Observations upon return to CoH

DrZeus

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

I complain (loudly) about the bad ones. It is cathartic and hopefully instructive.

I've got to say... it's not instructive.

Out of everyone on the forums, you're so far the hardest one to figure out.  A lot of people are uber leet powergamers in denial... I get that.  Do it their way or you're a gimp noob (although they claim to be welcoming to all and every playstyle is fine). You on the other hand... you're extremely abrasive to the point where it seems like you're actively trying to provoke people into an argument... (like the last two comments on this thread)... other times you speak and have nothing to really say, you just seem bored... and other times... you legitimately have some great input.

My suggestion... the abrasive part is not the best of you.  It's not instructive.  And it's only cathartic because you don't see the reactions of other people just rolling their eyes at you.  You can do better, and I say that because you often do.  The abrasiveness is your demon to beat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I would warn DocZ of one thing, though, that was mentioned up-thread. There are a fair number of us on Everlasting who like to exemplar. His odds of ending up on one of those mid-level teams with an exemp-ed level 50 character or two is fairly high, and he expressed some reluctance about that. No one is going to be throwing around iPowers when they're running with a level 35 group, but between having finished, potentially attuned IO builds and an available extra power or two compared to the natural level 35s in the group they might still fall into "overpowered" territory for him.

This one... is more of a grey area I've found.  One person isn't bad.  Especially if they're being considerate and not just trying to show off how uber leet they are.  Once you get two or three... well, everyone else is just a passenger then.  I can certainly see why they used to have only one sidekick per person (instead of a whole team) to try to mitigate this problem.  (but with lower player numbers, it's also understandable that they changed that just so we have more people to group with).

It's a skill in any game... online or a game like badminton... to play with people who aren't your equal and still have it be fun for them.  You have to purposefully NOT give it your all, and still enjoy the play.  Not everyone has the skill, but it's always enjoyable when someone does.

• Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, DrZeus said:

I wouldn't say competency... I would say... ability to memorize something they've done before.

Here's the thing about call boxes: only one person has to do each one, why would more than 2 people try to race to get to any of them? Racing to a clickie in a mission can use more than one player (to grab aggro), but the whole team racing to the first of several call boxes is not a good look.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tidge said:

Here's the thing about call boxes: only one person has to do each one, why would more than 2 people try to race to get to any of them? Racing to a clickie in a mission can use more than one player (to grab aggro), but the whole team racing to the first of several call boxes is not a good look.

Again, that's assuming they've done that task force before and have memorized where all the call boxes are.  Or that they've done the task force so many times that they remember that this is the part where they don't go to the mission objectives.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're talking about, but it does assume a lot of prior usage of that player.  It's like... Death From Below.  Every time I do it people say they want the badges, and yet I'm the only one telling anyone how to actually get the badges.  They're good players... they just haven't done this before... and if they have, they haven't been told how to do this exact thing before.  new player doesn't mean bad player.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, DrZeus said:

this isn’t a gripe post

You've used this thread specifically to gripe and to specifically "speak your mind" about how you feel about other forum members who participated in good faith in your thread.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, DrZeus said:

I’m writing this to try to get other people’s observations. 

But apparently only if they are the same as your observations.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, DrZeus said:

I'm just not interested in arguing.  Interpret that how you will.

Your behavior seems to indicate otherwise.  I'll take that as my answer and move on, keep taking your shots at people without any responsibility if that makes this thing work for you.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 hours ago, tidge said:

I NEVER race to a call box. I pop up my map. Look at the location of the call box. Am I the closest player. Is someone moving in that direction?  Those two questions resolve a lot about my next 30-45 seconds in life.  Using the AH between missions for inspiration management is more important to the team success than having 2-8 of us going to a place that needs one.  Or, I might just make a cup of coffee.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, ZemX said:

So if read this correctly, if the answer to both is "yes".... you go make a cup of coffee?

Actually if someone is already  headed that way (and are reasonably as close as me) i will let them get it.  Maybe not if they are 1/2 mile further away.  People racing to a glowie want to get it

28 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Actually if someone is already  headed that way (and are reasonably as close as me) i will let them get it.  Maybe not if they are 1/2 mile further away.  People racing to a glowie want to get it

See also "Talk to Stephanie Peebles" in the Moonfire TF.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, tidge said:

See also "Talk to Stephanie Peebles" in the Moonfire TF.

I know this one can be done by anybody but aren't there some "talk to"s in TFs that can only be done by the team lead?  Or am I imagining things?

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

I know this one can be done by anybody but aren't there some "talk to"s in TFs that can only be done by the team lead?  Or am I imagining things?

I can't think of a TF/SF that has this restriction (aside from talking to the character assigning TF.SF missions), although I can imagine such a restriction exists for certain content (Dark Astoria NPCs in missions? Signature Story Arcs maybe?)

On 7/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, SwitchFade said:

Let me know if you would like to see 80mill in about 20 minutes of dedicated time. I do that about once to twice a week, so maybe 30-40 minutes of actual time spent for about 140-180 million. So, maybe 250 mill an hour, no farming necessary.

I'm interested. Do tell! :)

On 7/17/2021 at 6:12 PM, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

I will just point out that on live, and in every official MMO, the rules players are to conduct themselves by actually make doing things like telling a player you will boot them if they do not conform to your demands simply because you are the team leader considered an act of harassment. On live you could quite literally get a ban for booting someone from a TF for not submitting to your commands( this to my chagrin happened to me more then a few times during my early control freak phase of TF leading on live, and did in fact help shape me into a better team leader) The default rule on just about any and every single MMO is if you for any reason do not like how another player is playing, is its on you to remove yourself from the team, not try to force the other to leave the team. The leaders ability to boot a team member is supposed to be used only for when you have someone actively violating the rules of player conduct themselves, and you do not want to wait around for a GM to resolve the issue. At least that is my experience with MMO and how they treat this topic in general. HC is obviously not required to abide by the same strict standards real MMO tend to adhere to. Considering how tolerant they seem to be on people talking in very graphic and intimate detail in public chat exposing anyone and everyone to peoples ERP, it seems rather clear HC is not exactly trying to uphold much in the way of social standards.

I'm sorry, but literally everything you've written here is simply not true.

1. Telling people you'll kick them is not against the written rules in this, or any other, MMO.
  2. In this MMO, both on live and here on HC, and in other MMOs, I've told people flat out to stop their shenanigans or they'll be kicked and then I've kicked them. I've never so much as been contacted by a GM much less banned.
  3. Kicking someone from a team is NOT harassment. Harassment requires a pattern of behavior that is outside of the norm. Leaders kicking people from a team is part of the norm. It's literally the reason why the devs put a KICK button in the team UI.
  4. I don't know why you got banned years ago but I guarantee it wasn't for kicking someone from your team.
Edited by PeregrineFalcon
Typo!
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

7 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I'm sorry, but literally everything you've written here is simply not true.

1. Telling people you'll kick them is not against the written rules in this, or any other, MMO.
  2. In this MMO, both on live and here on HC, and in other MMOs, I've told people flat out to stop their shenanigans or they'll be kicked and then I've kicked them. I've never so much as been contacted by a GM much less banned.
  3. Kicking someone from a team is NOT harassment. Harassment requires a pattern of behavior that is outside of the norm. Leaders kicking people from a team is part of the norm. It's literally the reason why the devs put a KICK button in the team UI.
  4. I don't know why you got banned years ago but I guarantee it wasn't for kicking someone from your team.

It was as a GM spoke to me in person about it. As it was explained, a player on a TF has invested their play time toward the end reward, Another player taking action that denies them that reward very much can be deemed causing that player a negative experience.

Yes if a player is doing something actually against the rules, use the kick function if you do not wish to wait on a GM, that is literally its function. But there is a difference between a player playing as they wish, and actively doing something to negatively impact the play experience. I can even use an example back from live on this.

Dr. Todd in the Moonfire TF. if a player for example was to without being asked, or asking stealth to todd and free her to then let her get killed before the party  could arrive, can indeed count as griefing even though it does not prevent the end of the TF, it can deny the party the missions completion XP. That would be something you could and should boot over, and also report to admin for.

I find it very odd some around here think behaving in a genuinely negative manner is somehow not that. It really is starting to make me wonder what kind of people are even taking part in the HC forums. Just today i saw people actively naming and shaming in general, and tried to intercede on behalf of the player to get it to stop, and ended up having to get a GM to come around to get it to, because most of the general chat seemed to think HC is some private playground they can do anything they want in and treat people however they like.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, tidge said:

I can't think of a TF/SF that has this restriction (aside from talking to the character assigning TF.SF missions), although I can imagine such a restriction exists for certain content (Dark Astoria NPCs in missions? Signature Story Arcs maybe?)

This was from back on live.  Restriction removed by current management.  Praise Lord Recluse!

12 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

the rules players are to conduct themselves by actually make doing things like telling a player you will boot them if they do not conform to your demands simply because you are the team leader considered an act of harassment.

For someone who claims to have been banned for this, it's a curious way to characterize your own actions. "Boot them if they do not conform to your demands simply because you are the team leader"?

This is how I would expect the jerk who got kicked from the team to describe it, because what really happened was that you formed the team advertised as "no speed" and therefore everyone joining it is implicitly agreeing to these rules.  It's not one person forcing their "demands" on the team.  It's the team, collectively, agreeing to play a particular way.  Then it's one jerk deciding to go back on their own word and subject everyone else on the team to something THEY didn't agree to.

And you're defending the jerk.

10 hours ago, Llewellyn Blackwell said:

Yes if a player is doing something actually against the rules, use the kick function if you do not wish to wait on a GM, that is literally its function. But there is a difference between a player playing as they wish, and actively doing something to negatively impact the play experience. I can even use an example back from live on this.

A couple of months ago I was leading a TF and I kicked someone who had joined the team but then didn't enter the missions. He just sat there, apparently AFK, and I asked him if he was planning on joining us. No response. So, once the mission ended, I kicked him.

Did he break the Homecomings' rules? Nope. But he broke my rule, which is: "Everyone fights. No one quits." So I kicked him from the team.

Report me.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

People not listening to directions seems to have always been a reason for being kicked.

I don't see it very often, but reasons I have seen:

1) Not doing their share

2) Spoiling objectives such as certain badge opportunities.

3) Going AFK in a mission, and not exiting at the end.

4) Being a wanker.

• Thumbs Up 2