Clearing locked character names

Snarky

5 hours ago, _Kai_ said:

Globals in character names is a terrible idea. Yeah yeah 'I want my name' yeah yeah 'it solves all the problems', no it actually creates a big problem where if someone's out to harass you they have all they need to do so no matter when, where, or on who you log into.  Sure now you can get a global name, but unless the person agrees to be global friends you'd have to sit around and /getglobalname every character you see/can think of to stalk them.

I was in Champions in the dark days between CoH shutdown and HC going public. Never had an issue like this or knew anyone who did. Is it possible? Certainly. Is it likely, maybe not. From my perspective (opinions will vary), the actual upside of the global naming system far, far outweighed the potential downside.

Interestingly, even though I had some characters with "obvious" names, I never ran across any characters with the same name. They were undoubtedly out there, but chance meetings with them never happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

if you want to spell your name Snrkie or Sanarki there are infinite possibilities

|-|3110, I 4m 5n4rKy.  Y u 57341 my n4m3, d00d?

Wow.  I think I just gave myself brain cancer.

• Haha 5

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Since we're looking for bold, innovative ideas. I have a good one.

Without devs discussing, announcing, or even hinting at it, after some future maintenance, we should be logging in to find out every character on every server, every supergroup, every base code, every player global handle, has been genericed and there's a 24-hour lock against creating new accounts, characters or supergroups; and we're then invited to rechoose our names, limited to one per hour the first day, universally fresh and fair. 

Edited by Andreah
  • Haha 1

I'm a little amazed that this thread has gone on for as long as it has.

I think the fundamental problem that many people have is that no matter how imaginative or funny or clever you think you are, someone else was as well, and (here's the critical part) was faster than you.  There are no judges to say who wants it more.  If your name is gone, it's gone.  In the real world, you might have legal options with trademarks, dba, etc.  But if it's gone, you have no idea if it has been taken by a nefarious name-squatter (I hear they are raking in the cash), or someone else who already has the name on a "real" character, or someone who is in the military stationed overseas, or whatever.

It's gone.

There are certainly ways to deal with your grief.  The other day I had a concept for a staff tanker, but the name Gondolier was taken on Excelsior.  Really?!?  So I tried on Everlasting and bam!  Did I want the name more than that low-life who already had it on my server of choice?  Absolutely.  I want things with a fearsome passion.  But I made do.

1393464212_2021-09-03(1).thumb.png.9e02061e766b1ed0daf3b5046887690d.png

And sometimes, you just get manna from heaven.  I fully expected this one to be taken:

2021-09-03.png.4971041737078e226c38f69ad3d77e19.png

Who run Bartertown?

21 hours ago, Dazl said:

There is no shortage of names, just a lack of creativity.

There may be great variety in the finite length we have to use for names, 'D$5LE~ñ\P', probably is not going to be highly desirable. Limitation such as, being suggestive or reflective of the character's powers, not overly wordy, humorous, serious, etc. place further constraints. I can see no scenario whereupon I name a character 'Super Blueberry Muffin'  for example (though that might well fit someone else).

Though to be fair, while there are names I wish I'd gotten for characters I have as of yet always found something I could live with.

29 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

There may be great variety in the finite length we have to use for names, 'D$5LE~ñ\P', probably is not going to be highly desirable. Limitation such as, being suggestive or reflective of the character's powers, not overly wordy, humorous, serious, etc. place further constraints. I can see no scenario whereupon I name a character 'Super Blueberry Muffin'  for example (though that might well fit someone else).

Though to be fair, while there are names I wish I'd gotten for characters I have as of yet always found something I could live with.

"Desirable" is a 100% personal and, honestly, shouldn't be weighted anywhere *near* as heavily. Yes, there's a wide range between 2p9384yupekgfwdpfugyperhfqihe and Mr Superspeed (or whatever generic-you considers deisrable, and as a side note, that's available on Everlasting with and without the period for Mr.,) but any constraints beyond that are purely player-imposed on themselves.

Of course, some of those limits people come up with - maybe "themes" is a better word - end up opening up a lot for them. Especially when they get into alt groups or families... "These are all part of project Starstrike. Starstrke Alpha. Susan Starstrike. Starstrike Hunter...." probably wouldn't have a hard time, for instance, and doesn't seem to be uncommon.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Can confirm, as of time of posting:

"Mr Superspeed" is available on Everlasting.

As is "Mr. Superspeed"

and "Mrs. Superspeed"

and "Mrs Superspeed"

and "Mister Superspeed"

and "Miss Superspeed"

and "Monseiur Superspeed"

. . . 

The question is:  For how long?

Man we have yet to scratch the surface huh

Edited by arcane

On 9/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, _Kai_ said:

Globals in character names is a terrible idea. Yeah yeah 'I want my name' yeah yeah 'it solves all the problems', no it actually creates a big problem where if someone's out to harass you they have all they need to do so no matter when, where, or on who you log into.  Sure now you can get a global name, but unless the person agrees to be global friends you'd have to sit around and /getglobalname every character you see/can think of to stalk them.

This is a non-issue, or at least no more of an issue than it already is in CoH. You do know that you can already find someone's global and local names with slash commands or even the "Notes" option when you click on them? It's not exactly top secret info.

... honestly, my brother worked in security when he served in the air force. His headgear (a blue beret) led to me calling him Sgt. Blueberry long before COH existed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.