What are your favorite things about Sentinels?

Galaxy Brain

On 12/25/2021 at 9:29 AM, Mack008 said:

However, Scrappers have to spend time getting into position to attack their targets (or chasing them down) where Sentinels can just shoot them.  

(This is why I quit playing Scrappers.  All too often my target would die before I could get an attack off, and I spend a ton of time moving.)

Have you heard of our lord and savior, Combat Teleport?

Resident certified baby

I think my favorite thing about them is that they, to me, really symbolize the "character concept > [            ]" philosophy I subscribe to. Or, rather Vanity. Rules. Everything

Say I wanna make a cowboy gunslinger, call him Hona Jex. I could make Jex a dual pistols blaster, maybe pick up their traps or whatever they call it. Then I get my cowboy... but he's also got exploding drones, net grenades, claymore mines, a flying fucking minigun friend... but, all I wanted was a cowboy. So... ok! How about a defender. I can be like... an Empathy? Cowboy? TIIIIME cowboy? Corruptor? That's kinda just like... Defender but reverse, I get the same choices...

I could, absolutely, make any excuse I need to let Jex have whatever powers these classes would give him that I don't really think he would have.

Or...

I could play a Dual Pistol/Super Reflexes sentinel. All the cowboy, none of the NOT cowboy.

• Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

• 2 weeks later

I'm not 100% sure what I like best about sentinels but I recently started a Beam Rifle/Super Reflexes one and it's some of the most fun I've had in City of Heroes. Not my first 50, but this character quickly became the closest thing to a main I've had. I have played a Water/Bio sentinel previously but that vharacter never really took off. 

First I like Beam Rifle, but I like BR on my BR/Temp blaster as well, and that character is fun but not this fun. The survivability of sentinel /SR is a big part of it. Toggle status protection and a clicky absorb is nice, even though I am that guy that likes clicky status protection. I really like that absorb heal combined with defensive opportunity. Opportunity might not work great with some secondaries but an extra 40-ish hp/sec plus endurance boost on a /SR toon is nothing to sneeze at. It's nice to hit a big target with it but just having it active is pretty huge.

Round out with the psi melee attack and the psi PBAoE and I'm happy, and I even took those for concept reasons with no idea if they were good.

I guess it boils down to being hardy enough not to have to set things up or anything. Nuke is up every 22 seconds or so and that's usually enough to mop up if I'm not on +4. It's not quite the melee experience, but it's close and I get to shoot people with an FGMP-15 and mind bullets.

• Like 1