Two possible changes for Stalker...

Madae

8 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Once, I was on a team of 8.... Wandered off and took down infernal by myself, with no summons, temps or insps, AV. Rest of the team got the other AV down to half health, I dropped by and helped take her down.

Same team, another mission thread..... We get to Olympus AV. The team is clearing the room, so I sneak over to Mr Limpy, nd take him down to half health, alone, no temps, summons or insps (I never use lore or pets). I never use envenomed daggers. They finally finish the room and make it to me to help out.

@SwitchFadeisn't the only Stalker player that does what he describes, I do much the same thing when helping PUGs with the Maria Jenkins missions, at least for the missions with multiple objectives (Malaise and his poisons comes to mind) or when ATT is down and the rest of the team can't immediately join in the fun (Back Street Brawler, Infernal). I know that players with other AT builds can solo these missions at +4/x8, but my favorite Stalker is pretty much the only character of mine that I can defeat AVs back-to-back in a relatively quick period while also "fighting the clock" of other players grinding through the rest of the map to other objectives. Many of my other builds can hang with AVs, but none can take them down relatively quickly.

8 hours ago, Madae said:

I'd ask you what sets you had equipped, but I have this funny feeling you wouldn't actually tell me the truth, so I suppose I'll just take your word for it. 🙂

My build is a 'spendy' Spines/Bio Stalker, but Inf/Merits are easy to come by.  As for sets: It uses both ATO, 5x of two Very Rare (Armageddon, Apocalypse), 5x of one PVP (Panacea), one 6x Winter (Avalanche), three HO (but these were late additions to the build after a lot of play)  and a smattering of 1-off pieces (Globals, %procs) from PVP and Very Rare sets plus 5x LotG. The ATO and Winter sets have been catalyzed, and I have boosted pieces where possible (where it makes sense to have boosted) with only a marginal eye on the effect of Recharge rates on %proc chances... the only real %proc powers are DNA Siphon and Throw Spines and my slotting choices on those power doesn't have any meaningful pieces capable of boostable recharge to significantly hurt %proc chances.

I don't expect any character of mine to be soloing AVs at +4/x8; this isn't part of the game how I try to challenge myself. I also don't expect leveling characters, or ones that haven't invested in slots and enhancements to be able to to do so... but if I can do these things it should be within reach of other casual players.

My build doesn't have capped defenses (the build includes Shadow Meld, but I only use it when trying to time against certain AV attacks or to mess up their Streakbreaker). The build is survivable because of Ablative Carapace, and I'm somewhat sure that the -Regen from DNA Siphon is what allows me to bring down AVs via attacks. I do try to switch to Defensive Adaptation when going toe-to-toe (solo) with AVs, but it depends on how RNG is treating their punches.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Hero Villain Designer 2.23
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

reshuffle: Level 50 Mutation Stalker
Primary Power Set: Spines
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lunge -- SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprAssMar-Dmg/Rchg:50(3), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(3), SprAssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(5), SprAssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(5), SprAssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up:50(7)
Level 1: Hide -- Ksm-ToHit+:30(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(7)
Level 2: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam:50(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(9), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(11)
Level 4: Boundless Energy -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux:50(A), Pnc-Heal/Rchg:50(11), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg:50(13), Pnc-Heal:50(13), Pnc-Heal/+End:50(15), EndMod-I:50(15)
Level 6: Assassin's Impaler -- SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprStlGl-Dmg/Rchg:50(17), SprStlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(17), SprStlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(19), SprStlGl-Rchg/Hide%:50(19), Hct-Dam%:50(21)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(21), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:50(23), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:50(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx:50(25), GssSynFr--Build%:50(25)
Level 10: Environmental Modification -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(A), ShlWal-Def:50(27), LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(27)
Level 12: Spine Burst -- Arm-Dmg:50(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(29), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(29), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(31), Arm-Dam%:50(31)
Level 14: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 16: Adaptation
Level 18: Impale -- Apc-Dmg:50(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(33), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(33), Apc-Dam%:50(33)
Level 20: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(34), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(36), Prv-Absorb%:50(36)
Level 22: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(A)
Level 24: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:50(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(36)
Level 26: Ripper -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx:50(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc:50(39)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal:50(39), TchoftheN-%Dam:50(40), Erd-%Dam:30(40), Obl-%Dam:50(40), ScrDrv-Dam%:50(42)
Level 30: Weave -- Rct-Def:50(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(42), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:50(42), Rct-Def/Rchg:50(43), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), Rct-ResDam%:50(43)
Level 32: Throw Spines -- HO:Centri(A), HO:Centri(45), PstBls-Dam%:50(45), Empty(45), JvlVll-Dam%:50(46), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(46)
Level 35: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg:50(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx:50(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg:50(48), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng:50(48), StnoftheM-Dam%:50(48), GldJvl-Dam%:40(50)
Level 38: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(50)
Level 41: Shadow Meld -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A), HO:Membr(50)
Level 44: Parasitic Aura -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 49: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A)
Level 1: Assassination
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I:50(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A)
Level 16: Defensive Adaptation
Level 16: Efficient Adaptation
Level 16: Offensive Adaptation
------------

Edited by tidge
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Madae said:

I tend to read a lot about an AT before I jump in with a build, and I've read a lot on what people have to stay about a Stalker, I'm simply not wholly convinced. There are valid points, such as older sets not being as good as newer sets, plugging that gap they've had historically, and other things mentioned in this thread. The thing I find most interesting is that I've had more fun with my Martial Arts Stalker than the others I've tried (and despite being one of the more problematic sets with heavy ST focus). Maybe it's a theme thing, or I feel like their attacks pack more of a punch, which may not even be true if you compare the numbers. I also tend to stray away from builds that I feel might be overused, simply for the fact that I would rather be something more unique, and that definitely tends to put me in a position of being less impressed with the results for sure.

Lately I've been considering making an elec/elec Stalker, since my main is an elec/elec Tanker, and I really enjoy playing that AT, and I think I would be similarly impressed with a Stalker version that may or may not change some opinions I currently have... although, regardless what power set combo I choose, I would still probably gravitate towards thinking that both Assassin's Focus needs to be more consistent (my primary concern) and Assassin's Strike needs to be tweaked to be more attractive (a wishlist), neither of which I think are all that controversial in the end. I've already submitted feedback for Assassin's Focus, because I think that's, more or less, something people can more readily agree to without too much argument. Slow AS... that seems to be a more hotly debated issue.

And, of course, I could just make an elec/SD and teleport bomb big groups of mobs for big damage numbers... I've never quite been a fan of punching with a shield though (not a Captain America theme fan all that much, though I like his character).

I'll also add that my current Stalker is a KM/Bio build, which is ok, but does suffer from some slow animation, and I'm a bit on the fence with how much I like the Concentrated Strike/build up thing. It's the furthest I've gone with slotting a Stalker, and has full sets of both ATO's, among other things, but I'm still undecided on whether or not I enjoy it enough to keep playing it. 

Recently deleted my Stj/SR Stalker, too, I just didn't like the theme or the results, despite what I've read about it being one of the best combos in the late game. This isn't meant to suggest that I think these more popular builds aren't "good" overall, they're just not how I want to play a Stalker, hence the suggestions.

I'm not really a Bio fan, although a lot of people love it.  I did a KM/EA to 50 + incarnates and when compared to my EM/EA the KM/EA was weak.  Somewhat surprised you didn't like the StJ/SR since that character performs very well for me, but if you didn't like the them it is what it is.  What kind of theme do you like?  Maybe we can help with a build...

I am working on a MA stalker that I shelved because it felt weak, same with Ninja Blade, Staff the jury is still out.  The good news is there a lot of combinations, so you will likely find something that aligns with your theme and character background and that always make a character more enjoyable for me.

Stalker are very survivable.  I am finding that Inv, SR, SD, and EA are very strong secondaries.  I was thinking EA was top dog, but I'm starting to lean towards SD because you can soft-cap M, R, and AOE and cap S/L resistance making the character pretty survivable.  Limited heal or endurance management, but can be addressed in the Epic or Incarnates.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sancerre said:

i would tend to doubt someone who flaunts an OP build, but shrouds the build in secrecy... apparently i would need to dig through your post history or find your secret hangout forum goings to learn how to properly win with stalkers.  everybody likes to have a power fantasy of their favorite character being amazing but your accounts in the last bit are absolutely ridiculous.  By level 12 you were at +2 carrying a team??? i dont care what AT and powersets you are playing.  you have no powers of any significant value and no enhancements at level 12.  How exactly could you possibly expect to carry *anything* better than anybody else with nothing of significance available.  Rhetorical by the way, i dont need some recount of you clearing frostfire all the while believing you were carrying your half AFK teammates trying to level up a new alt.

I want to note that by level 12 a Stalker can have the Kismet +Accuracy (really +ToHit) piece slotted in Hide, and that this helps a LOT with early slotting choices at low levels. If you have Build Up at level 8, and leverage the ATO, and have teammates, it really isn't inconceivable to be playing at +2 by level 12 since at that point you can also have global pieces that help with Endurance, Defense and Resistance.

My stalkers could not take large spawns at low levels, but could take on higher level ones. This is while leveling without access to awesome set bonuses. The level 50s who exemplar down do much better, obviously.

26 minutes ago, Lockpick said:

I agree with your point "hidden assassins strike is a strong identity of what a stalker was supposed to be but nobody wants to use".

Welcome to the history of CoH.  People need to stop looking at the original concept of Stalkers like it SHOULD make sense on a team.   Using Placate NEVER made sense, even from the very beginning.  It was never strike-and-fade.  It was always strike-and-scrap.  The only use Placate had back then (and the only use it has now) is defensive.  It's not a "do more damage" button and never was.

The mistake the original devs made with Hidden AS and Placate was the same original mistake they made across all ATs and powersets.  They just never considered the performance impact of animation time in their original design until players SHOWED it to them.  They considered DPS to be a function of damage and recharge time only and didn't get that DPA was king from the get-go.

So please everyone stop appealing to the original design of Stalkers like you're quoting scripture or something.  That style of sneaky assassin gameplay works in one situation only: Soloing.  Hidden AS is FINE for the soloist.   Okay maybe two if we count helping a team stealth missions.  Anybody can solo and anybody can stealth objectives of course, but I mean just the concept of it meshes particularly well with the theme of  a sneaky assassin.

On teams though in most other cases?  Forget about it.  There is boils down to more basics like who does better damage (ST or AoE), who survives better, who has control, buff, debuff, capability, etc.  It's about what you can do in the spawn-to-spawn fighting that is a typical mission.  And there we really are just stealthy scrappers and always have been. 

Deal with it.  People who want to be sneaky assassins should solo.  You can get your fill of that there.  On a team, AS is just a melee-range snipe and even ranged snipes got the quick treatment when nobody used them on teams.

• Like 4

On 6/14/2021 at 10:10 PM, Sancerre said:

i would tend to doubt someone who flaunts an OP build, but shrouds the build in secrecy... apparently i would need to dig through your post history or find your secret hangout forum goings to learn how to properly win with stalkers.  everybody likes to have a power fantasy of their favorite character being amazing but your accounts in the last bit are absolutely ridiculous.  By level 12 you were at +2 carrying a team??? i dont care what AT and powersets you are playing.  you have no powers of any significant value and no enhancements at level 12.  How exactly could you possibly expect to carry *anything* better than anybody else with nothing of significance available.  Rhetorical by the way, i dont need some recount of you clearing frostfire all the while believing you were carrying your half AFK teammates trying to level up a new alt.

anyways this thread has been spinning in circles a lot.  stalkers are not very good at AoE (minus spines and electric) and that is OK.  they arent designed or intended to be great at AoE.  the goal should not be looking to buff their weakness of AoE, but rather enhance their strength of single target... and in the process bring back the feel good of acting like a stalker.  hidden assassins strike is a strong identity of what a stalker was supposed to be but nobody wants to use it because it is absolutely terrible trash.  there are a ton of options that could make hidden assassins strike (and also placate in the process) actually valuable and worth using that would not change the current stalker playstyle (if you wanted to continue ignoring hidden and placate).

also im not sure exactly where the general consensus came about of 'stalkers are OP'... the general consensus i see in game is that melee in general are not preferred aside from a few brutes/tanks... and not specifically for them to deal damage, just to run ahead of the team and herd critters.  if your goal is to blow through the content as fast as possible, you want as many team buffs and massive AoE nukes as possible.  that would make stalker, objectively, the _least_ desired class.  that said, aside from people making specific class comp parties for the challenge of it, i rarely find anybody with an elitist attitude about this kind of thing in game.

The build was up... All builds and guides I have posted, as well as build advice have been permanently removed. Sorry. 😁

Edited by SwitchFade

25 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

The build is up right here in the stalker thread... 😁 With details

People might take you more seriously if you avoided obvious exaggeration like saying you can murder whole spawns before anyone else can "wind up an AoE".  Maybe you've seen this on a team where you ran ahead or something but it takes a few seconds to land a nuke and a common AoE is even faster.  And a team should be bringing multiple AoEs landing simultaneously compared to whatever you're doing.   Come on, man.  Ease up on the propaganda a little.

I'm sure the build is impressive, but DB/EA is not THAT much an outlier.  

Everybody should know you can build just about anything into a monster with the right IO build and incarnate powers.  That doesn't really mean the AT is "fine".  You can build a Sentinel into something that solos +4/x8 ITFs.  Doesn't mean the AT is fine compared to other ATs.  But someone always does try to say that, it seems.

Don't get me wrong.  I also think Stalkers are mostly fine, but they are not gods among other melee ATs either.  You can build just as insane, or better, on a Scrapper or Brute.  They will survive more than you can certainly no matter what you've done in your build.  Sorry, that's just the math of it.  If you see your Stalker wildly outperforming others on pick up teams, it's because your build is better.  Not your AT.   I see this all the time and I wouldn't even say my Stalker builds are entirely as optimized as I'd like yet.   Next time you're on a team just have a look around.  You might be surprised how few set bonuses you see on about half the team on average in the mid to upper levels. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ZemX said:

People might take you more seriously if you avoided obvious exaggeration like saying you can murder whole spawns before anyone else can "wind up an AoE".  Maybe you've seen this on a team where you ran ahead or something but it takes a few seconds to land a nuke and a common AoE is even faster.  And a team should be bringing multiple AoEs landing simultaneously compared to whatever you're doing.   Come on, man.  Ease up on the propaganda a little.

I'm sure the build is impressive, but DB/EA is not THAT much an outlier.  

Everybody should know you can build just about anything into a monster with the right IO build and incarnate powers.  That doesn't really mean the AT is "fine".  You can build a Sentinel into something that solos +4/x8 ITFs.  Doesn't mean the AT is fine compared to other ATs.  But someone always does try to say that, it seems.

Don't get me wrong.  I also think Stalkers are mostly fine, but they are not gods among other melee ATs either.  You can build just as insane, or better, on a Scrapper or Brute.  They will survive more than you can certainly no matter what you've done in your build.  Sorry, that's just the math of it.  If you see your Stalker wildly outperforming others on pick up teams, it's because your build is better.  Not your AT.   I see this all the time and I wouldn't even say my Stalker builds are entirely as optimized as I'd like yet.   Next time you're on a team just have a look around.  You might be surprised how few set bonuses you see on about half the team on average in the mid to upper levels. 

Well spoken...

For someone who hasn't done it or witnessed it.

For those who have, we all already know. 😂🤪

12 hours ago, Madae said:

I'd ask you what sets you had equipped, but I have this funny feeling you wouldn't actually tell me the truth, so I suppose I'll just take your word for it. 🙂

SwitchFade and myself and others have all literally offered to show people things in game so... that kinda works against what you’re implying here doesn’t it.

Oddly enough no one ever takes you up on it. It’s almost like people would rather be right than be helped.

Edited by arcane

30 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Well spoken...

For someone who hasn't done it or witnessed it.

Not even sure which part of my post you're disagreeing with here.   I said I don't believe you can wipe out an entire spawn before someone else can "wind up" an AoE.  If you want to claim you can, nobody has to see that.  You just have to describe the spawn, it's level relative to yours (including incarnate shifts), and which one or two attacks you executed that wiped them all out, because that's all the time you have before someone lands an AoE. i.e. Less than 3 seconds.

Because I wasn't disagreeing that you can do the other stuff.  AVs? GMs? Sure.  But my point is: So can a lot of other ATs with a full IO/Incarnate build.  It tells you nothing about AT balance.  If you really want to see where you stack up against others that know how to min/max, just post your results in the Pylon or Trapdoor or AE801 threads.

3 hours ago, arcane said:

SwitchFade and myself and others have all literally offered to show people things in game so... that kinda works against what you’re implying here doesn’t it.

Oddly enough no one ever takes you up on it. It’s almost like people would rather be right than be helped.

I'm not asking for people to help me in game, I asked him to tell me what sets he had equipped. The point I intended to make has already been mentioned several times in this thread, though; any AT can be awesome at just about any level if you have a dozen sets thrown in it. This isn't a surprise to me, I just find some aspects of the AT questionable, could use some work and offered my suggestions for that.

Edited by Madae

30 minutes ago, Madae said:

I'm not asking for people to help me in game, I asked him to tell me what sets he had equipped. The point I intended to make has already been mentioned several times in this thread, though; any AT can be awesome at just about any level if you have a dozen sets thrown in it. This isn't a surprise to me, I just find some aspects of the AT questionable, could use some work and offered my suggestions for that.

We can quibble about how awesome "sets" can make awesome characters, but as I wrote above: It doesn't take MUCH (in terms of slots) to make an effective low-level (< 20) Stalker. I certainly agree that individual pieces can be expensive in terms of INF, but that cost is all relative to how much time/effort the PLAYER wants to make (see threads on the Marketplace, Farming, and Merit generation). Generally, what I recommend for a low-level stalker:

• Slot the Kismet piece in Hide. You are going to almost always have this toggled on, so save on not worrying so much about extra Accuracy slotting in attacks.
  • Slot Panacea %+HP/Endurance somewhere. Everyone can put it in Health. <- You will need the extra Endurance to keep going.
  • Slot Performance Shifter %+Endurance somewhere. Everyone can put it in Stamina. <- You will need the extra Endurance to keep going.
  • Depending on your secondary, slot Shield Wall +Resistance, Gladiator's Armor +Defense, Steadfast Protection +Defense. Remember you can respec your slots/powers if you make an early compromise for a Global piece that you really want somewhere else (e.g. Hide can take Shield Wall)
  • Take Build Up at level 8. Minimally slot it with Recharge. When you can: slot the Gaussian's %Build Up  in there. (I like all 6 pieces, but you can make do with far fewer.)
  • Put the Assassin's Mark proc in one of your attacks.
  • Put the Stalker's Guile %proc in your Assassin's Strike

Personally, I always take a travel power. I slot it with a Blessing of the Zephyr Knockback Protection piece (if necessary) or a Winter's Gift Slow Resistance (otherwise).

Under level 20, there are Recharge/%Damage IOs available at P2W. Go ahead and get all five. Slot them in your attacks. You probably want some Endurance reduction in your build (non-Hide toggles, certainly) but also attacks. If you feel like you don't have enough of an attack chain at low levels, buy some P2W attacks. While you are at low levels the various boosters are also pretty inexpensive for 8 hours worth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madae said:

I'm not asking for people to help me in game, I asked him to tell me what sets he had equipped. 

This is the thread what has SwitchFade's build: 

Here's an update to date Mids build of it (with minor modifications, he uses CJ/SJ I switched those to Hover/Fly, and I dropped the superiors to normals for leveling slotting, dropped 1 slot from hasten to add a power transfer heal) that I've had saved for one of my upcoming characters

I haven't played this build yet, but it does look pretty monstrous in potential:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Zeta Bunny: Level 50 Mutation Stalker
Primary Power Set: Dual Blades
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Slice -- AssMar-Acc/Dmg(A), AssMar-Dmg/Rchg(3), AssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), AssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), AssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), AssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(7)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23)
Level 2: Ablating Strike -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(7), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(9), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(9), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(11)
Level 4: Kinetic Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(17), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Rct-Def/Rchg(19), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Rct-ResDam%(21)
Level 6: Assassin's Blades -- StlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), StlGl-Dmg/Rchg(11), StlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), StlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), StlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), StlGl-Rchg/Hide%(15)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 10: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(29), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 18: Kinetic Dampening -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(31)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(33), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(34), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ClvBlo-Dmg/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Energy Drain -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(37), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 32: One Thousand Cuts -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 35: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 38: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(42), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(43), Prv-Absorb%(43)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(45), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-Rchg(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 16: Afterburner 
------------

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

42 minutes ago, tidge said:

Generally, what I recommend for a low-level stalker:

So your solution to the problem is no one should be playing Stalker unless they can slot millions worth of influence. Got it. This argument has being going on since practically the start of the thread, and tbqh, it's getting tiring.

Not sure why it's so hard for some of you to accept that the changes I offered in my first post aren't game breaking, and, in fact, cater to a playstyle that none of you really have a say in telling me is the incorrect way of playing Stalker. For all intents and purposes, it has zero affect on how you decide to play, but it would have an affect on how people like me want to play, and they're not mutually exclusive. You can ignore that aspect if you prefer, since no one is forcing you to play that way.

At this point, I'm going to accept the suggestion made by nihilii and change the name of this thread. Too many of you are getting caught up on the negative connotation of the word "buff", and arguing outside the context of the ideas I presented. I'm going to use this as a case study for new users entering this thread and see how the opinion of the topic changes. Maybe we'll be surprised.

Edited by Madae
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Madae changed the title to Two possible changes for Stalker...
32 minutes ago, Oysterhead said:

This is the thread what has SwitchFade's build: 

Here's an update to date Mids build of it (with minor modifications, he uses CJ/SJ I switched those to Hover/Fly, and I dropped the superiors to normals for leveling slotting, dropped 1 slot from hasten to add a power transfer heal) that I've had saved for one of my upcoming characters

I haven't played this build yet, but it does look pretty monstrous in potential:

Reveal hidden contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.6
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Zeta Bunny: Level 50 Mutation Stalker
Primary Power Set: Dual Blades
Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Slice -- AssMar-Acc/Dmg(A), AssMar-Dmg/Rchg(3), AssMar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), AssMar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), AssMar-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), AssMar-Rchg/Rchg Build Up(7)
Level 1: Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23)
Level 2: Ablating Strike -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(7), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End(9), OvrFrc-Dmg/End/Rech(9), OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(11)
Level 4: Kinetic Shield -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(17), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Rct-Def/Rchg(19), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Rct-ResDam%(21)
Level 6: Assassin's Blades -- StlGl-Acc/Dmg(A), StlGl-Dmg/Rchg(11), StlGl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), StlGl-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), StlGl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), StlGl-Rchg/Hide%(15)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 10: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(29), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 16: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 18: Kinetic Dampening -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(31)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(21)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(33), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(33)
Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- Erd-Acc/Rchg(A), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), ClvBlo-Acc/Dmg(34), ClvBlo-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ClvBlo-Dmg/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Energy Drain -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(36), Rct-Def/EndRdx(37), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/Rchg(37), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 32: One Thousand Cuts -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(39), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(39), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Obl-%Dam(40)
Level 35: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 38: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(42), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg(42), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(43), Prv-Absorb%(43)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(45), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(48), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(50), AdjTrg-Rchg(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 16: Afterburner 
------------

I'm sure it's a great build, worthy of being chiseled in stone, but this has little to do with the point I was trying to make in that post. I may try it in the future, though.

53 minutes ago, Madae said:

So your solution to the problem is no one should be playing Stalker unless they can slot millions worth of influence. Got it. This argument has being going on since practically the start of the thread, and tbqh, it's getting tiring.

I never wrote that, straw-ma'am.  I was writing about making a specific AT effective at low levels. Perhaps you are tired because the imagination is working over-time.

From my PoV, most ATs don't come into their own until after level 20, along with more slots and more AT-defining powers.

46 minutes ago, Madae said:

Not sure why it's so hard for some of you to accept that the changes I offered in my first post aren't game breaking, and, in fact, cater to a playstyle that none of you really have a say in telling me is the incorrect way of playing Stalker.

This is overly melodramatic.  When you propose changes to an AT that people think are unnecessary, they will tell you so.  To say you can propose changes and we can't object is ludicrous, because...

48 minutes ago, Madae said:

it has zero affect on how you decide to play

...this is not true.  If you greatly increase the damage AS does from Hide, saying I don't have to use it is like saying I don't have to run around with my armor toggles turned on.  It's technically true.   It's also absurd.

And you're ignoring who else might complain about buffing Stalkers.   I don't know about you, but I have the scars from round 1 of this "buff stalkers" war back on Live and if you weren't there or just didn't frequent those forums much, you might not believe the uproar it caused even hinting Stalkers should do more damage than Scrappers, let alone Blasters.  In the end, I think we got more ST damage than Scrappers, but not by much.  And Scrappers generally do better AoE (but again probably by less than people think).  

The play style you're talking about is still relevant solo, but I AM going to give you my opinion that it's ridiculous to play a sneaky assassin on the edge of the tornado of destruction that is your typical CoH team.  That's not me telling you you're "incorrect" just that I don't think your way of playing should dictate how the AT works for everybody else.  I think that's fair as it's just my opinion against yours. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Madae said:

So your solution to the problem is no one should be playing Stalker unless they can slot millions worth of influence.

<snip>

Not sure why it's so hard for some of you to accept that the changes I offered in my first post aren't game breaking, and, in fact, cater to a playstyle that none of you really have a say in telling me is the incorrect way of playing Stalker. For all intents and purposes, it has zero affect on how you decide to play, but it would have an affect on how people like me want to play, and they're not mutually exclusive. You can ignore that aspect if you prefer, since no one is forcing you to play that way.

I've been mostly avoiding this thread, but here's my thoughts.

I think your original basic suggestion of focus stacks refreshing is a decent enough one, though I honestly don't mind it as it is. I mentally adjusted that +66% additive crit chance is still friggin huge and a-OK to use if Assassin's Strike is off cool down but not yet at 3 stacks. So then, while annoying, occasionally dropping a stack and not critting didn't upset me as much, given how often I felt I gambled and won with a crit at 2 stacks. Could it be smoother? Sure. If we were able to pick fix priority, the chance for a stack rates being examined is what I'd look at. (Ice Melee Frozen Touch i know has a bug report out right now that it doesn't grant 100%, unlike all other attacks with its recharge)

Assassin's Strike doing more damage from Hide is not a change I'd like to see. I vastly prefer the current style of Stalker play, I hated Stalkers when they first released with the hide-strike-placate-strike style. I get you want the option open, but if it becomes numerically superior to keep dropping into hide again to do slow attacks, that's style of gameplay is not remotely appealing. I could ignore it, knowing I am playing how I want, but not playing something to its fullest capacity does not sit well with me either. In Stealth AS is an occasional bonus and I'm fine with it being that.

As for the money thing... and millions of influence of IOs. Well, that seems intimidating at first certainly, but in reality that's a pretty low bar once you have some experience and time in game, and if you've played multiple characters to their 40s, should be very easy to reach. If you haven't done so, really look into how Merits become Influence on the AH. It is playstyle dependent, but if you play through Posi and Synapse TFs, you'll be around level 20 and have 70+ merits, which become 14million influence, and are nearly enough to buy most of what tidge laid out. Hit up the Weekly Strike forces and you accumulate money very quickly, and that's the most passive way. My first stalker ever I was able to buy the two proc ATOs, self funded, by my mid 20s. I now pass them (and a ton more) down to new stalkers. Most people are far richer than they even realize in game, they just haven't taken the time to convert their recipe/merit wealth into influence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

10 minutes ago, tidge said:

I never wrote that, straw-ma'am.  I was writing about making a specific AT effective at low levels. Perhaps you are tired because the imagination is working over-time.

From my PoV, most ATs don't come into their own until after level 20, along with more slots and more AT-defining powers.

That was the implication of your comment, whether you know it or not. Ignorance of the argument going on here is your fault, not mine.

• Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, ZemX said:

This is overly melodramatic.  When you propose changes to an AT that people think are unnecessary, they will tell you so.  To say you can propose changes and we can't object is ludicrous, because...

I never said you couldn't object or offer suggestions. Very few people in this thread are arguing the merit of my suggestions in favor of whining about a generalized buff, or that it just isn't necessary because reason a or b. If you want to argue the playstyle I suggest isn't necessary, fine, but offer up more than a simple disagreement and elaborate like Oysterhead did. You do nothing to change my opinion if you're not going to give me more than "no".

Just now, Madae said:

If you want to argue the playstyle I suggest isn't necessary, fine, but offer up more than a simple disagreement and elaborate like Oysterhead did.

I did and you just totally ignored it.  I said your changes DO impact everyone.  I explained why.  I don't want that.  That's all I NEED to say.  We don't actually have to agree and I don't have to change your mind.  

I'm good actually.

14 minutes ago, Oysterhead said:

I think your original basic suggestion of focus stacks refreshing is a decent enough one, though I honestly don't mind it as it is. I mentally adjusted that +66% additive crit chance is still friggin huge and a-OK to use if Assassin's Strike is off cool down but not yet at 3 stacks. So then, while annoying, occasionally dropping a stack and not critting didn't upset me as much, given how often I felt I gambled and won with a crit at 2 stacks. Could it be smoother? Sure. If we were able to pick fix priority, the chance for a stack rates being examined is what I'd look at. (Ice Melee Frozen Touch i know has a bug report out right now that it doesn't grant 100%, unlike all other attacks with its recharge)

Assassin's Strike doing more damage from Hide is not a change I'd like to see. I vastly prefer the current style of Stalker play, I hated Stalkers when they first released with the hide-strike-placate-strike style. I get you want the option open, but if it becomes numerically superior to keep dropping into hide again to do slow attacks, that's style of gameplay is not remotely appealing. I could ignore it, knowing I am playing how I want, but not playing something to its fullest capacity does not sit well with me either. In Stealth AS is an occasional bonus and I'm fine with it being that.

As for the money thing... and millions of influence of IOs. Well, that seems intimidating at first certainly, but in reality that's a pretty low bar once you have some experience and time in game, and if you've played multiple characters to their 40s, should be very easy to reach. If you haven't done so, really look into how Merits become Influence on the AH. It is playstyle dependent, but if you play through Posi and Synapse TFs, you'll be around level 20 and have 70+ merits, which become 14million influence, and are nearly enough to buy most of what tidge laid out. Hit up the Weekly Strike forces and you accumulate money very quickly, and that's the most passive way. My first stalker ever I was able to buy the two proc ATOs, self funded, by my mid 20s. I now pass them (and a ton more) down to new stalkers. Most people are far richer than they even realize in game, they just haven't taken the time to convert their recipe/merit wealth into influence.

The extra crit chance from stacked focus did actually slip my mind, so I can agree that an adjustment on that could be made. Hidden AS has had a variety of suggestions made for it, I don't know which I would prefer. The bottom line is that I just think it should be more attractive.

3 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I did and you just totally ignored it.  I said your changes DO impact everyone.  I explained why.  I don't want that.  That's all I NEED to say.  We don't actually have to agree and I don't have to change your mind.  

I'm good actually.

I didn't ignore it, I just chose not to comment on it. It was more of a jab at others than you personally.

FYI, I addressed it in my previous post to Oyster.

Edited by Madae
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Madae said:

I didn't ignore it, I just chose not to comment on it.

You said I didn't give a reason when I did.  That I just said "no".  That's not a no-comment.  That's a lie.

And I'm done with you.   It's obvious you were never interested in a good faith discussion but just people agreeing with you.

13 minutes ago, ZemX said:

You said I didn't give a reason when I did.  That I just said "no".  That's not a no-comment.  That's a lie.

And I'm done with you.   It's obvious you were never interested in a good faith discussion but just people agreeing with you.

It could have been worded better. The comment was intended to be a blanket statement on how I'm getting treated here by quite a few people. I tend to edit posts a lot to make sure the point I'm trying to make is getting across correctly. If you took it that way, it was not my intention to place that blame on you. This thread is 6 pages long, I've been "discussing" with people for days now. It's irritating and I'm seriously considering just leaving it where it stands. I generally have zero interest in arguing with people, hence why you appear to believe that I don't actually care about what other people have to say unless they agree, despite the fact that I asked for this discussion in the OP and readily accept disagreement (I simply don't respond to most people, including those that agree), but I've given this thread far more attention than it deserves. I really don't care in the end. I'm not all that invested in the problem, or the longevity of CoH HC, I just want to play Stalker my way and offered up a solution.

Edited by Madae

27 minutes ago, Oysterhead said:

not a stab at you personally but i find it amusing that you are one of the few people to ADMIT this.  everyone else hating on this topic probably has the same opinion here and doesnt want to acknowledge it.  IF the team did end up buffing hidden strikes and placate to the point where it was 'mathematically superior', you would not want to continue your current stalker playstyle even if the (potential) changes fundamentally did not alter your current stalker playstyle.

i made very vague/broad suggestions early into the topic but it doesnt need to be that hidden strike just does 'more damage'.  it can provide a limited buff to all sorts of things (recharge, endurance recovery, to-hit, defense)... it can give a flat heal or endurance chunk... it can place a strong debuff on the enemy (-damage%, -regen, -to hit, -defense, -resistance)...

if we want to go down the road of more damage though we can also just look at it differently than just pumping up the numbers directly.  as a thought... what if it attached a 'bomb' debuff to the target that 'explodes' on death or after a certain amount of hits for a medium AoE nuke (probably via pseudo pets)... which could serve to shore up the limited AoE stalker has.  Or some kind of scaling DoT that could cement stalker as the AV killer.  hidden strike could also just be kinda boring and provide a buff bonus to damage or crit chance.

and im sure others can think of more creative applications/possibilities to occur with hidden strikes.  the key here though is that some of these things would not necessarily provide a benefit over the unhidden strike in all situations.  you would need to balance the opportunity cost of casting the long hidden strike.  there could still be plenty of opportunity to use unhidden strikes as well.  the difference being that there could potentially be a good opportunity cost to actually USING hidden strike.

the reality as it current stands is that it is never 'mathematically superior' to do the hidden strike because #1 it is a waste of time to wait for hidden and #2 it is a waste of time to CAST the hidden strike.  and beyond that there is no unique benefits to use hidden strike either because it provides no alternate benefits.  the only real purpose to hidden strike currently is for theme or because you havent used it in a while and you just feel like 'why the hell not'.  we dont need to create the inverse situation here.  unhidden strike does not need to become the 'mathematically inferior' version at the end of the day.  if well designed/balanced, they can both be useful depending on the situation infront of you.

i think there is opportunity to evolve stalker into something unique instead of just an alternate scrapper.  it seems like this thought scares people more than it excites people however...

and as a general statement to the topic at hand -- yes i understand this same conversation occurred with instant snipes, but sniping was never the center focus and iconic theme of the blasting powersets.  you are given hide at level 1 and the AT passive has a nice paragraph about it... who else has hidden assassins strikes?? cause i see tons of archetypes have snipes (stalkers have snipes!)

• Like 1