What are your favorite things about Sentinels?

Galaxy Brain

I learned the ropes with a Sent. To me they were very forgiving with more than enough armour to be a cock-block between you and the nurse. (I remember my noobish self trying out other ATs for the first time and being more than first-name basis with the med bay staff... she was about to introduce me to her parents). And with Old Skool and Sunsette's help, I learned the rest of the game.

From there, my play style morphed from a "hover-blaster with extra padding" to a non-hovering hover blaster, to an actual blaster and finally a blapper. Them tanky-rangey ones will always have a place in my heart. 😃

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

This is all true for a sentinel that fights in melee range but as soon as it goes into hover mode, its durability skyrockets as the amount if incoming damage plummets. Its damage output, of course, never catches up to its melee cousins.

Yes a Hover Sentinel is pretty tough :). Depends on what they are fighting and where though.

Sentinel is ok, but it could be better than it is.  I just think it is too handicapped. I would rather play a Veat or PB or even a Corruptor, they are more interesting.

1-50 is quite fun as you can blast and are quite resilient but get to end game and the reduced targets and mediocre damage just don't do it for me. I can do so much more and have more fun on other AT's.

They can solo ok though....just not as good as some other AT's. But then we have seen Blasters solo +4x8 ITF 😛

2 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

But then we have seen Blasters solo +4x8 ITF 😛

yea... but how many are doing without faceplanting or chugging insps?

2 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

Sentinel is ok, but it could be better than it is.  I just think it is too handicapped.

Agreed, actually. Being fire/bio does help gloss over things. I'm on an ice/sr sent right now in an ITF.... low damage is noticeable. Course... she was also 36 going in.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

yea... but how many are doing without faceplanting or chugging insps?

Agreed, actually. Being fire/bio does help gloss over things. I'm on an ice/sr sent right now in an ITF.... low damage is noticeable. Course... she was also 36 going in.

I've seen video of at least one blaster doing it Master style. I'm still not sure how often that gets done among players though.

I liked my Fire/ea although he vastly sits at 43. I'll get him to 50 at some point. I think my biggest issue with the AT is it lacks an identity. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I like the AT, even though it does underwhelm when compared to other combat-oriented AT's.  I feel it needs a bit more range (more than it has presently, but still less than a blaster, of course.  Maybe in the 70-80 range) and a bit more damage (again, not as much as a blaster, scrapper, stalker.   Close to- but just a hair under- a Brute, maybe).  You could also tweak the damage aspect by just buffing the signature AT ability a lot.  That might actually be the best way to go.

I like the class, though.  It fits a lot of my character concepts and I do play it.  It just needs a little work to make it as appealing as the other combat AT's, is all.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, underfyre said:

And clearly missed the topic of this thread. Just as you did. Pick your head up and look for a silver lining, without making it a shit sandwich,

I didn't.

I just think posts like this give the false impression everything is hunky dory, especially to new players, when it clearly isn't. 

Turd and polish spring to mind.

5 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

I didn't.

I just think posts like this give the false impression everything is hunky dory, especially to new players, when it clearly isn't. 

Turd and polish spring to mind.

You could equally have kept it to yourself. It isn't like those of us that offer advice about the AT are trying to gaslight people into thinking it is something it isn't. 

There is really nothing more worth talking about with your post. You said it. Its done. It wasn't as clever or original as you may have thought. 

For everyone else, just drop it and move on if you can. Do we really need more threads spiraling out of control where we just end up being assholes to each other? I don't think so. Drop it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, oldskool said:

You could equally have kept it to yourself. It isn't like those of us that offer advice about the AT are trying to gaslight people into thinking it is something it isn't. 

There is really nothing more worth talking about with your post. You said it. Its done. It wasn't as clever or original as you may have thought. 

For everyone else, just drop it and move on if you can. Do we really need more threads spiraling out of control where we just end up being assholes to each other? I don't think so. Drop it.

ok Dad.

It wasn't meant to be clever or original, i think you know that though.

I had my input and people will always have different opinions. I will respond to posts though without being too much of an asshole :P. It seems people want to keep replying to the post lol.

But i do think the class needs a lot more work and should not be glossed over so maybe just drop that also. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

ok Dad.

It wasn't meant to be clever or original, i think you know that though.

I had my input and people will always have different opinions. I will respond to posts though without being too much of an asshole :P. It seems people want to keep replying to the post lol.

But i do think the class needs a lot more work and should not be glossed over so maybe just drop that also. 

Fire up a new thread to air your grievances.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, underfyre said:

Fire up a new thread to air your grievances.

Funny thing is i only did one small original post. No big deal really. but people just want to take it further and further, even to the point of being insulting.

I don't think i was out of order as i was just furthering what previous posts had said, so i didn't think it was out of place as they were tolerated. There is no law to say i can not post here or i must agree with this thread if i am to post at all.

The second post was meant as a joke really as i thought @underfyre was being funny also. 

The thread itself serves no actual purpose anyway. So what is the big deal if i have an opinion? just give a thumbs up or down. That is as far as it should have gone really.

The tolerance of a different opinion in this thread is the problem. This is not the first post in this thread to criticize the class, so why gang up on me?

Basically agree with us or get the F**K out!

Blown out of proportion as usual lol.

• Thumbs Down 1

28 minutes ago, Gobbledegook said:

This is not the first post in this thread to criticize the class, so why gang up on me?

Off. Topic. Literally the only reason I care. Read the title of the thread. Like I said, if you want to fire up a "Why do Sentinels suck so much?" thread, there's nothing stopping you and plenty of people will join in, but it's also a song that everyone has already sung. To no avail. fixing Sentinels is like item number 1000 of 1000 on the list.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

27 minutes ago, underfyre said:

Off. Topic. Literally the only reason I care. Read the title of the thread. Like I said, if you want to fire up a "Why do Sentinels suck so much?" thread, there's nothing stopping you and plenty of people will join in, but it's also a song that everyone has already sung. To no avail. fixing Sentinels is like item number 1000 of 1000 on the list.

But why now? why did you not grief the earlier posts with similar views??

Why do you feel the need to post and not just give a thumbs down and let that be the end of it?

Is the post the problem or is your tolerance? You do seem quite angry.

With threads like this they will be 1000 of 1000 on the list.

Edited by Gobbledegook

When I first started homecoming I was pretty excited about sentinels. However, I also started playing blasters as well as I didn’t play blasters on live. 

To me the damage difference between the two was very noticeable. I teamed a lot so I wasn’t as concerned with survivability. So I dropped sentinels for a good while and played a bunch of blasters. 

Several months later I decided to give sentinels another go. I got two to 50, fully IO’d with all the goodies, and incarnated them.  One was a beam rifle/energy aura and the other was a fire/bio. 

The beam rifle/energy aura is extremely survivable. No issues whatsoever soloing pretty much anything other than super heavy psi or toxic damage. The survivability increase over any of my blasters is night and day. Yes, the blasters still do more damage, but the br/ea sentinel still cleared maps fairly quickly and was a lot of fun. 

That said, the fire/bio sentinel was what really made the difference for me. Not quite as tough as the br/ea sentinel, but still certainly tougher than blasters. However, I was actually very impressed with the damage output of this sentinel. Yes, blasters still do more, but as I played this sentinel I never once thought “man I wish this did more damage.”  I have found that when I want to play a ranged character I will now almost always play this fire/bio sentinel over any of my blasters. 

The thing I like best about sentinels is the fact that I don’t have to chase mobs and get into melee range, but I also don’t have to worry about mez or survivability. To me, sentinels are the most relaxing AT to play because they have more flexibility than other ATs due to their combination of range and armor.  So when I just want to kick back I’ll hop on one of my sentinels. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Best thing about Sentinels? Build up and Nuke up every spawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

• 2 weeks later
On 12/14/2021 at 3:19 AM, Zepp said:

Best thing about Sentinels? Build up and Nuke up every spawn.

I know, right? 

Like, this makes me wonder how people believe that their melee toons do "far" more damage then a properly built and played Sentinel.  Nukes can be a huge amount of your overall DPS/DPA.  Moreover, the area effect on most melee AOEs is far smaller.  On teams (Not so much solo play) my Mace/Shield scrapper will struggle much more to hit large number of NPCs unless they're some mob type that really likes to melee you.  If they didn't have Shield Charge, the damage output, compared to one of my Sentinels, would be awful in most team settings.

And only some combinations of melee toons have comparable nukes to Sentinels.  And Sentinel's average AOEs also have much better area of affect.  So, it's much easier to hit the target caps on Sentinel AOE powers verse any of the standard melee ones.  Tankers are a bit of an exception here due to the various buffs they got recently.

That's not to say that Sents couldn't use some tweaks, for sure.  I certainly have my own opinions on how they should be buffed, much like anyone else here.  But I feel a lot of issues people have with them is that they're playing them like armored Blasters, and not Scrappers with range.  Those T9 nukes are not emergency buttons, or to be used 'once in a while'.  They should be used as an alpha strike as much as humanly possible.  If that means being in melee range to do it, then you should.

4 hours ago, Teirusu said:

Like, this makes me wonder how people believe that their melee toons do "far" more damage then a properly built and played Sentinel. Nukes can be a huge amount of your overall DPS/DPA.

Scrapper Claws Spin Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 9.2 Seconds

Scrapper Claws Shockwave Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 12.1 Seconds

Sentinel Fire Blast Fireball Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 16 seconds

Sentinel Fire Blast Inferno Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 90 seconds

That's why.

Edit: Well, that and how criticals dish out vastly more damage than opportunity. And I'm 99% sure that my fire/bio sent isn't built or played incorrectly.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Scrapper Claws Spin Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 9.2 Seconds

Scrapper Claws Shockwave Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 12.1 Seconds

Sentinel Fire Blast Fireball Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 16 seconds

Sentinel Fire Blast Inferno Max Targets = 10 Base Recharge = 90 seconds

That's why.

Edit: Well, that and how criticals dish out vastly more damage than opportunity. And I'm 99% sure that my fire/bio sent isn't built or played incorrectly.

However, Scrappers have to spend time getting into position to attack their targets (or chasing them down) where Sentinels can just shoot them.  

(This is why I quit playing Scrappers.  All too often my target would die before I could get an attack off, and I spend a ton of time moving.)

2 hours ago, Mack008 said:

However, Scrappers have to spend time getting into position to attack their targets (or chasing them down) where Sentinels can just shoot them.  

(This is why I quit playing Scrappers.  All too often my target would die before I could get an attack off, and I spend a ton of time moving.)

I get the idea, but in running/timing vetlvls/hr, my claws/sr scrapper (a middle of the road primary and a non-damage buffing secondary,) clears max diff DA repeatable missions FAR faster than my fire/bio sent, arguably the sent combo with the highest damage output. Course, the fact that the scrapper is a grounder with sprint on all the time while the sent hovers may also play a role.

Edit: I don't want anyone to get me wrong... I *love* my fire/bio sent. He's a tankmage that only faceplants when I completely stop paying attention.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later

I personally love about them is how resilient they can be  while doing damage from afar ...

I find blasters not to my liking as I dislike the glass cannon trope, bu sents are the best middle point , ranged damage, easy target selection with alt tab and you just focusing on shooting avoiding any melee but if things go wrong ... you can take a decent beating before going down.

When I faceplant as a sentinel it is because I am singled out on taskforce because the tanks and brutes are not doing their jobs or are down as well , so I find that satisfying.

As a blaster getting the attention for a brief moment of a group of mobs means I have to sharpen up, get out, spam eat insps and just ... not cool or relaxing to me.

As a sent it is much easier and forgivable to play and laze around as I am usually either watching something on tv or talking to family as I play.

It is ... relaxing?

So far I have 3 sents, 2 at 50 fully kitted and currently leveling a third one , so far my fav is my weird super fun AR/Regen sent, which is the lowest damage possible with the less favorable secondary powerset combo ... but its super relaxing as I built it to just laze around and it works wonders.

If my third Dark/Dark sent does not work out, I will simply go back to create a 4th.

I have a level 50 brute, 50 blaster, 50 corruptor and a 50 defender ... the brute and corruptor can literally solo +4x8 farms (S/L and Fire) and the only ones I am playing having fun right now is my AR/Regen sent hehe.

Sents are just too much fun!

I think sents are a great addition to any group and can solo somewhat, but they shine in group missions and tfs which is the content I enjoy most, specially low level TFs like Posi and they add a bit of everything to all groups.

Edited by Destruye Arepas YV
  • Like 3

---------------------------------------

From Venezuela with Love!

---------------------------------------

• 2 months later

I like Sentinels. I suck at building characters currently and I suffer from severe altitis. I mostly play characters for theme and fun, so whatever AT fits into with. The less damage for Sentinels doesn't bother me when you get mezz protection and more survivability with armors. 

I don't hate blasters but I do struggle with them myself. Never understood the glass cannon blapper melee play style CoX and HC pushes with them. I have a couple I play and they are good(Icex3 and beam/devices). Very high risk/high reward butt puckering floor eating debt badge getting hospital visiting rezz needing run away again AT. 

I like Sentinels for range and armor and less attacks to have to manage and choose from. A more relaxed play style and feel for me. And I do like the variety of powers in Epoc sets that can add a uniqueness to each Sentinel.

I will say that I DO NOT like how some blast sets have melee nukes, on any AT. It's one of my biggest gripes/pet peeves with CoX. For me it F's up character themes/RP and gameplay to force you into melee. And on sets like Dark or Sonic that are cone heavy I really don't like them. Rant over. 

For the sentinel bashers and naysayers I don't care and many others don't as well. Stop your damn whining and stop trying to force your likes and dislikes on everyone else . It's all about Fun. Being a game and all you know. Play what you like, offer constructive criticism, state your opinion and realize it's just that, YOUR opinion. And again, it's a game so have fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1