What do consider “Soloing AVs” to mean?

44 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Anecdotally, soloing to me will depend on the AV I'm facing and the character I face it with. 

Vandal, Clamor, Burkholder, Arakhn, Jurrasik, Hopkins, Countess Crey, Clockwork King, Dr. Vahz - these are all just bags of HP. I remember against Dr. Vahz, my rad/stone tank simply could not do enough damage (pre-tank changes) to Vahz, despite Envenomed Daggers and large reds. Just couldn't kill him. But my blasters, corruptors, brutes, scrappers have no issues with any of these. 

To be fully transparent, I always have envenomed dagger, and a ranged summons for my melee characters and a tank summons for my ranged characters. I don't always use either, but if I need them, I use them. With the tank, I tried to forgo use of these, but no dice. Rolled out the echo version of positron and beat Vahz pretty quickly. 

Yesterday, I took my fire/ice tank and solo'd all three blue side respec trials without use of lores or summons. But I did use 24 reds, particularly against the freaks, as they tend to rez when you'd prefer they not. No AV, but plenty of mobs and a reactor to keep healthy (enough). 

I am what you would call team averse most of the time. The idea of recruiting a team for killing heroes in Recluse's Victory for badges..that would just invite bored pvpers to grief me, so I am reluctant to recruit for that, so I will always try to solo those first. I remember, using the in-zone hvas, plus my lore pets, I got through all the AVs except Positron with my first blaster. I just couldn't get him without getting killed! My stats were great for pve, but in PvP, for some stupid reason, the old school devs changed things up and ruined any desire I ever had for pvp. But I digress. 
I had a knight errant, a shivan, clockwork gears, a Tsoo, a werewolf, katie hannon emp temp, an HVAS (rwz/msr), lore pets and the zone heavy and only just barely beat Positron. The only temp that was left was the Knight Errant if you can believe that. Which is crazy because on Red side, I solo Positron and he's fairly simple with a luck or two. 

Anecdotally, those AVs can be defeated by pulling them close to hero/villain bases. Lots of npcs spawning to assist in damage and aggro.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I solo'd AVs (all of them) pre-incarnate with my dark defender and i got a LOT of flak because sometimes i used temp powers...but the fact is i did solo them with what was in the game...

A dark defender does not do a lot of damage so against Mary McComber i brought in a Shivan and against Rommy i brought in Longbow Cataphract and Vanguard HVAC to compensate.

Do not listen to people who say dont use this or that its silly...for example:

Your not a real Stone tank without your Granite Armor! Let's see you take Lord Recluse without it!!!

(the reason for the above quote was because i took out AVs without Tar Patch and "experts" said it was my most important power...it's all a matter of playstyle...i proved that...tar patch makes enemies scatter and run so you have to chase them and for the minor defence debuff your still better off popping 4 reds and yellows then setting off a Blackstar beside them...yes Lord Stryker you are correct Tar Patch is fantastic to aid a team...but we are talking about soloing here)

Players were happy to call me to face an AV because they knew i could defeat it even when a team could not...simply because i came prepared...and thats the bottom line 🙂

Felicia Divine - Dark Defender - AV KIller

Edited by FeliciaDivine

11 minutes ago, FeliciaDivine said:

I solo'd AVs (all of them) pre-incarnate with my dark defender and i got a LOT of flak because sometimes i used temp powers...but the fact is i did solo them with what was in the game...

A dark defender does not do a lot of damage so against Mary McComber i brought in a Shivan and against Rommy i brought in Longbow Cataphract and Vanguard HVAC to compensate.

Do not listen to people who say dont use this or that its silly...for example:

Your not a real Stone tank without your Granite Armor! Let's see you take Lord Recluse without it!!!

(the reason for the above quote was because i took out AVs without Tar Patch and "experts" said it was my most important power...it's all a matter of playstyle...i proved that...tar patch makes enemies scatter and run so you have to chase them and for the minor defence debuff your still better off popping 4 reds and yellows then setting off a Blackstar beside them)

Players were happy to call me to face an AV because they knew i could defeat it even when a team could not...simply because i came prepared...and thats the bottom line 🙂

Felicia Divine - Dark Defender - AV KIller

Sounds like they just needed someone with temp powers 😉

• Haha 3

Funny...still the temp powers covered my builds weaknesses but its not what makes it an AV Killer...combination of defence, offence and in my case - to hit debuff from Darkest Night that makes the difference...and i had Phase Shift so i wasnt killed easily...STRATEGY is what makes an AV Killer

(ok used to make an AV Killer now with Incarnates anyone can do it)

Edited by FeliciaDivine

5 minutes ago, FeliciaDivine said:

Funny...still the temp powers covered my builds weaknesses but its not what makes it an AV Killer...combination of defence, offence and in my case - to hit debuff from Darkest Night that makes the difference...and i had Phase Shift so i wasnt killed easily...strategy is what makes an AV Killer

If the temp powers don’t make it an AV killer, then go forth and solo one with no temp powers and report back.

EDIT: you also said nothing about the level of the AV.

Edited by arcane

You mis-read some of that...i said...."sometimes" i used temp powers...i did solo most of the AVs without temp powers but some gave me a lot of trouble so i found a way to beat them using temp powers and that was before incarnates came out...and we are again back to the...lets see you not use such and such...

I could instead just use a Stone or Ice Tank back in the day to solo like most players did?

But i loved my character and made her efficient when people said it could not be done!

Could i solo Ghost Widow, Scirocco, Black Scorpion, Mako and Lord Recluse in RV? YES! Thats how i got the Cataphract to take out Rommy in the first place!!!

Edited by FeliciaDivine

1 minute ago, FeliciaDivine said:

You mis-read some of that...i said...."sometimes" i used temp powers...i did solo most of the AVs without temp powers but some gave me a lot of trouble so i found a way to beat them using temp powers and that was before incarnates came out...and we are again back to the...lets see you not use such and such...

I could instead just use a Stone or Ice Tank back in the day to solo like most players did?

But i loved my character and made her efficient when people said it could not be done!

Could i solo Ghost Widow, Scirocco, Black Scorpion, Mako and Lord Recluse in RV? YES! Thats how i got the Cataphract to take out Rommy in the first place!!!

If you’re going to brag about what an OP AV killer you are, you’re going to get asked about the circumstances. Anything short of level 54, no temps, and no email insps is pretty meaningless. I don’t care how you want to solo AV’s, but don’t brag about the training wheels stuff.

• Like 1

The point is to have the right combination of powers...and if your characters lacks some of them then find ingame items to assist...its not the Temp Powers that makes the AV Killer...its bringing what you need to the battle that counts...know your opponents weaknesses and strengths and prepare accordingly

Just now, FeliciaDivine said:

The point is to have the right combination of powers...and if your characters lacks some of them then find ingame items to assist...its not the Temp Powers that makes the AV Killer...its bringing what you need to the battle that counts...know your opponents weaknesses and strengths and prepare accordingly

Yeah, you said that already. I don’t agree that you’re an AV killer if your build can’t handle the job without outside help.

• Like 1

Thats fine Arcane...someone listening to you wont be able to do it...but listening to me they can succeed...i still can kill AVs so i will keep saying i am an AV Killer and people will call on me for help...and thats the bottom line 🙂

A 50+4 Dominator with envenomed daggers can still fail against Romulus but i can beat him with a 50+0 Defender with a Cataphract and HVAC...you can see the difference temp powers have if your not using the right powers for the right enemy.

Back to personal style...almost everyone is better using a Tank/Brute/Scrapper/Stalker but thats not my style...

Tar Patch is a must at low level for Dark Defenders...i am an exception to the rules...

You need to play and find your own style...see what works for you and what doesnt...everyones advice is just that...advice...

Only You Know What's Best For You!

Best advice ever given...Try Everything

Edited by FeliciaDivine

4 minutes ago, FeliciaDivine said:

Thats fine Arcane...someone listening to you wont be able to do it...but listening to me they can succeed...i still can kill AVs so i will keep saying i am an AV Killer and people will call on me for help...and thats the bottom line 🙂

A 50+4 Dominator with envenomed daggers can still fail against Romulus but i can beat him with a 50+0 Defender with a Cataphract and HVAC...you can see the difference temp powers have if your not using the right powers for the right enemy.

That’s just fine. Do what you enjoy. My point was more that you came here declaring yourself to be the neighborhood badass whilst not doing anything particularly hard.

I find soloing AVs to be sort of a drag due to how long it takes compared to playing as a team, but when I do it, I do it just to see how capable my build is. So for me, temporary powers aren’t part of the equation. I did solo the master of ITF badge on my favorite defender (+1 enemies, nothing crazy), so I’m satisfied. 

Edited by Jitsurei
Wording

I mean, why solo 1 AV, when you can solo all the AVs!

There's a handful of V side missions where you can face multiple AVs either all at once, or in quick succession. I love missions like that, where you have multiple big bads, and you need to come out on top.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

There's a handful of V side missions where you can face multiple AVs either all at once, or in quick succession. I love missions like that, where you have multiple big bads, and you need to come out on top.

It's actually a great reason to solo Synapse!

"There was an AV in my way and I removed it without help from any teammates."

I don't really get into the "+X, no insp, no temps, no using your Alt key and you have to have a patch over your left eye or it doesn't count" forum bragging mini-game. There was an enemy blocking my path. I'm standing. He's not. Job's done. I'm off to collect my rewards.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

Old SG, old AE. The person (for once, not me) who tested it had everything spawn correctly, mission went as planned.

When SG Team 2 went in (yes, we had multi-team AEs, multiple AE missions that were simultaneous for the storyline - a lot of fun, but a pain to do the writing for, long term) they ended up with a spawn of 10 AVs.

... took a while, but they *did* finally beat them. (Not solo, but still.)

No, I don't have that AE mission, sorry. Long ago and far away. Plus I was (surprisingly) not the author. 🙂

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Just your character against an AV, AV drops, you don't, anything goes.

But everyone has their own personal style or restrictions. For me, that's usually +4, no temps, no insps, no Lore. But I've occasionally used Lore, and my main (SD/MA Tanker) usually walks around with all the P2W amplifiers running. They last for 8 hours, the game doesn't consider them temporary powers, and influence falls like rain, so I treat them like part of my build. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that, but I think the important thing is honesty. "Hello. I'm Werner. I'm a filthy amplifier user." 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I solo the AV with what I have on me. If he beats me, I rage quit, log off. Then I brood for 3 days until I can autocomplete the mission. I consider that a win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

20 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

I solo the AV with what I have on me. If he beats me, I rage quit, log off. Then I brood for 3 days until I can autocomplete the mission. I consider that a win.

Don't forget about doing other missions until you level a few times.  Soloing +4 AVs is a snap if you've leveled five times since you took the mission.

• Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 6/25/2021 at 10:56 AM, FeliciaDivine said:

Here is where strategy comes in...Problem with Rommy...when he rezzes your stunned and he takes you out...

Solution! Cataphract and HVAC does a lot of damage but one of those bots has 90% Stun Resistance!

If you break line of sight as soon as he dies you don't get stunned.   That's where strategy comes in.

(Unless you rely on defense so you have to take out the autohit fluffy first and then find out that it's actually the fluffy's death that stuns, not Romy's rez, and another attempt to solo MoITF down the drain.)

On 6/25/2021 at 5:00 PM, Werner said:

"Hello. I'm Werner. I'm a filthy amplifier user." 😉

You should ALWAYS thoroughly wash your amplifiers before using them. Every hero lost to unsanitary amplifier usage is just one more completely avoidable tragedy...