In game heroes

Ukase

There's been quite a bit of negativity on these forums lately. From folks like myself asking questions "Why do something like that?" to folks bashing a shard because of some unpleasant experiences they've had. 

So, what I propose is that we all take a moment to think - and post - about someone who has made your player experience better due to perhaps their generosity of inf, time, knowledge, badge assistance, or whatever. 

The first player that comes to my mind is @Yomo Kimyata 

Yomo is filthy rich as far as in-game currency goes. And, what's crazy, is I'm sure he's still giving away 20 Million influence to anyone who asks him for it through in-game email.  

But it's more than that. Yomo doesn't talk ill of those who are broke, or ignorant. He goes out of his way to share his knowledge with anyone, as evidenced by his guides in the market forum. 

It's my aim to revisit this post once a week and name one player who makes this game better because of the way they interact with the players around them. It'd be nice if some of you would do the same. Sometimes, good behavior is taken for granted, and we should probably do more to recognize these folks. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Good post idea! I'll go next:

I want to thank @TraumaTrain, @Jaxman100, @Midnyte, @FrauleinMental, @TygerDarkstorm@Bananiac, @TrixieKixx AND @EmmySkyfor their weekly themed task force/strike force engagements. Many of the folks who participate post screenshots of the event. The reason I bring that up is because I've never participated for various reasons, but I always find myself checking out their shenanigans each week. Perhaps a vicarious sense of community, as I don't team very often and because it's a bit of a drag pulling together folks on Indomitable. Anyways, they have a fan and perhaps one day I'll sign up for a themed event. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Aw, thanks @Glacier Peak! I predominantly play on Everlasting, but I saw their team theme thread a few months ago and thought I would see if they would let me tag along. Can't say enough good things about our little Saturday Theme Team group! You get treated like family there; we make mistakes, we're casual, we joke around, it's just all around a good time and one of the best parts of my week.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Chaos United on Everlasting and their hosting of daily MSR runs. They host these things in the open zone twice a day (scheduled around our two Hami's), and they are always super welcoming to anyone and everyone. And it's almost always a hilarious time. The chat is always flying with a mix of people RPing and OOC. Almost kinda feels like family in those too, lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Thanks, @Glacier Peak! Along those same lines, I'd like to thank all those you mentioned (plus @EmmySky) for exactly the same reason, but especially @TrixieKixx for taking over for me when I wasn't able to play as much toward the end of last year. She has done a wonderful job creating fun and entertaining themes. You should definitely join in some time, GP!

Also on Indom, I want to give a huge thanks and round of applause to @Eda for tirelessly running two MSRs every night, seven days a week (with very few exceptions)!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I feel called out.

Seriously, appreciation to all the players on the theme team, we always have a great time.

I don't have any one particular name to call out, but there are quite a few fine folks who have helped me out hugely the last month or so.  For those who don't know, my mom passed last month, two days after my birthday, and I've been having a rough time of it, along with several other catastrophies I've brought down upon myself.  There are a handful of players who really stepped up and supported me as friends.  I don't want to name them because they'd be all 'shucks' and stuff, but they know they are.  This is absolutely the best game to really learn who people are on the inside and get to know them.  I appreciate all of them (equally!)

Also, great nods to the raid runners, MSR and Hami, each night on each shard.  Ya'll are patient and kind and really go above and beyond.  It is never said enough, thank you for what you do!

Oh, one person I do wanna call out, @Dacy!  For being so patient and open with sharing her knowledge of base building and making videos that literally anyone can follow!  Many builders are willing to give their time and knowledge to help others, and they are fantastic too!

And thanks to @Ukase for thinking of making this thread.  There are lots of threads to thank the GMs and Devs (I appreciate them too!) but not a lot of threads to really share the love with our fellow players.  

Okay, blah blah blah, ready to go kick some assets?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

• Community Rep

What a wonderful topic, and thank you so much, Emmy! I love  @EmmySky, she contributes a lot to my Discord by way of comments and encouragement, along with a few other regular contributors, most notably @Easter Bunny, who is always ready to go see someone's base and give them encouragement!

I want to call out @VileTerror, who set up a Halloween giveaway last year, using several people as the faces of a giveaway that spanned all servers and gave away billions just for visiting bases, prompting and inspiring my Halloween base. I'm still giving away stuff from that!!

I also would name @Conventus (who apparently doesn't go by that here in the forums, or by his Discord handle) as someone who's helped me get literally hundreds of badges on my badger, and @agentx5 and @Vududawl for just being super friendly and opening up their Discord to just everyone to come team with them. And I'll name @Veracor, too; he set up the model for Hami runs and iTrials which give instructions so that even players who have zero clues can follow along with what they need to be doing, resulting in organized and effective runs that happen regularly.  I owe a lot of badges and merits to these events, and I've experienced and remember from Live some of these same events that were not run with instructions given, and the resulting chaos and confusion. I think we've gotten so used to it here that we rather take it for granted, and for him and his Everlasting TF helpers to show up all the time and put on these events on a regular schedule like they do is really helpful for the community, and quite the commitment. Same for the folks at Chaos United; they put on MSRs regularly and also regularly host events like trivia contests and the Everlasting Base Competitions, both of which give away influence and are, again, generally helpful. Thanks to all of these great people!

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Permit me to throw @Warboss into this particular ring.  He's organized the Tanker Tuesday madness for years and years, both Homecoming and live.  He has plenty of helpers -- so many I hesitate to try and name them for fear of leaving someone out -- but he carries the main load of publicizing the event and organizing the crazy herd of cats that show up every Tuesday into something resembling teams.   Tanker Tuesday is inclusive to as fault, making sure every newcomer and regular, no matter the level, has a team and an adventure for the evening. 

Both lighthearted and reliable, this event has been a mainstay of the social calendar in COH since I-don't-know-when, and @Warboss is its heart and soul.

Edited by Sailboat
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great topic. In terms of players, I'd like to give thanks to @Bopper for all he does organising the Golden Standard Testing discord. ❤️

Plus, I'd like to thank all the RPers who run nightclubs on Everlasting. Places like Infernos, Joker's Wild, Black Friday, Femme Fatales, Oasis, Impulse, Stormcage, Xs and Os, Black Cat, and Afterhours. Too many people to name individually, but thanks to all of them, there's always somewhere new and exciting to have fun and meet new RPers on any given night on Everlasting.

Edited by America's Angel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

Major props to @Oklahoman for his frequent and incredibly well organized Incarnate Trial badge runs (as well as his MSR runs).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

@Eda has already been mentioned, but she is still on my list for Indom:

1. ALL the leaders of nightly Hami Raids(6:30pm EST), whata party! I have had the chance to lead it once..... major stress. Some do it on a nightly basis...Thank you
  2. @Eda MSR (8 and 9pm weekly, except for Monday,  8pm) - highly organized and joining their Discord is highly encouraged.
  3.  @Theo   ... I may spelled that wrong. Leads iTrials starting at 10pm.

These events have been organized so they do not overlap or interfere with each other so you can participate in all of them if you wish. Though some nights it takes a bit to finish the last Hami Raid. Initially there was only the MSR and it is nice to have these additional options. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

/e poofgone

I want to thank Oklahoman and Confusion (may not be exact spelling, but you folks know who I mean)  These two lead serious Incarnate Trials and they do it with complete PUG crews.  They are both patient and accepting.  THey will accept anyone who qualifies for the trial, no matter that others have all sort of requirement for the same trials.  

Thank you both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Krow @Bearserker to name a few of my heroes. These guys are some of the most fun, and informative players I've ever had the opportunity to run and play with. I love joining their ITF's, TF's, MSR's and whatever other content I can jump into with my mains and my alts. Not only that, they are great with suggestions for build ideas, character ideas, and just love the game and it's community both overall. I look up to them both, as raid leaders and organizers for events, and think they are just overall really great people to play and hang out with in-game. I don't think there's an alt I've rolled that they HAVEN'T played with at least once or twice in the last few months.

@SolSoldier cause he's probably one of the most stubborn, but supportive players I've ever met, and yea, he puts up with me IRL, but he's one hell of a role-player and has kept me up nights, just pursuing a story line to see where things turn next. Pretty sure if he wrote a book, I'd buy first edition just cause I know he's a page turner for writing style and creativity both.

There's a lot more to add from the Everlasting shard, but I think they all know who they are. /Signed your favorite dragon, Crys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Couple shouts out to @Darmian and @Kyksie. These guys always run my AE arcs and provide valuable feedback (esp. Darm, the lore king, from whom no pesky typo escapes notice!):-) 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

The @VileTerror squad is always very helpful in game and tends to drive positive vibes even in some sectors where toxicity is more common like public channels. Not enough voices like that so definitely worthy of some praise.

@Veracor raids/trials are always a pleasure to join, certainly stands out as a great content leader.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Hew said:

I would like to shout out @Bionic_Flea for being unreasonably patient most days, and very willing to help out randos (and old people with short memories) on /h with great knowledge transfer!

I almost recognized *ic Flea myself, and was planning on getting him some props in the next couple of weeks! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Dark Dove said:

@Veracor raids/trials are always a pleasure to join, certainly stands out as a great content leader.

This guy's name is spoken of on every server as a great content leader. I keep meaning to visit Everlasting, but the last time I was there, he was doing a TPN, and I would hate to fall asleep as a visitor. (I do detest TPN. So much repetition)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Going to second @Veracor and @Bopper for their many contributions.  Some others that stand out to me (not a full list by any means) are those that provide their time to provide information about various ATs, powers, etc.

@Werner Werner rules challenges

@Bill Z Bubba Claws / SR advocate

@Infinitum Providing information and help on Tankers and Builds

@Croax Providing information and help on Stalkers

@Haijinx Providing information on Stalkers and other ATs

@oldskool Providing guidance on Sentinels

@Sir Myshkin Kicking off the proc monster threads / trends; awesome builds

@Frosticus Great Savage Melee guidance

@nihilii Crazy challenges and builds; proving Sentinels can solo TFs

There are many others, but just wanted to give some props to the ones that popped in my head first...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Up 3

My next in-game hero props would have gone to @Bionic_Flea, but someone already mentioned him. The dude is a vast storehouse of knowledge about CoH, and seems to almost always be around to answer questions - and most importantly, answer them correctly. And if he doesn't know - he very often knows how to find out, and will take the time to look it up. 

So, I will give props to @Peacock (in game handle. Not sure of his handle in the forums.) Peacock is a natural wizard at creating costumes. If he hasn't won, he's placed in any costume contest I'm aware of. It's a low bar, because I'm not into costumes as a rule. But it's more than that, he's super smart about a lot of different things, and has always made my game time more fun than it otherwise would be. There aren't many folks who would, or even could, create a gorilla costume, and share the file, and share how they came up with it in a matter of minutes. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can only back up what countless other people have already stated, and better.  My boys have run into some serious difficulties in the early stages of their careers, and the willingness of random population to say, "Sure, I'll lend a hand with that," has given me no end of joy and respect for the human condition.  Perhaps it's part of the game itself that provides inspiration for people to conduct themselves as the heroes they've taken the identity of; where the accumulation of xp and/or enhancements, influence, salvage or recipes is simply a sideline to getting to be, if in virtual form only and for a little while, the person they've always wanted to be.  Makes me think of the end of Kick-Ass 2, where, despite Justice Forever having been disbanded, that doesn't stop any of the members from continuing their lives as heroes.  And every act of charity/good will I witness in this game provides that much more inspiration to return it in Paragon City's world - which I've been able to do, every once in a while.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2021 at 6:01 AM, Dacy said:

What a wonderful topic, and thank you so much, Emmy! I love  @EmmySky, she contributes a lot to my Discord by way of comments and encouragement, along with a few other regular contributors, most notably @Easter Bunny, who is always ready to go see someone's base and give them encouragement!

I want to call out @VileTerror, who set up a Halloween giveaway last year, using several people as the faces of a giveaway that spanned all servers and gave away billions just for visiting bases, prompting and inspiring my Halloween base. I'm still giving away stuff from that!!

I also would name @Conventus (who apparently doesn't go by that here in the forums, or by his Discord handle) as someone who's helped me get literally hundreds of badges on my badger, and @agentx5 and @Vududawl for just being super friendly and opening up their Discord to just everyone to come team with them. And I'll name @Veracor, too; he set up the model for Hami runs and iTrials which give instructions so that even players who have zero clues can follow along with what they need to be doing, resulting in organized and effective runs that happen regularly.  I owe a lot of badges and merits to these events, and I've experienced and remember from Live some of these same events that were not run with instructions given, and the resulting chaos and confusion. I think we've gotten so used to it here that we rather take it for granted, and for him and his Everlasting TF helpers to show up all the time and put on these events on a regular schedule like they do is really helpful for the community, and quite the commitment. Same for the folks at Chaos United; they put on MSRs regularly and also regularly host events like trivia contests and the Everlasting Base Competitions, both of which give away influence and are, again, generally helpful. Thanks to all of these great people!

-Dacy

Oh Wow!  Thanks for the compliment @Dacy, I'm happy you found our little group and enjoy you teaming with us, truly.

Taking down +4/x8 against "impossible" things like Reichsman, Hamidon (in LGTF), etc with no deaths if possible is always a fun challenge, and I'm happy to protect my support teammates with all the pew-pew I can manage!

For me, although I was not here on "Live" or even knew about this game then, I have had some of the most fun with this game to the point it's kind of taken over on my weekly freetime.

I heard of this game (CoH) via a word-of-mouth referral from friends who had played Champions Online for years, but we had been unhappy since the On Alert patch turned it into power-creep, micro-transaction gambling "lockboxes", and vehicles.  It was heart breaking but one by one my gaming friends left that game, and the only thing truly keeping me there was my Xzianthia characters.  We first heard about the tragedy with NCSoft when many  "CoH Refugees" flocked to Champions Online.  Frankly, I've always been more of a shooter gamer since I was a kid, but I LOVED the customization that allowed me to make the heroes and heroines of Xzianthia.  It had never even occurred to me that there was game that Cryptic had copied & pasted most of their designs from, before CO ever existed.  As a fan of Minecraft as well, dated graphics don't bother me, as long as the gameplay is immersive and the people are fun to team with.  That has definitely been my experience here on HomeComing from day 1, when my long-time (more than a decade) shooter-gaming and fellow Champions Online buddy IIIXJokerXIII pulled me over here when his friend King/Telfucious mentioned that CoH had a revival on some fan-made rogue servers.  Friend of a friend, word of mouth.  Sure why not, I'll check it out.  It was a fateful and wonderfully correct choice that day.

Have never played CoH when it was "Live", I have to say I was immediately blown away with just HOW MUCH CONTENT this game had (something we begged and pleaded for on Champions Online) for years.  Not to mention it also had a great character creator (almost as good as Champion's, even though being much older), fully customizable bases (thanks to 0 prestige cost and some amazingly creative base artists/sculptors), and even a custom mission maker system called AE.  WOW!

Once I found my ideal powersets and archetype for my main hero, Alyssa Q'Uzixola, it was GG for I had set down roots -- and the rest of my cast of characters (heroes and villians) would follow, it was just a matter of time.

But then I got another pleasant surprise here:

THE COMMUNITY IS THE BEST I'VE EVER SEEN IN ANY GAME I'VE PLAYED!

No joke. I've been shooter-gamer most of my life, and let me tell you there is a LOT of toxic multiplayer crap out there -- you just kind of expect it, unfortunately.  "Get gud n00b", "Learn2Play", "QQ", "TryHard", etc etc etc... it's the norm.  Or so I thought...  Never even wanted to play WoW once I heard about some of the toxic BS going on there from some friends online & IRL that played it (wasn't really a fan of the art style either, but that's a minor dislike).

Seriously, just to illustrate this was my first experence:
First thing that happens when I play this game is get invited to a DFB with people on the team trying to help each other learn their new characters with helpful advice (rather than just whining that they were doing it wrong). 
Second thing that happens is somebody gives me 5 million influence, as a gift, just "welcome to the game and don't forget to talk to this P2W lady NPC over here to get a helpful travel power like Ninja Run".
Third thing that happens after a Positron #1 TF is that one person on the team is a level short of the minimum level for Positron #2 TF; rather than the team kicking that person off, I observed jaw-dropped as the ENTIRE TEAM READILY AGREED TO HELP THAT ONE PERSON GAIN THE MINIMUM LEVEL BEFORE STARTING THE MISSION!!!  Like what?!?!!  That would NOT have happened in any of the shooter gaming "communities" I've been a part of, I promise you.  Even CoH didn't have patience like that...

There are always a few bad apples, or people just having a bad day.  But it's few and far between in this game, like <1%.   The Discord group that has grown that @Dacy mentioned?  I met them all initially via random Pick-Up Groups out in the game, probably just from LFG.  They play well, seem nice, and before I know it a year later there's a little community at The @DawL House.  And then there's also Dacy's Discord and the Everlasting TF's Discord too, so yeah there's always somebody online

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

agentx5, thank you for being incredibly straight-forward and clear on these points; I could not agree more.  Frankly, I can't provide any personal evidence or examples to back up your points regarding the extremely hostile nature inherent to other MMPOGs - I can only state that, having heard of that sort of thing being the norm for person-to-person (or, more likely, group-to-person) conduct in a whole slew of other games, this is one reason why CoX is the only MMPOG I've ever played, and probably the only one I ever will.

All condolences on your Champions Online experience, although, again, I've heard of so many of these games being turned into micro-transaction fill-the-bank-vault experiences.  Wonderful to learn about your comradeship with the population here - and as stated previously, I honestly feel that it's part of the nature of the game itself that inspires people to conduct themselves this way - and hoping to get the chance to run into you on Torchbearer someday.  All best.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seriously good idea!  I love love love @EmmySky, she's the kindest, best person in COH and will do anything to help anyone.  And then there is @Dacywithout whom my sg base would be four walls and a bunch of porters/storage units.  Her base building videos are stellar and a true labor of love for our entire COH/V community.  I want to give a shout-out to @Marine X whose annual holiday giveaways inspire me every single year (give away at least a million in influence to any lowbies in AP).  While I haven't personally interacted with @Bionic_Flea, I want to second (or third or fourth) the nomination due to the detailed and truly wonderful help they provide in Help on Excelsior.  This is one truly committed community member who shines their light on all who are lucky enough to be on and have a question when the Flea is on.

There are so many awesome people that it's hard to just select a few, but I will say that I love love love @Apparition for his RWZ work and wonderful forum posts, and @Snarky for his fabulous insights and snark, heh, and @Infinitumfor being the most open and welcoming and truly heroic COH'er I've encountered.  The man will drop what he is doing to help you out and won't think twice about it. He's helped me out of more jams than I care to admit.  Although I don't know her, I also love @America's Angelpositivity and endless generosity with time and knowledge and kindness.

I could go on for ages, seriously.  We have so many awesome people that I can't even begin to do them all justice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2