Has anyone done Staff / SR?

00Troy00

I recall running one on Live, but didn't finish it due to the shutdown.  I don't recall ever having any problems with it then, but I can imagine in this day and age people probably hate the fact that Staff has no option for "No Redraw" and you have to periodically click Practiced Brawler and put the staff away.  Otherwise it's a neat combo.  Thematic when you consider martial artists having top-notch reflexes and reactions.  Gameplay wise super easy to softcap melee defense with Guarded Spin and lots of AoE to work with.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I have, but on a Tanker.

The Scrapper version should be decent enough. SR is all passive, Staff hungers for all the animation time you can give it. It's a good match.

I have some pet peeves with Staff in general. There's still no redraw option, compared to every other set. As mentioned, the animation times are long. The damage is roughly medium.

The Stalker version is also arguably the best version of Staff.

- you lose the stances, but you get the best stance as a passive, AND Build Up on top

- you still have your 10 feet PBAoE (Eye of the Storm)

- you lose Innocuous Strikes, but it's hardly a good power

- you get Assassin's Strike in exchange!

Given all of that, it's hard to justify a Staff/SR Scrapper over a Staff/SR Stalker. Brutes and Tankers at least get the aggro control part.

It's not like the Scrapper will be bad, just something to consider.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, nihilii said:

I have, but on a Tanker.

The Scrapper version should be decent enough. SR is all passive, Staff hungers for all the animation time you can give it. It's a good match.

I have some pet peeves with Staff in general. There's still no redraw option, compared to every other set. As mentioned, the animation times are long. The damage is roughly medium.

- you lose the stances, but you get the best stance as a passive, AND Build Up on top

Given all of that, it's hard to justify a Staff/SR Scrapper over a Staff/SR Stalker. Brutes and Tankers at least get the aggro control part.

It's not like the Scrapper will be bad, just something to consider.

That's a very well articulated argument.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I have one, and it's one of my favorite toons for concept and playstyle.

But I have so many other alts to play too!

With the variety of AoE and melee attacks in Staff it's easy to get the sets to soft-cap SR. Then you just go crazy hitting things with a 10' pole. Lots of KD so things can't try to hit you back. It's fun.

My problem is no longer play secondaries without a taunt aura since issue13 and shields I been hooked ever since and so a lot of the old secondaries I use to play I have not touched since I13. I have not played staff yet so no response on that but /sr is pretty straight forward

Edited by hejtmane

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

18 hours ago, hejtmane said:

My problem is no longer play secondaries without a taunt aura since issue13

I thought i read somewhere that going forward, no new scrapper secondaries will have a taunt aura so start to think of it as a tank/brute thing or plan to only use the sets that already have it.

1 hour ago, TheZag said:

I thought i read somewhere that going forward, no new scrapper secondaries will have a taunt aura so start to think of it as a tank/brute thing or plan to only use the sets that already have it.

Which is already what i am doing and I will just be stuck with those sets; sorry Brutes and tanks are not scrappers and they suck to play I think they are unfun that's life.

That just makes shields, rad and Bio always the best top three sets that they already are for now and the future. With WP,EA and Inv the other better sets

Edited by hejtmane

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

On 7/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, nihilii said:

Guarded Spin is pretty nice too as a  9ft, 90deg cone.  It makes this a pretty balanced set for Stalkers with better AoE than most other Stalker sets and better ST than Staff Scrappers get. 

Shame about the stances, but you quickly forget about that once you have slotted the ATOs and Build Up is recharging so often (thanks to those AoEs) it's actually slowing down your attack chain. 🤪

Would kill for some No Redraw though definitely.  And there's an animation bug with Assassin Strike if you use it from Hide without the weapon already drawn.  But it's not a huge problem.