NO TELLS PLEASE

Nightwatch

On 8/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, A Cat said:

Damn bros this is getting heated, lol. Anyway, IMO, If the leader has a stipulation, then follow it or don't try and join. If you just skimmed over it then it is your fault for your failure to read (it happens but don't blame anyone other than yourself). The leader can have any sort of term, arbitrary or not (did we ever establish what that meant?). It is their thing they're organizing. 

I agree with this.  Team/League leaders form their own teams by their own rules and can dictate and enforce (by the power of the kick) anything they like.  But people see what is happening, some of us take note of it via global rating/comments or by ignore.  The sad part is that by the time they figure out why they can't build a team, it's too late to fix it because no one will talk to them, join their team.

8 hours ago, Neiska said:

8 hours ago, Neiska said:

I also have to give a hat tip to @Snarky who is still a "stinky fartfaced doodoo head" because I admire his outlook. I wouldn't call it carefree, or antagonistic. More of a "Meh. That's not worth getting bent out of shape for." Which I would call easygoing.

Best wishes to everyone. Even you Snarky. 😋

So rarely do I get called easygoing.  I must be going soft...  The stinky fart faced doodoo head is more common.  I'm a villain.  I got standards!

But yeah, this stuff is just not worth it.  What homicidal sociopath bent on world destruction will throw a fit because they miss out on a bank robbery?  Okay, maybe one or two will get bent on that, but really.  There is more to world conquering than one job.

I have experienced a bit of pain related to this recently.  On my "badge everything I can before 50!" project.  At 29 and missing two Task Forces.  in LFG "Any interest in a Mortimer Kal?" "I would do a Mortimer Kal!" I post in LFG. I was badging Blueside so I transport to Sharkhead. I post in Sharkhead Broadcast and send a tell.  This has taken less than a minutes.  Get a response. "Team filled."  Grrrrrrr.  I send back "I was literally the only one to respond to your question in LFG" and get back "I don't read LFG"  *facepalm.  .....you F-ing posted in a channel you dont read....  So frustrating.  Still need that damn badge too.  But I am running Ouro right now, so maybe it will happen this weekend. Easygoing?  I would throw that villain under a train in a heartbeat. But not worth tracking him down to get a grip on his worthless carcass.  Okay, yeah, easygoing.  I can see that.

• Like 1

• Game Master

I'm the opposite. I prefer tells. If I'm building a league it can get very messy with all the chat and the bright yellow colour stands out. I often miss broadcasts as they don't really stand out, but a bright yellow tell catches my eye. I don't refuse broadcast or local, it's just that I'm less likely to see them.

I also agree that if someone's being rude then they don't get an invite. "Hi is there still room" is polite and if I have room they get a spot "Oi, F***ing invite me now F****r" does not make me inclined to acquiesce. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Your mostly soloing can't possibly have anything to to with the fact that you feel superior to everyone else, right? If everyone is stupid, can't read or understand basic directions, and is too egotistical to see their own shortcomings that you can spot form miles away, well, you're better off on your own. 

I agree!  You are the exact sort of person who should solo. 

In light of your other posts, the irony of that statement coming from you is astounding.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

I also agree that if someone's being rude then they don't get an invite. "Hi is there still room" is polite and if I have room they get a spot "Oi, F***ing invite me now F****r" does not make me inclined to acquiesce. 

This is where when I ask to team from someone that may have broadcasted in LFG it gets a bit nuanced.  I'll always tell them in a short and sweet tell so they can reply just the same.  If I see they have 7 of 8 it's likely I might not get the spot so no biggie if I don't get a response or they didn't move along yet and took the time to respond to each person with "full" that's cool but I don't expect that.   

But to @Ukase's pet peeve when I tell someone and they said they only had 3 or so to start for whatever they're forming and I never get a response after a few minutes that does irk me some.  So after bit if I see that person say in LFG they are now full I'll find that a bit suspect.  I do tend to try and be a bit humorous in General chat from time to time so I may suspect that person may have me on ignore in which case no biggie I wouldn't want to team with someone with little humor, there'll be other boats.  I like to test that hypothesis with a tell wishing Battle Maiden luck sticking that spear where the sun don't shine.  It usually elicits a funny response and now that leader is left saddened they won't get to team with someone with such humor.  😜

• Like 1

My two cents (that no one asked for, admittedly) is that both of the individuals in this particular exchange were being rude to the other. Asking someone a question and being told "go read the forums" as an answer might sound good to people who think the answer to the question is complicated, but it isn't. If I ask for "broadcast when in zone, no tells" and someone asks why I don't accept /tell invite requests, it usually comes down to a few scenarios. For a zone event, it's a simple matter of "the zone has a player cap, so I only want players currently in the zone." If it's a mixed team, the reason would be that "mixed teams can break if the 'wrong alignments' aren't all in the same area." If it's personal preference, then just say that. None of this takes long, none of this is complicated, and if you really wanted further reasoning, then tell them to check the forums. Starting off with the "go look for the answer yourself," especially when you're planning to make a thread complaining about them, is just... well, rude.

By the same token, though, responding to that rudeness with escalated rudeness in a "F*** you then" manner isn't really warranted either. Just suck up that first person's rude behavior, make a note on them (or ignore them if you really want to; I don't ignore people, personally), and don't team with them. Coming to the forum, finding the thread they implied would exist, and standing atop your soapbox declaring how everyone else but you is a rude dude just makes you as bad, or worse, than the guy who sent you here. It also makes no one want to play with you.

In short, both parties were rude. I'm not sure why either person is being defended by others in this thread, to be honest.

• Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

15 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

In short, both parties were rude. I'm not sure why either person is being defended by others in this thread, to be honest.

If I'm coming off more in defense of the person with little forum presence it's more that I'm stating they should have left that stuff between them in game.  I am in no way coming to the defense of the person that started this topic and then fuels their topic by exampling their pettiness in game with someone that likely cares little for this niche topic so by default it'll look like I'm defending the non-OP.   The OP is undermining their own topic.  

Edited by Mezmera

17 hours ago, Ukase said:

So, does anyone care to hear about my pet peeve for folks who recruit and then you send them a tell - as asked - and they never invite, and then moments later - 2-3 minutes, think they are good with saying in LFG "Sorry all, too many tells to reply - we're full". 

Had this  happen day before yesterday. They were forming Synapse, I responded immediately after announcement, went to zone, and waited. After a bit I got told they were waiting possibly for someone. Then a few minutes later they were full up.

When I form a TF I update my recruitment message as people join so as to keep a count of how many people I have, even if some of the invite have to logout to swap characters. That way I  can (a) make the announcement of being full pretty quickly and (b) make sure I don't over-invite. Most importantly I don't leave anyone waiting for an invite for a long period and if I get a sudden rush of people right at the end asking for invite I can let them know I got the last person right before they asked without them waiting around.

Its annoying when I get stuck waiting but there are greater injustices in the world by far.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:02 AM, Oklahoman said:

So, I’m recruiting for an MSR the other night, and I have this exchange via tell with someone, who shall remain anonymous:

HAH! Now I remember why your name rings a bell!  You're the one who hosted the only Mother Ship Raid I have ever attended (That was months and months ago).

It was all through broadcast, all instructions were clear and easy to follow.  I agree with everything @Oklahoman said there, it is the most basic logic to me.

Looking forward to join your events again!

• Like 2

I think that this thread is more important than a lot of people realize.

As Tahliah basically said, a leader has to learn to lead and, if they end up doing it wrong enough times then they're just ignored and unable to form a team and they don't know why. I think more people than just the OP have learned what some of the players think of various leadership styles and options. New info is always good.

Personally I'd rather a leader be rude and effective and nice and we end up failing the mission. The drill sergeant leadership method usually works, when the drill sergeant knows what he's doing, and personally I'm not thin-skinned enough to cry in the middle of a Rikti Mothership Raid just because someone refused to respond to a tell I sent, or didn't respond in a way that I was expecting.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that when someone has an...over-reaction to something in game, it's often more a reflection of the person over-reacting, than what/who they're over-reacting to/about. 

Our world is in a bit of a mess right now. And it's bound to impact some folks more than others. And some folks have a hard time with mess. No sooner did a lot of folks in the world think the Covid fiasco was behind us, now we have the Delta variant to contend with. To mask or not to mask. To vaccinate or not to vaccinate. To trust this news source or that one. 

It's going to be harder for some of us than others, but we should all try to consider that we have no idea what's going on with the folks on the other side of the keyboard. I say this more to myself than anyone else. But, some of you also would benefit from considering the other side of the keyboard along with me. 

Patience is a virtue. Anyone know where I can get some? 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Our world is in a bit of a mess right now. And it's bound to impact some folks more than others. And some folks have a hard time with mess. No sooner did a lot of folks in the world think the Covid fiasco was behind us, now we have the Delta variant to contend with. To mask or not to mask. To vaccinate or not to vaccinate. To trust this news source or that one. 

It's going to be harder for some of us than others, but we should all try to consider that we have no idea what's going on with the folks on the other side of the keyboard. I say this more to myself than anyone else. But, some of you also would benefit from considering the other side of the keyboard along with me.

Yeah... you've got a point there, friend.  To quote a character from Deadwood, my favorite TV show of all time:

"Every Day Takes Figuring Out All Over Again How To F***Ing Live."

Being a human on planet Earth, in the year 2021, ain't for sissies, folks.  Truth.  😟

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

They were forming Synapse, I responded immediately after announcement, went to zone, and waited. After a bit I got told they were waiting possibly for someone. Then a few minutes later they were full up.

Is it possible an invite was sent WHILE you were zoning? I run into that a lot with my iTrials, where I don't mind getting tells for invites, but since I am recruiting fewer people it's easier to notice if I sent 3 invites but only 2 joined for some reason. I should have included that as yet another reason I ask people to broadcast for invites for MSRs - your invite could get lost while zoning, and I can't always keep track of it as well.

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

When I form a TF I update my recruitment message as people join so as to keep a count of how many people I have, even if some of the invite have to logout to swap characters.

Since others have listed their pet peeves in this thread, I'll list mine in hopes of completely derailing the conversation. I posted a suggestion once that you shouldn't be able to hog LFG by posting there more than once every 30 seconds (or minute, I forgot what I suggested). The people who post "DFB 2/8", "DFB 3/8", "DFB 4/8"... - all just a few seconds apart? I'm not that invested in your recruiting efforts. But, yeah, if you're posting every 30-60 seconds and include a count, as I am sure you do, that can be helpful.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Is it possible an invite was sent WHILE you were zoning

This is why I either ask for an invite and wait where I am, or zone first then request one. Too many experiences on Live, both as the invitee and inviter, where the invite was lost due to zoning. Nothing more frustrating than being told you "lost your place" because of a loading screen.

• Like 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

32 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Is it possible an invite was sent WHILE you were zoning? I run into that a lot with my iTrials, where I don't mind getting tells for invites, but since I am recruiting fewer people it's easier to notice if I sent 3 invites but only 2 joined for some reason. I should have included that as yet another reason I ask people to broadcast for invites for MSRs - your invite could get lost while zoning, and I can't always keep track of it as well.

It seems unlikely to me because I stood in front of the person doing the invites for a while upon arrival before I got told they were possibly waiting on someone. So I would be the person who (a) sent a tell and (b) was right there in front of the recruiter for several minutes.

Since others have listed their pet peeves in this thread, I'll list mine in hopes of completely derailing the conversation. I posted a suggestion once that you shouldn't be able to hog LFG by posting there more than once every 30 seconds (or minute, I forgot what I suggested). The people who post "DFB 2/8", "DFB 3/8", "DFB 4/8"... - all just a few seconds apart? I'm not that invested in your recruiting efforts. But, yeah, if you're posting every 30-60 seconds and include a count, as I am sure you do, that can be helpful.

I update as they come in. If I get two people quickly  there is no reason for me to send a message for each person who joined...I simply decrease the previous message count by two. I try to avoid spamming LFG by either waiting a minute or so between posts unless updating when I have an updated count. With welcoming new people to the team as they join it would be hard to spam LFG every few seconds.

Edited by Erratic1

The person(s) building the team have every right to choose how they want to communicate.

If they want tells, that's ok.

If they want broadcasts - that's ok too.

If they want you to sacrifice a chicken first, then that gets a little messy.

It doesn't matter what the 'norm' is,

It doesn't matter what your opinion of it is.

It's their call.

And if someone wants to question them on why, instead of just doing as asked, they are not obligated to give a 5 page explanation, or refer them to the Forums, or even provide an answer at all.  

IMHO, they don't have to respond to communication about the recruitment outside of the requested channel.  If they do, then they should respond to all who communicate that way, if only to say to, "Use to other method, please".  I understand some like Tells, and others like Broadcast.  It's their call on how they want to communicate.  Arguing about it or trolling them is not conductive for future teaming.

If you are looking for a group and that's not a method you want to use, there are other groups, and you may be better served to find one that works better with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Patience sucks.  Sort of like weightlifting.  To be better at it requires much pain and failure

update on that Mortimer Kal I needed… my SG (Cosmic Council) ran one last night completely randomly.  Then I asked them to run a Treespec 1 and they did. Last two Trail/TF/SF badges i needed 1-29.  739 badges at 29 and doing Ouro for Goldside now.  Still a bit of work left to close out 25-29 content but making progress.  Patience. Sigh

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I find those "x/8" updates useful, personally, though I'd have a hard time explaining why, exactly. I'm otherwise in agreement with not spamming LFG.  Maybe I'd refine the rule to, "Don't post in LFG more than every 30 seconds unless you're adding new information."  You want to tell me that you're looking for the last member of the team five seconds after you picked up your penultimate member?  Fine.  Just don't spam "DFB Blue LFM" every five seconds, please.

21 minutes ago, Zhym said:

I find those "x/8" updates useful, personally, though I'd have a hard time explaining why, exactly. I'm otherwise in agreement with not spamming LFG.  Maybe I'd refine the rule to, "Don't post in LFG more than every 30 seconds unless you're adding new information."  You want to tell me that you're looking for the last member of the team five seconds after you picked up your penultimate member?  Fine.  Just don't spam "DFB Blue LFM" every five seconds, please.

Caffeine IS a drug. Details are important.  Stay informed.