What is your favorite X/X matched character?

I have an energy/energy stalker... but it wasn't my plan.  I was making an energy/ stalker after the changes and after building 4-5 different options in Mid's, settled on /energy aura.  The fact that they match was never my intention.  In fact, I don't think it even occurred to me that it was a matched set until someone asked me my toon was once in game.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

6 hours ago, arcane said:

I have a handful of these. Fire/Fire blaster meteor-farm-capable with capped fire res/def, Rad/Rad defender proc god, and good ole triple rain scourge Ice/Cold corruptor strike me as my best.

Oh good lord.  Brain dead moment.  I had a Cold/Ice defender at 50 on Live not yet recreated here but he was one of my go to characters for end game content on Pinnacle.

I very rarely play "matched" characters...I'm not sure if I deliberately avoid them or if it's just coincidence, though I almost lean towards suspecting the former.  It's just more interesting that way, I think, most of the time, to come up with why certain "unmatched" sets end up being matched together?

That said, I do have a few.  An Archery/TA Blaster, and, similarly, a TA/Archery Defender, an a Electric/Electric Brute.  Of those, the Brute is definitely my favorite. My first-ever level 50 villain back in the old days made right at the onset of i7, and one of the early re-makes when HC came around as well.

Used to be Rad/Rad DEF. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On Live my favorite was a Nin/Nin (Ninja Blade / Ninjitsu) Stalker.  I figure that counts.  But my first 50 was a Rad/Rad Corruptor.  Also great.

On HC now I've tried reincarnating that Corruptor as a Rad/Rad Stalker and... meh.  Not liking Rad Melee.  At least not yet. Maybe a Rad/Rad Sentinel instead?

My fav here is a Ice/Shield Stalker which is KIND of in the spirit of themed x/x because the Shield is made of Ice. 😛

• Like 1

I have very few of these: an electric/electric blaster, an ice/ice tanker, a ninja blade/ninjitsu stalker. 

Of these, the ninja is probably my favorite, since I do NOT dote on all things Japanese, and the character's concept (La Faiseuse d'Anges) is about as far removed from Japan as it is possible to be. 

I used to play the blaster a lot more, basically a blastfender concept,  until changes to the /electric secondary sent her into semi-retirement. 

The ice tanker has the tissues that come with Ice armor.  Built as a melee controller, she is certainly playable but is slow DPS even for a tanker, and was made in fulfilment of my vow of having every armor set (except Stone) and every melee attack set (except Super Strength, which I will not play in its current form) at 50.

Count me in the faction that would take Invuln/SS as a matched pair.  There are a whole lot of matched sets among the melee sets (Fire/Fire. Dark/Dark, Stone/Stone) that would seem to me to not have all that much synergy, and where the sets would benefit from a mixed up pairing.

Edited by Heraclea
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Earth/Earth dominator and Archery/Trick Arrow corruptor

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Ice/Ice/Ice Tanker.

Hear me out.

Created her on Live and remade her here.

Yes, the lowest damage output for a tanker, however ....

Mighty taunt aura

Ice Patch ...making everyone floppity

Two Holds

Strong AoE

Think of her as an armored controller, mob mitigation.

Plus Hibernation : A panic button for those "Hold my beer, I got this" moments that get a bit ....out of hand

Edited by JasperStone
  • Like 1

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

Probably my mind/psionic dominator. I put them all to sleep and pick a target.

"Wake up, it's time to die!"

Then I beat their mind with my mind until they wish they were dead.

killwithbrain.jpg.f7fa9060f71d5c448a546b76fd0672c3.jpg

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 6/13/2021 at 11:13 AM, Haijinx said:

Is it really that bad now?

It's objectively much more powerful now. Some people don't like the refocus of what powers do what debuffs, but the overall package is much stronger in every way.

Ha, whoops! They were talking about Blasters. : )

Indeed, Blaster TA received a bit of a nerf, but not terrible.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1

Storm/Energy Defender, anyone who says this isn't a thematic pair is selling you something. Fight me.

TA/A Defender

Past that I'm not much of a thematic person either I guess, but really it comes down to just not finding the excitement in thematic pairings. Logistically they make sense. Pyro, Iceman, having that unified nature. It's not often in comics you find someone walking around with obscure things like Gravity Control and Ice Manipulation and be a top selling character, I tried figuring out that out in my own musings, how do you try and make that make sense even in a hypothetically fictional world? But still, those off-the-wall pairings are always the more fun, outlandish ones to play.

Hehe, Storm is like cheating ...

Wind/Storm

Storm/Electric 

Storm/Water

Storm/Ice

Storm/Fire

Ice/Storm

Fire/Storm

Electric/Storm

... okay probably missing a couple yet 

Edit:  Like maybe Storm/Energy 😉

Edited by Doomguide2005

1 minute ago, Doomguide2005 said:

No idea, bit out of touch owing to life, dead computer and all ... but it's at the bottom of the Controller primaries on CoD v2.0 so figured I'd just missed something.

There are a few sets which exist in the data files, but not in the game (yet).  Don't know if the HC team is actively working on them, or if they're just legacy code from the old days that just sits there, taunting us, daring us to reserve names like Broken Wind.

You can have that.  👍

1 minute ago, Luminara said:

There are a few sets which exist in the data files, but not in the game (yet).  Don't know if the HC team is actively working on them, or if they're just legacy code from the old days that just sits there, taunting us, daring us to reserve names like Broken Wind.

You can have that.  👍

Thanks and interesting ... kind of wondered.  I feel like a vaguely saw the set mentioned elsewhere.

Can I have a bathtub filled with Bubbles as my 'travel power' for BW?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Can I have a bathtub filled with Bubbles as my 'travel power' for BW?

Not until @Jimmy and Co. finish my red carpet with cheering crowds travel power for Star of the Show.  😛 

• Haha 1

My main, the first character I rolled on both live and HC, is my fire/fire blaster. Love it.

Close behind is my energy/energy brute.

Alas, my energy/energy brute's younger sister is a dark/dark brute, and she is such and Endurance hog..