How old are we, as a playerbase?

RikOz

46 and unlikely to see 50 unfortunately (fingers crossed for 55). Cancer is dumb. But I am glad I was able to play my favorite game again so I am very thankful of that. Seriously, I am very thankful to the Homecoming staff. And player base too. The timing was right on the money.

• Sad 5

The big five-oh in November.  It's kind-of  amazing reading this thread(as well as a similar thread several months ago).  So many players about my age or older.  This is one of the reasons I love City of Heroes.  Yep, there are plenty of youngsters....but a large part of the player base are folks in their 40s or 50s. 

I love that I was a young man at the beginning of RPGs with the release of Baldur's Gate.  To me that was the beginning of a new age of gaming.  KOTOR and Mass Effect were both similar milestones for me.  KOTOR, Baldur's Gate 2, and Mass Effect 2 are still my favorite single player games.  

But City of Heroes was the first game I played that was an MMO.  I'll never forget my first day logging in.....the character creation, unlike anything I'd ever seen.  The music on entering Atlas park.  Watching in amazement as someone soared above me.  Like the games I mentioned above, there was nothing like it.  It was an incredible experience when i first got Super Jump.  I still remember that first character with fondness, a Katana/SR scrapper.  I loved jumping from mission to mission with him.....timing my jumps to land on the top of buildings......There was nothing like it at the time.  

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Like 1

At 56, hitting 57 in October.  I was 39 when City of Heroes first came out; my youngest brother (just turned 33 at the time) had discovered the game and, getting married that August, arranged for his "bachelor party" as a mass CoH game-fest with myself, our other brother (34 for him), and two friends who owned their own software company - we played in their large, studio-style office.  The game stretched on for fifteen hours.  We made it a point to get together after that on pretty much a weekly basis, all bringing our desktop PCs - and yes, it was a hassle doing the disassembly, loading, transportation, moving into the friends' office, reassembling, then starting the game up - but it was something that we all acknowledged was a driving social force; we loved our superheroes and were prepared to make a load of sacrifices/take on burdens in order to have a game where all the characters looked like Jim Lee/Scott Williams-designed cover art.

Like pretty much everyone else here, I mourned the loss of the game, and was unable to find anything that even came close to inspiring the same emotional investment; as noted in a previous thread, I tried DC Heroes Online and was never driven to go any further than designing a character...all of which were based on my CoH alts.  The reawakening here has been an absolute joy to discover, and once again, all my thanks to the (as yet unnamed) cast and crew who took it upon themselves to resurrect something that so many people had given up as lost.  Hoping CoH will be around, in its current incarnation, when the gang here and myself are well into the fourth quarter-century of our lives, muttering about how the punk kids just don't appreciate classic-style games.  Pass over the antacid pills...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:43 AM, Turric said:

46 and unlikely to see 50 unfortunately (fingers crossed for 55). Cancer is dumb. But I am glad I was able to play my favorite game again so I am very thankful of that. Seriously, I am very thankful to the Homecoming staff. And player base too. The timing was right on the money.

I'm sorry bro/sis/hugester.  Thinking good thoughts about you.

• Like 3

Who run Bartertown?

• 4 weeks later

Late thirties. CoH was a constant from the beginning of my adult life so it was kind of a big shock when the plug was just pulled one day. I didn't expect to take it as badly as I did, but I had all the stages of grief.

Anyway, I'm fine now. I'm fine. I'm fine.

I may have spent like six hours in game today.

• Like 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Just now, Luminara said:

GOTTA PUMP THOSE NUMBERS UP THOSE ARE ROOKIE NUMBERS IN THIS RACKET  Imgflipcom Matthew McConaughey Wolf of Wall Street HD Large - Imgflip |  Matthew McConaughey Meme on ME.ME

My body can only take so much! 

...I'll try harder next time. I still have 20 levels to go to reach 50 on my new corruptor. I got VERY lucky with people running missions in Grandville today. People are so nice in this game!

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

Kennedy was President when I was born...  Only for another couple of weeks, but he was President.

First MMO was UO around 2001/2, then Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates, then CoX in 2006.  (The box set was a Christmas present.)  After the Snap, made a brief foray into Second Life and tried to get back into UO but it had changed too much.  Didn't play an MMO again until I returned to the City in 2019.  (Held out for months because I knew it would be a time suck.  After my mother died, it was exactly what I needed.)

Old farts have been around and playing MMO's as long as I have.  My Guildmaster in UO was in her 50's.  (Actually most of THB skewed older for some reason.)

Edited by Doc_Scorpion

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

8 hours ago, Rosencrantz said:

My body can only take so much! 

...I'll try harder next time. I still have 20 levels to go to reach 50 on my new corruptor. I got VERY lucky with people running missions in Grandville today. People are so nice in this game!

Remember to take breaks and stretch. Don't end up like me lol. I swear I'm getting wrist problems even though I have 8 hours at work to rest away from computers. What server? Maybe we were on a team together, lol. 

• 11 months later

Did anyone tote it up and average it out? I’m 57, btw.

My grandmother just turned 108 and she’s doing fine. Weirdly, two of her high school classmates live in the same nursing home she does. I wonder what’s in the water there? They just celebrated their 90th (!!) high school reunion.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:49 PM, A Cat said:

All the fighting lately here makes me think everyone is lying about being an old fart and the REAL average age is 12. 

I suspect it's a side-effect of real life.

Just dinged 50 at the end of June. Creeping up on 15 months off work. Interview for new gig scheduled for the 16th. Bah, I like bein a bum.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:49 PM, A Cat said:

All the fighting lately here makes me think everyone is lying about being an old fart and the REAL average age is 12. 

My therapist called it "Arrested Development".  Apparently, I keep repeating my adolescence trying to get it right. 

In real life, I'm only good at maybe three things. One of them is losing my temper and shaking my fist at idiots whose identities are unknown to me simply because they refuse to see things my way. Go figure.