Clearing locked character names

Snarky

There have been a great number of folks who have wandered through Homecoming servers.  Many creat dozens, even hundreds of characters.  Glad to have all of you.  

For those who stopped in but have mot logged in for two tears or so….   Do we really need to save their character names for them?  Really?  Because…..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

It may be possible, but you know how these things are.  You'd first need approvals signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Then there would need to be some advanced public notification first, say a 50 year posting at the planning office on Alpha Centauri.  If they've not checked the postings by then, it's their own fault.

Honestly though, I feel your pain.  I've lost a great deal of time trying seemingly  every permutation of a desired name, only to see the red X repeatedly.  I realize folks have a lot of alts, but I have to believe we don't have a population high enough to equal the number of rejections I'm seeing.  It's like speculative website squatters have been name hording.

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Techwright said:

It may be possible, but you know how these things are.  You'd first need approvals signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Then there would need to be some advanced public notification first, say a 50 year posting at the planning office on Alpha Centauri.  If they've not checked the postings by then, it's their own fault.

Now here's a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 6

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I would agree if your level 1-19. If you are level 20 or better, then you should have a lock on the name.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

The GMs have it posted somewhere stating they will never release a lvl 50 toon  name but all toons 1-49 is possible. I think it in the help/questions section. It might be in terms & agreement. I forget.

Edited by RCU7115
  • Thumbs Up 1

Re-engineering the code to allow for names to be based on character/global combo is a really worthy undertaking IMO.  It's how Cryptic did it in their later games and this isn't an issue there.  But you know, we need those stupid travel power changes!  that's a priority!!  

19 minutes ago, drgantz said:

I've seen this posted in other games.  One person mentioned that someone could be away in the military.

some consideration does need to be given here for that.  if an account hasn't logged in in a couple of years though, chances are pretty good they're gone for good and level 49 and below names should be released.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

IMO, if a person hasn’t logged in for two years or more (military or otherwise, level 50 or otherwise), then he or she is never coming back.

There were a ton of people who made a lot of characters between April 2019 and September 2019, left Homecoming, and are simply never coming back.

Edited by Apparition
  • Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

IMO, if a person hasn’t logged in for two years or more (military or otherwise, level 50 or otherwise), then he or she is never coming back.

I took more than 2 years away on live. This is not something you can ever assume. The devs can draw a line and deal with the repercussions, but at no point can they draw a line AND entirely avoid pissing off some players.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, arcane said:

I took more than 2 years away on live. This is not something you can ever assume. The devs can draw a line and deal with the repercussions, but at no point can they draw a line AND entirely avoid pissing off some players.

Biting the bullet and re-engineering the base code to allow for character name to be done by character name/global combo would avoid pissing anyone off.  Before people start bitching, yeah I know it's a huge, huge job to do that.  I'm just saying its an investment worth making if this game is going to last IMO and HC want to show what they can really do with the code.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

38 minutes ago, arcane said:

Ok what taken name upset us this time?

Actually i have 95% of the names i want/need.  But i see SG mates struggle with names.  Or league leaders trying to invite someone and struggle.  Because clowny is spelled c10wny but it takes three minutes to figure this out

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

Logged in to their account or logged in to a character on their account? 

Just my 2 inf but it should go by whether an account has been logged in.  If an account is still active a person has the ability to contact a name owner to discuss whether or not they want to release it.  If an account hasn't been logged into at all in years, it's probably safe to say they aren't coming back.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

What if they're away in the military for the next 20 years until they retire and then they want to play the game again on their hypnoflavotronic quantum fantabulator?

Edited by Mopery
  • Haha 3

What, me worry?

35 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Just my 2 inf but it should go by whether an account has been logged in.  If an account is still active a person has the ability to contact a name owner to discuss whether or not they want to release it.  If an account hasn't been logged into at all in years, it's probably safe to say they aren't coming back.

QFT

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

26 minutes ago, Mopery said:

What if they're away in the military for the next 20 years until they retire and then they want to play the game again on their hypnoflavotronic quantum fantabulator?

People in all modern militaries have will have access computers, it's not like being in the military means a person lives in a barracks with no access to the outside world - I'd even wager to say the majority of lower enlisted in the U.S. military own either a game console or a computer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png