Omg why are IOs so expensive

It's really not hard to make enough Inf to slot a character well (well = ATOs & IOs, + a few PvP IOs, with little or no Purples or Winters).

Most of my chars end up costing around about 150 million. That sounds like a lot but 2 rounds of "Buy Yellow Travel IO Recipies, use Merits for converters, craft the IOs and then do Conversion Roulette" will do it. One round of that (30-40 recipies) takes 20-30 mins over 2 days and you end up at least 80 million. 

If you're going for "5 sets of purples" then that cost goes up drastically but you can make kick ass characters without needing Purps (every char gets one for running Market Crash anyway) or Winters for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

Careful what you ask for.  If people with a dragon horde of influence started actually spending that bank, prices would go up. 

The weird thing is, the more I do to earn inf, the less I need inf.  In fact, if I'm kitting out a new 50, when the process is over I usually have more inf than I started with.  The only thing I buy off the market are Converters, Hero\Villain Packs, and lately, Kismets.  The only thing I dump on the market are orange recipes, white salvage, and catalyzed ATOs. 

How Why anyone makes it in this game with only a single account is a mystery to me.  

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

22 hours ago, A Cat said:

Cardboard armor pieces are unlocked. If you fall to 0 inf.

You're Base gets leaky rusted pipes. Screen door about to fall off.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

1 hour ago, Nemeroff said:

You're Base gets leaky rusted pipes. Screen door about to fall off.

You are locked into only using the train. No helicopter, no tp, no Ouro. It fills you with nostalgia of the good old days. Not of prior Issues of the game, but of working at McDonald's. 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

Compare them to Live pricing and then tell us they're still expensive.

absolutely. i quite enjoyed the pricing on live, it felt really exciting to have a purple or a good rare drop, thesedays it’s not really significant

3 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

@MoonSheep I guess you can be nostalgic and masochistic in the same breath.  Why not?  😛

back in the day you could waste 40M inf buying up all the availible market offering for 1 type of uncommon salvage and cause some chaos for an hour or two selling it back for 5 times the price to the impatient.. ah, goodtimes

What if SO, DO, etc were free?  Or SO was the bottom (no DO and lower)?  I think yall forget how sucky your first toon back can be.  No fun managing enhancement and seeing a bunch of empty slots or outleveled enhancements.

I dont mind earning my IOs but an empty power is no fun.  And more than half the time drops dont match my origin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Killing Legacy said:

Screw it.  I bought a bunch of training SOs.  I don’t need your scum scummy money soaked in scumminess 

I ran on live for almost two years using builds that were 80-95% Single Origin enhancers. If you really want funds start farming.  Or learn to market.  Or come onto the forums and melt down. The first two are guaranteed to make a lot of funds.  The last one is funny to watch

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I ran on live for almost two years using builds that were 80-95% Single Origin enhancers. If you really want funds start farming.  Or learn to market.  Or come onto the forums and melt down. The first two are guaranteed to make a lot of funds.  The last one is funny to watch

Or actually play the game.

Amazingly you can earn enough inf/merits from running missions/TFs to kit out a 50

I’ve done it with every one of my alts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Amazingly you can earn enough inf/merits from running missions/TFs to kit out a 50

Plus raids. They're pretty much my favorite thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I have a level 19 with over 700 merits.  These were earned over the last couple weeks stopping experience, running solo story arcs, badging zones for every location and fighting giant monsters.  That would make a pretty penny if i just turned it into converters and sold them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Supertanker said:

In the early levels just one rare Salvage drop can buy you a full slate of SOs, plus maybe an upgrade (since you have less slots.) And you're going to get a rare drop at least every few levels.

True and I dont need infamy anymore.  That said my first toon was a slog (and I stopped playing for awhile when I realized my best path was to start over and build a farmer).  Rare salvage might get you a few, but youll still have alot of empty slots on your first toon back.  I also think the OP might be trolling yall!  You ought to be able to use a power when you get it and invest slots in it.   Playing the market (not mad at yall who love it) isnt playing the game to me (actually farming isnt either but at least Im killing stuff).

Gave up on my most recent run of no advance funding for a just starting toon for this exact reason.  No enhancement of anykind in a slot is no fun.

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I have a level 19 with over 700 merits.  These were earned over the last couple weeks stopping experience, running solo story arcs, badging zones for every location and fighting giant monsters.  That would make a pretty penny if i just turned it into converters and sold them

NIce work.  And no offense, stopping experience so I dont outlevel my SOs and can earn enough merits for 14 IOs (but not the infamy for crafting them) also doesnt sound fun to me.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:07 PM, RageusQuitus2 said:

What if SO, DO, etc were free?  Or SO was the bottom (no DO and lower)?  I think yall forget how sucky your first toon back can be.  No fun managing enhancement and seeing a bunch of empty slots or outleveled enhancements.

I dont mind earning my IOs but an empty power is no fun.  And more than half the time drops dont match my origin.

I have a very clear and recent knowledge of how horrid a character can be, starting with zero influence and relying solely on drops. 

I did a "drop" challenge character, with several restrictions. No assistance from my alts, or any other player. No use of the AH except to sell. It was quite challenging, particularly after level 12. End mod recipes and enhancements do not drop nearly as often as they should. 

And you're right, the drops don't often match origin. Used to be, you knew Hellions were arcane, and would drop magic enhancements. As would CoT, and the mobs in Croatoa. Rikti would drop Science, as would Council. Sky Raiders and Freaks would drop Tech. 

Now, some parts of the game drop to align with your origin - like AE. For whatever reason, that works well. 

But, you've given me an idea for something new to try. A character starts with nothing, and has to essentially earn all enhancements without using the market. 

Oh - wait, that's been done by every player that played before IOs came out. The key is to not upgrade enhancements at every level. In fact, most don't even buy enhancements until a few runs of dfb - which get you in the teens. If you don't have 2xp (which costs you all the inf you earn while that buff is on), you'll have enough. And if you craft and sell your uncommon and rare recipe drops, you'll be swimming in it, even if you don't use/sell converters. Which are so easy to get now - it begs the question why you can't get those explores and sell the converters (from the reward merits) to subsidize your enhancement budget? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/6/2021 at 11:07 PM, RageusQuitus2 said:

I think yall forget how sucky your first toon back can be.

I actually went full geek at the very launch of Homecoming, playing easily 8-10 hours a day. With an underdeveloped market where you could hardly sell stuff, and I had no problem being slotted with SOs. I'm honestly unsure what it is people do that makes them unable to afford SOs. Perhaps an expectation that you should fill up every slot, including Rest, Brawl and all Prestige Sprints, with a shiny level 25 SO as soon as level 22, and keep them ++ with each level up? I slot the good stuff first, fill up the misc slots later, and let SOs go yellow before I upgrade them.

This was with me not understanding converters or merits, too. So I would spend 100 merits to get a LotG +recharge speed for example. And after 50, I traded my empyreans for reward merits. Just about the most inefficient way you could go about things. Still got me fully IOed out in the first two weeks.

Honestly... That was a great time, and I sort of miss it. Earning each IO slot one by one is a lot more fun than buying it in bulk on the market, if you're invested in the character. Obviously novelty wanes, and at the 10th alt mark (or the 100th...) you wouldn't want to go through all that. But whenever there's any allusion to bad times with first characters, I can't help but be all "whaaat".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

In fact, most don't even buy enhancements until a few runs of dfb - which get you in the teens. If you don't have 2xp (which costs you all the inf you earn while that buff is on), you'll have enough. And if you craft and sell your uncommon and rare recipe drops, you'll be swimming in it

So the answer to my post is run the same content repeatedly and play the market (if we were talking this over a beer it would sound less snarky)?  All while we are "arguing" over slotting basic/do/so enhancements in powers as ya level?  In a game balanced around SOs (not do, basic, empty slots, and reds).

Again i dont have a dog in this fight anymore (so ill be backing gracefully away from posting in this thread so i dont mistakenly offend anyone).  Multiple accounts and maxed out farmers.  But my first toon back, and recent no market, no infamy gift runs reminded me.  

That said OP Sorry I hijacked ya thread in a different direction.  If ya need help in game hit me up.  If you were trolling i can probably teach you how to do that better as well 😀.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

But my first toon back, and recent no market, no infamy gift runs reminded me

I know you said you were "backing out" of this thread, but I felt I should say something since your argument seems to be that it's painful to play a brand new character with nothing.

I'm going to point out, and this is just how I play, but I literally run with ZERO enhancements until level 22. Back on live, I used to run with ZERO enhancements until 32. The reason? I don't want to spend a dime on anything that won't last that character up to level 50, so I literally slot zero enhancements (outside of the free special ones from the P2W vendor, which really only help very early on and fall off quickly) until I hit the 25 Generic IO threshold.

Then, do you know what I do? I spend more influence than I need to buying the salvage and recipes (if I don't have them from playing normally) to craft them myself. The closest I ever get to "playing the market" is quick-selling Converters that I purchase with merits en masse, often getting 5-10k less per sale towards the end of my stack.

I have had zero problem playing unslotted up to that level and I have had zero problem getting fully slotted with Generic IOs (and even some procs, like Performance Shifter) after I hit the first breakpoint where it makes sense to start using them.

The idea that "you don't remember what it's like to be poor" doesn't work on me, and I'd wager I'm not the only one.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

5 hours ago, RageusQuitus2 said:

So the answer to my post is run the same content repeatedly and play the market (if we were talking this over a beer it would sound less snarky)?  All while we are "arguing" over slotting basic/do/so enhancements in powers as ya level?  In a game balanced around SOs (not do, basic, empty slots, and reds).

Again i dont have a dog in this fight anymore (so ill be backing gracefully away from posting in this thread so i dont mistakenly offend anyone).  Multiple accounts and maxed out farmers.  But my first toon back, and recent no market, no infamy gift runs reminded me.  

That said OP Sorry I hijacked ya thread in a different direction.  If ya need help in game hit me up.  If you were trolling i can probably teach you how to do that better as well 😀.

Thanks for your perspective, and your opinion. I also want to encourage you to express your opinion, rather than worry about offending people. I want players in CoH to think, and not filter their speech to worry about people getting offended over an expressed opinion. Not like we get paid for opinions in this game, lol. But who cares what I think right? 

Truth is, I'm with you to a point. I do think running DFB four times for each of the buffs that last to level...21, I think, is a bit too much. I mean, how many times can we do the same stuff over and over? Some folks have a different expectation when playing this game. Some folks just mash buttons and get their enjoyment out of interaction through chat/discord. The environment in which they do this doesn't mean much. 

So, here's the thing: if the HC devs were to make some changes, to the point where at level 2, a character can buy SOs for the ..9 or 10 slots they have, and then upgrade each level using the auto button...I wouldn't have a problem with it, per se, but for me, it would make the game void of dopamine rush. Nothing to get excited about. I say that with the background of having reached 50 t-4 in all incarnate slots well over 100 times.  Obviously, if I were a newer player, I could still find the content engaging and interesting. Maybe fun. But honestly, I've never had "fun" playing this game. Engaging, interesting - at times. But when the right enhancement or recipe drops - ding - dopamine to the brain! 

I don't expect anyone else to view things the way I do. And I don't think you're alone with your position on the topic. I think any pushback you're getting is from folks who don't see your position as a problem, but as an opportunity for a goal, something to work towards. 

• Thumbs Up 1