling after a farm. Some of them have bios that make it clear the character is a villain. Yet they're hanging out Blueside to powerlevel more easily.

Aside that, you have the rarer characters who roleplay as villains among the heroes. The narrative for the missions are changed through RP - rescues are kidnappings. Stopping Skulls/Hellions/Warriors/whoever is kicking upstarts out of your turf or taking something they have that you want. Any missions can be subverted through a clever narrartive.

Then, you have at least three of my characters, who are heroes that are played redside, because in RP, they don't fit over in Paragon. They've taken it upon themselves to protect and defend the innocent of the Etoiles. Kidnappings become rescues. Thefts become retrievals. Some missions become infiltrations. Again, any mission can be subverted by a clever enough player willing to put the effort in to roleplay their own narrative.

Which is why I say, again... Hero? Villain? Darling, I play characters.

Edited by Hexquisite
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hexquisite said:

Then, you have at least three of my characters, who are heroes that are played redside, because in RP, they don't fit over in Paragon. They've taken it upon themselves to protect and defend the innocent of the Etoiles. Kidnappings become rescues. Thefts become retrievals. Some missions become infiltrations. Again, any mission can be subverted by a clever enough player willing to put the effort in to roleplay their own narrative.

This is a very valid point.  While I'm not into backstory, lore, RP, and all that, I do play along with sg-mates who want to found some heroic confab among the villains to . . . well, who knows?  I don't really follow that part, I just get into the fact that our "cell" of heroes amongst vills is Russian or Martian or whatever and focus on the Natasha or Gld'dn costumes.  We have subverted the villains, infiltrated them, and are poised to destroy them. While looking utterly fabulous.  They are dooomed.   And stuff.