What the Hell happened to Razer Mice?

Solarverse

4 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

I'll echo the sentiments on Logitech quality; I've been using a G5 for about the same amount of time.  Any hardware that lasts over a decade of heavy use without any performance issues scores some serious points.

My G5 lasted almost 10 years as well, I loved that mouse. The only reason I replaced it was because the LED (or laser?) sensor went out, and while I could've maybe replaced it, I thought 10 years of use was good enough.

27 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

My G5 lasted almost 10 years as well, I loved that mouse. The only reason I replaced it was because the LED (or laser?) sensor went out, and while I could've maybe replaced it, I thought 10 years of use was good enough.

What did you end up replacing it with?  I'm dreading the day this one goes out; I love the feel of it, and I haven't seen anything recently that looks like it would be a comparable replacement.

9 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

What did you end up replacing it with?  I'm dreading the day this one goes out; I love the feel of it, and I haven't seen anything recently that looks like it would be a comparable replacement.

Interestingly enough, I replaced it with a Razer Death Adder. The performance was about on par, but I really haven't been gaming as much as I used to, so I haven't had it die on me yet.

Edited by Arbegla

Same, I moved away from Razer after having so many products of theirs fail less than a year in. Which sucks, because I was a pretty big fan of their peripherals, especially mice made for larger hands.

I've since switched to corsair and have very little issues with it, beyond ICUE not always firing properly or binding DPI settings to hardware (why oh why?). I still like their products a lot and am currently using this mouse, https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Mice/Wireless-Gaming-Mice/DARK-CORE-RGB-PRO-SE-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse/p/CH-9315511-NA 

I tried a Razer Naga and Kraken (I think that was the name of the headset?), gosh, roughly ten years ago and had issues with the quality. I had 2 nagas; had to return one under warranty because it started double left clicking after less than 1 year of use. Replaced it with a second naga, and boom, same thing started happening. Headset didn't last real long either and I was disappointed in the quality. Went back to Logitech products after that.

Though lately, due to having some pretty severe tendonitis, I've transitioned away from traditional style mice--it just puts too much strain on my wrist/arm. I have a Logitech MX Ergo mouse (elevated trackball mouse) that I love. Idk what I would do if I had to go back to physically moving my mouse again, lol. I also purchased a Corsair mechanical "gaming" keyboard that has been holding up extremely well, even after I accidentally dumped a soda in it and had to take it apart to clean it and put it back together. I have found the mechanical keys to be a bit more ergonomic compared to the standard keys since it takes so little effort to get them to respond. I don't think I can ever go back to a traditional keyboard after this one eventually craps out on me, lol.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

17 hours ago, Solarverse said:

I have been using Razer Mice since...hell, pretty much since they first came out. They were damn good quality and lasted me years before they would even start glitching out.

Now, I have bought a Razer Death Adder and the damn right click started glitching out. Like sometimes it would just depress on its own. This had a largest affect when scoping for some games, or turning in City of Heroes. You would scope, then suddenly even though you are still pressing the right mouse button, you are no longer scoping. Or you would go to turn, and then suddenly you are not turning anymore. It was insanely annoying.

So I chopped it up to just bad luck, I guess that one got by QA, so I bought another one. After just one month, was having the same problem.

SO I said screw it and decided to stay away from Death Adder, even though that was the one I had used for ever.

Then I bought a Basilisk. I'll be damned, if I am not getting some middle mouse scroll wheel glitch where it jerks around while scrolling. I am now using the mouse wheel side buttons to scroll instead of actually scrolling the scroll wheel.

WTF happened to Razer? The quality is just pathetic now. Now here I am trying to find a substitute for my Razer mouse which is extremely difficult, I have gotten used to the feel and design of this mouse and it's going to be difficult adjusting to another brand.

What happened to Razer? And can anyone suggest a similar mouse that is made of some good quality stuff?

Honestly, I can say I've been following Razer since they weren't even in production.
To be quite honest, their stuff has ALWAYS been delicate crap.

They were at GenCon 1998 with one display unit and two demo units.
On day 1, both demo units were thrashed and in pieces.

When I got around to reviewing them once they were in full production, I had two units broken on arrival, and the third lasted less than a week.

I've looked at their products over the years, and they're all that way.

They're boutique garbage, and I can't recommend ANYONE spend actual money on them.

My "go to" brands for Mice are Logitech and Steel Series these days.
There's nothing QUITE like the Razer wide-front mice.  But as I've said, the underlying hardware's crap.
My current mouse is a Steel Series Rival 310.
I used to have one of the Steel Series Sensei mice (the nice rubberized exterior).  Lost it after I had the Windows Hardware Manager on my system (at the time) go belly up.
(Mouse would randomly stop working, re-plugging didn't work, software reinstall didn't work, but plugging a different mouse in did.  At least at first.)
By the time I'd figured out what happened, I'd thought it was just a bad mouse and replaced it.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I've had a very good experience with Steel Series. Currently have the Sensei 310. Had several Logitech mice die a quick death and won't go near them anymore.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

The G502 was the mouse I swapped to after getting over the Razer brand. I've opened to be more conservative with my mouse button economy rather than try mapping as much to the many side buttons, I use combined inputs as well as more of the buttons around my movement keys (habit I not have from Blade and Soul).

I, too, bought an extra just in case of a breakdown but I haven't opened it for, like 2 years and I worry it might be missing firmware by the time I do open it.

1 hour ago, Uun said:

I've had a very good experience with Steel Series. Currently have the Sensei 310. Had several Logitech mice die a quick death and won't go near them anymore.

I am still pissed at them for discontinuing the Merc Stealth board. Mine is still holding up, but one day..........

I miss mice with balls.  I liked balls.  They felt good.  They felt right.  You could do things with balls that you can't do with lasers and infrared LEDs.  Yeah, sometimes you had to pull your balls out and clean the gunk out of the hole, but it was worth it.  😕

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

22 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I miss mice with balls.  I liked balls.  They felt good.  They felt right.  You could do things with balls that you can't do with lasers and infrared LEDs.  Yeah, sometimes you had to pull your balls out and clean the gunk out of the hole, but it was worth it.  😕

I got arrested the last time I pulled my balls out to clean them.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luminara said:

spacer.png

Edited by Naraka

I've been using the Razer Death Adder 2 since last year. Fits nicely in the hand. Allows me to create macros. So far so good!

The RGB/macros on the mouse don't work if you don't install their "synapse" software, though. And that software tries to connect to the internet, constantly. (lol telemetry.) And also activates on startup even if you disable it.

Obviously I block it with Simplewall. But...what a world to live in where your mouse is trying to spy on you. :classic_biggrin:

71D2FxQ3xOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by America's Angel

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

13 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Like BillZ, I've literally only used the old two-button mice and only graduated to the three-button/scroll mouse from Logitech and never use anything else.

11 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

I'll echo the sentiments on Logitech quality; I've been using a G5 for about the same amount of time.

I currently have a Logitech mouse, keyboard, webcam and headset.

While my girlfriend has a top-of-the-line Corsair keyboard (and loves it), I'm using one of Logitech's cheapest.  It cost me $14 (with a mouse) and I love it.  I liked it so much, I bought a spare one in case they discontinued the model by the time this one wears out.  I build a new system every 3-4 years and this is my third computer using this same keyboard.  I'm not using the cheap corded mouse that was packaged with the keyboard.  I'm using a cordless laser mouse (M705).

I can say one good thing about Razer.  I have a corded Razer headset that worked great for many years (and still does) and it was fine when I lived in a studio apartment so small that the cord allowed me to walk from the computer to the kitchen.  When I got a bigger place, I got a wireless headset (Logitech G930).  I've had it just over 7 years and had to replace the ear pads, which are easy enough to find online and replace.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Isn't that like a $200 dollar mouse?

Lol, that's the older version of the Logitech MX Ergo that a couple of us use, and even the Ergo is only like $80

• Thanks 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I got a left-handed Razer mouse for Christmas.  The mouse itself works really well, and I'm enjoying the exciting novelty of a middle scroll wheel and other new-fangled gizmos (for context: I've been using a finger-operated Logitech trackball since roughly forever).

The Razer software, on the other hand, is a pile of crap.  From years of using right-handed mice with my left hand, I have right-clicking with my index finger so completely ingrained that I decided to set up the Razer to swap the left and right mouse buttons assignments.  This does mostly work.  The mouse respects my button switching everywhere I've tried it, except for on the Razer app mouse button assignment screen.  It even works in the rest of the Razer app!  I spent so, so long clicking on options and wondering why things were going wrong.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

The only thing I'll use in MMOs (and once I got used to it other games as well) anymore.

spacer.png

Razer makes something similar if brand means something to you...

spacer.png

Corsair makes one, also...

spacer.png

I can't play MMOs without these anymore. The thumb buttons prevent fumble fingers like me from mashing four different buttons whilst also WASDing my way through the game.

The Razor Viper I have is still serviceable enough. But I admit, when it's time comes, I'm not married to the brand.

If they'd had more LEFT HANDED mice <grumble grumble grumble> I might have more brand loyalty built up.

the 12-side-button mice are probably more than my brain could handle. 

The original 6-side-button Naga I could have made work.... if it worked for us southpaws.

4 minutes ago, MTeague said:

the 12-side-button mice are probably more than my brain could handle.

It was at first but it becomes second nature. It works especially well with the way CoH has coded their trays... 

12 buttons, 12 abilities in #1 tray

12 buttons+Shift (instead of Alt) 12 abilities in #2 tray.

12 buttons+CTRL, 12 abilities in the way cool CTRL pop-up tray.

I have 36 abilities at my thumb-tip  without having to change fingers from WASD or take my hand off the mouse. 

And like I said it becomes second nature, Like I know my electrical affinity corruptor's galvanic sentinel is CTRL+BUTTON 3 and I know that just from muscle memory and I can recall it without pulling up the game. It gets to be that second nature.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hublinki said:

It was at first but it becomes second nature. It works especially well with the way CoH has coded their trays... 

12 buttons, 12 abilities in #1 tray

12 buttons+Shift (instead of Alt) 12 abilities in #2 tray.

12 buttons+CTRL, 12 abilities in the way cool CTRL pop-up tray.

Which is great, except it's 10 abilities per tray...

5 hours ago, Hublinki said:

The only thing I'll use in MMOs (and once I got used to it other games as well) anymore.

[snipped fancy space mice images]

I can't play MMOs without these anymore. The thumb buttons prevent fumble fingers like me from mashing four different buttons whilst also WASDing my way through the game.

I never got into these, either. I was that weird kid in gaming who (still) clicked all the abilities and was still able to maneuver like I wasn't doing exactly that. In WoW specifically, I could dismount and be in Stealth on my rogue nearly instantly despite each ability being in opposite corners of my screen. Of course, Blizzard undermined my skill by making Stealth auto-dismount in a later update, but whatever.

Point is, I don't like change and just learned to make my ancient mouse with 3 buttons work miracles.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.