Jump to content

What the Hell happened to Razer Mice?


Recommended Posts

I have been using Razer Mice since...hell, pretty much since they first came out. They were damn good quality and lasted me years before they would even start glitching out.

Now, I have bought a Razer Death Adder and the damn right click started glitching out. Like sometimes it would just depress on its own. This had a largest affect when scoping for some games, or turning in City of Heroes. You would scope, then suddenly even though you are still pressing the right mouse button, you are no longer scoping. Or you would go to turn, and then suddenly you are not turning anymore. It was insanely annoying.

So I chopped it up to just bad luck, I guess that one got by QA, so I bought another one. After just one month, was having the same problem.

SO I said screw it and decided to stay away from Death Adder, even though that was the one I had used for ever.

Then I bought a Basilisk. I'll be damned, if I am not getting some middle mouse scroll wheel glitch where it jerks around while scrolling. I am now using the mouse wheel side buttons to scroll instead of actually scrolling the scroll wheel.

WTF happened to Razer? The quality is just pathetic now. Now here I am trying to find a substitute for my Razer mouse which is extremely difficult, I have gotten used to the feel and design of this mouse and it's going to be difficult adjusting to another brand.

What happened to Razer? And can anyone suggest a similar mouse that is made of some good quality stuff?

  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have been using Razer mice and keyboards for many years (since they first came out also).  They are still okay, but nowhere near as good as they once were IMO.  

It used to take a lot of use and abuse before the mouse or keyboard would give out.  Not so true any more.  Now it seems to be hit or miss.

 

Additionally, I would add that their decision to move toward an online software for creating and storing profiles is stupid (again IMO).  It's buggy as bleep.  It likes to also forget my logging credentials regularly and refuse to let me back in until I reset my password. Storing the profile locally works until it randomly decides to delete it and act like it doesn't know what happened.  Also, they designed the silly keyboards with an internal chip that likes to go wonky and cause certain keyboard backlights to stop being backlit until unplugging and re-plugging in the usb cable.  All of these are known issues and trust me they have a ton more.  

 

Plus the wrist pad rubber coating wears off easily and they offer no way to replace it short or buying an entire new keyboard.  

 

My current Razer mouse is the Lancehead and it has been pretty good.  The Ornata keyboard... ehh, some things I really like about it, but the buggy lighting (coincidentally right over the WSAD  and surrounding keys) is really dumb and since THEY KNOW ABOUT THEIR CRAPPY DEFECTIVE CHIPS, it just feels like a big "you bought it - it's your problem now" which is something that can make me decide to never use a brand again (looking at you Sony TV's).

 

Once upon a time (years ago) I used to drool over the Razer Blade line of gaming laptops...  until I saw the user reviews.  VERY glad I went with Alienware instead. (17 R1 with all bells / whistles) - it has been a rock and still kicks butt with everything I run today (even Win 10).

 

So, Razer has let their edge over the competition slip to where my next setup will most likely be Corsair or any of the other nice products out there not milking their long dead reputation.  Sorry Razer, it's me, not you... (lol)

 

I'm totally with you on this one @Solarverse.  Of course I've watched a lot of the best come and go over the years (BFG Video cards anyone? lol)

 

Edited to add:  For a while my son and I used Death Adders (mouse) and they were great.  Then when we each replaced our old ones the new ones stopped working within a month (left mouse click on both), then both replacements had the same problem (purchased through a different retailer to avoid a 'bad batch' if that makes sense), and still both failed within weeks.

 

I think you can still get a good ~ decent Razer mouse / keyboard - it's just much more of a gamble.  What's that saying?  "Must have been made on a Monday or a Friday!".  Kind of feels like this applies anymore.  Even more still though I REALLY want to emphasize the PITA online profile settings and their stupid software as a main reason for me wanting to move away from them (besides their indifference to quality anymore). 

Edited by KauaiJim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really sad to hear this.  I had a Razor Boomslang and a Copperhead in the past, and when the latter finally failed it was between jobs, so I had to go with a budget Corsair, which proved very frustrating.  I'm currently using a HyperX Pulsefire Core, which is not flashy, but is solid.  I had dreams of getting another Razor, but no way am I going to cough up the dough if the quality has crashed.

 

That said,  @Solarverse, might there be a chance to find a "gently used" older Razor off E-bay or something?

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KauaiJim said:

I too have been using Razer mice and keyboards for many years (since they first came out also).  They are still okay, but nowhere near as good as they once were IMO.  

It used to take a lot of use and abuse before the mouse or keyboard would give out.  Not so true any more.  Now it seems to be hit or miss.

 

Additionally, I would add that their decision to move toward an online software for creating and storing profiles is stupid (again IMO).  It's buggy as bleep.  It likes to also forget my logging credentials regularly and refuse to let me back in until I reset my password. Storing the profile locally works until it randomly decides to delete it and act like it doesn't know what happened.  Also, they designed the silly keyboards with an internal chip that likes to go wonky and cause certain keyboard backlights to stop being backlit until unplugging and re-plugging in the usb cable.  All of these are known issues and trust me they have a ton more.  

 

Plus the wrist pad rubber coating wears off easily and they offer no way to replace it short or buying an entire new keyboard.  

 

My current Razer mouse is the Lancehead and it has been pretty good.  The Ornata keyboard... ehh, some things I really like about it, but the buggy lighting (coincidentally right over the WSAD  and surrounding keys) is really dumb and since THEY KNOW ABOUT THEIR CRAPPY DEFECTIVE CHIPS, it just feels like a big "you bought it - it's your problem now" which is something that can make me decide to never use a brand again (looking at you Sony TV's).

 

Once upon a time (years ago) I used to drool over the Razer Blade line of gaming laptops...  until I saw the user reviews.  VERY glad I went with Alienware instead. (17 R1 with all bells / whistles) - it has been a rock and still kicks butt with everything I run today (even Win 10).

 

So, Razer has let their edge over the competition slip to where my next setup will most likely be Corsair or any of the other nice products out there not milking their long dead reputation.  Sorry Razer, it's me, not you... (lol)

 

I'm totally with you on this one @Solarverse.  Of course I've watched a lot of the best come and go over the years (BFG Video cards anyone? lol)


I have had my eye on this mouse, but I am waiting until I get more long term info on it. Like all the reviews are from people who got it straight out of the box...but how does it hold up after the first year, second year and so on?

https://www.newegg.com/evga-903-w1-17bk-kr-x17-usb-wired/p/N82E16826188009?item=N82E16826188009&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-gaming+mice-_-N82E16826188009&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNeb2fJNs31EMDSaAgQ33UpWekH9kz6LJx6zOG97MAn_16Dt5o589RcaAt_oEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

26-188-009-V01.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Really sad to hear this.  I had a Razor Boomslang and a Copperhead in the past, and when the latter finally failed it was between jobs, so I had to go with a budget Corsair, which proved very frustrating.  I'm currently using a HyperX Pulsefire Core, which is not flashy, but is solid.  I had dreams of getting another Razor, but no way am I going to cough up the dough if the quality has crashed.

 

That said,  @Solarverse, might there be a chance to find a "gently used" older Razor off E-bay or something?


Personally, after the last three mice I have bought, I am scared to death to buy anything from Razer at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a "get off my lawn" moment. I've never used anything but a standard wired two button + wheel mouse. Ok, that's not true. Once upon a time the wheel/button 3 didn't exist. That evga mouse sure does look purty, though.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Razer 20 key pad and a razer mouse.  They are meh.  The keypad is the only one like it, but i am using it less and less right now.  I agree the software is buggy as crap.  They actually conflict with each other because one version of their software supports one, another version the other.  Like....you idiots cannot even coordinate your own product line?  and you are in computer devices?  really?  omfg.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the logitech g502.  It gets the job done and hasnt had any issues yet.  Bought a second for the laptop.  I just use 4 of the extra buttons but there is a 'g shift' button that lets u switch to a second set of commands on the buttons.  

 

61mpMH5TzkL._AC_SY450_.jpg.01520cd3163e481fa7ad8a654d4e6fac.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Lead Game Master

Razer has been more about looks, advertising, and brand than quality for years now.

 

Same experience. My Naga died barely out of the short warranty.

 

Since then I have only bought ReDragon Perdition MMO mouse. Same "all the buttans" type as the Naga, only better quality, and actually.... Cheaper.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Red Dragon, I think they are also sold as Piktek. Cheap as dirt and twice as hard to destroy!

  • Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko. Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko. But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love my razor Keyboard Blackwidow and my Tartarus keyboard controller, I've been using a Utech Smart Mouse which has been working fine.

  • Like 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has a nose in that industry, while Razer has been around for a considerable time, they definitely stand on advertisement more than quality of the products and getting customers to buy in on the belief that if the item fails in a few years it's because they "took it to the limit" of the gaming experience. A lot of continuous buyers for Razer specifically will return every couple of years to replace a part of the peripherals for one defect or another. They have a great look that appeals to a lot of gamers and PC users alike, but they have not had a consistently broad-spectrum quality product in easily ten years compared to their competitors.

 

I can just as easily point out some personal negatives about a couple of others too, but for what it's worth, if anyone remembers when Logitech announced their G600 image.png.9f270ccde56f11fc062b4cdb23bc64d3.png

It was partnered with CoH as the Ultimate MMO mouse, and I bought in then and didn't give up on that mouse ever since. It claimed to be a serious contender of life span and I know for certain I got my clicks out of it. It often only shows up around the fall for sale, and can be bought "on sale" for $30 from it's "$79.99". For anyone who's ever been a Naga Multi-Thumb fan, this is always my go-to suggestion. For those who are Razer users moving away, my suggestion would probably be a Hero series G502 as it will have a similar grip/palm placement for the hand, similar button components for the thumb, and both wired/wireless options. image.png.59225f1a949884bb7dad1722aa424ea3.png

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always had bad experiences with Razer products. I used a copperhead myself back in the day before it broke far before its time. I also had a headset that got all loose and droopy in short order. To their credit they did refund me the rather expensive purchase price.

 

After the copperhead I grabbed a classic logitech g9 mouse and still use it to this day. The damn thing has survived 15 years of heavy gaming in perfect working order. It's too bad they don't make this sexy beast any longer, but they still have some good mice.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Like BillZ, I've literally only used the old two-button mice and only graduated to the three-button/scroll mouse from Logitech and never use anything else. I make sure it's on a wire connection, too, which is getting more and more difficult these days. I play/played many different MMOs, FPSs, RTSs, all competitively and never had any issue "keeping up" with the so-called Serious Gamer Equipment.

 

Never fall for the branding/marketing. You're buying a slogan, not a product that will last.

  • Like 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

 

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

After the copperhead I grabbed a classic logitech g9 mouse and still use it to this day. The damn thing has survived 15 years of heavy gaming in perfect working order. It's too bad they don't make this sexy beast any longer, but they still have some good mice.

 

I'll echo the sentiments on Logitech quality; I've been using a G5 for about the same amount of time.  Any hardware that lasts over a decade of heavy use without any performance issues scores some serious points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Razer Naga is older than my current computer (which is a Windows 7 machine) and works great, but now I know better than to go back to the same brand when I eventually need a new one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise this is confirmation bias, but my Naga Molten lasted me years and years - still works, just the right mouse button sticks sometimes. So I got a new one in a sale - Naga Trinity - and I've had no problems since I got it.

 

That said, the super cheap mouse I got for my laptop has survived falling down stairs, being accidentally thrown against a wall (I tripped) and probably a bunch of other stuff... still totally fine. I think I'm just blessed by electronic fairies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in for the Struldbrugg mouse club.  Two buttons, a scroll wheel, some sort of wire connection to my computer, and I'm good.  If a game requires more mouse buttons to play, I'm probably not interested.  The only bit of fancy I require is a quiet mouse - got tired of feeling like a telegraph operator years ago.

 

That said, I've noticed a general decline in the quality of pretty much anything over the past year, no doubt due to the pandemic.  Food quality, clothing, electronics, everything.  Feels like the bar was set low just to get stuff to market, and I fear it might stay low because people accept it as the "new normal."

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

I have been using a 4 button thumb trackball mouse for years now. I don't know if I could play a fame if I had to actually move the mouse around.

Logitech mx ergo is my current trackball of choice. I'm like you and haven't used a mouse for gaming in many years.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend Logitech. I also have a g502 and been using it for about a year or so and it feels great. I haven't had any issues. I had a Razer Naga that was my main gaming mouse for many years. I tried HyperX and Corsair and I was not impressed. I really liked my Corsair Glaive, but the mouse wheel broke and when I looked it up it appeared to be a common issue. I now have a Logitech gaming headset and keyboard to match my mouse and I'm never looking back lol.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

I have been using a 4 button thumb trackball mouse for years now. I don't know if I could play a fame if I had to actually move the mouse around.


I didn't even think those existed anymore, lol. For me personally, it would be a nightmare to use a trackball mouse. That would be like me not inverting my Y axis in a FPS or Flight Sim, heh. I would be that confused. But again, for you it would be just the opposite if you were forced to go to a regular mouse I'm sure, heh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Solarverse said:


I didn't even think those existed anymore, lol. For me personally, it would be a nightmare to use a trackball mouse. That would be like me not inverting my Y axis in a FPS or Flight Sim, heh. I would be that confused. But again, for you it would be just the opposite if you were forced to go to a regular mouse I'm sure, heh.

I bought 4 of them on Amazon years ago. They were expensive then. I can only imagine how much they go for now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...