Server down?

jaywashere

4 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

What better time to make a forum account than when the game you love to play mysteriously shuts off and you're wondering what's going on?

I cloned my computer's hard drive that has COH on it and installed the new cloned hard drive a couple days ago.  Yesterday was the first time playing COH with the new drive. Within a few minutes of logging in, the server problems started happening. For longer than I care to admit, it had me thinking the new hard drive was the problem. 

I figured it had to be a random tech problem of some kind because only an evil villain would schedule a server update right when Mastermind Monday was supposed to start.

59 minutes ago, Pouncy said:

Pouncy's Paw Patrol permanently pulverized  punks perpetrating purse pillaging perhaps is the purpose of the problem? 8Þ

Perhaps Pedestrian Protocols Possibly Produced Previous Particularly Problematic Predicament Passed on to Panicking Public Players Pining  to Participate in a Pleasant Playing Place, Perchance!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MishaFox said:

I still have my old 2600 baud modem - would that help?   😉

Since it's the only 2600 baud modem in the world, probably not.

(I think you meant 2400... and even I don't have one of those around any more!)

• Haha 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

22 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Since it's the only 2600 baud modem in the world, probably not.

(I think you meant 2400... and even I don't have one of those around any more!)

Probably got that ancient console game system mixed up with the ancient telecomputing tech.  Too much archaic numbered crap out there.

New update on Discord:

Telephone — Today at 12:13 PM
Update: We're still waiting on a reply from OVH. In the meantime, we've got an alternate overlay networking technology we're working on setting up as a backup to vRack until the issue is fixed. We've just completed our first connection with it and are now in the process of rolling it out to our cluster.

OVH support doesn't seem that great.

• Like 1

The number 2600 also has other resonances for older folks, with certain hobbies...

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 minutes ago, usshathaway5 said:

I guess this is what happens when you "cheap out" on servers...hopefully this doesn't become the norm.  

This hasn't happened in the two years I have been playing on the Homecoming servers. I definitely isn't the norm and it is not something that the Homecoming team has any control over. The fact that you used quotes around 'cheap out,' makes me think you are implying that there is a lack of diligence on behalf of the Homecoming team, which is wholly inaccurate. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

12 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

The number 2600 also has other resonances for older folks, with certain hobbies...

Now that hertz.

• Haha 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 minutes ago, usshathaway5 said:

I guess this is what happens when you "cheap out" on servers...hopefully this doesn't become the norm.  

So how many cycles have you contributed to? Not many, I'd guess, since you aren't clued enough to know that this is one community and set of GMs you don't talk at out of your nether portal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Since gaming still isn't yet an option, I shall now latibulate on my day off.

Sooo... are you latibulating when hiding from a server outage, or when hiding in a vast fictional shared world? 😄

« Telephone — Today at 12:13 PM »
Does someone know in what timezone is that 12:13 PM ?
Just to have an idea of the time this process is taking place.

Keep going, Homecoming team !

(Take heart, folks suffering a withdrawal ! :o)

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, usshathaway5 said:

This is the first major outage in the two years HC has been around.  Would you rather go back to the seven years of no game at all?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shenanigunner said:

Sooo... are you latibulating when hiding from a server outage, or when hiding in a vast fictional shared world? 😄

I'm latibulating BECAUSE I don't have my vast fictional shared world to escape into.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jactari said:

« Telephone — Today at 12:13 PM »
Does someone know in what timezone is that 12:13 PM ?
Just to have an idea of the time this process is taking place.

Keep going, Homecoming team !

(Take heart, folks suffering a withdrawal ! 🐵

I just woke up a bit ago and saw Telephones new post.

More than likely its EST.

The only time zone that really matters in the U.S 🙂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Zapped said:

More than likely its EST.

The only time zone that really matters in the U.S 🙂

1) to NYT readers, maybe.

2) aren't the servers up in Canuckistan, anyway?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Apparition said:

we've got an alternate overlay networking technology we're working on setting up as a backup to vRack until the issue is fixed.

So that makes more sense, wondered how Reunion was affected by something at OVH Canada, the failure was in the inter-connectivity of the servers.

Since they all share certain assets ( auction house, global chat, map servers ) that would be a killer for sure, STOOPID VRACK. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

The quotes wasn't to imply that the GM's lacked diligence.  I am very grateful to all they have done and continue to do to maintain and expand what we have after 7 years of no game at all.  "Cheap out" means that in an attempt to save money, new problems were created.  It happens all the time when any company or organization tries to save money by moving to "virtual servers".  I'm just frustrated.  I took the day off because I was frustrated and burned out at work and now this.  I am thankful to the GMs and the community.  

• Thumbs Up 2