What AT's are overpowered? Or underpowered?

aeb

Someone told me the sentinel is a particularly well-balanced at, being neither overpowered or under powered. Which got me tondering which AT's are overpowered? Also, which are under powered? I'm just curious, and still learning the game, despite playing since Homecoming began, so I don't feel sure. Thanks. {Smile}

• Like 1

Welcome to the game!

I play a variety of AT while ignoring others. If I have an opinion about "power rankings" it will be very mild and based on the types of game you play in CoH. For example:

• The Invention system allows for many set bonuses that cover what ought to be "balancing" factors from game mobs.
  • As almost all of the game involves defeating mobs, damage (particularly AoE) makes the game "go faster" for some ATs (occasionally dependent on primary/secondaries)
  • The Incarnate system is pretty much explicitly adding on to the idea that all ATs should have access to what other ATs have.

As far as game style, some AT may feel like they are "doing less", for example: on large teams at high levels, Dominators/Controllers will watch large spawns melt before much "control" is applied. Typically this implies that such an AT has to change up personal tactics from how they play solo whereas damage-dealers typically will not have to change playstyle.

Also note that there is a difference between playing low-level content and high-level content.

Ignoring the title to some degree,  any primary and secondary that can get you an effective defense cap based on the Arch Type is going to be strong. 

The highest setting in the game is 8/4 

You have a 1 to 8 = equivalent number of players on the team 

1 to 4 = how much higher level the mobs are compared to you by levels. So 4 would equal 54. 

3/8 is usually the sweet spot, meaning you can kill the mobs fast enough to be effective.  4/8 might be a bit slower. We are talking Time VS Exp and Money gained.

So Range cap Arch Type with maybe smash and lethal resistance capped is great.  

An Arch Type with all its defenses capped is great. Even a Ranged Arch Type can obtain this with Super Reflexes, Ninjutsu, Traps. 

Then add incarnates on top of this.. That is just like extra sprinkles and whip cream.. 

My Signature has links about the game mechanics. 

Game mechanics is the KEY ! 

You need Mids Reborn to help you build out a character and to see these numbers and give you ideas on how to create them. 

The good thing here is the wheel has been invented. 
Here is a good example of this. 
Several People posted their own iterations of the build in the thread. Then SmalltalkJava made some improved on the build. 
There is a thread on Kin DP Corruptors and Darkir improved on that build. 

The only thing you need to understand game mechanics to know what a good build is..  Because people do post bad builds and talk as if they are magic sometimes.  Or you see some PROC build but it is all theory on the damage output but wouldn't survive an attack back.

Its like going out for business vs going out of business. 

Here is a perfect example you can see how they talk about the attack chain, I could give 2 sh!ts about the attack chain.
For me that is becoming too involved.. My simple thoughts are I will click whichever power is up based on the mobs I have in front of me. AOE, CONE or single target. But I also understand the validity to it as well. But that is my limit where I start hearing Blah, Blah, Blah...  

Edited by plainguy

Thank you. As I said, I'm curious. I've played pretty much daily since Homecoming started, but it was my first MMO... I'm late to that genre of game. So I feel like I'm still learning a lot. 🙂

• 3 months later
9 minutes ago, kelika2 said:

OP:  all villain + blaster

UP:  all hero - blaster

dunno where to place sents

Uhhh... I definitely would not call Brute and Mastermind "overpowered," and I definitely would not call Defender and Tanker "underpowered."  Brutes and MMs are undesirable in high end team content.  Defenders are arguably overpowered, and Tankers are definitely overpowered.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

Uhhh... I definitely would not call Brute and Mastermind "overpowered," and I definitely would not call Defender and Tanker "underpowered."  Brutes and MMs are undesirable in high end team content.  Defenders are arguably overpowered, and Tankers are definitely overpowered.

Im sure a tactical strike force master group full of defenders can handle anything but this game really is not that hard and if minor thought is applied or taking the first 7 t4 incarnated defenders to a group something can be done.

But

At face value, most hero archetypes are behind villains.  So much so Hero inherents were not a thing until after Villains were introduced with theirs.  Sometimes I too long for the days of dying trying to get across the Hallows many times after wiping in oldfrostfire and having a team dissolve because cant get back and ragelog or cant find a real true ultra omega dedicated healer.  Or the wideyed constant state of fear of being exemplared in old posi.  whichever hits more home.  But those days are kinda done and a team of corruptors generally twirk all over other ranged ATs if they all have roughly the same makeup  CorrupTursdays are not a thing because it sounds dumb and it wont really be fun due to sheer facerollyness.  At least with Mastermind Mondays there is the chaos factor, or Tanker Tuesday hugboxes getting together thanking the people who invented days didnt include a day that starts with B.

• Confused 1

The wrinkle in all this is that there appears to be at least two different games here and whether someone is OP or UP depends on which game you are talking about.   Come to the forums and try to talk about team tactics, for example, and three people will pop out from behind a rock to tell me that nobody needs tactics because everything dies in seconds to a withering hail of AoEs.

And they're not wrong in some cases if we're talking about teams of IOd and Incarnated (that's a word, right?) level 50 characters.  But they ARE wrong for most random pick-up teams running max. difficulty below about level 40.

Tankers, for example, aren't particular overpowered in the endgame where "enough" survivability is all you need and then what is more important is how much damage you can do.  Tankers do okay damage but you can hardly call it overpowered.  A Scrapper or Brute boosted by their team is arguably more useful.

But... Tankers are like cheating in the middle levels since they can achieve near-immortality much sooner and with less investment than anyone else and couple it with very respectable damage.

• Like 2

Are you talking planned Teams? PUP Teams? Solo? PvE? PvP? Early content? Middle content? Late content?

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

This would be my -i barely put any time into it- shoddy attempt at a tier list. It is based on endgame team content with IOs.  It is based on my personal experience and my personal playstyle.

I don't think archetypes as a whole can be considered underpowered or overpowered, because there is too much performance variation between powersets. Archetypes that fill multiple roles on teams, or fill specific roles exceptionally well are generally placed higher. Roles that I consider are aggro control, mez control, offensive support, defensive support, and dps. Blasters are an example of filling a singular role exceptionally well (and dps being the only role that can function as a singular role), and dominators with sleet are an example of one that can fill 3 roles on teams. Scrappers are tiered in 3 spots based on whether they can fill the role of aggro control or not. If I really sat down and worked on a tier list I would likely make separate lists for each role.

S tier

Fire blasting 'blappers'

Sonic Blast Defenders

Poison/Storm/Time Defenders

Kinetics/Cold Corruptors

Plant Dominators w/ sleet

A+ tier 

all others 'blappers'

Bio/Shield Scrappers

Fiery Aura Brutes

Fiery/Shield Tankers

A tier

non-fiery/shield Tankers

not-Kinetics/Cold Corruptors

not-Poison/Storm/Time Offenders

non-plant Dominators w/ sleet

A-

Offense oriented Controllers

B tier 

Stalkers (can be higher tier depending on task and setting)

non-fiery Brutes

other scrappers w/ taunt aura

non-plant Dominators w/out sleet

Support oriented Controllers

Arachnos Soldiers

Arachnos Widows

C tier

Scrappers w/out taunt auras

Sentinels

Peacebringer

Warshade

Masterminds

Hover Blasters

F tier

Empathy, Force Fields, Pain Dom, Traps

Edited by DreadShinobi
  • Thanks 1

Currently on fire.

The idea of underpowered or overpowered ATs is laughable. This isn't those other MMOs where dev nerfs or buffs rotate on quarterly basis (ESO, looking at you).

ATs are a playstyle. A playstyle is neither overpowered or underpowered. It just is your approach to solving conflict. Now, that said, CoH mostly appreciates a blunt-force hammer to the face approach to solving problems, hence ATs with high DPS with strong AoE (blasters) can feel like they are performing over the midpoint. Sure, if you measure your personal satisfaction from pure dps, then Blaster (or Scrapper or Brute) is your go-to OP AT.

But it is the actual indicator for OP or UP? Nope, that's your powersets. Not all Brutes are equal. Fire/BIo and Kinetic/Super Reflexes are two totally different beasts. And those same power sets in a different AT are going to perform differently as well.

Masterminds as C tier? Sure, if you like AoE spamming mobs. But MMs have proven able to tackle GMs, AVs, farms and everything in between. So, actually, have all ATs. Just when you think no one can take a set of powersets and solo an Imperious Task Force, someone posts a vid doing it on a Psi/Emp Defender.

So don't ask which ATs are performing -they all perform well enough - even Sentinels (which are gernally rated as 'mediocre'). But its the power sets that are gong to make or break your decision about how well powered they are - well, that and your gameplay. I cannot take a Emp Defender and solo an ITF, but there are people who can do it just fine. 

Trick Arrow, for example, used to be a miserable set. I found it only worked functionally back on Live when i paired it with Illusion Control, where it did reasonably well. Mid-tier. But with another AT? In the basement. 

But now, after the fixes to Trick Arrow, I'd call it A tier on my Defender. A+ on my controller, and B+ on my Mastermind.  Its not the AT, its the powers. And the player.

For anyone reading this who still cares enough to have a list of easy choices for leveling and getting into the game, here's my list of 'OP':

Demons/Time mastermind.

Time/Dual Pistols mastermind.

Fire/Super Reflexes sentinel

Ice/Ice blaster

Willpower/Martial Arts tanker

for starters. 

Enjoy.

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

Blaster is probably your top end AT if you know what you are doing (player skill needed to fully unlock the potential though).  

Most of the control-centric AT's start to become less relevant as you IO/Incarnate at 50, although I appreciate the playstyle associated with them and wish the niche for control was more broad in the end-game.  

Rest of it is kind of in the middle (certain combinations not-withstanding), in my opinion.  

It really depends on what you mean by 'overpowered'.

For solo performance, Illusion Controllers are in a league of their own. Phantom Army is just so overpowered coupled with certain support sets that you can do things most other AT can't even dream of doing.

For influence/xp farming, Rad/Fire Brutes are unmatched. There really isn't any reason to play anything else.

However, neither of those builds are particularly worthwhile on a team actually playing the game rather than farming or doing parlor tricks.

For team play, Scrappers and Tankers are 'S' tier. Scrappers are the highest damage AT while also being tough enough to survive anything except the most extreme challenges. Tankers are the ones who can survive those extreme challenges, but they do so at the expense of damage.

Blasters are generally just weaker than Scrappers. They don't do as much damage and they're far less durable.

non-Illusion Controllers and Dominators suffer from the fact that Control sets just aren't useful in the modern game. You get a bunch of weak AE and some largely useless pets.

Masterminds suffer from pet scaling. At even level, they're decent enough. As you ramp up the difficulty, the pets become effectively useless and you're left with a severely underpowered AT.

Corruptors and Defenders have poor dps and the overwhelming majority of their buffs/debuffs/heals just aren't very useful. While they can potentially boost a team's performance a great deal, the availability of inspirations and other similar powers leaves the support AT concept a bit adrift. Essentially, to make support work you first need the ATs to support - but those ATs you're supporting don't actually need you.

Stalkers are almost strictly weaker than Scrappers. While there are certain theme builds that work better on Stalker than Scrapper, these are not particularly powerful builds in the first place.

non-farming Brutes don't have the sheer unkillability of Tankers or the dps of Scrappers.

The various VEAT/HEAT tend to be inferior to the best builds from similar AT.

And, of course, the Sentinel is 'balanced' - which means it tends to be weaker than the best builds.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

So...yikes, this thread is kind of an absolute train wreck. Mechanically speaking some ATs are quite as "powerful" as others but as it stands most ATs are functional and perform a role. But yeah, a lot of the comments here are just people saying what they like instead of being useful.

• Thumbs Up 4

I know yer asking out of curiosity and a casual interest but as you can see OP this is a contentious discussion at best.

Fact of the matter is there are a number of ways to play the game, and a number of ways to measure one's "power". In fact one of the few consistent opinions will be that Sentinels are subpar compared to other ATs. Mostly its just a case of not doing enough damage to compete with true DPS AT, and not being durable enough to compete with true armor ATs and not having enough range to be as convenient at true ranged ATs. They fall uncomfortably into the Jack of All Trades valley where making them effective but not overpowered is kinda a nightmare situation.

Speaking purely from a +4x8, 8 man team doing radios, incarnate trials, and AEs made to be a challenge. Damage is usually king, but in the more challenging AE content control becomes more valuable. Support suffers from most forms of support being redundant on maxed out builds. The Defense and Resistance caps exist, and you cant beat them, and good builds are at or near the most common caps already. Incoming damage usually comes in two flavors, two shotting you, and not hurting you, so healing loses value. Debuffs suffer from reduced effectiveness on higher level enemies.

As such in that context what matters most is Damage -> Control -> Durability -> Support. With the exception of any +damage support moving up that tree.

From a Solo perspective of +4x8 and Solo TFs, its more or less Durability -> Damage -> Control.

In both of these Durability falls to the bottom of the pile once you cross a certain threshold. and here we see why most people consider Sent weak, even if they love the AT. It has decent durability, but not enough to easily hit the solo durability caps without sacrificing damage, and its damage is already behind that of the other Damage ATs.

Take this with a grain of salt as different power mixes do different things, and i don't have hard numbers but if I was to take a crack at the sustained DPS value of the dps ATs relative to each other it would be something roughly like

Blaster > Stalker > Scrapper > Corrupter > Brute > Sentinel

again just off the top of my head rough estimates, im sure iv got some of that wrong, but the point it Sent is one of if not the lowest dps AT focused on damage, and that holds it back hard. Sent struggles to find a role, so in some ways its the most balanced... in that it does nothing particularly well. Save for letting you make character concepts otherwise impossible.

17 minutes ago, Koopak said:

Take this with a grain of salt as different power mixes do different things, and i don't have hard numbers but if I was to take a crack at the sustained DPS value of the dps ATs relative to each other it would be something roughly like

Blaster > Stalker > Scrapper > Corrupter > Brute > Sentinel

Corruptors damage dealing is packaged with the need to do other things (buff/debuff/heal). As they neither come with status protection nor enough sturdiness/damage output to  make the lack of status protection meaningless. So granting the above may be true in the realm of infinite planes and spherical cows I am not sure it holds in practical terms.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Corruptors damage dealing is packaged with the need to do other things (buff/debuff/heal). As they neither come with status protection nor enough sturdiness/damage output to  make the lack of status protection meaningless. So granting the above may be true in the realm of infinite planes and spherical cows I am not sure it holds in practical terms.

Depends on the corrupter really, but like i said grain of salt. I've seen corrupter that wreck shit, and iv seen the opposite, I'm just taking a rough guess at the median from my personal experience. I'm also talking about raw dps, ya know, assuming teammembers protect you and theres no need for other actions? Thats not that uncommon an event in my experience.

Edited by Koopak
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later

Bit late to the conversation, but have some things I would like to add. 

What is "OP" and what isn't is largely subjective. OP in what circumstance? Solo or teaming? Paper missions, story missions, ITFs, Raids, Farms? How much money is invested in the build? How far are you pushing incarnates? And so on. 

For example, a fresh level 50 might play differently once it's gotten its full purple sets, and even more so once you have your full T4 incarnate powers. Some builds are very late bloomers and only come onto their own when they reach those levels.

So, to me it depends on what you want your style, feel, or focus to be, if that makes sense. As another example, some people rated Masterminds as weak or underwhelming, when to me they are one of the most OP classes in the game -

1. They can be absurdly durable, as tanky as tankers can be. (Before my tanker brethren jump on me, I hasten to say they get zero aggro management tools, but they can be as "tough" as tankers.) So you won't see Masterminds as Main Tank on raids and so on. I have had Masterminds far more durable than some of my toughest tankers, due to infnate healing, absorbs, resistances, defense, bodyguard mode and so on.

2. Another feature about masterminds, is they can be built in so many ways. A tanker is always going to tank. A blaster is always going to blast. But Masterminds, can be built in all sorts of ways. You can make a tankermind, or a dedicated support, or a CC focused, or a debuffer. Which secondary you pick as a mastermind can greatly affect how you play, I would argue moreso than other ATs.

3. Lastly, something not many people realize, is their increased aggro capicity. Tankers are limited to 16 targets. Everyone else is limited to 12. But a Mastermind can aggro 12 themselves, and up to 6 per pet. 6 pets? Thats 36 mobs, for a grand total of 48 mobs at a time per mastermind. Thats more than double than even what tankers are capable of. And while their damage isn't the same as a brutes, they can fight so many more at a time, thats a moot point.

Let's say a brute is fighting 12 mobs, doing 100 dps per mob, thats 1200 "net" damage. But the Mastermind, fighting 48 mobs at a time, doing even 30 dps per mob, thats 1440 "net" damage. So even though the Mastermind is doing less DPS per mob, vs the map as a whole, it wins. So long as you are fighting more targets at a time. This makes Masterminds very, VERY, good Farmers. I 3 box masterminds, and I am just as fast if not faster than fire brutes are. And I can take that same Mastermind, without changing builds, IOs or anything, and perform an entirely different role on a team or raid.

But that's just an example about Masterminds, which I think many people tend to under estimate. True, if you are going single group to single group, they can seem lackluster. But aggroing half the map at once and killing everything in 3 minutes, I would call that pretty dang OP.

Anyway, the point is, I tend to compare "quirks" or styles of ATs, rather than "power". 

1. Tankers - can reach literal levels of immortality, but it can take a while to reach these levels. Their damage isn't terrible either! Tankers can also solo almost everything in the game, including ITFs. It might take "forever" to for them to do so, but they "can". The tankers downside is they can take some game knowledge to push to their full potential, can be on the expensive side, and can seem a bit boring to some.

2. Brutes - brutes are a fantastic first class. They can be tough, and do great damage, and can be fairly simple to maximize. They aren't quite as durable as a tanker can be, but are close! And do a bit more damage. The downside to brutes is that due to their fury mechanic, flat out damage boosts can be less effective on them. This isn't to say you shouldn't take such powers, like buildup and so on, only that you get more bang for your buck from said powers on other ATs.

3. Scrappers - They do more damage than brutes do, while being less tanky. But enough times, they prove "tanky enough" in most situations. Some powersets retain their aggro/taunting aura, and are just as good as keeping aggro as a tanker or brute can in "some" content. Not ALL, but some. The majority of team content they are sufficient for the task, keeping aggro just fine, while doing more damage than a tanker would at the same time. But I wouldn't expect to be the tank on any top end content!

4. Stalkers - Stalkers I consider the royalty of melee damage. They can decide what dies first, and can skip missions entirely if they desire. They can be on the squishy side though, but some can be surprisingly durable depending on your secondary pick. Plus they have some fun builds such as the double charge Electric melee/shield stalker. I would call stalkers "the thinking mans melee." The downside for me about stalkers is they can flounder when under duress or pressure, lacking the tools that tankers and brutes have to push back effectively. They can also have weaker AoE damage as well. Not every stalker is bad AoE, but most of their powers are better suited for Single Target focus.

5. Sentinels - Never played a sentinel, so I can't really comment.

6. Defender - Never played a defender either, so again, can't fairly comment.

7. Blaster - Blasters are the "OVER 9000" damage class. If you like going all out, focusing on damage to all else, and leaving smoking craters in your wake, look at blasters. The downside about blasters is they can be quite glass cannon. Again, exceptions exist, but often enough Blasters rely on incarnate or epic powers to take hits if their "you die first" philosophy fails.  

8. Corrupter. They are a nearly the damage of blasters, (indeed, some argue they are better than blasters in some circumstances), while having a more healing/support secondary. I would call corruptor more solo friendly. I consider them the "brute" to the blaster's "scrapper" sort of comparison.

9. Widows - I would describe widows as "aggressive support." They have fantastic buffs and CC, but can be in the thick of things too. Some widows can do comparable damage to scrappers. You can focus on melee, or focus on psi powers, but I think a hybrid widow with the spin2win and all the good psi powers the overall best. The downside to widows is their survivable mechanic is a bit funky, getting stronger the more you are hurt. But that compared with their low hp pool makes them sort of glass cannons. Not as bad as stalkers might be, but a strong alpha hit still might 1 shot you.

10. Soldiers - Solders I would consider the fun man's support class. They can give fantastic buffs with their mere presence, and can even go crabbermind for a quasi pet build if you like. The downside for soldiers is they really don't excel in any particular role or aspect. They are good in several areas, but not fantastic at anything. But this also means they dont have any glaring weaknesses to speak of either. One key feature is with a soldier, it's possible to have a full AoE attack rotation, which isn't something many others can boast. So while you won't absolutely nuke groups of enemies like the Blaster can, you can certainly chew threw them just fine.

11. Warshades/Peacebringers - They are "Stance" classes. They can do anything - Tank, Dps, Support, etc. They just can't do it "all at once.", having to stance-dance into what they need as the situation needs it. Warshades are more solo focused, using enemies to strengthen their buffs, while Peacebringers are more team focused. The downside to Warshades/Peacebringers is while they "can" do anything, they won't do it "as well" as a dedicated AT for that spot. But their fluid and options often prove enough. If you are on a team, and the tank goes down, having a peacebringer who was ranged dps able to immediately swap roles and take over can and will save the group.

12. Masterminds - see above!

13. Dominators/Controllers - I have only played one or two of these, so any claim of mine being an expert is suspect. But I do agree that on super-fast moving teams, your focused CC abilities can feel wasted. But some of their builds are fantastic soloers too. A few of them can even farm.

Anyway, thats my thoughts on the overall ATs. Any AT can be OP in the right circumstances, but some are certainly more OP than others. But I think it's more important to ask the asker on what they mean by OP. In which activity/difficulty/inf spent/incarnate/levels do they want to use as a reference or measuring stick? Because, things can differ quite wildly depending on what exact content you are talking about, even within the same builds/incarnates/resources spent. And all this isn't even considering peoples personal preferences either. What I consider OP, someone else might not. 

Just my thoughts on the discussion!

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:53 AM, Hjarki said:

For influence/xp farming, Rad/Fire Brutes are unmatched. There really isn't any reason to play anything else.

Challenge accepted! Here is a vid of my MM farm at max difficulty settings, taking less than 3 minutes to clear -

15 hours ago, arcane said:

Now let’s see the comparison when you’re afk.

Why would I even want to afk farm with a MM? Kind of the whole point why I experimented with MM farming was because brute/tanker farming is pretty boring or tedious. But if that's your measuring stick, let's see your brute farmer solo AVs, GMs, perform other roles on itfs or raids, etc. I can do all that with one build, where I doubt you can do such on your spines/fire brute.  😋

6 hours ago, Neiska said:

Why would I even want to afk farm with a MM? Kind of the whole point why I experimented with MM farming was because brute/tanker farming is pretty boring or tedious. But if that's your measuring stick, let's see your brute farmer solo AVs, GMs, perform other roles on itfs or raids, etc. I can do all that with one build, where I doubt you can do such on your spines/fire brute.  😋

Sure, just saying that’s an important dimension of farming potential. Your MM is a more limited farmer in terms of production per unit of play time than a Brute that can (1) farm actively just as fast as you and (2) make 20 mil every time you have to run an errand or watch tv 🙂

Credit where credit’s due: my fire farmers are in fact exceptionally bad at PvE because I never ever take Healing Flames because my fire farmers are intended to be fire farmers only. I’d just IO up a second build though if I actually cared to PvE with any of them. Like my Plant/Psy has a Fire Epic build with capped fire defense etc that farms as fast as you and a Psy Epic build for general play. 

There’s nothing really special about being able to actively farm quickly; I have at least 9 characters that can do that efficiently like your MM, including multiple “squishy” AT’s. But passive farming income is a whole different thing blasters, doms, MM’s, controllers, etc simply can’t touch.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, Neiska said:

Challenge accepted! Here is a vid of my MM farm at max difficulty settings, taking less than 3 minutes to clear -

FYI, I was legit interested in your toon but your video doesn’t show much very clearly. I cannot tell that you are soloing or that what your powers are at a glance.

What is that, Bots I think cuz I see a burn patch? Do I see Elec Affinity? I thought I saw two Longbow bosses hence the question about soloing.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1