NO TELLS PLEASE

Nightwatch

The benefit of the X/8 updates is often, I'll find myself in a mission when these are announced. It lets me know if I have time to wrap it up, or just forget about it. 

As an example: not that I often do an ITF, but if I were to do one, I'd only bother replying if they were 1/8 or 2/8. Those fill up quickly.  But for something like a Dr. Q, I'm likely not to say a word until they're at 6/8. Who's got time to sit around and wait for these to fill up? Well...I do have the time, but I'm not going to piss it away waiting, sorry. It's why I haven't done an iTrial in maybe 6-7 weeks. I am just over all the waiting to fill a league. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I find like putting all these rules on inviting or  responding is just someone trying to exercise to much control. It is like going to a hamiraid and having the same 50 players that go every night and having to listen to a raid leader repeat their same bound tells to the team every night before all three take downs. At some point it feels like people that just want to hear themselves talk or exercise unneeded control like they own the secret to how to win the day.

In most all the cases where someone is complaining they want shout outs the reasons are BS. It is the invited players problem if they ask for an invite and get caught on a low level team. It is not the leaders problem if you are not on the team with your "buddie". Your in a league what does it matter if you are on two different teams? And guess what, you invite the people sending tells they want invited and you can stop complaining about tells crowding your screen because you will have invited them and they will stop sending  you tells to get invited. 

GMs can be soloed. Certainly any capable group of 4-5 players can take then down easily. So it is pretty simple. Either make the call out and invite who responds, HOWEVER they respond and live with it, or just take your merry band of friends out and play without the add ins from a broadcast. And if the people you invite are out of zone or whatever the case is, so be it. Simple response,  Leader:"We are going to start taking down monsters in 5 minutes. You have 5 minutes to get to the zone or you wont receive credit." and in 5 minutes take who is in the zone and start killing monsters.  If you move to another zone well same thing. "we are done in Boomtown. Heading now to Perez park. In 5 minutes we will kill the Kraken." And in 5 minutes kill the Kraken if they didnt make it to freakin bad. 

• Thumbs Down 9

2 hours ago, QuiJon said:

I find like putting all these rules on inviting or  responding is just someone trying to exercise to much control.

Rails against players putting rules on how they will handle invites.

2 hours ago, QuiJon said:

So it is pretty simple. Either make the call out and invite who responds, HOWEVER they respond and live with it, or just take your merry band of friends out and play without the add ins from a broadcast. And if the people you invite are out of zone or whatever the case is, so be it. Simple response,  Leader:"We are going to start taking down monsters in 5 minutes. You have 5 minutes to get to the zone or you wont receive credit." and in 5 minutes take who is in the zone and start killing monsters.  If you move to another zone well same thing. "we are done in Boomtown. Heading now to Perez park. In 5 minutes we will kill the Kraken." And in 5 minutes kill the Kraken if they didnt make it to freakin bad. 

Proceeds to dictate to others rules on how to invite.

:classic_huh:

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, QuiJon said:

I find like putting all these rules on inviting or  responding is just someone trying to exercise to much control. It is like going to a hamiraid and having the same 50 players that go every night and having to listen to a raid leader repeat their same bound tells to the team every night before all three take downs. At some point it feels like people that just want to hear themselves talk or exercise unneeded control like they own the secret to how to win the day.

That is a pretty cynical view. Most people who lead raids do it to help the community run content where there is a desire but maybe not the experience to run it themselves. Not exactly selfish control freaks. Sure, people who do the same raid every day know what to do without instructions, but raids need to provide basic instructions for people who don’t do them all the time. It only takes one person who doesn’t know what to do to make it go south.

Out of curiosity have you run any iTrials, MSR, or Hamidon raids?

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

18 hours ago, QuiJon said:

So it is pretty simple. Either make the call out and invite who responds, HOWEVER they respond and live with it, or just take your merry band of friends out and play without the add ins from a broadcast.

In any co-op zone, you can invite members of any faction -- but you can only invite members of the opposite faction if they're in zone, so asking people to send messages in broadcast means that you don't have to waste time trying to invite them, finding out they're not in zone and not of your faction, and having to tell them to come to the zone to be invited and send another request after they're in the right zone. Asking for messages in broadcast for content in level-limited zones ensures that you don't waste time inviting someone and then having to field their complaints about not being able to get into the zone. You can't eliminate inappropriate-level invites entirely -- most of the TFs/SFs won't tell you until you try to start them that there's someone who doesn't qualify on the team -- but if you can use the game itself to filter the people wanting to join, use it; it makes things easier for everyone.

But, hey, if you're the one leading the team/league, you can use whatever guidelines you want for recruiting people. If you're interested in doing some group activity that someone else is organizing, but you take offense at how they're recruiting their team, you've got two choices -- join according to the restrictions they're setting, or go off and do something else. Or you can always blast them in chat for being a self-righteous, oppressive prig about recruiting, completely miss the fact that you're trying to make other people conform to your One True Way to have fun, and find yourself in a bunch of ignore lists shortly afterward, without getting to join that group.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Dazl said:

Countless times and still think there are a few leaders that are over the top and just plain not fun to play with. Will not do MSR at all on certain servers any more.

14 hours ago, Dazl said:
22 hours ago, QuiJon said:

That is a pretty cynical view. Most people who lead raids do it to help the community run content where there is a desire but maybe not the experience to run it themselves. Not exactly selfish control freaks. Sure, people who do the same raid every day know what to do without instructions, but raids need to provide basic instructions for people who don’t do them all the time. It only takes one person who doesn’t know what to do to make it go south.

Having been the newbie in a Hami raid once (well, a few times, really), I appreciate the leaders with the bind menus that tell us all what's going to happen and how to do it.  Same with iTrials and MSR.  It's easier to run one of those things by assuming that everyone's done it a hundred times and saying "Go.  Hunt.  Kill Praetorians/Rikti/Hami," but there are people (still, I'd wager) who haven't and who could use the guidance.  And if you don't need the instructions, it's just pixels on the screen that will change colors soon enough anyway.  What's the harm?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, QuiJon said:

As a raid leader...

I have to assume that every single Rikti mothership raid I run is someone's first.  While there is a core group of players that attend most of my raids, I can't take for granted that everyone knows what to do.  Most of the time, it turns out that it, in fact, is someone's first mothership raid, at least since live.  Many, many times I'm told "I've never done this before, what should I expect?"  Or "Man, I haven't done this since live."  I'm sure there are plenty of other first timers (or at least first timers on Homecoming), who never say a thing.  In addition, every raid leader has a unique style and slight variances from other raid leaders.  So while it may not be the first time someone's done a particular raid in general, it may be the first time someone's done it with me.  I have to account for that.  That's why I like to call out each individual pylon during the pylon phase on every raid, because different leaders use different pylon orders.  Believe me, it would be a lot easier on me if I didn't.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

16 hours ago, Dazl said:

I used to lead hamidon raids on live from time to time. My group was the first group on Liberty to take him down. MSR raids are essentially no more difficult then a hamidon raid.  Itrials i dont do alot of period. Just kind of boring and repetitive and if i am gonna do that, i can earn more incarnate salvage faster just farming 22.07. 

• Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

to send messages in broadcast means that you don't have to waste time trying to invite them

Sorry i guess i dont consider the half a second it takes to click on a name in the chat window and subclick "invite to team/league" to be all that time consuming. And again if the person asking for the invite doesnt know to make himself availible to be invited, that is not my problem as far as i am concerned. 

• Thumbs Down 4

51 minutes ago, Apparition said:

As a raid leader...

I have to assume that every single Rikti mothership raid I run is someone's first.  While there is a core group of players that attend most of my raids, I can't take for granted that everyone knows what to do.  Most of the time, it turns out that it, in fact, is someone's first mothership raid, at least since live.  Many, many times I'm told "I've never done this before, what should I expect?"  Or "Man, I haven't done this since live."  I'm sure there are plenty of other first timers (or at least first timers on Homecoming), who never say a thing.  In addition, every raid leader has a unique style and slight variances from other raid leaders.  So while it may not be the first time someone's done a particular raid in general, it may be the first time someone's done it with me.  I have to account for that.  That's why I like to call out each individual pylon during the pylon phase on every raid, because different leaders use different pylon orders.  Believe me, it would be a lot easier on me if I didn't.

Look i get wanting to make sure the new people are all up to speed, but lets face it, a raid leader is not the only "leader" at a raid. You have normally at least 5 other TEAM leaders. And you have divide the teams up into specialties. So IMO have the team leaders make sure their teams are up to snuff while you are asigning the tankers to targets, or during the fight of giant monsters. I have done a raid in almost every type of character you can do one with. If i am a new player on a dominator, well my team leader and simply say "anyone new at this" and if any respond yes then on the green team "Ok our team attacks the green mitos. They have to be held to take damage. Target through my target and follow the group. Once all the Mitos are dead we attakc Hamidon until he respawns mitos then do it all again." Why should any player that gets to level 45 in this game need any more instruction then that? 

And you know something i hate to say it but frankly what is it with feeling we have to tell every player what to do, even new ones. The most fun i ever had in this game was on live when my super group was throwing itself at hamidon every weekend trying to figure out how to take him down back in the days you got a yellow mitos spawn if the holds slipped and you used illusion controllers and phase shift to keep hamidon taunted etc. Figuring out what we were doing was the fun part. It is the part that made me feel like we accomplished something when we finally beat him. You know how boring it is just to be told what to do all the time and not have to think about what you should be doing or why?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

3 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Sorry i guess i dont consider the half a second it takes to click on a name in the chat window and subclick "invite to team/league" to be all that time consuming. And again if the person asking for the invite doesnt know to make himself availible to be invited, that is not my problem as far as i am concerned. 

Wow. Way to cherry pick part of a complete thought and twist it to mean something completely different than the original author wrote!  You have made it clear you have zero interest in an honest discussion.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, QuiJon said:

Click on the name, subclick "invite to team/league", get told you can't invite them, so you just blow them off because they're a knuckledragger who doesn't know that cross-faction invites don't work across zones, and therefore too worthless for you to lower yourself to helping them learn what they're doing wrong. And what they see is "this guy is advertising for team members, I sent them a tell, and they just ignored me. What a ёбаный сволочь."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later

Having never tried to organize one of these myself, I find @Nightwatch and @Oklahoman have done an excellent job of explaining the "Why" of how they try to organize these events. I was aware that there were issues inviting Cross-Faction but didn't realize that it was only an issue if they were not in Zone, so good plan, saves everyone a lot of time. I have always struggled, in a busy area, to keep a conversation going as it scrolls by pretty quick, so in this case less chat is desirable.

@Oklahoman did a nice enough job explaining and laying out his post that it is worthy of being copied to the guides sub-forum in my opinion.

Edited by Marine X
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 8/29/2021 at 6:05 AM, Snarky said:

I think everyone here that does not agree with me is an idiot.  Please dont respond.

So if they agree with you, does that make you the idiot?

JK

Please don't respond - like that's gonna happen.

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Arguably wrong.  Sleep in truck during the day, work nights, keep on the move for dietary reasons

See, I agree with you here,  Being a truck driver and having high mobility makes it easy to hide the kills - one here, one there.  As long as you don't stay in 1 area for very long, you would be hard to catch.  Or even show they are connected.  Also, you get to sample the cuisines of a lot of different places.  Bonus!!

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Rishidian said:

See, I agree with you here,  Being a truck driver and having high mobility makes it easy to hide the kills - one here, one there.  As long as you don't stay in 1 area for very long, you would be hard to catch.  Or even show they are connected.  Also, you get to sample the cuisines of a lot of different places.  Bonus!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.