Impact of large gifts of influence

Ukase

6 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Someone informed me that SCoRE gives 2 billion Inf to each account, if you ask, apparently?

Any of you SCoRErs able to confirm that?  Any of you seen any kind of indication of a negative impact to player retention there that isn't more easily attributed to Homecoming having the larger and more stable population?

Fight Club Rules GIF - FightClub Rules DontTalk GIFs

21 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Someone informed me that SCoRE gives 2 billion Inf to each account, if you ask, apparently?

Isn't that the 'secret server'?  And didn't it shut down shortly after its existence was revealed?

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, ILIWAPCT said:

Imagine when you started the game you were given a level 50 and all the IO's you needed? After a week you'd probably move on

That's generally me with a toon once they hit 5-0 anyway, whether or not I was magically gifted one (never have been, usually don't farm either) or not.

To address the topic, I think this is "altruism panic," something I see a lot IRL (not to go too political, hopefully).  If it was given as a gift, it was given as a gift and they were free to do with it what they wanted, even if that was to not use it.  It's nothing personal or a failure of people to "properly" appreciate it and spend it the way you wanted them to.  This is also a very small amount of anecdotal evidence. 

If you really have that much,, then really so what?  Not giving anything out because you worry the person might not use it well denies the "good players".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Ironblade said:

Isn't that the 'secret server'?  And didn't it shut down shortly after its existence was revealed?

I always assumed it evolved into us. Occasionally I see people reference their participation on SCORE here. 

• 2 years later
On 7/18/2021 at 8:41 AM, Ukase said:

So, there's a proverb that states many counsels assure victory...so before I do something that I think is a good thing, I'm going to ask here what everyone's thoughts are about it. 

I have a lot of influence. More than enough to make my next 300 characters, unless prices go way higher than they are now. Possibly even the next 500 characters, depending on whether I wanted to buy now, or craft IOs instead. 

I've seen a name of what must be a newer player based on the questions I've seen asked in these forums, and I'm just tickled pink to see the questions as it means 1) newer player and 2) smart enough to ask for help without begging someone to just do it for them. So, I thought about gifting them 500M or even a billion..but what impact would that have on their enthusiasm to play? 

Anecdotally, I've had mixed results with large gifts. I gave an entire build to what I think is a genuinely hard working person, a parent of a small child. I know they didn't have time to sit in front of the computer and reset farms - they had to commute to work and put the time in. So, I hooked them up for a new build. Still haven't seen this controller they were supposed to make, but I gave it freely with no strings. Even so, they might come on once a month to play, if that. Before the gift, I saw them 3-4 times a week. Could be a coincidence. 

Another time, I spent a good hour answering questions via tells after some answers I gave on the help channel. Hooked them up with the requisite sets of Winter-Os so they could make their own farmer. After about 6 months, they emailed me 500M because they were feeling guilty about all the inf they were earning. I never saw it as a loan, but as a gift, but they repaid me (and overpaid), which earned them some solid credit with me. 

I've given away a couple of winter sets that someone needed to finish their build and 200M - after a week, they stopped playing. 
I've seen this happen at least a dozen times, where I'll give away some inf - and these players just seem to disappear and stop playing. It's not a real big deal, not at all sweating the influence. What I am sweating is if I am ruining their fun by taking away the inherent "carrots" the game has to offer. 

I mean, if the game were simply the beta server where I could go insta-50, immediately get my characters t-4 incarnate..I doubt I would play beyond just testing the character out in a market crash or Apex/Tin Mage. Am I spoiling things by giving things away? Is the gift too large? 

How much is too much? 

This is how the old COH/COV was bk in the day it was just fun. I would hold costume contests or just give it away at 50 you just make a ton of inf and do not need it. Well now I get to start over it would make it easy to have the inf but it is just as fun without.. I am just psyched it is bk....