HC Summer Costume Contest: Folklore, Fables, & Fairy Tales! - July 31st, 2021

GM Kaiju

Well, I showed up as myself, being a Loyalist Praetorian of Level 50 who never left.  That's pretty mythical 🙂

• Haha 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

2 hours ago, Abraxus said:

You do have a right to be disappointed.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean you are right.  And, it's how you respond to that disappointment that defines you.  So, before you articulate the reasons for your disappointment publicly, you might consider carefully first, the possibility that you could be wrong.  An inability more, and more prevalent in our society in general these days.  So, while you are certainly in good company in that regard, it does nothing to further prove your point. 

I will leave it there, as I'm sure any further comment would be futile.

Doesn't necessarily mean I'm wrong either.

Awhile back there was a post asking us not to give the GM's a hard time about their judging these contests......they do it for free....out of the kindness of their hearts etc.

And while Im sure most of us, myself included, appreciate their hard work....for that to even be said....shows that people have an issue with how these contests are being judged.

And that management/the owner prefers to overlook it in lieu of their hard work, instead of fixing the problem and moving forward.

What I witnessed tonight wasnt a costume contest.

It was a random lottery in which contestants had to be present for.... while (loosely) fitting a theme.

The next few that come around, Ill even prove that to you by rolling up an alt, hitting randomize once or twice on the character creator and picking a name thats vaguely tied to the contests theme.

I wont bother writing a bio...or tying any of their powers...or their powers colors into their overall theme either. And if I make it to 50 it will be because someone power leveled me.

Maybe thats what it takes to win around here.

**And when I win, which is bound to happen eventually based on some of the "winners" I saw tonight, I'll make sure to post it so I can say I told ya so.

Edited by Zapped

18 minutes ago, Zapped said:

Awhile back there was a post asking us not to give the GM's a hard time about their judging these contests......they do it for free....out of the kindness of their hearts etc.

And while Im sure most of us, myself included, appreciate their hard work....for that to even be said....shows that people have an issue with how these contests are being judged.

And that management/the owner prefers to overlook it in lieu of their hard work, instead of fixing the problem and moving forward.

What I witnessed tonight wasnt a costume contest.

It was a random lottery in which contestants had to be present for.... while (loosely) fitting a theme.

The next few that come around, Ill even prove that to you by rolling up an alt, hitting randomize once or twice on the character creator and picking a name thats vaguely tied to the contests theme.

I wont bother writing a bio...or tying any of their powers...or their powers colors into their overall theme either. And if I make it to 50 it will be because someone power leveled me.

Maybe thats what it takes to win around here.

That is funny how you describe the folklore costume contest - in your eyes, the costume contest wasn't good enough and didn't meet your standards....

.... and in the eyes of the folklore costume contest judges, your costume wasn't good enough and didn't meet their standards.

🙊🙉🙈

Edited by Glacier Peak
meat to meet lol
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I had a fantastic time, and I don't care if I won or not. I think Ifrit did an amazing job with their costume and I hope to see more of them around on the shard! Congrats to all the winners, and I'm looking forward to seeing more competitions like this. It was tight, neck to neck even, but I loved it! My entire class that was with me in league thoroughly enjoyed the monster mash too, keep up the great events and fun, HC! We love ya!

• Thumbs Up 3

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

35 minutes ago, Zapped said:

Brother, of course you would have won if your standards were used.  I have entered many of these and always think that I might have a shot.  This costume contest I made a toon named BasiIisk that I had spent many hours on.  From bio, to power sets, to look—he is everything I could hope for in a good toon (and a freaking blast to play!). He lost.  Am I disappointed, not really, because the only person I desire to please and entertain is my own self.  If someone comments on my look, that’s great!  If no one does, I am pleased with my toon so much that he is likely to become my main (if I can solve his endo problem…lol).

On the flip side, I worked equally hard on another toon named EVENT HORlZON.  He won indom’s technology contest, beating a friend’s toon KlLLSHOT whom I judged as superior in every way.

What’s my point?  It is only what we have ALL known all along—from Hami raids, to Bank Missions, to Incarnate Trials, to Costume contests—you win some and you lose some.  Winning is a blast!  Losing is lame.  But I will take a thousand more losses if it means I get to have fun while doing it!  So here is a solution for you:  host your own CC.  Judge it by your standards.  Get the whole supergroup on board!  Take the problem you are having and do something about it in a constructive way, dude.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Server:  Everlasting

Notable Toons:  Nux Aukairo (Savage Melee/Dark Armor Brute), Boanerges Aukairo (Electric Melee/Shield Defense Brute) Lux Aukairo (Beam Rifle/Radiation Emission Corruptor), EVENT HORlZON (Fire/Gravity Dominator), CharcoaI (Savage Melee/Fiery Aura Brute), lsotope (Radiation Melee/Dark Armor Brute), CLERlC (Dual Pistols/Time Corruptor), RoidRage (Invulnerability/Super Strength Tank), BasiIisk (Psi/Dark Stalker), Meissner Effect (Electric/Energy Tanker), Burn Card (Dual Pistols/Fiery Aura Sentinel), Nux (Dark Melee/Dark Armor Scrapper), Mecha Nux (Radiation Armor/Energy Melee Tanker), AE0NAUT (Beam Rifle/Temporal Manipulation Blaster)

As a proposal for the GMs' consideration at the next contest, perhaps there's some merit in exploring a scoring system for the costumes.

Naturally, the contests are and will remain entirely subjective.  But it may be helpful for the losing participants to hear the rationale and reasoning behind those subjective choices in the future.

At the very least, running one contest under such a system could be a healthy experiment in social outreach.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any contest where one can win, there is the possibility of 'losing.' Anyone participating does so with the base expectation that they think they *could* win, I would assume. What I really appreciated was the effort to make coming out worthwhile with the follow-up event.

Most costume contests I attend I do so with SG friends, and we talk things over. There is no way in any contest that all of those from the SG could win, and it's uncommon for more than one to be lucky enough to place. Most of the time we chat during the contest, then comment on the choices, but let's be honest most contests end with a whimper. This one? There was a lot of debt, but no way it wasn't a BANG. It was unique, entertaining, and best of all, rewarding for those who didn't place with lots of juicy merits and badges. The zone worked very well for a large costume contest.

Thank you for thinking of rewarding attendees for coming out, giving us a lot to do after the long lull, and finding ways to improve these contests. 

Edited by Barneysaurus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shrug,  I try not to get too emotionally worked up over the results of a cc.   Everyone has different tastes, and based on past cc's, the devs and I are 180 degrees apart in

terms of taste.  :)     Best to just let it go.

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

That is funny how you describe the folklore costume contest - in your eyes, the costume contest wasn't good enough and didn't meet your standards....

.... and in the eyes of the folklore costume contest judges, your costume wasn't good enough and didn't meet their standards.

🙊🙉🙈

Theyd actually have to have standards first 🙂

It appears willy-nilly or random.

Edited by Zapped

As for the Reunion Contest, I can only say the judges displayed an exceptional choice of good taste and appreciation to a worthy circle of finalists! (...again)🏆

P.S.:  Talking about which, any heads up on when I can expect my crate of glorious goodies? 😎😉🎉

That incident involving a nuclear accelerator and a banana… You know… I REALLY don't wanna talk about it!

My understanding is that bios have never been taken into account for the official contests.  There's not enough time for that.  I've spent enough of my life grading papers to know how long it takes--most people aren't going to stand around long enough for one judge to rack-and-stack bios, let alone debate them with their co-judge.  That's in addition to the actual costume, which is why we're here.  To account for bios in any meaningful way, we'd have to submit them prior to the contest and the judges would have to volunteer extra hours of their time to read, judge, and debate them.

Even though attendance was light on Indom, there were a lot of really good costumes.  Mine was only tangentially on-theme (depending on how 'folklore' you think an angel is), several of my friends had better costumes and were closer to theme, and none of us won anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is always that one guy who complains that they didn't win. You cannot win them all, I mean I haven't won a single costume contest since I first started playing on this game. I don't attend costume contests to win, in fact I like to predict who will win and it makes things more interesting for me. If I win, I win, it's not like it's end all be all.

I attend costume contests to have fun, see how creative our community can get, don't stifle your creativity because you lost.If the judges don't have the same tastes as you or you feel like the CC is the lottery, so what? The moment you stop enjoying the costume contest is the moment you lost.

You think that takes effort? Well can you imagine painting your butt off for years worth of effort just to lose an art contest and then you swear to never paint again? Compare that to this CC, you make a costume that's what? 1 day of effort or a week or 2 of effort and then you quit and swear to never join a CC? I can't find anything more insulting. Anyways I'm here to congratulate the winner AND losers.

Edited by DarkWings
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I didn't win!  It was rigged!  I demand a recount!

I got a runner-up and demand NO recounts (never got even a mention in a CC b4). But seriously, there were some amazingly awesome thematic characters. While we were standing around on Indom, I was looking at nearby toons that would clearly not qualify and had trouble noting any one. So many clever and unique costumes...pretty inspiring actually. When they called my toon name, I was like "yay! Congrats! Way to go! Wait.....that's ME! What do I do now?!" Momentarily forgot where the movement keys are. And trembling, I started mashing buttons, hit "R" and ran into a wall. :/

• Haha 4

Trademarked Name (@Trademark)

Hocus-Pocus, Assault, Joan (of Atlas), Homunculous, Ensorcellress, Seismic, Wolfin, J0LT, The Limit, Transparency, Fastball, Loremaster, Monkey-Boy, Presto Chango, Kazam

• Lead Game Master
On 7/10/2021 at 9:00 AM, GM Kaiju said:

Also please note that costume contest judging is subjective and everyone's tastes are different. Please be kind to our GM's who volunteer their time to keep these servers running as smooth as possible. If you have any issues, please contact me here or on discord! 

The conversation is no longer constructive and some posts needed to be removed, so locking this thread. The overall winner and photos will be published soon in a separate thread.

Also in regards to the judging process, please see my previous statement from the original post, quoted above.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7