Sentinels and Inspirations

Kind of a short and sweet idea here. When I think of the role Sentinels are supposed to play, I think they're intended to be opportunists able to switch tactics based on the situation. The game system I closely associate with that is Inspirations. I'd like to see the archetype interact with Inspirations in an unusual way.

Basically, I think when in "Defensive Opportunity" or "Offensive Opportunity" mode, Inspirations should be more effective

• Offensive: Red or Yellow are increased in power
  • Defense: Purple, Blue, Green, or Orange are increased in power

What does "increased in power mean"?

Good question. I don't have exact values in mind. In fact, it's not even necessary that we insist Purples always boost Defense, etc. You could have something like:

• Offensive; Eating any Yellow or Red inspiration also provides some +Recharge
  • Defensive: When you eat a Purple, you also get 50% of an Orange, and vice versa

You could also do something like:

• When under the effects of a Yellow or Red inspiration, you have a chance for Crit damage.

How technically feasible is this?

Based on what I know about how inspirations are coded. adding a hook to see if the player is in the correct mode should be doable. However, I confess to not being an expert on the specifics of Sentinel modes. 

I'm open to discussion about what the specific benefits of inspirations should be and how strong/the nature of the bonuses.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I commend you for thinking outside the box, but I’m not sure I support the rework of a basic mechanic of the game in order to make one specific AT a little better.  My two cents.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "rework" though. Inspirations are temporary powers with definitions similar to the powers you can cast normally. The only difference is that they are activated by the button in the Inspiration tray, which then deletes itself. You can edit the effects of an inspiration using the same process you would use to edit a power. You shouldn't need to do a rework of core code, just add attribmods that check archetype/mode.

Edited by oedipus_tex

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I commend you for thinking outside the box, but I’m not sure I support the rework of a basic mechanic of the game in order to make one specific AT a little better.  My two cents.

This would only affect Sentinel.  If you mean simply needing to touch the files behind the scenes to add Sentinel versions - you are subject to this already. 

See also: every pool attack having a Containment listing.

And don't get me started on Fiery Embrace.

• Like 1

This is a genuinely innovative idea that has merit; however, inspirations have their own animation times associated with use but long buff periods, making the best time to use an inspiration before you know you need it, not after. Because no other AT in the game really interacts with this consumable system, I feel like any such change would result in wide swings in perception of power, as well a lot of perverse incentives. (For an example of the latter; if you're boosting damage based on offensive opportunity, it now becomes optimal to end fights with opportunity, chug reds, then gogogogogo to next fight)

I think to truly get the most of this system you would need to more thoroughly approach the AT as well as inspirations.

Edited by Sunsette