Thinking of a Dark/Fire...

nebber

I've searched for this and not seen much out there in the wild, so I'm assuming this is an unpopular combo.  Anyone tried one?

I mostly solo but sometimes team. 

I thought a good party trick would be open with Tentacles & Torrent to debuff/soften mobs up a bit and immobilize.  Then jump (or combat TP) in, drop burn on the biggest baddie, and clean up with Fire Sword Circle/Combustion.  Blaster-level burn damage with foes not able to run away -- this would be good, no?

Do Tentacles hold a boss in one go or would I need to stack it with Ring of Fire?

This would be fine, yeah. I think the biggest gripe you’ll hear from dark/ users will be that dark’s multiple cones are trickier to use well in melee. But this isn’t really a problem. You have plenty of other AoE damage from your secondary and your nuke, and you can jump up before casting your cone to hit everything around you anyway.

Tentacles won’t immobilize bosses on their own, correct.

I would load up Burn with procs so you can frontload the damage as much as possible so runners aren’t a real problem.

Don’t have this combo but do have a Fire^3 blaster farmer and a Dark/Ice blaster with similar tactics (cones at the beginning but otherwise get AoE from Frozen Aura and Blackstar. Tons of S/T damage and respectable mitigation too).

I would skip Combustion.

Edited by arcane

I see, so looks like Dark would bring good single target and some mitigation, but the immob cone wouldn't really be game-changing in terms of making Burn/AOEs more effective.   Hmm, maybe it's worth a test server test run before committing to this idea...

Thanks for the reply!