HELP NEEDED: Magisterium Triple Threat

Oklahoman

Yeah, it's not for everybody.  I was a slow, somewhat reluctant, convert to discord.  I like it now, but back when I started using it on Roll20 it just irked me that I couldn't use the in-game Roll20 voice chat because it's so buggy.

I have occasional issues with discord but, for the most part, it seems to work pretty well.  Disconnect/Reconnect typically solves in sound issues I have.

@Oklahoman, on Everlasting there is a Master of Magi run every Saturday night (I think... I'm at +9 GMT) where the whole thing is executed via chat only. If you haven't already participated in one I think you should give it a look.

A lot (though not all) of the suggestions in this thread are applied. I also think the ELTFs community* leaders also primarily use Request chat to give instructions during the Trials because it pops out in a vibrant magenta and contrasts well against the sky blue of the League chat. Not sure if they bake this in to their popmenus or just have their outgoing chat set to that, but it's something to consider.

*/chan_join "Everlasting TFs" ; visible from any shard and the MotD will have the daily raid schedule.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

@Oklahoman, on Everlasting there is a Master of Magi run every Saturday night (I think... I'm at +9 GMT) where the whole thing is executed via chat only. If you haven't already participated in one I think you should give it a look.

A lot (though not all) of the suggestions in this thread are applied. I also think the ELTFs community* leaders also primarily use Request chat to give instructions during the Trials because it pops out in a vibrant magenta and contrasts well against the sky blue of the League chat. Not sure if they bake this in to their popmenus or just have their outgoing chat set to that, but it's something to consider.

*/chan_join "Everlasting TFs" ; visible from any shard and the MotD will have the daily raid schedule.

There's no question, I see value in a leader attending other leaders' trial runs just to gain a different perspective. (Not that Oklahoman doesn't do this already - I've no idea). 
The players on Everlasting, like Excelsior, can be hit or miss as well. But the leaders there do make things quite clear for the leagues. 

One thought occurs to me - which may be out of bounds for @Oklahoman. Try a run without the RP type jargon. Use the speech you might use in every day life, avoiding words like "Varmint" and such. When you're having fun with it, it may come across as not taking things seriously. And if you're not taking it seriously, why should anyone else? While that may not be the case - my perception is my reality. That may not be fair, or even accurate to say that, it is true. 

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

There's no question, I see value in a leader attending other leaders' trial runs just to gain a different perspective. (Not that Oklahoman doesn't do this already - I've no idea). 

I completely agree, and I absolutely do. I haven't seen on Excelsior, though, many attempts for Triple Threat without Discord. You probably don't see me join others runs as Oklahoman, though, but rather one of my alts. I'm always curious how others run things, even for things I run frequently myself.

As an aside - one of the things I frequently learn from others runs is what instructions I no longer need to give, so I can streamline what I do. Less is more.

14 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

on Everlasting there is a Master of Magi run every Saturday night (I think... I'm at +9 GMT) where the whole thing is executed via chat only. If you haven't already participated in one I think you should give it a look.

I definitely need to check this out, assuming Everlasting will have any of my toons back. 🙂 I'd also welcome their input here, if you want to mention it to them next time you see them forming. If they've cracked this nut, we need to share that info with everyone else.

14 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

use Request chat

I hate the Request channel slightly less than Discord. 🙂 I'm open to it if it would help, but any channel I have to give instructions to people to join and monitor is already problematic. I'll toy with this, though. I'm open to new ideas.

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

Try a run without the RP type jargon. Use the speech you might use in every day life, avoiding words like "Varmint" and such.

First off, I scanned all my log files, because I save all of them like a digital hoarder, and I can definitely say I HAVE NOT used the word Varmint.  🙂 Your point is not lost, though -clear English at critical times. I think I do that, at least in this case, but I'm open to being corrected. Here is the relevant portion of my current popmenu for that run:

Spoiler

WE ARE GOING FOR THE TRIPLE THREAT BADGE. We're going to split up and try to drop the 3 AVs at the same time. THIS AIN'T EASY, SO FOLLOW CHAT CLOSELY!

AFTER THIS we split up for the AVs. Take the AVs to 10% and HOLD.
TEAM 1 -> CHIMERA

TEAM 2 -> SHADOWHUNTER

TEAM 3 -> NEGA-PENDRAGON

We want all 3 AVs to drop together! Try to taunt Nega-Pendragon and Shadowhunter near each other.

I don't have this in a popmenu, but once everyone is at 10 I tend to say "GO TO 5 AND STOP" and "GO TO 2 AND STOP", or some slight variation thereof. I had some confusion from the group saying "WE'LL FOLLOW NEGA-PENDRAGON" (meaning Nega should drop first and everyone would take that as a cue to finish off the others), so I've been trying something different now. If any of that is coming across more as RP than instruction, check me on that. And I can definitely move a lot of that to Request (ick) to see if it helps.

I do appreciate everyone's constructive feedback on this. It's hard for me to believe we can't find a way to do this with at least a 50% success rate.

I'm hard pressed to think of any reason why you can't hit 50% success even without changing anything. The RNG with the untimely ports and regen ticks can certainly ruin things...but I'd think 1/2 fairly doable. I will have to see if I can't find a block of time and make sure I'm on when you run one. Maybe it's something that's more obvious from within the map...<shrug>

Had success on 2 out of 3 Triple Threat runs recently, and wanted to share what we did. This is via chat only - not using Discord or TeamSpeak. I only use 50+3's for this, and I mix the teams up as best I can. Sometimes, 11 blasters show up and you do your best.

During the Kill 250 IDF phase, make this announcement in league:

AFTER THIS we split up for the AVs. Take the AVs to 10% and HOLD.

Just before all 250 IDF are killed (arrested?) make this announcement in league:

TEAM 1 -> CHIMERA

TEAM 2 -> SHADOWHUNTER

TEAM 3 -> NEGA-PENDRAGON

We want all 3 AVs to drop together! Try to taunt Nega-Pendragon and Shadowhunter near each other.

The biggest change was this - when the league approaches 10%, 5%, and 2% on the AVs, make these announcements as appropriate BOTH in league AND request:

TAKE ALL AVs TO 10 AND STOP! WATCH PETS!
TAKE ALL AVs TO 5 AND STOP! LOW DAMAGE ONLY NOW! NO AOE!

TAKE ALL AVs TO 2 AND STOP! WAIT FOR MY SIGNAL!

Once at 2% on all AVs, hold until Chimera jumps. Then, make this announcement in league only once Team 1 is re-engaged with Chimera:

GO NEGA!!

Once you see Nega-Pendragon hit 1%, then announce for the rest of the league to go. I use F10 (multiple times) which for me says "FINISH 'EM!!" I hit F10 3-4 times so it occupies most of the chat window.

Still some luck involved. In the one case we failed, Chimera ticked up a few percentage points after I called to "FINISH 'EM!!" Rotten luck. Of course, you can always have players who aren't reading chat, aren't watching their pets, etc. Best you can do as a leader, I think, is get the league in a position to succeed then hope for the best.

Why announce both in league and request as you whittle the AVs down? For those who have the request channel enabled, it just emphasizes that stage. All the sudden there is purple text in chat at this crucial stage. Maybe it's catching more people's eyes at that point. People who have the request channel silenced still should see it in league. I have all my instructions in popmenus so I just send the same message to both channels with 1 click.

Giving Nega that head start at the end let's you see if there is an issue there. If you notice they are hung on 2%, delay your call for the rest of the league until you see movement. It's hard to put the brakes on at this point, but if you do see one of the AVs tick up you can try to stop everyone and reset to 2%.

Calling for Nega to go right after Chimera TPs will maximize the time that team has on Chimera in the final moments. You don't want Chimera TPing just before he's ready to bite the dust.

I'll keep running with this method and may add to it, but for anyone else who is trying this using the chat window only, maybe it gives you some ideas. Share you experiences, too!

• Like 1