Mind control

WitchofDread

On 8/22/2021 at 10:02 PM, oedipus_tex said:

Clearly we disagree, probably because we value the ability to stack Confusion on AVs differently. So I will make the case that if you specifically care about soloing AVs Mind ranks higher.

Not even and I will change my mind when evidence is presented, visual evidence, not theories, that Mind will out perform Dark when it comes to soloing AVs. 

Is there a Mind Dominator who may present hard evidence of this?  So unless there is actual evidence for this, I will say the claim is a no go. 

I know a few Mind Dominators who will not claim that Mind outperforms Dark in soloing AVs. 

8 hours ago, Voltak said:

Not even and I will change my mind when evidence is presented, visual evidence, not theories, that Mind will out perform Dark when it comes to soloing AVs. 

Is there a Mind Dominator who may present hard evidence of this?  So unless there is actual evidence for this, I will say the claim is a no go. 

I know a few Mind Dominators who will not claim that Mind outperforms Dark in soloing AVs. 

Altho I'm not a big lover of Mind Control, the glass half full part of me has me curious whether a Mind/Dark build could potentially deal enough damage to be an AV soloist similar to the Dark/Dark builds you've posted. Mind/Dark should be able to proc out Dominate for significant damage, and if it gets into a dangerous spot, can hit Hypnosis to halt the fight. At least on paper, Mind's single target damage chain is great. The Mind build would need enough accuracy for Dominate to land consistently, and enough Defense for the lost -ToHit to not matter. On a build devoted to it, both seem achievable. 

On the other hand, Mind Control's lack of pets may mean even with a fierce attack chain Mind doesn't keep up. I'm not sure how much damage Haunt and the dog pet contribute and their survivability in a real situation. Also I imagine the lack of an immobilize starts to suck real quickly, tho in theory Dark Assault does have a (melee range) immobilize if you are brave enough to use it.

One big takeaway from all this though is that Drain Life is significantly better than I ever gave it credit for being. I did have a 50 Earth/Dark I never thought much of, but seeing how Drain Life plays into single target battles my estimation of it has changed. Now having played with it more, I'd move Dark Assault into the S Tier, alongside Fire and Psi as a top Dominator set.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Altho I'm not a big lover of Mind Control, the glass half full part of me has me curious whether a Mind/Dark build could potentially deal enough damage to be an AV soloist similar to the Dark/Dark builds you've posted. Mind/Dark should be able to proc out Dominate for significant damage, and if it gets into a dangerous spot, can hit Hypnosis to halt the fight. At least on paper, Mind's single target damage chain is great. The Mind build would need enough accuracy for Dominate to land consistently, and enough Defense for the lost -ToHit to not matter. On a build devoted to it, both seem achievable. 

On the other hand, Mind Control's lack of pets may mean even with a fierce attack chain Mind doesn't keep up. I'm not sure how much damage Haunt and the dog pet contribute and their survivability in a real situation. Also I imagine the lack of an immobilize starts to suck real quickly, tho in theory Dark Assault does have a (melee range) immobilize if you are brave enough to use it.

One big takeaway from all this though is that Drain Life is significantly better than I ever gave it credit for being. I did have a 50 Earth/Dark I never thought much of, but seeing how Drain Life plays into single target battles my estimation of it has changed. Now having played with it more, I'd move Dark Assault into the S Tier, alongside Fire and Psi as a top Dominator set.

Of course I agree with you on a lot of things here. 

And as you may understand, I will keep my view as "until proven that it can do so, Mind control is not in the same league as Dark control for killing AVs".

THis is even more important as the AVs in question are above lvl 50, or, as I make the case, a lvl 25 AV like Clamor who will demolish your defenses. 

So, about your statement about how much pets matter -> the higher the AV is above you in levels, the more they matter.   When the AV is +3 or +4 this matters a lot. 

To battle the lvl 54s AV I have to use immobs, since for some reason , they run a lot more than lower levels ( funny, I think) 

I have a lot more videos coming. 

From my tests and my experience, it's not Dark assault that has to catch up to any other set in game. 

It is the other sets that have to catch up to dark assault because the fact of the matter is that dmg alone is not the key when facing harder and harder content, but utility becomes very significant. 

Like other games of this sort - > you only need to find that spot where you do just enough dmg to get the kill and you need enough utility for the other factors to fall in place to get the job done as you do harder content. 

12 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

I have a Mind/Dark.  To grind hard into the AV's you need high DPS and/or lots of pets.  Dark Assault has more survivability in it thanks to the heal but in terms of DPS is far outclassed by lots of assaults.   If you can manage your survivability in other ways you're better off with a more damaging assault.  Dark control is the better ST damage source of the controls with the pets it has plus the -tohitt that goes along with its control aspect.  

As someone who has done lots of AVs solo, I can say that you don't need lots of pets.  The Clamor AV challenge is a great benchmark. Try doing that with no temps, no P2W, no summons, and only using small inspirations.  You will appreciate the difficulty a lot more. 
Dark assault is not only good for  killing AVs for the heals alone. That's just not true
You don't kill AVs with heals. 
It has very good dmg to overcome AVs. 

The evidence is there that Dark can take down AVs and do it very well. 

We have to be careful making unproven claims or make claims when we don't know FOR SURE about the specific subject - soloing AVs with a dominator or a dark assault or dark/dark dom.  

Lots of theories floating around about how to do do this.  People making claims that they then cannot backup. 
The players who have actually done this, and done it lots of times know a bit more about what you need or don't.  
THen you have players who can't do it and then come to the forums and talk about what is needed or not. 

Let me present the hard facts so there's no confusion --> Dark assault has enough dmg to take down AVs , it has enough dmg to make good pylon times. 

More important than dmg when when it comes to soloing AVs, especially AVs that hit hard or are 53 or 54, more important is utility or survival.  You do 0 DPS dead.
This is where Dark outshines them all. The to hit debuffs stacking from the secondary, and if you have dark primary, that goes a longer way. 

This was a result posted in the pylon thread

Oh, and it is important to point out before you read the rest of the data below , that 
*** This was just with the secondary. No primary power used like the pets.  The instant snipe feels pretty much like a Stalker AS if you use it this way. ***

I just did a quick test how the Dominator would work out on test 

Dark Assault+Ice Mastery (Test Server with snipe changes)

Degenerative Core Flawless

Musculature Core Paragon

Ageless Core Epiphany (for endurance)

Perma Domination

Chain:Smite-Midnight Grasp-Gloom-Moon Beam (Gather Shadows-Sleet when up)

Assualt Radial Embodiment (double dmg)

2:20  ~401.72dps

2:21  ~399.78dps

Assault Core Embodiment (+dmg)

2:13 ~416.13dps

2:04 ~437.96dps

The +dmg Dominator proc was in Midnight Grasp. Pure +dmg Hyprid slot did work a little better then the double hit

Sleet did have both (target aoe) -res procs in it

Edited by Voltak

21 minutes ago, Voltak said:

As someone who has done lots of AVs solo, I can say that you don't need lots of pets.  The Clamor AV challenge is a great benchmark. Try doing that with no temps, no P2W, no summons, and only using small inspirations.  You will appreciate the difficulty a lot more. 
Dark assault is not only good for  killing AVs for the heals alone. That's just not true
You don't kill AVs with heals. 
It has very good dmg to overcome AVs. 

The evidence is there that Dark can take down AVs and do it very well. 

We have to be careful making unproven claims or make claims when we don't know FOR SURE about what we are talking about. 

Lots of theories floating around about how to do do this.  People making claims that they then cannot backup. 
The players how have actually done this, and done it lots of times know a bit more about what you need or don't.  
THen you have players who can't do it and then come to the forums and talk about what is needed or not. 

Let me present the hard facts so there's no confusion --> Dark assault has enough dmg to take down AVs , it has enough dmg to make good pylon times. 

More important than dmg when when it comes to soloing AVs, especially AVs that hit hard or are 53 or 54, more important is utility or survival.  You do 0 DPS dead.
This is where Dark outshines them all. The to hit debuffs stacking from the secondary, and if you have dark primary, that goes a longer way. 

This was a result I posted in the pylon thread

Oh, and it is important to point out before you read the rest of the data below , that 
*** This was just with the secondary. No primary power used like the pets.  The instant snipe feels pretty much like a Stalker AS if you use it this way. ***

Musculature Core Paragon

Perma Domination

The +dmg Dominator proc was in Midnight Grasp. Pure +dmg Hyprid slot did work a little better then the double hit

Then there's people that want someone to show them how they can claim to clear a map so much faster than their control can allow by following their rules of no inspirations, no temp powers, then telling them no Lores so okay lets reset.  

This person starts to show them that they can use the powers in their primary such as Confuse and Mass Confuse to have half of the map kill itself for much faster clear times than Dark Control could ever hope to achieve.  Upon realizing this the person watching gets salty that Mind control has that kind of control and then starts to bicker with how this person is allowed to deploy their primary control powers in the middle of showing them.  

No one disputes Dark control is better for AV's.  The dps is far better on Energy assault for instance though.  I know because I have played both.  Yes Dark assault has -tohitt and a heal but outside of Moonbeam there's not much oomph, which you can easily determine by creating a new character and looking at the dpa when picking powers.

Maybe you should test out Mind control before you tell someone how they are allowed to use Mass Confusion.  Objectivity is not your strong suit.  

Edited by Mezmera

The issue here , the subject matter here is killing AVs, and the subject matter(s) that I am specifically addressing is what works, especially dark control or dark assault or dark/dark. 

I was addressing the false claim made by someone who does not know what they are talking about specifically to this subject.  Also addressing that people who can't do it are coming here to claim what works or does not work or what is better or what is worse. 

I presented the facts and I have presented the evidence. 

If anyone wants to make a claim on this issue, the evidence should be there to back it up. 

The rest of the things you said are not relevant to this discussion and it sounds like you are attacking me, and that is against the forum rules. 

Be careful. 

3 minutes ago, Voltak said:

The issue here , the subject matter here is killing AVs, and the subject matter(s) that I am specifically addressing is what works, especially dark control or dark assault or dark/dark. 

I was addressing the false claim made by someone who does not know what they are talking about specifically to this subject.  Also addressing that people who can't do it are coming here to claim what works or does not work or what is better or what is worse. 

I presented the facts and I have presented the evidence. 

If anyone wants to make a claim on this issue, the evidence should be there to back it up. 

The rest of the things you said are not relevant to this discussion and it sounds like you are attacking me, and that is against the forum rules. 

Be careful. 

We are in the Mind control topic.  If you can't grasp the simple concept of what Mass Confusion allows you to do maybe crawl back into the "Dark/Dark" control topic.

You're the one that wants to dictate how someone is allowed to deploy playing their primary powerset like Mind control is supposed to play like Dark control for some reason.  

I have played almost all of the dom controls and assaults.  I'm objective enough to know there's differences in powers.  

36 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

We are in the Mind control topic.  If you can't grasp the simple concept of what Mass Confusion allows you to do maybe crawl back into the "Dark/Dark" control topic.

You're the one that wants to dictate how someone is allowed to deploy playing their primary powerset like Mind control is supposed to play like Dark control for some reason.  

I have played almost all of the dom controls and assaults.  I'm objective enough to know there's differences in powers.  

I will present the evidence that the issue Oedipus_tex and I are or were discussing in the few posts was this statement made by him, this issue specifically

“Clearly we disagree, probably because we value the ability to stack Confusion on AVs differently. So I will make the case that if you specifically care about soloing AVs Mind ranks higher.”

So the issue I was addressing, the issue we proceeded to discuss was this statement. 

I responded with

“Not even and I will change my mind when evidence is presented, visual evidence, not theories, that Mind will out perform Dark when it comes to soloing AVs. 

I know a few Mind Dominators who will not claim that Mind outperforms Dark in soloing AVs. “

Then Oedipus responded with

“Altho I'm not a big lover of Mind Control, the glass half full part of me has me curious whether a Mind/Dark build could potentially deal enough damage to be an AV soloist similar to the Dark/Dark builds you've posted. Mind/Dark should be able to proc out Dominate for significant damage, and if it gets into a dangerous spot, can hit Hypnosis to halt the fight. At least on paper, Mind's single target damage chain is great”

The evidence is clear and unequivocal — the issue being discussed by him and me in the last few posts is killing AVs and comparing the two sets to do that.

If that is not enough —

YOU proceeded to make a statement addressing this very same subject matter

“I have a Mind/Dark.  To grind hard into the AV's you need high DPS and/or lots of pets.  Dark Assault has more survivability in it thanks to the heal but in terms of DPS is far outclassed by lots of assaults.   If you can manage your survivability in other ways you're better off with a more damaging assault.  Dark control is the better ST damage source of the controls with the pets it has plus the -to hit that goes along with its control aspect.  “ 

So, it is clear, and I am correct - the subject matter being discussed is killing AVs and comparing one set with another

I proceeded to clear up or debunk  a few claims being made on this subject matter specifically ->

Claims made by players who never done this , who cannot back up claims being made, or so far can’t do this task of soloing AVs,  and therefore don’t know, or don’t posses a first hand knowledge or experience  about what really works, and what does not work, when it comes to this task.

Edited by Voltak

5 minutes ago, Voltak said:

I will present the evidence that the issue Oedipus_tex and I are or were discussing in the few posts was this statement made by him, this issue specifically

“Clearly we disagree, probably because we value the ability to stack Confusion on AVs differently. So I will make the case that if you specifically care about soloing AVs Mind ranks higher.”

So the issue I was addressing, the issue we proceeded to discuss was this statement. 

I responded with

“Not even and I will change my mind when evidence is presented, visual evidence, not theories, that Mind will out perform Dark when it comes to soloing AVs. 

I know a few Mind Dominators who will not claim that Mind outperforms Dark in soloing AVs. “

Then Oedipus responded with

“Altho I'm not a big lover of Mind Control, the glass half full part of me has me curious whether a Mind/Dark build could potentially deal enough damage to be an AV soloist similar to the Dark/Dark builds you've posted. Mind/Dark should be able to proc out Dominate for significant damage, and if it gets into a dangerous spot, can hit Hypnosis to halt the fight. At least on paper, Mind's single target damage chain is great”

The evidence is clear and unequivocal — the issue being discussed by him and me in the last few posts is killing AVs and comparing the two sets to do that.

If that is not enough —

YOU proceeded to make a statement addressing this very same subject matter

“I have a Mind/Dark.  To grind hard into the AV's you need high DPS and/or lots of pets.  Dark Assault has more survivability in it thanks to the heal but in terms of DPS is far outclassed by lots of assaults.   If you can manage your survivability in other ways you're better off with a more damaging assault.  Dark control is the better ST damage source of the controls with the pets it has plus the -to hit that goes along with its control aspect.  “ 

So, it is clear, and I am correct - the subject matter being discussed is killing AVs and comparing one set with another

I proceeded to clear up or debunk  a few claims being made on this subject matter specifically ->

Claims made by players who never done this , who cannot back up claims being made, or so far can’t do this task of soloing AVs,  and therefore don’t know, or don’t posses a first hand knowledge or experience  about what really works, and what does not work, when it comes to this task.

See my last response.  You don't have any idea how Mind Control plays.  What you are doing in this topic befuddles me.  You can toss out whatever gibberish you like, it doesn't make you look any more objective.  

58 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

No one disputes Dark control is better for AV's.  The dps is far better on Energy assault for instance though. 

Additionally, I am not coming to the forums to claim that in the subject or the task of killing an AV or AVs that energy is better than Dark assault in terms of dmg. 

I don't have the evidence to back that claim at all 

I do have the evidence of dark assault killing AVs and I have evidence of DARK ASSAULT ONLY ( NO primary used) killing the pylon. 

I presented the data above, and you are welcome to read it. 

If you want to claim that energy is better than dark to kill an AV in terms of dmg, SHOW the evidence (talk is cheap).   Or you can post pylons times USING ONLY energy assault secondary and not your primary at all. 

Again, data or evidence = supreme.  Present either of those and then I could believe in any claim being made on this specific issue. 

7 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

See my last response.  You don't have any idea how Mind Control plays.  What you are doing in this topic befuddles me.  You can toss out whatever gibberish you like, it doesn't make you look any more objective.  

I proved irrefutably that the subject matter Ode and I were addressing was killing AV and comparing sets. 

I also addressed the issue that some claims were being made by players who have no experience , no first hand experience or no first hand knowledge, or simply can't do it, about doing this, yet make claims on the subject matter. 

Edited by Voltak

16 minutes ago, Voltak said:

I proved irrefutably that the subject matter Ode and I were addressing was killing AV and comparing sets. 

I also addressed the issue that some claims were being made by players who have no experience , no first hand experience or no first hand knowledge, or simply can't do it, about doing this, yet make claims on the subject matter. 

You lost any objectivity when you were telling me how I am allowed to use Mass Confusion.  While doing so in the middle of me fighting.  Constantly talking during someone's backswing is considered very bad etiquette.  

Edited by Mezmera

You are talking outside of the subject matter being addressed in my discussion with Oedi, to which you entered that specific discussion and made a claim that is not proven to be true , and  you made the claim when you  can't do this and you have no experience doing it first hand. 

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

No one disputes Dark control is better for AV's.  The dps is far better on Energy assault for instance though.  I know because I have played both. 

Here you make another claim that I think you cannot prove, and you have zero first hand experience to back up your claim. 

If you did not see the data above, I will post it here again .  Now, would you be so kind as to present the evidence to back up your claim?  Compare your data with the data below, then we can know the truth.   Agree?

This was a result posted in the pylon thread

*** This was just with the secondary. ***
—> No primary power used like the pets. 
I say again only for emphasis —>
No primary power used
NO PETS

Musculature Core Paragon

Perma Domination

• Thumbs Down 1

Oedi and I were discussing Mind and Dark on the subject matter of killing AVs.   A matter that came up since one of the issues later addressed about Mind was killing AVs. 
That happened on this thread 

YOU jumped into that discussion between him and I and you made claims 1) not proven 2) based on no first hand experience 3) you don't know about that first hand 4) you can't even manage to do 

Anyway, you care to back up your claim that in terms of dmg Energy assault is better for dealing with AVs, better than Dark assault?  

How about pylon times?

Can you prove your claim?

• Thumbs Down 1

Thread derail lol. 

Mind control is a great power set for controlling. Of course, every set has its plusses and minuses. Every set. Back before pet control, I used to look on as fire guys went nuts with their imps. I kept playing my mind guy. It's each to their own. No one is more uber than anyone else as everyone can have the same build.

At the end of all of this, the name of the game is being a good, fun teammate. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Voltak said:

Oedi and I were discussing Mind and Dark on the subject matter of killing AVs.   A matter that came up since one of the issues later addressed about Mind was killing AVs. 
That happened on this thread 

YOU jumped into that discussion between him and I and you made claims 1) not proven 2) based on no first hand experience 3) you don't know about that first hand 4) you can't even manage to do 

Anyway, you care to back up your claim that in terms of dmg Energy assault is better for dealing with AVs, better than Dark assault?  

How about pylon times?

Can you prove your claim?

energy assault and fire assault will kill an AV quicker than dark. higher damage numbers and very low animation times (esp for fire, plus every power for my mind/fire is ranged)

no need for debuffs/defense when insps exist. my objective is to kill things as quick as possible using whatever i can get my hands on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

energy assault and fire assault will kill an AV quicker than dark. higher damage numbers and very low animation times (esp for fire, plus every power for my mind/fire is ranged)

no need for debuffs/defense when insps exist. my objective is to kill things as quick as possible using whatever i can get my hands on

Anyone can state things like these. 

Everyone has a right to say what they want.  That's ok. 

Show me the evidence that energy assault will kill an AV quicker than Dark assault under the same conditions of each of the AV fights posted?
Remember that some of these fights are done with ZERO inspirations.  For example, the fights vs the Lvl 54 AVs in the ITF were done with no inspirations.  
AV Arakhn also done with no inspirations.  
AV Burkholder with no inspiration.  
Lvl 53 Sinclair only one single inspiration used. 
Try lvl 54 Carnies AV (small inspirations only)
Clamor AV  (small inspirations) 

I also posted pylon times for dark assault with no primary set used , no pets used. 
DO you have pylon times for Energy assault without the use of the primary set at all?

Do you have videos or links to these videos  where we can see this claim being proven?

Theories abound on the forums, lot's of talk from peeps who have not done things being discussed. 
Lot's of talk from people who have no first hand experience killing AVs solo with a dominator. 

YOu are welcome to show me data or evidence to prove your claim about energy assault under the same conditions. 

Edited by Voltak

13 minutes ago, Voltak said:

Anyone can state things like these. 

Everyone has a right to say what they want.  That's ok. 

Show me the evidence that energy assault will kill an AV quicker than Dark assault under the same conditions of each of the AV fights posted?
Remember that some of these fights are done with ZERO inspirations.  For example, the fights vs the Lvl 54 AVs in the ITF were done with no inspirations.  
AV Arakhn also done with no inspirations.  
AV Burkholder with no inspiration.  
Lvl 53 Sinclair only one single inspiration used. 
Try lvl 54 Carnies AV (small inspirations only)
Clamor AV  (small inspirations) 

I also posted pylon times for dark assault with no primary set used , no pets used. 
DO you have pylon times for Energy assault without the use of the primary set at all?

Do you have videos or links to these videos  where we can see this claim being proven?

Theories abound on the forums, lot's of talk from peeps who have not done things being discussed. 
Lot's of talk from people who have no first hand experience killing AVs solo with a dominator. 

YOu are welcome to show me data or evidence to prove your claim about energy assault under the same conditions. 

in-game you can right click powers and it shows you the damage of each power, the activation times etc

• Like 1

That's not proof nor evidence. 

Evidence is 

In-game you can go kill the AV or the Pylon and it shows wether you did it or failed to do so. 

"On paper" things may appear to be, but when the fight starts, it's a whole different issue. 

Also, be aware that I am not making claims that Dark assault does more than anything else. 

The important thing is not making claims that you cannot prove, especially in practice, actually unable to do what you claim. 

Show me your pylon times  or show me your video of you doing what you claim you will do. 

Otherwise, it's just talk, making unproven, unverified claims. 

Edited by Voltak

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

in-game you can right click powers and it shows you the damage of each power, the activation times etc

Don't pay him much mind.  When I was showing him how much faster Mind control can accomplish things I was Mass Confusing one group and then engaging a 2nd.  Which he was bickering with me that I wasn't allowed to do that.  That should give you an idea of where his mindset is at.  

On 8/31/2021 at 3:48 PM, Mezmera said:

Don't pay him much mind.  When I was showing him how much faster Mind control can accomplish things I was Mass Confusing one group and then engaging a 2nd.  Which he was bickering with me that I wasn't allowed to do that.  That should give you an idea of where his mindset is at.  

You can view the statements and the performance in the link below. 

Your statements and your performance, when taken together provide a lot of insight. 

Since actions speak louder than words, what a better way than to see it all?

• Thumbs Down 1

11 minutes ago, Voltak said:

You can view the statements and the performance in the link below. 

Your statements and your performance, when taken together provide a lot of insight. 

Since actions speak louder than words, what a better way than to see it all?

Dude. 

You want me to come perform on the spot in something you likely practiced and practiced until you got the time you were happy with then posted the video.  Okay fine I'll come show you how it's done.  But you have no awareness if you don't think I'm going to use my best power to get a mob to kill itself while I fight another one.  

If you're going to be in there to observe that I'm not using temp powers, inspirations or Lore's that's fine.  But beyond that observation means being quiet, which I had warned you twice to be quiet if you'll want me to stay and indulge you.  After the 2nd time of you telling me what I was allowed to do while I was using my regular abilities I had to see myself off.  

I even said that I'd be fine with doing it separate of having you inside with your partner that was videoing me.  

Let this die.  It's unreal the levels you're going to to prove how dense you are about Mind Control.  Your Reddit community can think you a god or whatever, but we know better here.  

Edited by Mezmera