What is the communal opinion of teaching roleplaying basics to beginners and those interested in learning to roleplay?

Crystal Dragon

Introduction to roleplaying, should this be a thing?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would the community support and assist with creating weekly introductions to roleplaying for newer roleplayers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, need more information

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/15/21 at 04:00 PM

I had been talking with my coalition mates and leaders as well as friends about maybe organizing a community effort to help educate the basics of roleplaying in mmorpgs, and many of the unspoken courtesy's that often get over looked by beginners. I have something of a rough draft planner set up for such a task, but I was wondering if there could be more people to help assist with such a move? I'm highly experienced as a roleplayer, that's no boast, but I'd like to help bridge the gaps that I know exist in the game, in regards to understanding the players need for help refining their characters, introduction approaches and how to mesh well with group roleplay as well as how to write in various different points of view. It's not a NECESSARY thing to do, but I feel like there's a lot of players lacking in the general knowledge of the unspoken rules of consent, and ooc permissions for fellow players they engage with and maybe this could help address that point in a clearer fashion. What do you people think?

--

Adding to this a bit further info on why I'm asking about this. I want to help foster a safer roleplaying environment for all of our city friends. But I'm not asking to dictate how we play, but rather enlighten and educate on the various different ways that roleplay styles exists and in what ways to establish personal boundaries within roleplay and enforcing those boundaries so that no drama crossover happens. A teaching tool of the basics, I felt may help with refreshing players knowledge and round out their understanding of termology and short hand often used by roleplayers as well. If more needs to be added to the "lesson plans" I'll happily take a look and see what sections it would fall under and add it to the list of topics already on my planner draft, there's a lot to cover already but I'm happy to hear what the community feels needs to be widely addressed as a critical lesson for the community newcomers as a whole. ❤️ 

Edited by CrystalDragon
Adding a few things, no worries.
  • Like 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Planner draft

Intro class goals
Respecting the rule of consent. 

The different types of roleplay styles, and the differences between them. *Suggested by McSpazzy of Everlasting.*
The basics of roleplaying, how to identify other roleplayers w/o the flag.
Common approaches and introductions of characters to scenes.
How to assess if the scene or scenario is suitable for your playstyle and what to do if it's not.

Second class goals
Finding your characters core self: Not as easy as it looks, but worth while.
Reaching for realism, is it impossible?
Lore and Personal Lore: The simply structure of the game lore, versus your personal lore, does it fit?
Storylines: Should they be open to everyone that roleplays with you?

Third class goals
Immersive play, what is it?
Complexity: What you make, can evolve.
Specific character issues, depth, and understanding background complications.
The differences POV: Third, first, and second person views and how to play them.

(Things are in flux for shuffling to different "course" sections so any new ideas to share, I'm happy to add along the way, maybe create an advanced class of sorts for the future too.)

Personal note: I also wish to add that I want these classes or courses to be as transparent with the community for development and further refinement of the community itself. Any additions, I want to make sure is something that community itself wants, supports and wishes to enforce themselves as fellow players on the same playing table. 

Edited by CrystalDragon
Personal note.
  • Like 1

Ack okay, quick note from myself on this. This was intended as a flexy project, not something I want to do completely on my own because I'm a mother outside of game and my playtime can be at times erratic, but I figured the idea itself would be really helpful with educating and informing fellow players on the basics and the more advanced techniques and paths to take with character creation for roleplaying themes, and the variety of different ways that roleplaying can take place. I'm not sure of my tone conveys as well as it does among my friends and contacts, and I wish to apologize ahead of time before anyone draws any conclusions that might suggest the intent to push any specific kind of roleplay style on others. This is purely meant to help open up the playing field a bit more, help making contacts more possible with newer players themselves and assist with teaching and educating the finer points without putting other players out of the circles per-say. 

Edited by CrystalDragon
Me+Coffee=REALLY talkative and post happy, sorry. x.x

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I'll be more than glad to fill anyone in on what might be missing on the whole project. I don't intend to be set in stone as is sort of package program, but something that flexes with the needs of the community itself and what information needs to be encouraged and curbed before it becomes a problem for the whole.

I hadn't forgotten this post, please make sure to get your votes in by midnight EST so I have an idea of the community views on this project concept. Thank you!

P.S. I did start a club to help with planning, and scheduling session times and days for players as well as internal discussions for guides and members to participate in. It's closed at the moment until I'm done setting things up, but if you want to join as a member, or a guide, feel free to send me a message.

Edited by CrystalDragon
Details about Roleplaying Guide Collaborative Club.

I never did much roleplay back when I played City of Villains in 2010, but I'm starting to get the hang of it after running a lot of Dungeons and Dragons sessions. As a matter of fact, I'd like to learn more about roleplaying in a MMORPG.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but would it be possible to give me some advice with roleplaying online?

Sure. I'm hosting a introduction to roleplaying in-game this evening at 5:30 pm EST for the community on Everlasting so just keep an eye out in LFG for announcements of where to meet up around that time. 🙂

Edited by CrystalDragon
OOPS forgot to add shard name! My bad!