Sentinels. Why???

Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

He seems to massively disagree with this, posts some numbers (without including a DPS rotation or analyzation, just "numbers") that state clearly that a Sentinels first ST volley does more than a Blasters.  I quote that, respond with amazement, and get slammed for "taking it out of context"

I did exactly what you asked.

You said:

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Go to mids, open two sets.  pull up an unslotted energy Sentinel and an unslotted energy Blaster.  Look at the ST damage.  I will not do this for anyone.

If you wanted a robust, realistic ST DPS comparison then you should have asked for it. Your constant use of "Arcanatime" as some sort of derogatory "your numbers only work when you change the data to suit them" confounds the hell outta me.

Maybe it's you that doesn't know what you want or what you're talking about? No, it's us who are all insane.

371648706_OutofTouch.jpg.7a1434937734b9128e77b507622329c1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

9 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Dunno about others, but for me, balance is its own goal, much akin to making other things beautiful in the world.

All I see is flamewars and blatant baiting, I don't see anything beautiful there.  But I also think Thanos was a piker, so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

14 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

I did exactly what you asked.

You said:

If you wanted a robust, realistic ST DPS comparison then you should have asked for it. Your constant use of "Arcanatime" as some sort of derogatory "your numbers only work when you change the data to suit them" confounds the hell outta me.

Maybe it's you that doesn't know what you want or what you're talking about? No, it's us who are all insane.

371648706_OutofTouch.jpg.7a1434937734b9128e77b507622329c1.jpg

Yeah.  Arcanatime is not thrown out as an insult.  It is THE GOLD STANDARD of accuracy.  Which I have specifically said I WILL NOT be micro delving into DPS rotations.

I did say look at Energy Blast.  

Evidently you did.  Then clearly posted numbers showing the first volley of Sentinels out damage Blasters.  Then you seemed upset that I quoted you said that.

Since you are delving into DPS it would be helpful, if in context, you add in the whole AT including multiple aim and build up.  You do not have to.  You do not have to drive between the lines on freeways.  Do what you want.  But I will be pointing out the things you leave off.  "Look at Energy Blast" does not mean "Cherry pick an un boosted attack chain without including DPS rotations etc and then drawing a conclusion"  But again, do what you want.  Lick frozen light poles for all I care.  Run a Sentinel and claim it is whatever you want.  Just do not expect me to be going along with your reality.

No matter how many cartoons you post.

• Thumbs Down 3

@Snarky

967698743_Mr.BonesWildRide.thumb.jpg.31136b3934afda50c7aabbcb11bbb911.jpg

Look, man. I'm not going in circles with you. You wanted someone else to do your footwork and compare the damage numbers of Sentinel Energy Blast to Blaster Energy Blast. You neglected to detail exactly how you wanted those numbers compared, which I assume was to give you an out in case you were mistaken. You've taken that out and are now demanding more footwork from other people to support your own claims. You were "thumbed down" because of that reason -- you're like a kid that says he wants a cookie, then gets mad because his mommy didn't give him the RIGHT cookie.

I'm not entertaining you further on this. It's just not worth the headache.

• Like 7

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

Just now, ForeverLaxx said:

@Snarky

You wanted someone else to do your footwork and compare the damage numbers of Sentinel Energy Blast to Blaster Energy Blast. You neglected to detail exactly how you wanted those numbers compared, which I assume was to give you an out in case you were mistaken. You've taken that out and are now demanding more footwork from other people to support your own claims. You were "thumbed down" because of that reason -- you're like a kid that says he wants a cookie, then gets mad because his mommy didn't give him the RIGHT cookie.

I'm not entertaining you further on this. It's just not worth the headache.

i never asked you to do a damn thing.  

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

My thoughts on Sentinals.

I have twelve of them and they are fun to play.

• They are a bit underpowered in DPS.
  • They don't add a heck of a lot to a team, but they don't need much support from the team.
  • Their inherent is sorta meh.

Things I'd change:

• Boost DPS slightly, increase resist cap to 85%
  • Change inherent to give teammates different boosts based on the sentinel's secondary and possibly the teammate AT.
  • In case of sentinel teammates, some other synergy.
  • Not sure if having just a constant buff, or building up the bar like dominators.  Possibly a low constant with an occasional extra buff for one other teammate.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, skoryy said:

All I see is flamewars and blatant baiting, I don't see anything beautiful there.  But I also think Thanos was a piker, so.

Balance has nothing to do with flamewars and baiting. Such things are very easy to avoid reading and even easier to avoid being part of.

I love you folks, but this topic is run through at least once a week in the Sentinel forums, and is about the deadest horse that can be beaten in HC-era CoH.

I don't think anyone here is trying to start anything, but all of these threads end up in more or less the same place. 

There have been some creative suggestions in the past - perhaps a thread in the suggestions forum might be in order to consolidate useful ideas!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Dark Dove said:

Fire/Fire blaster? I can't look right now, but I think that's a thing.

EDIT: I eventually looked, yep, Fire/Fire blaster has access to both Rain of Fire and Burn. Is Burn even worth using without something to stop mobs from running?  I have no experience with it outside of AT's with aggro control.

Most of Burn's damage, at least on the Sentinel, is front loaded.  It's like a small nuke!  It does scatter enemies a bit, but I took x/x/Fire AoE immobilize to help with that (and for more burnination). 

Good to know that Blaster has Rain and Burn though!  Worth keeping in mind if I want a squishier burn the world character!

58 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

image.png.99e572925e29a6fa1701a7fccb71028b.png

Inspiration - let's have a battle of dead horses! Or is this just going to be a new alt?

I'm not even kidding - Dead Horse was available on Everlasting! Done and done.

I'm thinking my first Street Justice stalker. Do you think horses are more stalky or scrappy? I don't see them as Tankers, being a prey animal. On the other hand, being dead and all, they could take quite a beating.

Hmm...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vanden said:

My bad, I thought you were still talking about Aimed Shot. You're right, Snap Shot does do damage above the formula, but it's scale .84, so I still don't know where you were getting scale 1.39.

That was the point I was making.  If one just looks at the different versions of the attack and compares the archetype scalars, that's the impression it gives, that the blaster version is using a higher than normal ranged damage scalar.  Or, from the other perspective, that the sentinel version is using a lower ranged damage scalar than the listed 0.95.  And the base values and scales aren't exactly front and center in any of the sources, nor do as many people enjoy playing with the numbers as we do, which makes it even more unintuitive.  The relevant information isn't presented as clearly or neatly as it could or should be.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

5 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Inspiration - let's have a battle of dead horses! Or is this just going to be a new alt?

I'm not even kidding - Dead Horse was available on Everlasting! Done and done.

I'm thinking my first Street Justice stalker. Do you think horses are more stalky or scrappy? I don't see them as Tankers, being a prey animal. On the other hand, being dead and all, they could take quite a beating.

Hmm...

Dark/SJ Tanker seems like a good thematic fit, or MA if you wanted to focus entirely on kicks 😉

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

All this thread is accomplishing is making me want to make another Sentinel.

I see I'm not the only one who sees an alt combo that gets ragged upon, and decides to make a GOTM (Garbage of the Month) alt, just to show that yep, you can make this work just fine.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I see I'm not the only one who sees an alt combo that gets ragged upon, and decides to make a GOTM (Garbage of the Month) alt, just to show that yep, you can make this work just fine.

The Orange Numbers mean nothing to me. Nothing!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Heh. I used to do different things - take a FOTM combo (say, when Ice/Elec blasters were popular) and either reverse it (Elec/Cold... which was ...odd) or stick it onto a different AT (Fire/kin? Sure... I'll make it as a tank, though, not a troller.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

16 hours ago, Hexquisite said:

All this thread is accomplishing is making me want to make another Sentinel.

Narrows her eyes.

I see your game now. Well played...

This is suddenly somehow exactly where I find myself. *sighs and benches his thirty alts to roll a sentinel*

Liberty and Virtue server refugee. Everlasting resident.

Main/Planned Characters:

• Astellus - Kinetic/Energy/Mu Scrapper (Magic)
  • Plasmitar - Radiation/Energy/Flame Blaster (Science)
  • Scionic - Psychic/Atomic/Soul Blaster (Mutation)
  • Safehouse - Street Justice/Energy Aura Scrapper (Magic)
  • Starshear - Energy/Atomic/Force Blaster (Science)
  • Neonstar - Luminous/Luminous Peacebringer (Natural)
  • Faerwald - Gravity/Energy/Psionic Dominator (Science)
  • Fomalhaut - Rad/Rad Sentinel (Science)

14 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Ooh, that's a great idea! Dark/MA is the ticket, I think, though I've been wanting to go SR on a tanker lately. Maybe I can stand sacrificing theme a bit. : )

Be prepared for the toughest fight in the game....

Dealing with the Blue Bar.

Mine is mid-20s and even with the various uniques is constantly gasping. What usually kills him is running out of blue, then shields dropping, then death. 

• Like 1