Interest of some powersets

Blyzzard

Hi, I was thinking about some power lines while playing my beam rifle character.
 There are powersets that are not used much or very little in game.
For example: 
Beam rifle
Psionic melee
Kinetic melee
Titan weapons
This is what I noticed when I was playing.
But for the Beam rifle set, although I like my character, I noticed that I never play it for very long.
For a simple and good reason, I have the impression that this set lacks power and visually I get bored quickly (it is difficult to explain ^^). I used a mod to change the sound and it's better but something is missing.
I created a Psionic melee character but it's worse I found no interest in it. However I said to myself "hop I try something else" but visually and to play I found that without interest.
I had the same problem with kinetic melee except that I found the animations too long. My teammates had launched 3 attacks that my character finished only his first attack.

Do you have this kind of thoughts about some powersets?
Do you think they need to be modified?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Like 1

Kinetic melee is definitely a thing people avoid. Psionic melee is kind of like, a stalker thing. The rest there, Titanic Weapons, Beam Rifle have more players than you might think, but it has fewer than they should because they are both driven by mechanics people don't like to mess with. BR for instance can be tweaked to do A LOT of damage _if you order your attack powers in a specific way to maximize disintegrate_. If you don't, its ok, it can be colored very pretty, its got neat guns, but it isn't fire or ice blast.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinetic melee is ... odd. Could never get into it. (In part due to look, in part due to sound... I can't help but call it Nascar melee.)

*shrug*

Not sure about beam rifle. I've got one or two, it's just ... eh. Not really connecting with the character.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have a beam rifle sentinel.  The animations "seem" to take forever.  I'm almost level 50 on it so I'll stick with it one more level.   @Hew  What order should I use to maximize disentegrate? After about 2 missions I feel like I'm dozing off.  I even made the toon look like the cyclone armor from Robotech. Well as close as I could get it.  It's a BR/SR sentinel level 49.

Kinetic Melee I like.  The first 3 powers do as much damage as the big hitter and together they animate at roughly the same time length as the big hitter.  Weird but cool.  You basically don't really need to use that big animation time attack.   Additionally one of them looks like you are breaking spines when the enemy turns to run.   It's hilarious.   Palm strike to the spine. Just brutal!   It cracks me up Everytime.

51 minutes ago, SmalltalkJava said:

What order should I use to maximize disentegrate? After about 2 missions I feel like I'm dozing off.

Web things if you can, disintegrate a hard target, lancer shot (100% disintegrate spread) or fast snipe (55% disintegrate spread) the target, tag something else disintegrating with charged shot (39%), nuke or spread, repeat.

You ALWAYS start with disintegrate, then you ALWAYS follow up with a high disint chance power on the same target. This causes lots of spread, which then can spread some more when you target other mobs that got splashed. The use of the aoe cone has no chance for disin spread, so really, thats a mopup power, not a primary power. Disintegrate is 100% your primary power, and maximizing the leverage of your 2.5 useful spreaders.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, SmalltalkJava said:

The first 3 powers do as much damage as the big hitter and together they animate at roughly the same time length as the big hitter.  Weird but cool.  You basically don't really need to use that big animation time attack.  

Yes, just rapid fire those and there’s no need for Concentrated Strike (unless you want it on a Stalker for Build Up recharge chance). While those three come in handy for building stacks of Power Siphon, it would be nice if Repulsing Torrent and Focused Burst animated a tad faster.

24 minutes ago, MrAxe said:

I teamed with a kinetic melee yesterday for what felt like the first time. All I kept thinking was 'that looks reeeeally weird'.

Try out Solarverse’s sound Mod and it sounds closer to magic than NASCAR windup.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

KinMelee is a very nice and very underrated set for Stalkers.

'Gets a real build-up instead of the gimmicky substitute that Tanks, Brutes and Scrappers are stuck with. It hits like a sack of bricks, and Burst straight out of Hide is just good fun.

ETA: If you're really curious how rare or common certain sets are, Blyz, have a look at this. It's a bit over a year old now, but it's an interesting snapshot of what's been built character-wise, and what gets played to 50.

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I think I can touch on all your issues and tell you the truth and maybe give you some reassurances.  I tried a psy melee scrapper and every time I thought I was close to getting somewhere, I'd have to fight a bunch of robots and that didn't go well at all.  I finally gave up and vowed never to try psy melee again.

My beam/rad sent is very fun to play in groups, not so much solo.  Don't get hung up on the numbers blasters put up, it'll make you question yourself.  Your mates will notice you and your efforts not because of your damage numbers, but how your -dmgres makes their numbers higher.

Animation times for kinetic melee used to be longer than they are now if you can imagine.  I love the aoe crits more than single target.  KM is very good on end.  I paired it with /regen on a scrapper and I was even able to add a couple ranged  attacks so i'm not always chasing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lusiphur Malache said:

I think I can touch on all your issues and tell you the truth and maybe give you some reassurances.  I tried a psy melee scrapper and every time I thought I was close to getting somewhere, I'd have to fight a bunch of robots and that didn't go well at all.  I finally gave up and vowed never to try psy melee again.

My beam/rad sent is very fun to play in groups, not so much solo.  Don't get hung up on the numbers blasters put up, it'll make you question yourself.  Your mates will notice you and your efforts not because of your damage numbers, but how your -dmgres makes their numbers higher.

Animation times for kinetic melee used to be longer than they are now if you can imagine.  I love the aoe crits more than single target.  KM is very good on end.  I paired it with /regen on a scrapper and I was even able to add a couple ranged  attacks so i'm not always chasing.

Psy melee: Yah, any psionic power set is painful against robots and zombies. I learned that right quick when one of my psionic blasters ended up in a Banished Pantheon arc. I currently have two Psionic Melee characters, one scrapper and one brute, and I gotta say the brute is a lot more fun.

Beam Rifle's mechanic is odd, and it's not what I think of when I think "ray gun". I suspect it would be more fun if it let me feel like a Star Wars stormtrooper or something. 

I've recently discovered that Kinetic Melee really gets fun around level 35. One of my "top 10" alts is a kin melee scrapper, and while he felt "tedious" for a while, once he got to 35 or so he seemed to turn into a powerhouse. The animations actually allowed me to get extra creative with another kin melee scrapper. That particular character is a speedster, and in my head canon, super speed is her only superpower. But she's learned how to creatively utilize her speed for combat. Those elaborate animations are her using her speed to actually compress air into semi-hard balls that she then hurls at her opponents.

• Thumbs Up 1